Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

States that offer winners the choice of anonymity

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 2 years ago by nina09.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
Member #164603
March 8, 2015
612 Posts
Posted: March 26, 2015, 12:23 am - IP Logged

Unless something has recently changed you can claim the Ohio lottery annoymously but with a catch--only with a blind trust.

The response I received when I asked about claiming anonymously:

You will not be required to have your picture taken for publicity if you are not anonymous.

But in order to remain anonymous and ensure NO media or publicity, your prize must be claimed in a Blind Trust. To begin the process of a Blind Trust, you, or your legal counsel should contact the Legal Dept. at the Ohio Lottery in Cleveland at 216-774-5652 before the claim form is completed.

Sincerely,
Linda
Ohio Lottery Webmail

xx

From what I understand a blind trust is a trust where the beneficiary of the trust has no say in how the money is invested or is even allowed to know what it is invested in.  So you win, hand over your money to the trustee, and they manage it for you.  I guess I am not a very trusting person because this arrangement would make me very nervous.

I hope I am wrong and Ohio has recently changed their policy.

The way I understand it is that you have a lawyer set the blind trust up, you install a trustee who manages the trust and the way your trust is drawn up the beneficiaries receive the money. The winner would appoint beneficiaries (himself, family etc) and the lawyer alone does not have the ower to override you.

Basically you just use the trust as a clearing house to protect your identity..

Arizona
    United States
    Member #165073
    March 24, 2015
    220 Posts
    Posted: March 26, 2015, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Unless something has recently changed you can claim the Ohio lottery annoymously but with a catch--only with a blind trust.

The response I received when I asked about claiming anonymously:

You will not be required to have your picture taken for publicity if you are not anonymous.

But in order to remain anonymous and ensure NO media or publicity, your prize must be claimed in a Blind Trust. To begin the process of a Blind Trust, you, or your legal counsel should contact the Legal Dept. at the Ohio Lottery in Cleveland at 216-774-5652 before the claim form is completed.

Sincerely,
    Linda
    Ohio Lottery Webmail

xx

From what I understand a blind trust is a trust where the beneficiary of the trust has no say in how the money is invested or is even allowed to know what it is invested in.  So you win, hand over your money to the trustee, and they manage it for you.  I guess I am not a very trusting person because this arrangement would make me very nervous.

I hope I am wrong and Ohio has recently changed their policy.

Your description of how a blind trust works is generally accurate, but missing one key point: You have no say in how the money is invested, except insofar as you place limits on it when creating the trust.  I believe it would be possible to draw up the terms so that, say, 100% of money received by the trust is to be distributed to the beneficiary immediately.

Note that I am not a lawyer, nor am I a financial expert. Everything I know about blind trusts, I learned from the internet. This post is not legal or financial advice of any kind.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3856 Posts
      Posted: March 26, 2015, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

Staff at the Maryland lottery has said there is no PB subscription because of restrictions by the PB people.  It would be nice if that did change after the matrix change.

You have to have a Maryland address to get the MM subscription.

I was unaware of that address requirement, I guess I'll return to plan A, the every now and then trip to Delaware.

Thanks.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
        Member #131594
        August 14, 2012
        171 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2015, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

I was unaware of that address requirement, I guess I'll return to plan A, the every now and then trip to Delaware.

Thanks.

I don't know if this would make any difference to your plans but in DE you can only buy tickets for 10 draws and in MD you can currently buy for 15.  So if you ever get in a situation where you are going to need an extra few weeks (say due to travel) you can drive a little more and get a longer date range on your tickets.

And every time you buy tickets somewhere else I would tell your state lottery why you passed by their retailers!  Big Grin Angel

Good luck!

Lotto Lucy

United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2015, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if this would make any difference to your plans but in DE you can only buy tickets for 10 draws and in MD you can currently buy for 15.  So if you ever get in a situation where you are going to need an extra few weeks (say due to travel) you can drive a little more and get a longer date range on your tickets.

And every time you buy tickets somewhere else I would tell your state lottery why you passed by their retailers!  Big Grin Angel

Good luck!

Thank you again.

If I go to DE I go off 295 at the first exit from DMB, I know at least 3 places within a few miles of 295.

MD would take only 10 more minutes so that's good to know, spotted 2 liquor stores on Elkton rd, first exit over the Mason-Dixon.

In DE I was able to buy advance draw w/ a different #set for each draw, do you know if that's possible in MD ?

And yes, I'd let them know why I'm going to their competition, they may not care but if enough people do it...

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
            Member #131594
            August 14, 2012
            171 Posts
            Posted: March 29, 2015, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Thank you again.

If I go to DE I go off 295 at the first exit from DMB, I know at least 3 places within a few miles of 295.

MD would take only 10 more minutes so that's good to know, spotted 2 liquor stores on Elkton rd, first exit over the Mason-Dixon.

In DE I was able to buy advance draw w/ a different #set for each draw, do you know if that's possible in MD ?

And yes, I'd let them know why I'm going to their competition, they may not care but if enough people do it...

