Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be willing to change your name in order to remain anonymous?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 1 year ago by maximumfun.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: June 22, 2015, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

Whether for a short while or not?

If so: Would you consider it a smart move to do so before you claim your jackpot winnings and perhaps after the press has gone on this wild & exhaustive goose chase looking for "_____________" you take back your Old name?

l read where it has been done before- however would you " consider" it an option or not in your case, particularly in a State that absolutely prohibits anonymity for Lottery Jackpot Winners?

Personally: Not sure. How about you?

*** Have a Great Rest of the Week People: As always- Stay Healthy.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
    nc
    United States
    Member #99520
    October 26, 2010
    375 Posts
    Posted: June 22, 2015, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Am on the fence with this one, since changing your name legslly requires you to post an announcement in the newspaper that you are changing your name to.....

So that would defeat the puprpose.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: June 23, 2015, 4:22 am - IP Logged

I don't know. Odds are I would probably just keep my last name, but I won't say never because who knows what would happen after winning a big jackpot. I could take my mothers maiden name which is a really common last name to help hide my identity.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
        Lavender Rocket

United States
        Member #124616
        March 16, 2012
        2642 Posts
        Posted: June 23, 2015, 7:24 am - IP Logged

Would I change my name... Jane Smith or Mary Martin or Susan Brown... to something really unique... Anna Williams!

Then I would need to change my SS card, Drivers Licence, Passport, all the utilities ... that sounds like alot of attention being drawn to my having my name changed... oh and then there are the ID cards for work... and security clearances... 

and to next change BACK to my given/married name... wouldnt that draw attention to the old-new winning name?  although i suppose one could move to a new area and take the middle name as first - so I switch from say Jane Marie to Marie Jane - and then go to an odd last name like Black - I could give the reason of divorce and going back to my Maiden name of something like Harvey...

Criminy - I forget where I put my keys - what would I do with having to remember what I did to undo it to go back to what I was.  (yelp!)

Although... Missy Claire Swishybottom does sound like a delightful name choice...

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #18322
          July 9, 2005
          1706 Posts
          Posted: June 23, 2015, 8:45 am - IP Logged

People could always figure out who the winner running scared is, b/c you can't convince friends/family to start calling you by a different name.  Someone in your social circle would eventually "out" you, reveal your real identity, put two and two together,  figure out that you're up to something, and keep digging until they eventually figure out that you're trying to claim lottery money "anonymously", via a "new name"

United States
            Member #164725
            March 12, 2015
            342 Posts
            Posted: June 23, 2015, 9:36 am - IP Logged

If so: Would you consider it a smart move to do so before you claim your jackpot winnings and perhaps after the press has gone on this wild & exhaustive goose chase looking for "_____________" you take back your Old name?

l read where it has been done before- however would you " consider" it an option or not in your case, particularly in a State that absolutely prohibits anonymity for Lottery Jackpot Winners?

Wouldnt work.  Why not just enjoy your new imaginary wealth and stop worrying?  Wink

I read about a winner from SoCal who waited a decent interval and then his lawyer drove him up to an out of the way Lotto office in NoCal to claim the prize. Then he and his wife hopped a plane for an extended vacation. 

Who you hiding from, by the way?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: June 23, 2015, 9:59 am - IP Logged

This topic was based on information l read  from a site called " lucky You- advice for instant millionaires". I  wondered at the time how many would find it doable or not? 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: June 23, 2015, 10:26 am - IP Logged

Some of the advice is showing up to claim your prize in a Gorilla Suit...go figure. 

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1534 Posts
                  Posted: June 23, 2015, 10:31 am - IP Logged

No, it would be easier to just move to a gated community and try to be as normal/average person as possible.

meaning:

1.  don't take the very, very very expensive car to the grocery store.
                  2. try to look like an average person (someone who has not won/made/born into millions)

If you have ever lived in a middle to upper class neighborhood, have you ever notice who was a millionaire and who was not, say in a grocery store?

I have lived in San Diego (4s ranch community which is on that line of upper middle class to multi-millionaire, and I could never tell who was a millionaire.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #129225
                    June 13, 2012
                    546 Posts
                    Posted: June 23, 2015, 10:45 am - IP Logged

No, I would not change my name.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49808 Posts
                      Posted: June 23, 2015, 10:46 am - IP Logged

In a situation where the legal identity of the person is disguised, the person is using a pseudonym, which would be considered to be using "pseudonymity" not "anonymity".

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                        Member #164603
                        March 8, 2015
                        613 Posts
                        Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Some of the advice is showing up to claim your prize in a Gorilla Suit...go figure. 

That's what a lot of the chinese lottery winners do.

I would be having fun with it, unless they said no gorilla costume could be worn.

Would I change my name? Yes, but in Germany it's up to the registry office personnel, and short of your parents abusing you or your name being Hitler it's very hard to get them to do it.

And don't you have to post notice in many US states? That would defeat the purpose if you had to buy an ad in the newspaper.

Sorrento's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #167029
                          June 22, 2015
                          8 Posts
                          Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Wouldnt work.  Why not just enjoy your new imaginary wealth and stop worrying?  Wink

I read about a winner from SoCal who waited a decent interval and then his lawyer drove him up to an out of the way Lotto office in NoCal to claim the prize. Then he and his wife hopped a plane for an extended vacation. 

Who you hiding from, by the way?

I think the above situation of the winner going on an extended vacation is the better plan.  Much easier than changing your name.  Head overseas for 3 months and have a good long think about what you're going to do with the money, away from pestering by relatives you can't stand and wouldn't spit on if they were on fire, casual acquaintances who suddenly claim close friendship, and every other beggar crawling out of the woodwork.  Then live in a gated community when you come home.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                            Lavender Rocket

United States
                            Member #124616
                            March 16, 2012
                            2642 Posts
                            Posted: June 23, 2015, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

From Raven62:  In a situation where the legal identity of the person is disguised, the person is using a pseudonym, which would be considered to be using "pseudonymity" not "anonymity".

Love it!  Hurray!

Krypton
                              United States
                              Member #140102
                              March 11, 2013
                              891 Posts
                              Posted: June 23, 2015, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I would not and have not changed my name. Instead set up a Trust BEFORE you claim your prize. Sign the back of your ticket and put it in. SAFE place then go see a lawyer. No one will ever know unless yo choose to tell them

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?