Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 7:47 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be willing to change your name in order to remain anonymous?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 2 years ago by maximumfun.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
Member #165244
March 30, 2015
229 Posts
Posted: June 23, 2015, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I dont think I would.  Because your picture would be out there, so not sure what a name change would do.  I'd rather just buy a new car and take an extra long road trip.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
    TX
    United States
    Member #121193
    January 4, 2012
    1637 Posts
    Posted: June 23, 2015, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

No need for a name change...Hook up the trust with the Atty and have him/her as the spokesperson and collector, get a mailing address at a campground, new cell # and email....destination ??  someplace in the USA.

United States
      Member #164725
      March 12, 2015
      365 Posts
      Posted: June 23, 2015, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

Some states, California being one of them, require the winner's name and town be published.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4144 Posts
        Posted: June 23, 2015, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Some states, California being one of them, require the winner's name and town be published.

Yes California does require a name, and you going to give them one..the New One. The Town thingie is of little value. One could live in Lodi and purchase your winning ticket in Pleasanton.That is why l am convinced that some of the tickets that go unclaimed are from folks from out of State or Truckers simply passing through, they go in to this store pick up a six pack, some cigarettes and get a ticket or two.They forget about it once they see the Mrs & the kids. Next thing you know,the Mrs throws their dirty jeans & ticket into the washer. Apart from that,the lottery simply wants to name " the Store & location" knowing full well that some people who are ultra superstitious will flock to said location hoping that some of that pixie dust will rub off on them. It happens all the time.There is this convenience store in San Leandro that has sold * I think 4 winning jp tickets- if you happen to drive by this store when the jackpot is high, I swear you would think that they are raising the dead inside that store..the crowds. You get the picture..

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4144 Posts
          Posted: June 23, 2015, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

People could always figure out who the winner running scared is, b/c you can't convince friends/family to start calling you by a different name.  Someone in your social circle would eventually "out" you, reveal your real identity, put two and two together,  figure out that you're up to something, and keep digging until they eventually figure out that you're trying to claim lottery money "anonymously", via a "new name"

Partly True DC- Your " Family & friends" wouldn't know you changed your name because it is for a short duration. They can continue to call you Kenny or whatever, in fact the name change would be known only by You & the people processing your application. It's Private- no one other than yourself has to know. If someone sees a name change that is yours you could simply say " I seriously doubt l am the only one with that name, besides who cares what people do with their names, it's probably some nut case who heard there was two of us with the same name, I have no time to focus on losers-here, have another cold One".

Remember you going to change your name back to what it was DC...it's elementary my Dear Watson...Big Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
            Member #164725
            March 12, 2015
            365 Posts
            Posted: June 23, 2015, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

Yes California does require a name, and you going to give them one..the New One. The Town thingie is of little value. One could live in Lodi and purchase your winning ticket in Pleasanton.That is why l am convinced that some of the tickets that go unclaimed are from folks from out of State or Truckers simply passing through, they go in to this store pick up a six pack, some cigarettes and get a ticket or two.They forget about it once they see the Mrs & the kids. Next thing you know,the Mrs throws their dirty jeans & ticket into the washer. Apart from that,the lottery simply wants to name " the Store & location" knowing full well that some people who are ultra superstitious will flock to said location hoping that some of that pixie dust will rub off on them. It happens all the time.There is this convenience store in San Leandro that has sold * I think 4 winning jp tickets- if you happen to drive by this store when the jackpot is high, I swear you would think that they are raising the dead inside that store..the crowds. You get the picture..

I suggest you check the requirements of changing your name.  There is paper work plus you must publish your intent to change your name in a newspaper of general circulation once a week for 4 weeks in a row in a newspaper approved by the court. After submitting proof that this is done, you get a court date. After you appear, the judge will make the decision.    And you want to do this twice???? Please...  Again, your name change(s) will be published and obviously easy to find in any computer search. 

Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4144 Posts
              Posted: June 23, 2015, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

I suggest you check the requirements of changing your name.  There is paper work plus you must publish your intent to change your name in a newspaper of general circulation once a week for 4 weeks in a row in a newspaper approved by the court. After submitting proof that this is done, you get a court date. After you appear, the judge will make the decision.    And you want to do this twice???? Please...  Again, your name change(s) will be published and obviously easy to find in any computer search. 

Redd- it's a discussion & only a discussion. I did not say l was going to change my name, l happen to like my name.The topic was taken from an article l read and l am simply expanding on the idea of " what if"..

