Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Weaning myself off of the lottery

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 1 year ago by morgothaod.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
new jersey
United States
Member #150815
December 31, 2013
513 Posts
Posted: July 14, 2015, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

very   smart  thing to  do  im  70 being  hooked  for 50yrs  never  won  big,  i  wish  i  had  all  the  money  i  spent

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
    Member #154519
    April 19, 2014
    243 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2015, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I was playing the different types of lottery games and $1-20 scratchers.  The plan now was to play a lottery game with a 1 in 3 million odds of winning (Instead of the more difficult games).  I guess in the back of my mind; I believe that I need to win money to get out of the job that I dislike.  I'm not sure what my passion in life is, so I feel stuck in a retail job and I dislike what I majored in in college (It is also hard to find a job in the field because I have no experience doing it).

United States
      Member #154519
      April 19, 2014
      243 Posts
      Posted: August 8, 2015, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Been struggling with my rules, I ended up wasting $200 in 2 days on scratchers.  A new low point in my life...  I decided to punish myself by getting rid of my TV and internet service for the rest of the year.  I have to stop gambling.  Don't end up like me guys.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
        Member #164603
        March 8, 2015
        614 Posts
        Posted: August 8, 2015, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

Been struggling with my rules, I ended up wasting $200 in 2 days on scratchers.  A new low point in my life...  I decided to punish myself by getting rid of my TV and internet service for the rest of the year.  I have to stop gambling.  Don't end up like me guys.

I don't think punishment and self hatred will work for you.

If you are a problem gambler you might want to look into therapy and if that is not an option (because of cost) maybe join a self help group. Gamblers Anonymous?

collegem$'s avatar - ts
          Disney Land
          United States
          Member #92265
          June 3, 2010
          6873 Posts
          Posted: August 8, 2015, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Please read “The Power of Habit “for a book.

Listen to it audio, if you are not much on reading.

It could help.

Something has you triggered.

And it’s not the TV,cable or Internet fix or take away.

Punish is a strong word and strong word to use on yourself.

Wear cute pajamas to bed...because you never know who you will meet in your dreams.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4110 Posts
            Posted: August 8, 2015, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

People who have battled far worse have simply : Walked Away.  I know its easier said than done, but if you done with the TV & Internet,  you three quarters of the way there. I hope you get to the other side of your tunnel. All the best moving forward. Thumbs Up

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
              JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
              Member #141034
              April 2, 2013
              1409 Posts
              Posted: August 8, 2015, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I hear you. Life is full of ups and downs. The fun starts when you are down and pull yourself up by the boot straps. I hope you are not contemplating on doing something rash to yourself or to somebody else. If it gets unbearable, please dial 911 FOR HELP.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4797 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2015, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

God tests us all on occason. You just made a mistake that you can recover from. You did not sell your first born or commit murder.  Things do look better in the morning. Take a walk and get those endorphins going.

J'aime La France.

United States
                  Member #154519
                  April 19, 2014
                  243 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2015, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

I don't buy scratchers every day.  Maybe 1 or 2 times a month, I may decide to spend $20 on a ticket (Throughout the month, I'll probably spend $4 a week on number games).  Anyways, when I do spend $20 on a scratcher and lose, I'll decide to buy another ticket to make up for my loss.  Then I keep losing and within a few minutes, I may be down $60-100.  I'm getting rid of my services to make up for my losses.  So for September, October, November, and December, I'll save $360.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to use my free time (Time without distractions) wisely.  I really want to get out of the house more and become more sociable.  I'm also thinking about learning the harmonica and not having TV or internet would give me a lot of time to practice.  If I need to be online, I can still use my phone or go to the library.  Anyways, I'll see how long I can go.  I really want to make up the $200 that I lost and my ultimate goal is to make up all of the money that I have wasted on gambling.  Which means, I will need to be without TV or internet for 2 years!

United States
                    Member #154519
                    April 19, 2014
                    243 Posts
                    Posted: August 8, 2015, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

It's tempting to buy tickets when you work in a place that sells them.  I have decided to leave my debit card at home so I won't be tempted to withdraw money.