Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

1 000 000$ a Year For Life Scratcher 1 big win left after 6 years

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Enigmas.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
Member #164603
March 8, 2015
641 Posts
Posted: March 23, 2015, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

So I read up on some scratchers on the NY Lottery website and I read that there is only one top prize left for the 1 000 000$ a  Year For Life Scratcher.

Apparently the 30$ game was introduced in 2009, so it's been running for 6 years already. It's apparently not scheduled to be terminated soon. How long do these games typically last? They can't possibly run this game for another 6 years for just one prize? Would you play this scratcher knowing that only one top prize is left?

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
    North Carolina
    United States
    Member #59855
    March 29, 2008
    31963 Posts
    Posted: March 23, 2015, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

So I read up on some scratchers on the NY Lottery website and I read that there is only one top prize left for the 1 000 000$ a  Year For Life Scratcher.

Apparently the 30$ game was introduced in 2009, so it's been running for 6 years already. It's apparently not scheduled to be terminated soon. How long do these games typically last? They can't possibly run this game for another 6 years for just one prize? Would you play this scratcher knowing that only one top prize is left?

It would depend on the amount of the other prizes left.

Florida
      United States
      Member #165004
      March 22, 2015
      25 Posts
      Posted: March 23, 2015, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

No, I wouldn't drop $30 on a 6 year old contest after my recent experience with the Florida Lottery.  They are advertising a new scratch off that launched on 2/24/15 that was launched advertising 4-10 million dollar winning tickets and 46-1million dollar tickets.  However, after the initial launch and lots of publicity, they have now altered the website of "remaining prizes" to show "2 out of 3" (not the original 4) 10 million dollar prizes and "30 out of 25" remaining prizes (not the original 46) as remaining.  The odds ratios have not been adjusted.  To put it more plainly, these "adjustments" add up to a missing 21 million in advertised prizes, approximately 25% of the top winning prizes.  Obviously their goal was to falsly advertise a bloated prize pool to spark a ticket buying frenzy at the start of the promotion and after millions of suckers bought the $25 ticket, now they are adjusting the prize pool and lowering it by 25% less than a month into the game.  They got their initial sales of tickets but they are reneging on what they advertised and those of us who bought tickets where never going to encounter some of those prizes because if it is so easy for them to recall 25% of the big winning tickets so early in the game, that tells me that those tickets never went out into the general public to be won.  It's a scam of the worst sort.

Germany
        Member #164603
        March 8, 2015
        641 Posts
        Posted: March 23, 2015, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

There are 12 unclaimed prizes for 50k$

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
          North Carolina
          United States
          Member #59855
          March 29, 2008
          31963 Posts
          Posted: March 23, 2015, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

That sounds pretty good to me...I'd buy one!

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51292 Posts
            Posted: March 23, 2015, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

The information on the website may not be accurate...

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: March 23, 2015, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Would you play this scratcher knowing that only one top prize is left?

No. I have never bought a $20 scratch off so it's out of the question to buy a $30 ticket at any point in its cycle. If someone was to tell me to choose between an unscratched $30 scratch ticket or $5 cash, I'm taking the $5. Approve

That money's gone fo ever

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23357 Posts
                Posted: March 23, 2015, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

New York
                  United States
                  Member #157288
                  July 14, 2014
                  170 Posts
                  Posted: March 24, 2015, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Here's the thing about the NY State Lottery website.... They are deceptive, very deceptive. I won't go into a rant about how they frequently don't update their prizes and hold back announcements of winners so they can continue to drum up sales. There have been previous posts on this subject that I have aired by opinions. For this particular game that came out in 2008 as of last year 9/2014 here is the response they gave me to a FOIL request:

I am writing in response to your most recent request for information (below), pursuant to the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL), N.Y. Public Officers Law Section 87.

As you know, there were a total of 21,158,500 tickets produced for the New York Lottery instant (scratch off) game number 596 (Win $1,000,000 a Year for Life).  Based on the rate of redemption we estimate 18,495,119 tickets have been sold. 

For the past few months I've been asking for updated information which they have ignored, I've put in a request every week sometimes two. My gut feeling is that since they do not update their information if a jackpot has been one of the tickets returned from a store that went out of business (yes they destroy those tickets) and the pace of the winners were about one per year, there is no actual jackpot left.

Of course I could be wrong and if that is the case as of last September there were only 2,663,381 tickets left meaning your odds are now 1:2,663,381. At a rate of about 1.5 million tickets sold every 6 months, 6 months later and still no winner so either you odds are now 1:1.1something million or people are playing for 2nd place.

I would love to know if they just ignore everyone or just me. If you have the time submit a FOIL request and let us know what they say.

http://nylottery.ny.gov/wps/portal/Home/Lottery/Header+Links/CONTACT+US/Contact+Foil+Form

On a side note to how the NY Lottery plays shenanigans; last week when they updated their Top Prize Report there was only 1 remaining jackpot  and 79 2nd prizes of the $2,500 a week for life game now this week they have 3 top prizes and 205 second prizes and there is no new game number so either they made a mistake on the report or they added more tickets into circulation and did not update what your odds of winning are.

