Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Weaning myself off of the lottery

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 1 year ago by morgothaod.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
Member #154519
April 19, 2014
243 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2015, 9:13 am - IP Logged

I want to free my mind and try to get rid of my thoughts of winning it big.  Don't get me wrong, that would be nice but I need to be realistic too.  Instead of thinking about money so much, I would like to spend more time focusing on the things in my life that are most important.  Those things to me are family, friends, relationships, and personal growth.  I believe by changing my gambling habits, I'll make the thoughts of striking it big less and replace them with other things that really matter.  The goal is to gamble twice a week, then twice a month, and I'll end at once a month.

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49784 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2015, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Simple Living Can Make us More Engaged in the Things that Matter in our Life!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4108 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2015, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Whatever brings you satisfaction Morg.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #104962
        January 23, 2011
        1075 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2015, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like a good plan, good luck.Smile

Trump 2016!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2015, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

You didn't mention if you play your own #s

Easier to quit w/ QPs, you won't worry about your #s coming out when you skip a game.

I changed to QPs when they changed the matrix on the cash 5 game, essentially making it a new game,

and cut my budget in half when I became an occasional player on MM & PB.

when PB changes in the fall I will quit it altogether.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2015, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how to ignore $20M+ prize that can be won by spending $2 so I think I'll keep playing MM & PB at the pace of a ticket a draw.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
              Member #161539
              December 3, 2014
              328 Posts
              Posted: July 13, 2015, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how to ignore $20M+ prize that can be won by spending $2 so I think I'll keep playing MM & PB at the pace of a ticket a draw.

maringoman ... I have to agree with you. I've stopped playing many times through the years on the big games but after a few weeks I'm thinking ... I should be buying a ticket on MM and PB, maybe one night everything will change ... it's happened for other people.

However, it's more likely that your bottom post line will be the real fact ... "That money's gone forever" !!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19830 Posts
                Posted: July 13, 2015, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I want to free my mind and try to get rid of my thoughts of winning it big.  Don't get me wrong, that would be nice but I need to be realistic too.  Instead of thinking about money so much, I would like to spend more time focusing on the things in my life that are most important.  Those things to me are family, friends, relationships, and personal growth.  I believe by changing my gambling habits, I'll make the thoughts of striking it big less and replace them with other things that really matter.  The goal is to gamble twice a week, then twice a month, and I'll end at once a month.

Take up smoking and drinking.  When ever I'm buying lottery ticket someone picking up a six pack or a carton of cigarettes always ask me why I'm wasting my money on lottery tickets and tells me they stop doing that a long time ago.  Apparently when you waste your money on other things, you don't have any left for lottery tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2015, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

maringoman ... I have to agree with you. I've stopped playing many times through the years on the big games but after a few weeks I'm thinking ... I should be buying a ticket on MM and PB, maybe one night everything will change ... it's happened for other people.

However, it's more likely that your bottom post line will be the real fact ... "That money's gone forever" !!!

Yessir. That's right. I realise that I most likely won't win big so I'm proceeding very cautiously.

That money's gone fo ever

Fort Wayne, IN
                    United States
                    Member #167438
                    July 12, 2015
                    5 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2015, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

wish you luck

Hi Everyone, Check my daily Lotto Scratching on YouTube "TheSatyr"

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
                      Member #154519
                      April 19, 2014
                      243 Posts
                      Posted: July 13, 2015, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Simple Living Can Make us More Engaged in the Things that Matter in our Life!

That is what I want to achieve.  I have learned a bit about this thing called minimalism and it sounds appealing to me.  So far, I have donated about 13 boxes of things to the Salvation Army.  Besides getting rid of some of the physical junk in my life that I stopped using, I have also freed up a little bit of mental junk by uninstalling programs on my computer that I don't use (I now don't have a ton of icons on my desktop). 

I ultimately want to wean myself from internet usage (I spend a ton of time doing things that aren't productive).  It's tough for me to give that up though because I'm not a very social person and am a bit of a loner (So I don't really have anyone to do things with).  I guess maybe if I have no distractions, I'll use my extra free time to go out and improve on many aspects of my life.  That or stare at walls and go crazy…

I just think I could get more out of life if I freed myself from time consuming devices.  It just seems like I could be doing more with my life.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                        Member #165244
                        March 30, 2015
                        228 Posts
                        Posted: July 13, 2015, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like a good plan.  I have to limit my lottery funds because of being a single parent and I still like to do other things like travel. And eat out and shop...Wink

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #74096
                          May 2, 2009
                          22942 Posts
                          Posted: July 14, 2015, 12:18 am - IP Logged

If you want to stop and don't immediately then you're still hanging onto what

you want to eliminate. You're easing out of it and what that says to me is you

are hoping twice per week gets you a win, then once per week, then once per

month, then you'll stop? Instead of the plan being one where you quit what 

you know isn't making you happy and focus on what might make you happy, 

you have two plans going. This isn't smoking. You are saying there are more

important things in life and there are unless you chose to miss or neglect them

due to chasing money. 

Do you know what the odds are of striking it rich? Very poor. You're saying you 

want to stop thinking of being rich. What do you play? Jackpot games? Instants?

Daily games? Preoccupation that takes other things away or prevents you from

doing things you like or other things isn't good....I think you know that though.

I think you need to get realistic about what you have now, what you'd like to do

and what you're missing. Get out there and do what you want. Give up the lottery

today. You haven't won yet and, sorry, probably never will. If you think in terms

of something running your life instead of you it might be easier. They say we are

responsible for our own happiness. The lottery is in the business of selling their

product and making you think winning is what you need. They are good at brain-

washing. Trouble with that is they don't deliver on their claims too often. Some of

the lucky ones will tell you they wish they could go back to life before winning. What

does that tell you? That they're nuts? Or that winning didn't make them happy? If you

think it's #1 then you've got a long way to go. It's probably better for you to just quit

ASAP. Weaning off for someone who wants to enjoy things and not obsess about

hitting it big isn't helping it's just keeping the hope alive for a little bit longer. That's

the last you need.

Gl to you and I hope you'll find things you'll take great enjoyment 

in doing. There's a lot to life, don't miss out. Most of it is free and has something to

give back to you unlike false hope and wasted dreaming.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                            JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                            Member #141034
                            April 2, 2013
                            1408 Posts
                            Posted: July 14, 2015, 8:55 am - IP Logged

I will keep playing because I like to play but my winnings come from p5 not PB or MM.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

JeetKuneDoLotto's avatar - mystic

United States
                              Member #161367
                              November 27, 2014
                              60 Posts
                              Posted: July 14, 2015, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Wean when you lose, not when you win.

Because of styles, people are separated.  They are not united together because styles became law.  But the original founder of the style started out with hypothesis - but now it has become the gospel truth.  Like boxing or fencing JKDL is a step by step project in which each maneuver must be repeated many times.  Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water.  Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.  Put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.  Now water can flow, or surge or drip or crash.  Be water my friend.