Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

States that offer winners the choice of anonymity

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 2 years ago by nina09.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2015, 8:57 am - IP Logged

Six states allow lottery winners to keep their identities private: Delaware, Maryland, Kansas, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
    Australia
    Member #57242
    December 24, 2007
    1102 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2015, 9:02 am - IP Logged

Sadly, Massachusetts is not on the list.Hopefully, one day it will be.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3854 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2015, 9:35 am - IP Logged

Delaware is a 90 minutes from me, Maryland add 10 minutes,

since I'm going for PB and MM there's no reason to go past Delaware.

Does Maryland have any local games that are good ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2015, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Six states allow lottery winners to keep their identities private: Delaware, Maryland, Kansas, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina.

The law needs to change so every state that has a lottery can let a person claim anonymously. If I ever won the big one would either form a trust or go collect my winnings with a paper bag over my head. I have always hated having pictures taken of me so I know there are not many of me out in the world. Frankly it's very dangerous to the lottery winners who comes forward to claim their winnings, it feels like they have a target on their backs  Sooooo wish I lived in an anonymous state but I don't.

NYC
          United States
          Member #161115
          November 17, 2014
          126 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2015, 10:51 am - IP Logged

The law needs to change so every state that has a lottery can let a person claim anonymously. If I ever won the big one would either form a trust or go collect my winnings with a paper bag over my head. I have always hated having pictures taken of me so I know there are not many of me out in the world. Frankly it's very dangerous to the lottery winners who comes forward to claim their winnings, it feels like they have a target on their backs  Sooooo wish I lived in an anonymous state but I don't.

Some states like CA allow winners to not have their picture taken. But they have to release their name. I wonder if this goes for every state or it just varies.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4102 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2015, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

Some states like CA allow winners to not have their picture taken. But they have to release their name. I wonder if this goes for every state or it just varies.

l think CA is not the only State that will allow a winner to cover his face- there is nothing in the CA lottery handbook  that says you " must appear at a press conference & that if you not going to participate in one, at the very least " Show your Face." All that is required is your name, the store you purchased your ticket from and the amount of the jackpot.

l like the idea of giving jackpot winners a choice: To either claim anonymously or Have a press Conference. I think there are more than a few who would love to have their pictures taken for all the world to see. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: March 13, 2015, 1:47 am - IP Logged

Sadly, Massachusetts is not on the list.Hopefully, one day it will be.

myturn - if you are from Australia then why are you concerned re:  mass?

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                Member #164603
                March 8, 2015
                603 Posts
                Posted: March 13, 2015, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

He probably plays the Megabucks Doubler by subscription.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7295 Posts
                  Posted: March 13, 2015, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

All that means in Ohio is the Lottery won't publish the winner's name, but they do publish where the tickets were sold on the "Winners Corner" on their website. And you're forgetting active lottery players are not in the voting majority which is necessary to create new state laws to hide the name of the winners. It's the non-lottery players that need convincing, not the LP membership.

Bondi Junction
                    Australia
                    Member #57242
                    December 24, 2007
                    1102 Posts
                    Posted: March 15, 2015, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm from Massachusetts, but I now live in Australia.

I like that the Massachusetts Lottery has a subscription service across the whole country. More lotteries should offer subscription services nationwide.

I also would like to see all state lotteries, including the Massachusetts Lottery, allow winners to remain anonymous. 

It is not about secrecy, it is about safety and security for winners.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4102 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2015, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

I'm from Massachusetts, but I now live in Australia.

I like that the Massachusetts Lottery has a subscription service across the whole country. More lotteries should offer subscription services nationwide.

I also would like to see all state lotteries, including the Massachusetts Lottery, allow winners to remain anonymous. 

It is not about secrecy, it is about safety and security for winners.

So MT- If and when you win, are you collecting your Money in the American or Australian Dollars?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Arizona
                        United States
                        Member #165073
                        March 24, 2015
                        220 Posts
                        Posted: March 24, 2015, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Arizona does not require a press conference, photos, or any sort of publicity, but it does require the Lottery to release the winner's name and hometown on request.

For me, this isn't much of a problem. My name is common enough that I can't find myself on Google, and if I win big, "hometown" will become "ex-hometown" the day after I claim the prize.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                          United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3854 Posts
                          Posted: March 25, 2015, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

Delaware is a 90 minutes from me, Maryland add 10 minutes,

since I'm going for PB and MM there's no reason to go past Delaware.

Does Maryland have any local games that are good ?

I see now that Maryland has a subscription, maybe I'll try that instead of making the trip.

The script is only offered on MM.

PB is not available at this time.

I wonder if that's B/C they were anticipating a matrix change ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                            Member #131594
                            August 14, 2012
                            171 Posts
                            Posted: March 25, 2015, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

I see now that Maryland has a subscription, maybe I'll try that instead of making the trip.

The script is only offered on MM.

PB is not available at this time.

I wonder if that's B/C they were anticipating a matrix change ?

Staff at the Maryland lottery has said there is no PB subscription because of restrictions by the PB people.  It would be nice if that did change after the matrix change.

You have to have a Maryland address to get the MM subscription.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                              Member #131594
                              August 14, 2012
                              171 Posts
                              Posted: March 25, 2015, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Unless something has recently changed you can claim the Ohio lottery annoymously but with a catch--only with a blind trust.

The response I received when I asked about claiming anonymously:

You will not be required to have your picture taken for publicity if you are not anonymous.

But in order to remain anonymous and ensure NO media or publicity, your prize must be claimed in a Blind Trust. To begin the process of a Blind Trust, you, or your legal counsel should contact the Legal Dept. at the Ohio Lottery in Cleveland at 216-774-5652 before the claim form is completed.

Sincerely,
                              Linda
                              Ohio Lottery Webmail

xx

From what I understand a blind trust is a trust where the beneficiary of the trust has no say in how the money is invested or is even allowed to know what it is invested in.  So you win, hand over your money to the trustee, and they manage it for you.  I guess I am not a very trusting person because this arrangement would make me very nervous.

I hope I am wrong and Ohio has recently changed their policy.