United States
                Member #164725
                March 12, 2015
                365 Posts
                Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Redd- it's a discussion & only a discussion. I did not say l was going to change my name, l happen to like my name.The topic was taken from an article l read and l am simply expanding on the idea of " what if"..

And I'm discussing the fact that it is a silly idea.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10389 Posts
                  Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Tough one noise-gate. Lots of reasons not to have been pointed out.

I'll say it one more time, how about a Jackpot Winners Protection Program? 

Just like witness protection but for jackpot winners. Someone or several people else go to accept the check, handles all attempted correspondence, etc....

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                    Member #164725
                    March 12, 2015
                    365 Posts
                    Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

The best way would be to change the laws.  However, good luck getting the state legislature on your side. They benefit from the lottery and the lottery benefits from the free publicity of people having their names published.  I think the only way they wd change is if someone who won a jackpot was murdered because of it. That seems to happen in FL and MI. I havent heard of it happening in CA....yet.

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4144 Posts
                      Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

From the Article Redd.

Many lawyers say that one of the first people winners hear from are former wives or former husbands. They will either ask you for money upfront or "suggest" that it might be a good time to renegotiate their divorce settlement. And, lawyers would know about that. Faced with the prospect of such wealth, many lawyers would be willing to take your "ex's" case on contingency, hoping to carve out a piece of your jackpot pie for themselves. Your bank accounts can be frozen for months awaiting such a trial.

The good news is that you can keep all those people in the dark about your good fortune. How? Create a legal (and effective) "shadow" identity. Remember that you have at least 180 days to redeem your ticket. So, the second order of business is to legally change your name ... BEFORE you redeem the ticket. It's a relatively cheap process and takes about 90 days on the average. In fact, many people do legal name changes all by themselves by simply filling out their own forms and turning them in to the county court clerk. I did (grin).

Oddly, some winners are hounded so badly after they win that they feel compelled to change their names. And I've always wondered why they didn't change their names first. Then, after the ticket is redeemed under the new name, simply reverse the name change process to reclaim your old name. If George Doolittle is your real name and you change it to Peter Franks before redeeming your ticket, media people and other interested persons will be looking for someone who only exists on paper - and only for a short space of time.

Note that there are two things you must do after your name change is approved and before you redeem the ticket. First, get your driver license changed over. Secondly, send a certified copy of the name change order to the Social Security Administration, getting a new card. Then and only then should you redeem the ticket.

Whether you think this guy is crazy or not is a topic for another day.

Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4144 Posts
                        Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

How about these further Apples....

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT !!!

Try to keep your wallet or purse shut as well ... at least for the near-term future. Most money experts, at this point, would advise you to seek out and hire a financial planner. But not me. Why seek out and hire a financial planner when you can BE one? Many colleges and universities like Boston University in Massachusetts or Pepperdine University in California offer self-paced financial planning courses you can take online in the privacy of your own home. They entail 6 courses (or 7 courses if "Capstone" training is required). Once you complete these courses with a passing grade, these universities give you a certificate of completion (eg., a diploma suitable for framing) that attests to your competency as a financial planner.

During this training period, do not increase your lifestyle-level in a manner that would raise eyebrows or be publicly noticed. Yeah, you can quit your job (grin). Tell friends and relatives that you "know what you're doing" ... and are taking training to be a freelance financial planner so you can work out of your home.

This training solves two problems. First, by spending the first few months of your post-jackpot life learning how to wisely handle your money, you'll be less inclined to spend it recklessly or give it away recklessly. The "spending" and "giving" can always come later - after you've learned to do it wisely. Secondly, once you have your certificate of course completion, you now have an "excuse" to explain away a job resignation or a rapid increase in the level of your lifestyle. Think about that for a second and consider the situation.

If you're living in an apartment and driving a fifteen-year-old Chevy Astro one week - and living in an upper middle-class house and driving a Mercedes the next week, a lot of people around you might become curious. If they do become curious, satisfy their curiosity by showing them your framed certificate. Tell them you're making considerably more money as a freelance financial planner than you did while you were employed. If they ask you questions about your clientele, simply tell them that client information is considered confidential. And if they ask if they can become one of your clients, simply tell them you're already serving the maximum number of clients that you can handle professionally - and are no longer taking on new clients. Because financial planners earn a very good income, your sudden good fortune will be explained to their satisfaction.

Technically speaking, you wouldn't be lying to them. You'd merely be omitting the fact that YOU are your only client.

