Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much for the tithe?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 2 years ago by music*.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Inland Empire
United States
Member #118116
October 22, 2011
316 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2015, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

I consider myself as Unitarian with Buddhist leaning, which is very rare in LP. I am from a multi-religious society where different religions have equal footings. So I am somewhat familiar with non-Christian religious concepts. 

I studied many spiritual disciplines and came to realize that God gave us choices and more. He doesn't care if we give away tons of money to churches. He'd rather see us helping out each other with that money. God is patiently watching us to be happy. And surely he is ministering to non-Earthlings, too. He is a busy guy not tied to only Earth. 

Considering the major demographics of LP, I guess I ruffled more than a few feathers. Being non-scriptural is a cardinal sin in here. But being a humanitarian is more important than becoming a human ATM for preachers.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2015, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

LMAO !

That megachurch in Atlanta is looking for donations to replace their private jet.

I wonder how often a member of the congregation gets to ride in it ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Inland Empire
      United States
      Member #118116
      October 22, 2011
      316 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2015, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

LMAO !

That megachurch in Atlanta is looking for donations to replace their private jet.

I wonder how often a member of the congregation gets to ride in it ?

Oh, that guy...

He will get the plane anyway. He has a lot of supporters.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3854 Posts
        Posted: March 14, 2015, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Lot of suckers is more like it.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #77167
          July 15, 2009
          554 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2015, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

I consider myself as Unitarian with Buddhist leaning, which is very rare in LP. I am from a multi-religious society where different religions have equal footings. So I am somewhat familiar with non-Christian religious concepts. 

I studied many spiritual disciplines and came to realize that God gave us choices and more. He doesn't care if we give away tons of money to churches. He'd rather see us helping out each other with that money. God is patiently watching us to be happy. And surely he is ministering to non-Earthlings, too. He is a busy guy not tied to only Earth. 

Considering the major demographics of LP, I guess I ruffled more than a few feathers. Being non-scriptural is a cardinal sin in here. But being a humanitarian is more important than becoming a human ATM for preachers.

I have an issue with tithes that I won't go into here.  I agree with you--use the money to help needy people and God will bless you for it.  If the church was going to help people, what's the problem?

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
            Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1513 Posts
            Posted: March 14, 2015, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I believe that in the New Testament it says, " Pure religion is the care and feeding of widows and orphans" .

God bless !

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10350 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2015, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

I believe that in the New Testament it says, " Pure religion is the care and feeding of widows and orphans" .

God bless !

Bingo!

James 1:27

New King James Version (NKJV)

27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Mlynx1819's avatar - happy
                Connecticut
                United States
                Member #151468
                January 18, 2014
                140 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2015, 8:58 am - IP Logged

10% + is the bottom base for tithes, If you feel in your heart you're learning more there. Then give more. Some church has school, food pantries { food is keep there, for people or family, where someone is lay off} . Some have a place where they feed the homeless 2 time a week. Some have shelters & warehouse, where larger items are kept, bedding etc, things to start over with in case of fire or flood....etc. Most of time it all coming out of the same offering plate.

I Agree!  The Old Testament speaks of tithing (10%) and the New Testament speaks of gifting.  At the end of the day, whatever your decision is, give it in love, because God loves a cheerful giver.Dance

Portland, OR
                  United States
                  Member #145973
                  August 20, 2013
                  226 Posts
                  Posted: March 21, 2015, 10:11 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't give a penny to any church for the pastor or somebody in the church to buy a $96,000,000 jet (sorry couldn't help myself - read the news lately?).  I'd open my own foundation.  My favorite causes are anything related to the veterans (lots of respect for them), the homeless, diabetes cure, and stem cells research.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1182 Posts
                    Posted: March 22, 2015, 11:08 am - IP Logged

Amen. I'd hate to get before the Father on judgment day and be concerned about not giving HIM HIS TITHE. The tithe belongs to God, not you who working to get a check or you who hit the lottery and gain a million dollar estate. Will a man rob God, yet you have robbed me...you ask how, in tithe and offering. It's about relationship with the God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If man or your shepherd chooses to knowingly not be a good servant over the tithe trust and believe God will definitely bring him or her down. Even Jesus said give to Ceasar what belongs to him. Surely uncle sam is no greater than the God you say you believe in. If you rob uncle sam, the IRS will surely hunt you down. So why ROB God???

