Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

is it better to play the Powerball or Megamillions?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Redd55.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
norman
United States
Member #164499
March 4, 2015
6 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2015, 5:11 am - IP Logged

i was doing some figuring and if you match the first 5 numbers of the powerball then you have a 1 in 35 chance to win the big one since there are 35 powerball red number balls. now...on the other hand if you match the first 5 numbers on the megamillions then you have a 1 in 15 chance to match the mega ball since there are 15 mega balls.

the powerball jackpots start at $40 million and can get big really fast and cross $100+ million in just a couple weeks then grow massive after each drawing when there's no jackpot winner. now...the mega millions on the other hand starts at $15 million and takes at least 3-4 weeks before the jackpot really starts to look enticing then can grow really massive after each drawing when there's no jackpot winner...

So...based on everyone's your research and fact findings, is it better to play 16 mega millions tickets every drawing OR play 9 powerball tickets every drawing regardless of what these jackpots are at?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5754 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2015, 7:52 am - IP Logged

i was doing some figuring and if you match the first 5 numbers of the powerball then you have a 1 in 35 chance to win the big one since there are 35 powerball red number balls. now...on the other hand if you match the first 5 numbers on the megamillions then you have a 1 in 15 chance to match the mega ball since there are 15 mega balls.

the powerball jackpots start at $40 million and can get big really fast and cross $100+ million in just a couple weeks then grow massive after each drawing when there's no jackpot winner. now...the mega millions on the other hand starts at $15 million and takes at least 3-4 weeks before the jackpot really starts to look enticing then can grow really massive after each drawing when there's no jackpot winner...

So...based on everyone's your research and fact findings, is it better to play 16 mega millions tickets every drawing OR play 9 powerball tickets every drawing regardless of what these jackpots are at?

Play both. Just one or two lines each and hope to win.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
      Member #149820
      December 9, 2013
      644 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2015, 8:49 am - IP Logged

LOL I lose equally on both. Now I stick to my state games and scratch offs....unless of course either of them hit those hundereds of millions ranges

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7713 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2015, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Neither. Play Pick 3 or 4 where your chances are WAY better.

Do You Want To Win Today?  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/286011

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4144 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2015, 9:55 am - IP Logged

I recently  looked up the Map of the Continental United States & thought about all  the convenient stores, gas stations & whatever  selling MM & PB lottery tickets and thought" Every once in a while ONE of those spots gets a winner"- then l thought about MM's odds and said "Astronomical is the word Bud, "..Hope that answers the question. I will play the PB game until they mess with the odds..

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5754 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2015, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Neither. Play Pick 3 or 4 where your chances are WAY better.

I play pick 4 too.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: March 12, 2015, 10:30 am - IP Logged

When I play PB or MM I just buy 1 ticket (the exception being over 300 million for a jacket when I buy 2 tickets). Even if you bought 15 MM tickets and had all of the mega ball numbers you would still have to get the 5 numbers out of a 75 number matrix and that is impossible to win the jackpot (with the exception of the lucky few who have won jackpots).

Sunny California
                United States
                Member #40295
                May 31, 2006
                7713 Posts
                Posted: March 12, 2015, 10:37 am - IP Logged

I recently  looked up the Map of the Continental United States & thought about all  the convenient stores, gas stations & whatever  selling MM & PB lottery tickets and thought" Every once in a while ONE of those spots gets a winner"- then l thought about MM's odds and said "Astronomical is the word Bud, "..Hope that answers the question. I will play the PB game until they mess with the odds..

PB's changing in April,right? It will be almost the same odds as MM. Better win quick!

norman
                  United States
                  Member #164499
                  March 4, 2015
                  6 Posts
                  Posted: March 12, 2015, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Oh??? i wasn't aware of any changes in PB coming up till you said so. i just googled powerball changes april 2015 and saw the "bad" news and "poorer" odds to win the jackpot now becoming 1:285,000,000. i wonder if the minimum jackpot will increase from starting at $40million? also, what will be the new odds to win the 2nd tier million $$$ dollar prize? and with the new PB multiplier does one have to pay any extra $1 to get this multiplier $$$ benefits?

Sunny California
                    United States
                    Member #40295
                    May 31, 2006
                    7713 Posts
                    Posted: March 12, 2015, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Oh??? i wasn't aware of any changes in PB coming up till you said so. i just googled powerball changes april 2015 and saw the "bad" news and "poorer" odds to win the jackpot now becoming 1:285,000,000. i wonder if the minimum jackpot will increase from starting at $40million? also, what will be the new odds to win the 2nd tier million $$$ dollar prize? and with the new PB multiplier does one have to pay any extra $1 to get this multiplier $$$ benefits?

You can read all about it here on this thread...

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/283852

Maybe I'll be seeing you on the Pick 3/4 boards after all. Wink

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19895 Posts
                      Posted: March 12, 2015, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

"So...based on everyone's your research and fact findings, is it better to play 16 mega millions tickets every drawing OR play 9 powerball tickets every drawing regardless of what these jackpots are at?"

Who's research are you referring to when you say everyone?  Based on what you call research you should do what ever you want and can afford to do.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1203 Posts
                        Posted: March 12, 2015, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

Don't know which one is better to play, but after they changed the matrix, I personally only play MM when it gets to a sufficiently large amount. Also, I find them more media-whorish than PB which I abhor. So between the worse odds and the higher exploitation factor of its winners, I shy away from MM.

Droptop6969's avatar - DSCF1040
                          209 Modesto, California
                          United States
                          Member #162967
                          January 15, 2015
                          40 Posts
                          Posted: March 12, 2015, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

I play MM only,  $1 each draw,  $2 bucks a week total for both tuesday & friday drawings.  In it to win it!.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4144 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2015, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

PB's changing in April,right? It will be almost the same odds as MM. Better win quick!

l think they moved the PB matrix change  date further back LL, till June, per Lottometro's " inside " information.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
                              Member #164725
                              March 12, 2015
                              365 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2015, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

I'll take a smaller pot with bigger chances.  Once they change PB I'm done except when the pot is hundreds of millions of bucks.  I'll switch to CA Superlotto after the change. 

They must make more money on the larger pots. But as a player, I prefer smaller wins with better odds.