Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 11:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It has been over a year and still staying on budget.

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 2 years ago by maximumfun.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: May 15, 2015, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Well it's been over a year since I started on my lottery budget and have kept to it. These last few months have been great in terms of low lottery spending. It is so refreshing to no longer stop at the gas station after work or go out to the store on the weekend specifically to buy draw tickets. If weeks go buy and I don't buy a Powerball ticket I just tell myself there will always be another day to play. One of my biggest problems for 3 years was my addiction to scratch tickets. The most I ever won on a scratch ticket was 200 dollars. It's funny because I live in Mass and people always say we have the best pay outs. Well that was never the case for me. I will occasionally buy a scratch ticket but that is more likely to occur within the first two weeks of a new scratch game and will buy 1 ticket and if I don't win will buy one more and leave the store and that will get it out of my system until the next new scratch ticket comes around. Will be the first to admit that my obsession with winning the lottery was neither healthy nor realistic. Once reality kicked in for me it has been great not throwing money down the drain. I still believe you can't win if you don't play but I also believe it's much more likely that winning the lottery is just not going to happen and no wishing or praying is going to change that.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: May 15, 2015, 9:58 am - IP Logged

I'm glad things are going well for you and that your lottery budget has helped you with controlling your spending. Smile

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3857 Posts
      Posted: May 15, 2015, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Shyguiter,

Good for you, I 'm still w/in budget also.

I don't play scratchers at all anymore but if I did, I wouldn't play when a game is new.

I just don't think the big prize is going to come out early on,

has anyone seen that happen ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4144 Posts
        Posted: May 15, 2015, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Control: Some love it, some hate it. As long as it works in your favor- everything else falls into place. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3315 Posts
          Posted: May 15, 2015, 10:59 am - IP Logged

nice work SHY, thanks for sharing your problems. and success. 

i keep a spread sheet for my lotto and keno. and yeah it sure would be good to have all the money back and in 1 pile. and i can always cut down, the new keno sheet i use, has really helped me cut down that a lot. once you add up how much you spend you can get a better idea of how much you will spend over a month. and yup if that's a problem its time to  make budget.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

homestead
            United States
            Member #158182
            August 14, 2014
            137 Posts
            Posted: May 15, 2015, 11:01 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Well it's been over a year since I started on my lottery budget and have kept to it. These last few months have been great in terms of low lottery spending. It is so refreshing to no longer stop at the gas station after work or go out to the store on the weekend specifically to buy draw tickets. If weeks go buy and I don't buy a Powerball ticket I just tell myself there will always be another day to play. One of my biggest problems for 3 years was my addiction to scratch tickets. The most I ever won on a scratch ticket was 200 dollars. It's funny because I live in Mass and people always say we have the best pay outs. Well that was never the case for me. I will occasionally buy a scratch ticket but that is more likely to occur within the first two weeks of a new scratch game and will buy 1 ticket and if I don't win will buy one more and leave the store and that will get it out of my system until the next new scratch ticket comes around. Will be the first to admit that my obsession with winning the lottery was neither healthy nor realistic. Once reality kicked in for me it has been great not throwing money down the drain. I still believe you can't win if you don't play but I also believe it's much more likely that winning the lottery is just not going to happen and no wishing or praying is going to change that.

Hi shyguitar,

I was in the same situation as you. I spent a lot of money chasing the lotto games as well. But the scratch off tickets are very additive, which was why I only played the $1 games. The most I have won on those was $20 on a $1 ticket which was all I bought. 

I was wondering if you would ever considered playing Pick-3 lotto? I have heard that there are people who buy one set of numbers straight and spend around $1,000.00 or more to match the average state Lotto starting Pick-5 or Pick-6 jackpot.

Considering that the odds of winning a Pick-3 lotto jackpot is 1: 1000 as opposed to the state Lotto Pick-6 game which is 1: 20 Million. Some people do win a lot of money that way. It's probably better than any scratch off lottery games, in which large $1 Million to $5 Million winning tickets are mixed in a pile of 2 Million tickets. Not good odds at all, in my opinion. 

If I ever consider the idea of winning a large jackpot Lottery game, Pick-3 would be the only option that I would use.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: May 15, 2015, 11:06 am - IP Logged

I'm glad things are going well for you and that your lottery budget has helped you with controlling your spending. Smile

Thanks for your response. When I was obsessed with the lottery it really just made me more depressed when I never won.

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: May 15, 2015, 11:11 am - IP Logged

Shyguiter,

Good for you, I 'm still w/in budget also.

I don't play scratchers at all anymore but if I did, I wouldn't play when a game is new.

I just don't think the big prize is going to come out early on,

has anyone seen that happen ?