Well stated.

The issue I think, is how tithing is put forward by many churches, making it a mandated obligation, and while it is, if it's not given cheerfully and willingly, then the act is pointless and the money better given elsewhere.

I personally feel in my heart that 10% of MY income belongs to God. If I'm blessed enough to get millions of dollars, I would have no compunction giving tithes from it. I once spent a year on the board of my church, I know exactly where the money goes, what it's used for and in many cases helps those who are oftentimes too ashamed to let anyone but a church official know that they are in need of help. Me having a private foundation would not help those people. I know it also helps the shut ins, feeds the poor, buys school supplies for kids, funds youth outreach programs, helps the homeless and pays for the utility bills for the church.

I know exactly what the tithe is used for and the essential needs it fulfills for members and the community as well as keeping the church operational, and I want my tithes separate from any funds I may choose to donate to Goodwill or the salvation army. But again, tithing is an intensely personal covenant between an individual and God. It's no one else's business. And no one should be forced into giving if it is against their spirit to do so. As for Creflo Dollar, I am ashamed for him. Ashamed he even tried to justify his actions. But the bible did say you'd be able to tell the false prophets by their actions. And boy was this action a dead giveaway.

California
                      United States
                      Member #141204
                      April 7, 2013
                      280 Posts
                      Posted: March 23, 2015, 9:41 am - IP Logged

I occasionally attend a local Unitarian church. They don't push for anything, which can be both nice and bland at the same time.

I was thinking. If I ever won a jackpot, I will have to hire a tax attorney. I know that I will have to pay the initial 25%. But what about other 15% next year? Is there any way to avoid it? Well...

Some people create their own charity foundation and DONATE TO THEMSELVES. And AFAIK it's not illegal so far. I think I should do the same. 

Maybe I should buy some new iMacs for the church and its school. They do have a school and I want to provide some educational materials, and possibly iPads, too. And I'd donate some money regularly for better snacks after services. 

But donating 10% of the winning to the church (any church)?! No way. 

I'd use my charity organization to give away gift cards to local college veterans' clubs. Well, considering that there dozens of colleges (public alone!) in my area I guess I found a way to get a good tax credit and to help my fellow vets. A good supply of Amazon gift cards will be good for my fellow veterans. 

My closest friend is a Christian pastor. He often calls me out for lunch, and fesses up all the corruptions of churches to me. I didn't ask him to tell me such. He is utilizing me to pour out his frustration. He has no one else to tell what he has witnessed. He is a good guy. And he's barely handling the politics and whatnot inside the churches. The previous church he served was full of internal politics, so he was eventually kicked out. 

Yeah, I believe in the Lord but the whole thing doesn't exactly work out like the Scripture describes...

"Some people create their own charity foundation and DONATE TO THEMSELVES. And AFAIK it's not illegal so far. I think I should do the same."

If you win the lottery and do you this you will get audited.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: March 23, 2015, 11:32 am - IP Logged

I don't believe in the traditional tithe , specially in those churches where they ask for peoples w-2 and demand a certain quantity and the people who gives the most gets more privileges. 

I can take that 10% and make sure the money is going to worthy causes, I could feed the homeless , pay medical bills , educate and other things that I believe would be in the spirit of God. 

Is not that I don't trust religious leaders , is just that crooks go where the money and power is and in most communities the religious leaders hold a lot of power even when they are shady individuals.

There's a church here that does that, and to add insult to injury, they don't even account for where the money goes.  They tell the congregation all the time about how much good the church does, how much it helps the entire community, but then you hear stories of people needing food or utilities paid, and they are required to attend that church before they receive help. 

I believe in giving money to organizations who are at least required to account for where it is spent.  So I give to secular charities who give full accounting of how much money goes for the people running it and how much goes to the people they are helping.

If that ain't good enough for God, then I don't care what God thinks of me anyway, because we have huge philosophical differences.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                          Gurnee, Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #49731
                          February 12, 2007
                          917 Posts
                          Posted: March 23, 2015, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Who says that tithing is for a Human? You are putting God first which is the whole reason to Tithing, what the Pastor/Church does with the $$ is up to them and God. Its your commitment to God that he sees, and believe me you will get it back tenfold !!!

