Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

winning the lottery and retirement

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Funtimz.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4986 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2015, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

I just thought of this idea I havent acted on it yet. If all of us lottery players, heavy spenders or not had the patience to watch out trees grow then we dont have to play the lottery 

So your home is paid off and you have a large retirement account? I doubt it.

J'aime La France.

CALI
    Afghanistan
    Member #118735
    November 6, 2011
    134 Posts
    Posted: July 10, 2015, 1:57 am - IP Logged

I don't do Starbucks and don't hit fancy restaurants, but giving up the Ferrari and racing NO GO.

Its paid for...

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

United States
      Member #106134
      February 13, 2011
      806 Posts
      Posted: July 10, 2015, 9:29 am - IP Logged

Thats if you spend only $40 a week, I know some people that spend 200 a week thats $10,400 a year or $260,000 in 25 years 

If anyone out there is spending $200/week on the lottery, they obviously don't NEED it lol.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5145 Posts
        Posted: July 10, 2015, 11:00 am - IP Logged

All the money you spend on lottery can be saved up by time you hit retirement age, you'll have a nice stash.

If you spend 40 dollars a week thats $2080 a year times by 25 years thats $52,000!

Where will you keep all your money after saving for twenty-five years? The people in Greece can't get their money outta the banks Thud000000$

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: July 11, 2015, 10:08 am - IP Logged

While $52,000 is a nice sum, it is not enough to retire on. Just because people play lotteries, it doesn't mean that they don't save for retirement.

$40 a week would be nice meal out, very cheap meal in many areas.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5145 Posts
            Posted: July 11, 2015, 11:48 am - IP Logged

52000  thats  peanuts

I Agree!  52000 will be peas 25 years from today!  A Smart 4/2 car will cost $100,000 at least and a Ford or Chevy $250,000 maby more? What about your

$2000 a month utility bill for your 300 sq. ft. apartment? How long can you live in New York today on 52000 a "TEAR" ? People pay that much to

park their car in a climate controled garage today in that city. Who can afford  anything in NYC today anyway except the VERY>VERY>RICH>>>$$$

Today lotta people I know have 3 PT jobs working 60 to 90 hours a week just to pay rent and food and afford wheels. Times have changed for

many people in the last eight years who lost full time work with benefits. DON't feel GUILTY if you spend a $20 on jackpot or lotto ticket!!!!!!!!

Party Dance Party

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: July 11, 2015, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Lotteries raise revenue for many worthwhile projects all over the world, and have done for centuries. Yes, we should all plan and invest for the future. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have a little fun on a lottery. We all benefit from the revenue raised.

Everything in moderation!

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                TX
                United States
                Member #121193
                January 4, 2012
                1637 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2015, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Having a little fun and enjoying the feelings of "what if" a lottery jackpot comes your way. Oh, I know its a terribly long shot and only a couple of dozen win the big one in a year. The fact is, that someone does win and usually on a monthly basis. I look at the money spent on alcohol and cigarettes (which I do not indulge) oops, forgot about the marijuana in selective legalized areas or illegally purchased(don't do that either). Heck, going to the movies and doing the popcorn , drink and candy treat can pretty much ruin a $50 bill. While I could save for retirement or a rainy day, I enjoy the lil thrill I get from purchasing a single lottery ticket and spending a few bucks a week. So for those that want to save, please have at it !! And for those of use who want to indulge and take a chance.....Well....LETS HAVE SOME FUN AND ENJOY THE POSSIBILITIESSee Ya!

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                  Texas Panhandle
                  United States
                  Member #136843
                  December 20, 2012
                  1409 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2015, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

I have a pretty good retirement plan:  a jar full of pennies and a lottery ticket good for four more drawings.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5765 Posts
                    Posted: July 11, 2015, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

I have a pretty good retirement plan:  a jar full of pennies and a lottery ticket good for four more drawings.

Mike, are you copying my plan???

LOL.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                      Texas Panhandle
                      United States
                      Member #136843
                      December 20, 2012
                      1409 Posts
                      Posted: July 12, 2015, 12:16 am - IP Logged

Mike, are you copying my plan???

LOL.

Great minds and all that.  You and I should probably have our own TV show:  Two Broke Texans (I'd better not hear any "Brokeback" Texan jokes from the peanut gallery)

My plan is a little better than it seems;  some of those coins are wheat pennies.  Well, a couple of 'em, anyway.

I won 2 bucks on tonight's Texas Lottery.  The line cost $2, though.  Better to break even than break bad, I guess.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                        Gurnee, Illinois
                        United States
                        Member #49731
                        February 12, 2007
                        919 Posts
                        Posted: July 16, 2015, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

I prefer giving myself a chance to experience a life I only could have if I were a CEO. I plan to continue playing the lottery and becoming a boss in business.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                          Dump Water Florida
                          United States
                          Member #380
                          June 5, 2002
                          3114 Posts
                          Posted: July 17, 2015, 8:43 am - IP Logged

Having a little fun and enjoying the feelings of "what if" a lottery jackpot comes your way. Oh, I know its a terribly long shot and only a couple of dozen win the big one in a year. The fact is, that someone does win and usually on a monthly basis. I look at the money spent on alcohol and cigarettes (which I do not indulge) oops, forgot about the marijuana in selective legalized areas or illegally purchased(don't do that either). Heck, going to the movies and doing the popcorn , drink and candy treat can pretty much ruin a $50 bill. While I could save for retirement or a rainy day, I enjoy the lil thrill I get from purchasing a single lottery ticket and spending a few bucks a week. So for those that want to save, please have at it !! And for those of use who want to indulge and take a chance.....Well....LETS HAVE SOME FUN AND ENJOY THE POSSIBILITIESSee Ya!

Old info from the NASPL

Is it true that the odds of winning the lottery are worse than being struck by lightning?
                          No, even if we just consider the awarding of large jackpots. In 1996 1,136 people won $1,000,000 or more playing North American lotteries. An additional 4,520 won $100,000 or more. By contrast, 91 people were killed by lightning.

More then a couple of dozen win the big one each year.

$20 is the new $5 bill.

BobP

alsmurf4's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                            mississippi
                            United States
                            Member #158372
                            August 20, 2014
                            15 Posts
                            Posted: July 19, 2015, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

I buy one Megamilliions, one Powerball and one Louisiana Lotto for each drawing and consider that $8 a week part of my entertainment budget, just like movies or eating out.

CALI
                              Afghanistan
                              Member #118735
                              November 6, 2011
                              134 Posts
                              Posted: July 19, 2015, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

I never thought that we would be spending $1,000 per month for <snip>ing lotto.

But 100 per player aint bad, hopefully we wont have to do this for 20 years...

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)