Germany
                    Member #164603
                    March 8, 2015
                    641 Posts
                    Posted: March 24, 2015, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

Here's the thing about the NY State Lottery website.... They are deceptive, very deceptive. I won't go into a rant about how they frequently don't update their prizes and hold back announcements of winners so they can continue to drum up sales. There have been previous posts on this subject that I have aired by opinions. For this particular game that came out in 2008 as of last year 9/2014 here is the response they gave me to a FOIL request:

I am writing in response to your most recent request for information (below), pursuant to the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL), N.Y. Public Officers Law Section 87.

As you know, there were a total of 21,158,500 tickets produced for the New York Lottery instant (scratch off) game number 596 (Win $1,000,000 a Year for Life).  Based on the rate of redemption we estimate 18,495,119 tickets have been sold. 

For the past few months I've been asking for updated information which they have ignored, I've put in a request every week sometimes two. My gut feeling is that since they do not update their information if a jackpot has been one of the tickets returned from a store that went out of business (yes they destroy those tickets) and the pace of the winners were about one per year, there is no actual jackpot left.

Of course I could be wrong and if that is the case as of last September there were only 2,663,381 tickets left meaning your odds are now 1:2,663,381. At a rate of about 1.5 million tickets sold every 6 months, 6 months later and still no winner so either you odds are now 1:1.1something million or people are playing for 2nd place.

I would love to know if they just ignore everyone or just me. If you have the time submit a FOIL request and let us know what they say.

http://nylottery.ny.gov/wps/portal/Home/Lottery/Header+Links/CONTACT+US/Contact+Foil+Form

On a side note to how the NY Lottery plays shenanigans; last week when they updated their Top Prize Report there was only 1 remaining jackpot  and 79 2nd prizes of the $2,500 a week for life game now this week they have 3 top prizes and 205 second prizes and there is no new game number so either they made a mistake on the report or they added more tickets into circulation and did not update what your odds of winning are.

Thank you for that reply, really, I had no idea tickets were destroyed, that sounds really fishy, as does their evasive answer to your FOIL inquiry. They estimate ? Shouldn't they know?

Also their "accounting"/clerical work seems to be really sub-par if that big jump in prizes is a data input mistake. Do you know if they maybe skipped a column or so and rally meant a different game?

1: 1 000 000 sounds great though, but at 30$ a piece...

Unfortunately I can't request info based on FOIL as I'm not a resident.

ozone park
                      United States
                      Member #57042
                      December 15, 2007
                      274 Posts
                      Posted: April 3, 2015, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

I have had much success in the F.O.I.L. request and they have been upfront and have answered all my questions. Yes I do agree that the fact that when  business goes out fo business, or changes hands, or gets robbed or anything that causes open books to be returned and destroyed could affect the outcome. I do believe there is 1 ticket still left to buy. I cannot imagine they would continue to sell and advertise the one ticket left if it wa snot available because they would have a lot of public questions to answer when the game is over. I think they are going by the letter of the law, created by NYS legislatives. I have asked about the tickets that get destroyed and according to the LAW they have to destroy them. Does it give them an edge i think so but if we want that to change the law needs to be changed by our politicians. Is it important enough for them to work on this, I do not think so. 

But in terms of the actual prizes left, I am sure that their is one ticket left somewhere in NYS to buy and won the top prize. And this game came out Sept of 2008 not 2009.

ozone park
                        United States
                        Member #57042
                        December 15, 2007
                        274 Posts
                        Posted: April 3, 2015, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

This game came out Sept. of 2008, 6 1/2 years so far and counting.

ozone park
                          United States
                          Member #57042
                          December 15, 2007
                          274 Posts
                          Posted: April 3, 2015, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

There are 11 second prize winners left for $50,000. I have a ticket that I have no cashed in yet.

New York
                            United States
                            Member #157288
                            July 14, 2014
                            170 Posts
                            Posted: April 6, 2015, 10:20 am - IP Logged

First let me congratulate you as I take it from reading you post you have one of the 50K winners making the published number of 12 actually 11.

When was the last time you put in a F.O.I.L request and do you mind sharing what they sent you? I've checked my emails again and no response from them. I'm going to put in another one today.

As far as them advertising one ticket left and it not being available, the public has no recourse in questioning them because they do not advertise all the winners. There have been two previous winners that they put no information out on and the only way we knew someone won was #1 The winners atlas (Which they conveniently removed) and the Top Prize Report which we have no way of verifying it's accuracy.

I really hope there is one left because if so then the player's odds are very good at this point and unless they add more tickets or republish the game it should be ending sometime this summer.

New York
                              United States
                              Member #157288
                              July 14, 2014
                              170 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2015, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

And speaking of the Top Prize Report, which is supposd to be updated every Monday; it's Tuesday evening and hasn't been updated which is par for the course with them.