Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you claim your Jackpot winnings through a Trust or Not?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 1 year ago by maximumfun.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
Member #164603
March 8, 2015
614 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2015, 8:32 am - IP Logged

If Donald Trump can show the brass and courage to do a live press conference and claim 9 BILLION then we

should be able to show up live and claim 100 million!Banana

Let's not forget Trump loves attention.

United States
    Member #106134
    February 13, 2011
    806 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2015, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Can't do it in my state.

If I were to ever win, I'd have to change my identity and move out of the U.S. unfortunately.  My state forces winners to have a public picture/video press conference, publishes their full name, street address, date of birth, and social security number.

How's that for lack of privacy?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5615 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2015, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Can't do it in my state.

If I were to ever win, I'd have to change my identity and move out of the U.S. unfortunately.  My state forces winners to have a public picture/video press conference, publishes their full name, street address, date of birth, and social security number.

I would bet they do not publish a winner's ss number. I seriously doubt they publish street address and dob either.

If you're gonna make stuff up, at least try to be credible.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7322 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2015, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

Just claim the money and move. I'm not putting anybody in charge of my lottery winnings, no matter how trustworthy, they might seem at the time.

Tim Duncan just found out he lost $20 million to his former financial adviser.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
          Texas Panhandle
          United States
          Member #136843
          December 20, 2012
          1284 Posts
          Posted: June 18, 2015, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

I would bet they do not publish a winner's ss number. I seriously doubt they publish street address and dob either.

If you're gonna make stuff up, at least try to be credible.

Not sure if it was jj, but that's the second or third time I've seen that same statement.  I agree with you - they won't publish an address or d.o.b. (although those things can easily be found out).  They definitely won't publish a SS#.

As to the question:  No, I wouldn't. If I had children and/or was younger, maybe I would, but probably not.  I'm with the others who wouldn't trust anyone besides myself with control over my money...at least not millions.   That's just me, though - I'm not paranoid, just suspicious. (with good cause)

Here's a good article pertaining to trusts in Texas: Winning the lottery jackpot and estate planning

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: June 18, 2015, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Can't do it in my state.

You've made this comment before and you are still posting misinformation. And yes, Mikeintexas he has said this multiple times and never backs it up with any proof.

Please Jjtheprince, post just one article where a lottery winners social security number has been published. Just one. Or one that has posted someone's street address and date of birth.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
              USA
              United States
              Member #152799
              February 25, 2014
              1094 Posts
              Posted: June 18, 2015, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

Not sure if it was jj, but that's the second or third time I've seen that same statement.  I agree with you - they won't publish an address or d.o.b. (although those things can easily be found out).  They definitely won't publish a SS#.

As to the question:  No, I wouldn't. If I had children and/or was younger, maybe I would, but probably not.  I'm with the others who wouldn't trust anyone besides myself with control over my money...at least not millions.   That's just me, though - I'm not paranoid, just suspicious. (with good cause)

Here's a good article pertaining to trusts in Texas: Winning the lottery jackpot and estate planning

I agree with you. I don't think any lottery office is obligated or allowed to release S/S numbers or DOB. They normally only release the name and town in which the winner is from.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5615 Posts
                Posted: June 18, 2015, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

jj is a troll pure and simple. He posts that stuff to get a response. It worked.

But....it's the last time I ever respond to a comment made by him.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                  Member #149820
                  December 9, 2013
                  644 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2015, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

My theory just because people ask you doesnt mean you have to give it to them just say no. im not claiming it in a trust and Im not waiting 3 or 4 months either....My biggest fear is that I'd win on a weekend and have to wait 2 whole days to claim my cash LOL

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    699 Posts
                    Posted: June 19, 2015, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

My theory just because people ask you doesnt mean you have to give it to them just say no. im not claiming it in a trust and Im not waiting 3 or 4 months either....My biggest fear is that I'd win on a weekend and have to wait 2 whole days to claim my cash LOL

I'd probably try to claim as a trust to make it harder to find me. If anyone asks for money, they aren't getting any.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10354 Posts
                      Posted: June 20, 2015, 12:40 am - IP Logged

Can't do it in my state.

From the Missouri Lottery website If You Win A Jackpot page:

Do you want to participate in a news conference?

At the Lottery Headquarters, a member of the Lottery's communications staff will ask you questions about your win, such as how many tickets you bought, when you found out that you won and what you plan to do with your prize money. This information will be used for a news release.

You will also be asked, but are not required, to participate in a news conference, most likely at the store where you purchased your winning ticket. News conferences can also be held at a Lottery office. This provides the media with a single photo opportunity and a chance for them to ask you a few questions without having each of them contact you at home or at work.

�You want to do a news conference. News conferences normally only last about 15 minutes and are held within a couple of days after your ticket validates. Your ticket is not considered validated until it passes confidential validation requirements at the Lottery's office in Jefferson City, usually within a couple of days after you place your claim. Keep in mind that your news conference should be a lot of fun, like weddings and other happy ceremonies.

You don't want to do a news conference. It's your decision whether or not to participate in a news conference. However, your name and hometown are considered public information, and they will be released to the media. Not only is this information public by law, publishing it is necessary to ensure the integrity of the Lottery's games. If players were never provided with actual names, they may not believe the games are real or fair. If you choose not to do a news conference, the media may still attempt to contact you at home or your place of employment.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                        Lavender Rocket

United States
                        Member #124616
                        March 16, 2012
                        2642 Posts
                        Posted: June 20, 2015, 7:09 am - IP Logged

Will I claim my jackpot winnings through a Trust or Not?

Not

Not not by choice but by design.  1.  I live in a state where anonymity is not allowed.  Bummer, yes I know.  2.  I am playing all my tickets in 2 work pools atm.  I don't know why - it just has worked out convenience-wize, better for me since work has me traveling and family has taken large dose crazy-pills.

I do think the umbrella insurance idea is a good one.  1 million seems kinda low (greedy-people abound) - so I will most likely opt for 5 million in coverage.

And a lawyer AND a financial advisor AND an accountant?  that sounds uber expensive (just threw the uber out there to drive my daughter crazy).  Probably I will let other pool members ferret out the best and brightest that are close by and I will shirt tail onto their info.

80$M/10 = 8$M gross =approx 2$M AT&T (after taxes & tithe)

**I can handle 2$M.  It would round out my retirement.  sounds like a plan!**