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4144 Posts
                          Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Apples...yeah, there is more...

Final Words

Lottery winner horror stories not only involve how winners mismanaged their anonymity but also how their money was mismanaged - sometimes by others. That's why I recommended that you take training to be your own financial planner instead of seeking out and hiring one. Remember Bernard Madoff? A number of wealthy and influential persons (like Steven Spielberg) trusted Madoff with their money - only to see it vanish in the wind. Even banks like HSBC and educational institutions like Tufts University trusted this man. The Madoff example should have taught us that impressive credentials and impressive client lists are meaningless. In a world where financial shenanigans are more commonplace, the best advice to take comes from poet & playwright, William Shakespeare - "To thine own self be true."

The wisest thing to do, for wealth preservation purposes, is to invest your money ONLY in "insured" vehicles. TIPS Securities (U.S. Treasury) and High Yield CDs (or standard savings accounts) come to mind. They might not pay returns as high as growth funds recommended by (ahem) "experts." But, the only way you'll lose your principal is if the U.S. Government goes bankrupt. And if that happens, it won't matter where you have your money invested since it would all be worthless anyway.

Just remember that ALL money invested in U.S. Treasury securities is "safe." While they're not insured, per se ... well ... read the last 2 sentences of the last paragraph (grin). Bank savings accounts and high-yield CDs are a bit trickier. Keep in mind that deposits are only insured up to $250,000 BANK BY BANK, not BRANCH BY BRANCH. Make certain you entrust no more that $250,000 to any single bank. If you do and the bank goes into default, you'll lose anything above that first $250,000.

What would I personally do with a large jackpot windfall? This changed recently in Washington state, depending upon whether the jackpot is more or less than $100,000,000. Jackpot tickets over $100,000,000 must be redeemed in person at the state lottery headquarters office ... and only by appointment.

I wasn't born yesterday. The ticket verification process is the same, regardless of the jackpot amount. So, while the lottery commission says they'll do whatever they can to respect your privacy concerns, the reason for the "appointment" is clear. When you show up to redeem such a ticket, you won't show up alone. The lottery commission requires an appointment for only one reason - to give them time to set up a media feeding-frenzy. So, what would I do?

I'd show up at appointment time with a lawyer, to make sure the lottery commission doesn't exceed their legal rights during the redemption process. Also, I'd show up with 2 or 3 personal bodyguards to keep media hounds at a distance. Finally, I know where I could get a good "extreme makeover" ... and/or (grin) where I could rent a good gorilla costume.

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4144 Posts
                            Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

If the jackpot was under $100,000,000? I'd follow my own advice - to a point. I'd do the legal name change, redeem the ticket via registered mail under my new name, then change my name back to my current name afterward. But, I'm retired now (grin) and nobody knows about my personal finances except me, my bankers, and the I.R.S. So, I'd have no need to erect any kind of "financial planner" facade.

Regardless of the jackpot amount and once the money is in my hands, I'd first buy, accessorize and remodel (if necessary) a good middle-class home. Then, I'd get two good middle-class cars (one for a backup if the other has to go into the shop). If people ask me how I did it, I'd just tell them I dipped into my retirement savings (without telling them a lottery jackpot was part of it). Then, I'd make a few pre-determined charitible gifts. Afterward, I'd put $500,000 into my two credit-union savings accounts ($250,000 each at two "different" credit unions). Both allow unfettered online transfers into a checking account. Whatever's left over would be divided into four parts - to be invested in treasury securities in four countries:

#1 - Switzerland
                            #2 - New Zealand
                            #3 - Singapore
                            #4 - U.S.A.

Why them? The EWI Stable Currency Index, maintained by Elliott Wave International (the world's largest market forecasting company) chooses four international currencies as the most stable. To make this determination, EWI takes 8 factors into consideration - the liquidity of its banking system, its national savings rate, its central bank's integrity and transparency, the history of its legal system, the extent of its political neutrality, the degree to which it is isolated geographically, its prospects for inflation, and geographical detachment from the other selections.

Point is, the likelihood that any of these currencies would fail is very very low. But even if one of them failed, the stability of the other three currencies would remain largely unaffected by the failure. In short, you should never put all your eggs in one basket (grin). Four baskets are better than one.

.. lm out of here. Dinner Date with the Mrs whose looking ravishing.

wisconsin
                              United States
                              Member #130754
                              July 23, 2012
                              199 Posts
                              Posted: June 23, 2015, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm fairly happy with my name John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.