You're welcome.  I have been where you are at.  Only I lived in a state with no lottery so I had to figure out how to maximize my purchases/minimize my travel time just to play at all!

I have heard you can do furture plays w/ a different set of numbers each day in MD but I have never tried it.  I would recommend you contact the MD lottery and ask them how to do it/what to ask for at the terminal because most likely most clerks will have no idea what you are talking about.

Lotto Lucy

United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3856 Posts
              Posted: April 5, 2015, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Thanks.

Made the trip to DE today, got 10 advance draw on MM and PB

I see that LP's report card rates DE a D w/33% true drawings,

that's OK it includes MM and PB as part of the true.

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: April 6, 2015, 9:15 am - IP Logged

If you live in a state that doesn't allow winners to remain anonymous, write to your local politicians. It is not about secrecy, it is about safety and security. It is very dangerous for winners to have their identities published. It puts enormous pressure on them from family members. It also encourages conmen to come out of the woodwork.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: April 6, 2015, 9:30 am - IP Logged

If you live in a state that doesn't allow winners to remain anonymous, write to your local politicians. It is not about secrecy, it is about safety and security. It is very dangerous for winners to have their identities published. It puts enormous pressure on them from family members. It also encourages conmen to come out of the woodwork.

I don't think that'll work in Jersey.

Corruption is common here, just in this century we've had mayors from our 3 biggest cities,

Trenton, Camden and Newark go to jail, and currently have a U.S.senator under indictment, and he started out as a corruption fighter.

Just last year they tried to pass a 1 year anonymity deal and that failed.

So I'll just go to Delaware for the big $ games.

Arizona
                    United States
                    Member #165073
                    March 24, 2015
                    220 Posts
                    Posted: April 6, 2015, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

As of just under a week ago, Arizona law has been amended to provide limited privacy. For 90 days after the prize is awarded, the winner's name is confidential and not subject to disclosure under public records laws. The winner's city of residence is still made public immediately.

Bondi Junction
                      Australia
                      Member #57242
                      December 24, 2007
                      1102 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2015, 6:36 am - IP Logged

IF I WIN THE JACKPOT, DO I HAVE THE OPTION OF REMAINING ANONYMOUS?

Jackpot winners are given the option of participating in a press conference. Many of our past jackpot winners have enjoyed this opportunity, and it usually eliminates receiving multiple calls from the media. The Arizona Lottery is required to release the winner’s name, city of residence, game, and amount won upon request, so total anonymity is not possible.

We ask each winner, no matter the amount, for a quote about their winning experience; the quote will not include your name if you prefer to remain anonymous.

Arizona State Lottery

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Arizona
                        United States
                        Member #165073
                        March 24, 2015
                        220 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2015, 10:56 am - IP Logged

The lottery website has not yet been updated to reflect the change in the law.

Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:

Section 1.  Section 5-573, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:

5-573State lottery prize fund; setoff for state debts; notification to department of economic security; confidentiality of prizewinners

A.  The state lottery prize fund is established.  That portion of the gross proceeds which THAT  is apportioned pursuant to section 5-555, subsection B shall be deposited, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, directly in the state lottery prize fund as the commission receives such proceeds and shall be available for payment of prizes to the holders of winning tickets or shares or for the other purposes provided for in section 5-568.  Procedures for payments to winners from this fund shall be established by rule or order of the commission.  Notwithstanding any other statute, transfers or payments to or from the state lottery prize fund are not appropriations by the legislature, and deposits in the state lottery prize fund are not subject to appropriation by the legislature.

B.  Payments to winners which THAT  are payable by the commission or lottery redemption agents pursuant to this section in an amount of six hundred dollars or more are subject to setoff under section 5-575.

C.  The commission shall furnish the department of economic security with the names and the social security numbers of persons who are paid lottery prizes or winnings in an amount of six hundred dollars or more pursuant to this section for purposes prescribed by section 41-1965.  The department of economic security shall pay the commission for the cost of furnishing the information.

D.  EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTIONS B AND C OF THIS SECTION, THE NAMES OF PERSONS OR LEGALLY FORMED ENTITIES THAT ARE PAID LOTTERY PRIZES OR WINNINGS ARE CONFIDENTIAL FOR NINETY DAYS FROM THE DATE THE PRIZE IS AWARDED AND ARE NOT A PUBLIC RECORD UNDER TITLE 39, CHAPTER 1, ARTICLE 2 DURING THIS NINETY-DAY PERIOD.  INFORMATION REGARDING THE PRIZEWINNER'S CITY AND COUNTY OF RESIDENCE IS NOT CONFIDENTIAL.  A PRIZEWINNER MAY WAIVE THE CONFIDENTIALITY PROVISIONS OF THIS SUBSECTION BY VOLUNTARILY CONSENTING TO THE DISCLOSURE OF THE PRIZEWINNER'S NAME.

fajardo
                          United States
                          Member #152445
                          February 15, 2014
                          47 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2015, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Puerto Rico is not a state but the identity of the winner is anonymous. The only way someone can find your identity is if you tell them.