If you say you are a tither and do not reside in Israel or give your agricultural (crops or livestock) tithe to the Levite priests, then you are not in compliance with the Biblical tithe. The Biblical tithe is not for the Gentile believer who is no longer under the Levital Law. Last time I checked, the Bible says we have been saved by the Grace of God, not by works, and definitely not by the Law.

If one chooses to give generously to support a certain cause, that person should feel free to do so. But if one is giving out of a sense of mandate,  then that is not in keeping with New Testament Christian giving. One can quote Deuteronomy and Malachi as well as Jesus' exchange with the Pharisees all day, but I can likewise point out that the tithe of the Old Testament was ALWAYS agricultural products, never money, and that no where in the Bible does that change to one's earned income. In fact, I attended church in Africa and the preacher spoke the entire time about people giving him ransom for their lives and of course, monetary tithes. When he asked if anyone had any questions at the end, I proceeded to read the entirety of Deuteronomy 14, and pointed out that the instruction for the worshipper in that case who had to travel too far a distance to be able to carry his agricultural tithe to exchange it for money, the scripture right away instructed that worshipper to use that money to buy whatever his heart desired at the market near the place he was to worship and to consume his tithe in the presence of the LORD. Of course, the preacher tried to interject that that occurred after he had given a portion of the money to the church, but I held firm and replied that that is not what the scripture says happened. People need to read the Bible in full and in context for themselves or else these false prophets will have you believing anything.

So when I win, no I will not be tithing.  Will I be a giver?  Yes.  Those are two totally different things. The tithe was required of the Jews living under the law in the Promised Land. Since we are not Jews and do not live in Israel in a Levitical district, there is no requirement for present day Christians to pay a tithe. If one insists on paying a tithe (which is non-Biblical since money was never tithed), then you might as well prepare to follow the laws about putting lambs blood on your doorpost to ward off the plague of death, keep you woman folk separate from the men during that time of the month, marry your late brother's widow even if you are already married, and observe all of the other laws laid out  in the Old Testament.

By the way, the Biblical tithe was upwards of 23 percent of the farmers/shepard's increase since there were different tithes that were observed in a 7 year span. Of course, there was also a year in which no tithe at all was required. So you can see that present day teaching of tithing is way off base.

Just be a cheerful giver and do not utter the word "tithe". It is not required and God will not judge you on it. If you say, "Well what about Malachi 3:7? My response is to read the entire Book of Malachi and note to whom the writer is talking about in the first chapter (hint: it is aimed at the priest). Also, remember that the tithe was agricultural and it was put in the storehouse by the priests for provision for the priests, Levites, widows and orphans.

People mention that their church has school(s), but what does it do for local people or even attendees at the church that fall upon hard times? All too often, I hear that the down and out member is judged and hardly ever assisted.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Florida
                            United States
                            Member #165004
                            March 22, 2015
                            25 Posts
                            Posted: March 23, 2015, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

I recently won $500 on a scratch off ticket.  It was in the same couple of days that I received unexpected birthday cash to buy a ticket and also the same time frame a starving stray dog with a broken leg showed up in my yard.  When I won the money, I cashed in the ticket and immediately got a money order for half of it, $250 and sent it to the rescue organization that came and helped me with the dog.  They are covering vet bills and while $250 is a drop in the bucket for the work that dog will need, I couldn't help feeling like the only reason I won at all was to help that dog.  It was all just too wierd and random, that I would get unexpected birthday cash, buy a ticket, win, and this dog needing help shows up...  I don't regret helping that animal with money I wasn't expecting.  I think money is a tool and it has to be applied and put back into play to make room for more, you know?

Inland Empire
                              United States
                              Member #118116
                              October 22, 2011
                              316 Posts
                              Posted: March 24, 2015, 12:38 am - IP Logged

"Some people create their own charity foundation and DONATE TO THEMSELVES. And AFAIK it's not illegal so far. I think I should do the same."

If you win the lottery and do you this you will get audited.

But my charity organization will actually do something for good. Some politicians do it and get away with it without actually doing good things. At least I want to do good things since I am a firsthand witness of government fraud and waste.