Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The PA Lottery Ripped Me Off !

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 2 years ago by river26.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7310 Posts
Posted: June 2, 2015, 12:10 am - IP Logged

In the last six months or year I have seen signs posted that say lottery tickets cannot be canceled ... this is from the PA Lottery web site:

"Always check your PA Lottery tickets at the time of purchase.  Tickets cannot be canceled, so you should immediately speak to the clerk or manager to resolve any concerns before leaving the store."

I guess a person can refuse to pay for the tickets at a human terminal but your money is already gone at a self serve terminal ... I suppose the store would be stuck with those tickets, not the lottery.

I don't know what Rite Aid could do ... I wasn't in the mood to argue with anyone or demand my money back, the manager was nice in helping me with the copies and faxing everything to the Lottery.

The PA Lottery had something going on that day with their system ... again it's these RNGs that I question in PA.

All those duplicate numbers had to be generated by the RNG ... was it stuck, hacked or going bad? I talked about RNGs before and where they are located ... people seem to think each terminal has it's own RNG ... I wasn't sure when I asked where QP numbers come from ... the lottery main terminal or from a RNG in each terminal.

I guess in a week or two this will fade away to Page 2 or 3 and be forgotten ... it's just a heads-up to watch buying tickets in PA ... I suppose one day we may be reading of hackers getting into a state lottery somewhere and messing with lottery tickets being printed, just for the fun of it.

I may still send the tickets and card to the Governor ... if I feel like wasting a stamp ... I'm sure that's what it would be, a waste of a stamp.

I handed a clerk in Ohio a MM play slip marked with 2 self picks and 3 QPs and she said I owed $64. Those tickets couldn't be cancelled and nothing marked on my play slips that looked the tickets the terminal generated. Rather than arguing, I just walked out of that store and when to another where the clerk ran the same play slip without any problems and handed her $5.

My guess is the first clerk didn't clear the machine before running the play slip, but I wasn't paying for their mistake. Your problem is much more complicated because the tickets were printed after you paid for them.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19826 Posts
    Posted: June 2, 2015, 11:04 am - IP Logged

I handed a clerk in Ohio a MM play slip marked with 2 self picks and 3 QPs and she said I owed $64. Those tickets couldn't be cancelled and nothing marked on my play slips that looked the tickets the terminal generated. Rather than arguing, I just walked out of that store and when to another where the clerk ran the same play slip without any problems and handed her $5.

My guess is the first clerk didn't clear the machine before running the play slip, but I wasn't paying for their mistake. Your problem is much more complicated because the tickets were printed after you paid for them.

I have something similar happen to me when I used the drive-thur where I buy my tickets. 

I handed the clerk two MM play slips and he return my slips with 2  tickets and said that will be $15.  I looked at the ticket and one had the megaplier and neither had the numbers on my play slips.  I told him I wasn't paying for those tickets because there were no way the terminal misread all my numbers and added the multiplier.  I think he was trying to sell some of his mistakes and had he not been so greedy to add the one with the multiplier I probably was have drove away and not check my tickets until after the drawings. 

I have since gone inside and watched the clerks run my slips and no such mistake has happened again.

Trying to sell a $64 mistake in place of a $5 ticket really takes some nerves or they thought you would be stupid and pay it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5120 Posts
      Posted: June 2, 2015, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

CW:

Go git the PA Lottery who Ripped U Off ! They need 2 step down or step up or do something, don't U "think"???????

Stop  corruption  Stop   fraud  Stop  CONSUMER Rip Off   

United States
        Member #161539
        December 3, 2014
        328 Posts
        Posted: June 2, 2015, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

CW:

Go git the PA Lottery who Ripped U Off ! They need 2 step down or step up or do something, don't U "think"???????

Stop  corruption  Stop   fraud  Stop  CONSUMER Rip Off   

Well I posted this for lottery players in PA but after reading the posts from other players in other states ... this could be a common problem with lottery terminals everywhere ... maybe not exactly like what happen to me but there does seem to be problems ... both with machines and dishonest clerks.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7310 Posts
          Posted: June 2, 2015, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

I have something similar happen to me when I used the drive-thur where I buy my tickets. 

I handed the clerk two MM play slips and he return my slips with 2  tickets and said that will be $15.  I looked at the ticket and one had the megaplier and neither had the numbers on my play slips.  I told him I wasn't paying for those tickets because there were no way the terminal misread all my numbers and added the multiplier.  I think he was trying to sell some of his mistakes and had he not been so greedy to add the one with the multiplier I probably was have drove away and not check my tickets until after the drawings. 

