Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you claim your Jackpot winnings through a Trust or Not?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 1 year ago by maximumfun.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: June 16, 2015, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

l love this part ...

Confidentiality

***  Winning a large lottery prize can cause you as many problems as it solves. If your name becomes public, you may be besieged by salesmen or requests for donations. Greedy relatives or friends may attempt to enrich themselves at your expense, and you may become the target of unscrupulous people. If you set up a blind trust, however, the trustee may claim the prize on behalf of the trust, and your name need not be made public.  * LegalZoom.

***Or would you bypass that idea and decide to handle your winnings all by yourself, being confident that you will avoid all the pitfalls that have claimed so many lottery winners finances?

Meself : A Trust- 100% Baby!! 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: June 17, 2015, 12:15 am - IP Logged

From what you posted I'd say yes, go through a trust.......but I do recall some posts here on LP about thanks to the FOIA anyone who wants to can find out who belongs to the trust.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4108 Posts
      Posted: June 17, 2015, 1:00 am - IP Logged

From what you posted I'd say yes, go through a trust.......but I do recall some posts here on LP about thanks to the FOIA anyone who wants to can find out who belongs to the trust.

Bang Head

Yeah l am aware of the FOIA Coin, But if you have a pretty good Attorney, he/she could bury your identity so deep that the press or whoever was so interested in finding out who you are could/would say " The heck with this, we rather go find out who that female is that K.O''d  that guy breaking into her car". if you laid low for awhile, no one would care who won, they would be busy concentrating on the next JP. Think on this : whose "really talking" about American Pharaoh right Now?..... No One!!

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
        nc
        United States
        Member #99520
        October 26, 2010
        375 Posts
        Posted: June 17, 2015, 2:47 am - IP Logged

Yes, if the state allows, will claim thru a blind trust that automatically transferfs the winnings into another trust within a day.  You have no control legaly over your money in a blind trust.  You must trust the trustee you chose to properly handle the money for you.

homestead
          United States
          Member #158182
          August 14, 2014
          132 Posts
          Posted: June 17, 2015, 4:46 am - IP Logged

Maybe the best thing to do is wait around 3-4 months to claim your winnings. There is nothing wrong with setting up a Trust. But be very careful as to who you put in charge of that Trust as there are cases of theft involved.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
            Member #164603
            March 8, 2015
            612 Posts
            Posted: June 17, 2015, 6:23 am - IP Logged

If I win in a state that doesn't give the option of anonymity 100% yes.

Obviously I'd make sure it's weirded in a way that not dispensing 100% of the assets would be illegal.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
              JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
              Member #141034
              April 2, 2013
              1408 Posts
              Posted: June 17, 2015, 8:03 am - IP Logged

Just claim the money and move. I'm not putting anybody in charge of my lottery winnings, no matter how trustworthy, they might seem at the time.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49767 Posts
                Posted: June 17, 2015, 9:12 am - IP Logged

Yes, if the state allows, will claim thru a blind trust that automatically transferfs the winnings into another trust within a day.  You have no control legaly over your money in a blind trust.  You must trust the trustee you chose to properly handle the money for you.

If a blind trust is good enough for senators & congressmen then it is good enough for Jackpot Lottery Winners!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                  Happy California
                  United States
                  Member #157856
                  August 2, 2014
                  1520 Posts
                  Posted: June 17, 2015, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

Each State is different when using trusts. 

Please remember to buy Umbrella insurance.  The first million of coverage will cost $20 per month. I got that number from an advertisement.    This will protect you from annoying lawsuits. 

Bon Fortuna  i.e. Good Luck in Italian

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                    TX
                    United States
                    Member #121193
                    January 4, 2012
                    1637 Posts
                    Posted: June 17, 2015, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Under $8 Million???....myself
                    $9 Million and up ???....Gotta trust the "trust"

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                      USA
                      United States
                      Member #152799
                      February 25, 2014
                      1092 Posts
                      Posted: June 17, 2015, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

If I won a net of +$10 million then without a doubt a trust would claim it.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                        Member #142777
                        May 18, 2013
                        263 Posts
                        Posted: June 17, 2015, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

If Donald Trump can show the brass and courage to do a live press conference and claim 9 BILLION then we

should be able to show up live and claim 100 million!Banana

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7313 Posts
                          Posted: June 17, 2015, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

If a blind trust is good enough for senators & congressmen then it is good enough for Jackpot Lottery Winners!

I Agree! and even without winning a huge jackpot we all should blindly hand all our money over to a financial adviser we just met (before the senators and congressmen get their hands on it).

Hiding Behind Computer

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7313 Posts
                            Posted: June 17, 2015, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Yeah l am aware of the FOIA Coin, But if you have a pretty good Attorney, he/she could bury your identity so deep that the press or whoever was so interested in finding out who you are could/would say " The heck with this, we rather go find out who that female is that K.O''d  that guy breaking into her car". if you laid low for awhile, no one would care who won, they would be busy concentrating on the next JP. Think on this : whose "really talking" about American Pharaoh right Now?..... No One!!

Talked to a retired co-worker today that won a $10 million before tax jackpot several years ago and he stayed under the radar. If a large jackpot winner decides to continue working, living in the same house, and having the same phone number, they will be easy targets.

American Pharoah took a victory lap at Church Hill Downs last Saturday, but other than that it's old news.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                              Member #165244
                              March 30, 2015
                              228 Posts
                              Posted: June 18, 2015, 5:18 am - IP Logged

If we're talking about a large jackpot, a trust seems the way to go.  But for a few mill I would be wiiling to take my chances. However at the same time if you go through a trust you would have to have a lawyer that you trust (no pun inteded) 100%.  So in the end I may just take the money and run...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...