Thanks and congrats to you for staying on budget! In terms if scratchers I believe when a new scratcher comes out the lottery usually has 1 or 2 people win the jackpot in the first month so that's why I play once when the new ones come out. Though I only play a new 20 dolar one so skip the majority of new scratch games.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: May 15, 2015, 11:52 am - IP Logged

nice work SHY, thanks for sharing your problems. and success. 

i keep a spread sheet for my lotto and keno. and yeah it sure would be good to have all the money back and in 1 pile. and i can always cut down, the new keno sheet i use, has really helped me cut down that a lot. once you add up how much you spend you can get a better idea of how much you will spend over a month. and yup if that's a problem its time to  make budget.

Thanks.  Good for you having a spreadsheet to keep track of the money you spend. Maybe that is something I should have done during those 3 years of my being out of control with my lottery spending.

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: May 15, 2015, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

Hi shyguitar,

I was in the same situation as you. I spent a lot of money chasing the lotto games as well. But the scratch off tickets are very additive, which was why I only played the $1 games. The most I have won on those was $20 on a $1 ticket which was all I bought. 

I was wondering if you would ever considered playing Pick-3 lotto? I have heard that there are people who buy one set of numbers straight and spend around $1,000.00 or more to match the average state Lotto starting Pick-5 or Pick-6 jackpot.

Considering that the odds of winning a Pick-3 lotto jackpot is 1: 1000 as opposed to the state Lotto Pick-6 game which is 1: 20 Million. Some people do win a lot of money that way. It's probably better than any scratch off lottery games, in which large $1 Million to $5 Million winning tickets are mixed in a pile of 2 Million tickets. Not good odds at all, in my opinion. 

If I ever consider the idea of winning a large jackpot Lottery game, Pick-3 would be the only option that I would use.

Thanks for your response. I have never played the pick 3 game and do not play because I prefer just buying 1 Powerball or 1 lucky for Life draw game once in a while.  I think it would be too easy to get addicted to the pick 3 game because it's played twice a day every day of the week.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: May 15, 2015, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations Shy for suppressing the urge to buy scratch tickets. In a state that churns out more than 10 million dollar prize winners every month, it's easy to think that it's easy. It's not.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                        Member #122468
                        February 1, 2012
                        530 Posts
                        Posted: May 15, 2015, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations Shy for suppressing the urge to buy scratch tickets. In a state that churns out more than 10 million dollar prize winners every month, it's easy to think that it's easy. It's not.

Thanks so much. What has helped me control my urge to buy scratchers was the impossible odds of being at the right place at the right time to win a jackpot on a scratcher. There are usually around 25 million tickets printed out for a 5 dollar scratch ticket in which only 6 people will win the top prize of 1 million (after taking the 650,000 lump sum and after taxes are taken you are left with around 440,000 or so). Finally there are over 7,000 retailers that sell lottery tickets so winning a jackpot would be a true needle in a haystack equation.

homestead
                          United States
                          Member #158182
                          August 14, 2014
                          137 Posts
                          Posted: May 16, 2015, 3:27 am - IP Logged

Thanks for your response. I have never played the pick 3 game and do not play because I prefer just buying 1 Powerball or 1 lucky for Life draw game once in a while.  I think it would be too easy to get addicted to the pick 3 game because it's played twice a day every day of the week.

I felt the same way also. With regards to Pick 3, pick either midday or evenings and research the number you want to play. If it's a number that pops up 2-3 times a year, just look at the historical patterns of that number. Especially if it comes up during the first 4 months of the year of the last 3 months of the year. And if you are not into playing everyday, it's good to use the advance play option, which would cover the maximum days in advance.

I will admit that spending a few $100.00 on Pick-3 (one set of numbers) straight on every ticket is a very big gamble. This is why it's good to allocate how much you are willing to wager. It might be good to start off with $10.00 because of the numbers hit, that's $5,000.00. But I will be honest with you in saying that not everyone is willing to go through this route as it is a lot of money on the line.

Whatever works you, use it.

If you ever wonder how guys like Richard Lustiq actually makes his money? It's by playing FL Cash-3 because he can afford to spend $100's if not $1000's playing the same number set. Assuming that he plays his number straight, here is a possible outcome:

Average Cash-3 win: $500

Number of $1.00 tickets: 100

If the numbers hit: $50K

Thus, Lustiq could spend $100 a day on Cash-3 and win $50K with the number of tickets collected for that day's drawing. That's his secret to winning to lottery because the winners names are never publicised unlike the Jackpot Lotto winners.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                            Wisconsin
                            United States
                            Member #104962
                            January 23, 2011
                            1075 Posts
                            Posted: May 16, 2015, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Congrats!  Keep it up.

Trump 2016!

United States
                              Member #122468
                              February 1, 2012
                              530 Posts
                              Posted: May 16, 2015, 11:09 am - IP Logged

Congrats!  Keep it up.

Thanks