I have since gone inside and watched the clerks run my slips and no such mistake has happened again.

Trying to sell a $64 mistake in place of a $5 ticket really takes some nerves or they thought you would be stupid and pay it.

It was at a Dairy Mart with a high turnover of clerks and right after Ohio started selling MM tickets. Some stores wouldn't even run MM play slips because they couldn't cancel reader errors. One the reasons why I always questioned when someone suggested playing large combo wheels is the possibility of many mistakes.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19826 Posts
            Posted: June 2, 2015, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

It was at a Dairy Mart with a high turnover of clerks and right after Ohio started selling MM tickets. Some stores wouldn't even run MM play slips because they couldn't cancel reader errors. One the reasons why I always questioned when someone suggested playing large combo wheels is the possibility of many mistakes.

MegaMillions tickets were the first tickets Ohio printed that couldn't be canceled but have since added PowerBall and changed vendor that installed better terminals.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wyomissing, PA
              United States
              Member #161050
              November 15, 2014
              301 Posts
              Posted: June 3, 2015, 7:45 am - IP Logged

Bizarre. The size and style of the playslips changed awhile back. There is more than one type of playslip for some games. Maybe they changed the playslip reader software without taking into account players using an older style. Are you using a recent playslip or one from many months to year+ ago?

On a related note, replay is supposedly being added (may have been already?) to terminals, which would involve software changes. Maybe that glitched.

Speaking of self-service glitches. The PA terminals, while generally good, have issues. One of the more serious ones that appears not fixed, and affects regular lottery terminals too, is connection problems during validation. If the connection is lost / delayed, the central computers may mark the ticket as redeemed when it really hasn't been. Been burnt a few times, but fortunately the amounts have been tiny ... $1 here, $2 there, etc.

Related to the above issue, which affects PA self-service terminals, is merely checking a ticket (instants in particular) can cause it to be rendered worthless! Few players ever run into the problem, since it generally occurs very early in the morning prior to 6 am or so. Terminals go on-line around 5:00 - 5:15 am, but apparently some back-end systems don't fully come on-line till sometime later. The player will get an error saying try redeeming later, but as I've personally experienced, the winning ticket may occasionally be rendered worthless in the process.

Terminal RNDs are not validated nor guaranteed random. PA QPs are lousy. Lotteries generally don't mention how QPs are generated - many players assume a central computer is involved, but that's usually not so. For one seeking some new numbers to try, LPs quickpick generator would be a better option or, heck, just picking numbers on the screen / playslip at random.

PA Lottery service is generally pretty good, but very slow when it comes to unusual issues. As for politicians, don't count on any help, but doesn't hurt to try. Another approach would be someone / group setting up a website, or maybe a section on LP, regarding lottery glitches, including RND quirks, terminal problem, payout issues, etc. With much public exposure, lotteries will more aggressively address such issues.

United States
                Member #161539
                December 3, 2014
                328 Posts
                Posted: June 3, 2015, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Bizarre. The size and style of the playslips changed awhile back. There is more than one type of playslip for some games. Maybe they changed the playslip reader software without taking into account players using an older style. Are you using a recent playslip or one from many months to year+ ago?

On a related note, replay is supposedly being added (may have been already?) to terminals, which would involve software changes. Maybe that glitched.

Speaking of self-service glitches. The PA terminals, while generally good, have issues. One of the more serious ones that appears not fixed, and affects regular lottery terminals too, is connection problems during validation. If the connection is lost / delayed, the central computers may mark the ticket as redeemed when it really hasn't been. Been burnt a few times, but fortunately the amounts have been tiny ... $1 here, $2 there, etc.

Related to the above issue, which affects PA self-service terminals, is merely checking a ticket (instants in particular) can cause it to be rendered worthless! Few players ever run into the problem, since it generally occurs very early in the morning prior to 6 am or so. Terminals go on-line around 5:00 - 5:15 am, but apparently some back-end systems don't fully come on-line till sometime later. The player will get an error saying try redeeming later, but as I've personally experienced, the winning ticket may occasionally be rendered worthless in the process.

Terminal RNDs are not validated nor guaranteed random. PA QPs are lousy. Lotteries generally don't mention how QPs are generated - many players assume a central computer is involved, but that's usually not so. For one seeking some new numbers to try, LPs quickpick generator would be a better option or, heck, just picking numbers on the screen / playslip at random.

