Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Winners who make their money grow

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 1 year ago by DELotteryPlyr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
homestead
United States
Member #158182
August 14, 2014
132 Posts
Posted: July 8, 2015, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Are they any success stories out there whereby Lottery winners invest their money and end up with more money than what they got from the initial ceremonial check, aside from Brad Duke? I certainly would love to see if there are Lotto winners who won on average $5 Million to $10 Million and was able to make it grow into $60 Million to $100 Million in less than 10 years.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
    Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1522 Posts
    Posted: July 8, 2015, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

There are those winners who invested in real estate. Large homes on many acres of land.  Such as the two families in Oregon. They split their winnings amongst themselves. I will use the search engine here on Lottery Post and try to get the names.

I searched "Oregon families who won big jackpot." I found The West Family Foundation and The Robert & Frances Chaney Family Foundation. November 2005

I also found on the same page, Neal Wanless June 5,2009.

Search for more and you will find what you are looking for.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Fort Wayne, IN
      United States
      Member #167438
      July 12, 2015
      5 Posts
      Posted: July 12, 2015, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

smart ones invest. yes! Gold!

Hi Everyone, Check my daily Lotto Scratching on YouTube "TheSatyr"

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3475 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2015, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

I'm guessing there's a strong correlation between managing your lottery jackpot well and not having the media report about what's happened since you won. If somebody is disciplined enough to invest wisely and spend appropriately I don't expect them to be the subject of news stories. I think Brad Duke is probably unusual, in that he seems to appreciate some media attention, but hasn't done anything really stupid for the media to report on.

That said, I've seen a few reports that say people who won some time back have done well. I've got no idea if the reporters verified that the claims were true. I'll also note that  managing your money well doesn't mean you can't run out of money. It just means you can't run out too soon. Nobody needs money once they're dead even though they may have good reasons for leaving an estate.

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2015, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Are they any success stories out there whereby Lottery winners invest their money and end up with more money than what they got from the initial ceremonial check, aside from Brad Duke? I certainly would love to see if there are Lotto winners who won on average $5 Million to $10 Million and was able to make it grow into $60 Million to $100 Million in less than 10 years.

I suspect there are many, but these people are far too sensible to go public about their finances. All lottery winners should be offered independent financial advice, which the UK lottery offers.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

homestead
            United States
            Member #158182
            August 14, 2014
            132 Posts
            Posted: July 26, 2015, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I suspect there are many, but these people are far too sensible to go public about their finances. All lottery winners should be offered independent financial advice, which the UK lottery offers.

Agreed. Otherwise, some of them might have friends and family members knocking on their door asking them for a handout. On the extreme, if they find out that you're a lottery winner, they might even kill you...

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4110 Posts
              Posted: July 26, 2015, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

l can understand investing your money if say you won a $200 mil jackpot, but attempting to let it grow to become a Billion Dollars?- for what purpose? So that others would, could reap the benefits of your struggle to amass that wealth, screw that- l would call that an obsession! Heck, if you not satisfied with $200 mil, what makes you think you going to be satisfied with a Billion Dollars? When would one be enjoying their wealth if all one tells themselves  " Reach a Billion Baby". I would want to Live in the present,  not in the " what if's".

* Luke 12: 16-20...

However to each his own. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10354 Posts
                Posted: July 26, 2015, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

The less you flash*
                The better your chance of keeping the cash

Multiple high en cars
                Mansions
                Bling
                etc....

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4110 Posts
                  Posted: July 26, 2015, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Image result for losing a billion dollars

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Happy California
                    United States
                    Member #157856
                    August 2, 2014
                    1522 Posts
                    Posted: July 26, 2015, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Will Rogers said,"I am more concerned with the return of my money then with the return on it."

CDARS could be what I am looking for.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2659 Posts
                      Posted: July 26, 2015, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

The less you flash*
                      The better your chance of keeping the cash

Multiple high en cars
                      Mansions
                      Bling
                      etc....

Yes Nod

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10354 Posts
                        Posted: July 26, 2015, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Just consider David Lee Edwards and Brad Duke.

Two opposites.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Happy California
                          United States
                          Member #157856
                          August 2, 2014
                          1522 Posts
                          Posted: July 26, 2015, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Children do what feels good. Adults make plans and follow through with them.

Sure, Adults can change their minds and plans but then they follow through with the new plans.

David Lee Edwards said he wanted to do good with his money but he did not act upon his intentions.

Brad Duke is not a "Charlie good time" but he is an adult, disciplined, and thoughtful.  I am thankful that he appears on How the Lottery Changed My Life.

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4110 Posts
                            Posted: July 26, 2015, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Children do what feels good. Adults make plans and follow through with them.

Sure, Adults can change their minds and plans but then they follow through with the new plans.

David Lee Edwards said he wanted to do good with his money but he did not act upon his intentions.

Brad Duke is not a "Charlie good time" but he is an adult, disciplined, and thoughtful.  I am thankful that he appears on How the Lottery Changed My Life.

Brad Duke won $220,000,000 in 2005, since then he has been as you say " disciplined and thoughtful". On his win, the following is written...

The total annuity prize from Powerball was $220 million, and he received $126 million of that in a check.

After $40 million in personal taxes were deducted, he received $86 million.

He started several ventures with a staff of about 20 - a personal assistant, accountants, a publicist, sales people and consultants. Brad left a large portion of his win in conservative investments, and went on to manage mountain bike races and promotion.

Later he moved to more of a sponsor relationship with cycling.

In the meantime, he spent very little of his own money, but plenty to charity. His publicist, Edward Moore, said he had spent less than $1 million since the win but had given away more  than $2 million to friends, family and charity through the Duke family foundation. Today Brad works with authenticated charitable organisations in the state of Idaho. His goal has always been the same... to build his capital to $1 billion in order to help others..... 

Taken from : The Lotto Life.

**So in 10 years or since 2005, Brad has given away $2 mil to charity- at this pace, its $4 mil in 20 years, $8 mil in 40 years and so on and so forth.. 

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10354 Posts
                              Posted: July 26, 2015, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Quite a difference between doing what Brad Duke did and Edwards taking an entourage to Las Vegas.

Lep