PA Lottery service is generally pretty good, but very slow when it comes to unusual issues. As for politicians, don't count on any help, but doesn't hurt to try. Another approach would be someone / group setting up a website, or maybe a section on LP, regarding lottery glitches, including RND quirks, terminal problem, payout issues, etc. With much public exposure, lotteries will more aggressively address such issues.

Hi Ron ... Good to hear from you, I was hoping you might post something ... you seem to have knowledge of some of the PA Lottery happenings ... all good points in your post.

I am fairly sure I am using a newer Cash 5 card. It's shorter like all the other new game cards ... if I remember, the older cards were a bit longer and not so colorful. I still see older cards around for the Treasure Hunt game ... they are longer than the newer TH game cards.

I forgot to add this in my very first post about the Cash 5 problem ... when the Rite Aid manager saw my second Cash 5 ticket printed over an hour later, she looked at clerk standing nearby and said ... "I wonder if we should reboot the terminal?" ... so they did reboot the terminal but I left, didn't want to try the card again.

I am going to put the card in again at the Rite Aid ... I was just there and forgot to do so ... am also going to go to Sheetz (across the street) and run it there with no money ... just want to see what's showing in the little "ticket window" that you can check before you purchase the ticket.

It's not good to lose lottery money that you have won ... you said about losing "small amounts" here and there ... just not right, it all adds up over a year or so.

Wyomissing, PA
                  United States
                  Member #161050
                  November 15, 2014
                  301 Posts
                  Posted: June 3, 2015, 10:00 am - IP Logged

While the terminals have various software glitches, this probably isn't one of them.  After pondering this further, it occurs to me the problem is likely due to an old school reason ... dirt in the playslip reader. And that dirt would most likely be latex bits from someone trying to check an instant ticket in there previously.

If you look at the layout of the playslip and how the reader scans, that appears the most plausible scenario. Some dirt blocking the 16-20 numbers column. And that also would explain the partial QPs, which are also in the 16-20 range.

Another possible physical cause would be the playslip having stray marks / dirt on it, but that seems far less likely based on what you've described.

I'd suspect the lottery is aware of the problem. Ideally, the self-service terminal playslip readers should be redesigned to be more like the regular terminals where there is minimal contact with the playslip - less rollers, etc to get dirty.

In the meantime, for QPs only, just use the pre-selected $ choices ... $5, $10, etc. And for self-selected numbers / QP combination, use the replay feature when it becomes available. From my understanding, replay reads the 2d barcode and pulls up the numbers from that. Near zero chance of error - will either read or won't.

Wyomissing, PA
                    United States
                    Member #161050
                    November 15, 2014
                    301 Posts
                    Posted: June 3, 2015, 10:20 am - IP Logged

As for losing small amounts here and there due to glitches, it's literally less than $20 total for me. Annoying, but not enough to even write the lottery about. And I take precautions, which has eliminated further losses. I'll play numbers soon as the terminal opens, but will never check tickets on it until after 6:00 am or even better, 7:00 am. By that time, all systems appear to be fully running. Also, any cashable ticket ($600 and less) I'm checking, I always redeem immediately. If I'm not planning on redeeming right away, I won't check it on the terminal - I'll use the separate ticket checker instead.

To get a better feel of the ticket communication process, click back to the main screen on the terminal and note the communication statuses shown in the upper left-hand corner. One can click back to that screen anytime even if tickets are still printing. Most often I click back when redeeming / checking instant tickets, since the beep is difficult to hear sometimes, so I also watch the communication status - if it says receiving in yellow, I know it has read.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                      Member #165244
                      March 30, 2015
                      227 Posts
                      Posted: June 4, 2015, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

This wont help you much, but for what it's worth, I never use ticket vending machines!  Call me an Old Fool, but I simply don't  trust them to operate correctly.  I'm strictly a terminal operated by the store clerk type of guy.  If the ticket the clerk hands me isn't what I wanted, I can always give it back to the clerk.

The machines in NY that I have seen don't give change, and they don't show you a preview of what the ticket that will be printed looks like.  At least with a little display window, the buyer can see if they're going to get what they asked for.  G5

This is me too.  Every since my $2 winnings got caught up in a machine that wouldnt print me a ticket...lol...yeah 2 bucks thats enough of a lesson for me...

new jersey
                        United States
                        Member #150815
                        December 31, 2013
                        513 Posts
                        Posted: June 5, 2015, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

i  really  think  u  should  keep  posting  im  sure  u  have  plenty  of  time  on  your  agenda, good  work   dont  give  up