Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your stars finally align and you win, but...

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 1 year ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4106 Posts
Posted: July 18, 2015, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

You have been pooling your money with your bf/gf for years and you suddenly find out that you the sole winner of the $150mil MM jackpot. However there is a slight Problem : you two had a major falling out, she/he cleared their stuff out of the apartment, on the Monday, you won that very Friday.

Do you tell yourself " Well we were " close" before it hit the fan, l guess l could cut the ex a cheque for say $5 mil out of the goodness of my heart".. or do you wait for the other shoe to drop where she/he comes calling with a Lawyer? After all you reason "when you going out together whose thinking of drawing up a " contract"?  If the topic was broached at one time, you both said " hey, we trust each other ..right, love is in the air- contract be  D%^$@ ed".

This was a discussion with the Mrs & myself this morning and she said " l would want half- regardless." When l asked why Half since we terminated our relationship, she said " For the commitment of us being together. She said she was invested big-time in the relationship while it was healthy , and if l did not give half, it would show that l never took our relationship serious in the first place.. l frowned at that one- but your thoughts..

Half or a $5 mil cheque and Hasta la Vista Baby?

*** Definitely for Entertainment Purposes Only.- Have a Great Weekend People and Stay Healthy.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

south el monte
    United States
    Member #154982
    May 4, 2014
    64 Posts
    Posted: July 18, 2015, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

bf/gf means nothing. She doesn't deserve to get anything. I wouldn't give her a penny. You really think if she came up on a large sum of money she would be willing to give you half.  The world doesn't work like that.  I wouldn't even mention it at all if we had a falling out. Ill tell her bye and keep all my hypothetical money.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2015, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

You've been pooling your money, and probably promising each other half whenever you win.  She'd have a legal case that most lawyers would take.

Remember that case where 2 sisters had promised that if one won they'd share with the other?  I don't remember the details, but it seems like they had been estranged for quite some time when one sister won, and the other took her to court and got a big chunk.

I'd tell her and see if she's expecting some, and how much.  If she's still expecting half, I'd try to talk her down, but if she insists I'd probably give it to her just because she could make my life miserable for years if she decided to get a lawyer.  I have too much anxiety in my life already, but the option to fight her in court might work for someone else.

Half the cash value is 46 mil which after taxes is 25 mil after my state taxes too.  That's plenty to live a pretty luxurious life.  Yep, that's enough to make it worth removing any annoyances even if it means paying off the girlfriend.

south el monte
        United States
        Member #154982
        May 4, 2014
        64 Posts
        Posted: July 18, 2015, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

<snip> i missed the whole pooling your money together part of your post

. yes i would give half. Im a man of my word.  . 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4106 Posts
          Posted: July 18, 2015, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

You've been pooling your money, and probably promising each other half whenever you win.  She'd have a legal case that most lawyers would take.

Remember that case where 2 sisters had promised that if one won they'd share with the other?  I don't remember the details, but it seems like they had been estranged for quite some time when one sister won, and the other took her to court and got a big chunk.

I'd tell her and see if she's expecting some, and how much.  If she's still expecting half, I'd try to talk her down, but if she insists I'd probably give it to her just because she could make my life miserable for years if she decided to get a lawyer.  I have too much anxiety in my life already, but the option to fight her in court might work for someone else.

Half the cash value is 46 mil which after taxes is 25 mil after my state taxes too.  That's plenty to live a pretty luxurious life.  Yep, that's enough to make it worth removing any annoyances even if it means paying off the girlfriend.

l see your point HoLeekau, and as l mentioned, this was a discussion of " what if's " and playful banter as well.Women, well at least most women act out on emotion, and l figured the Mrs was thinking along those lines as well, she probably was thinking that if you had No problem going 50/50 when we were together, why would a falling out suddenly demote her to $5 mil?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: July 18, 2015, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

l see your point HoLeekau, and as l mentioned, this was a discussion of " what if's " and playful banter as well.Women, well at least most women act out on emotion, and l figured the Mrs was thinking along those lines as well, she probably was thinking that if you had No problem going 50/50 when we were together, why would a falling out suddenly demote her to $5 mil?

Your wife and I came to the same conclusion, but for different reasons.  I really don't understand the logic that it's because if you DON'T give her half then it negates your entire relationship. Sounds like emotional manipulation to me, but what do I know?  LOL

In my mind it's because the couple in your scenario almost certainly had a verbal contract, and the decent thing to do would be to honor that contract.  Not to mention, you could easily be taken to court and end up with the lawyers getting a big chunk of your winnings.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10350 Posts
              Posted: July 18, 2015, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Ouch! there would probably be a 'palimony' suit like Lee Marvin.

Ouch again!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                Happy California
                United States
                Member #157856
                August 2, 2014
                1513 Posts
                Posted: July 18, 2015, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Angry We need more women LP members here to contribute to this discussion. Sometimes women are hard to understand. 

Where are you ...That Scary Chick, zinniagirl, Jani Norman and others when we need you to post your thoughts ?

Rant

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19825 Posts
                  Posted: July 18, 2015, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

You have been pooling your money with your bf/gf for years and you suddenly find out that you the sole winner of the $150mil MM jackpot. However there is a slight Problem : you two had a major falling out, she/he cleared their stuff out of the apartment, on the Monday, you won that very Friday.

Do you tell yourself " Well we were " close" before it hit the fan, l guess l could cut the ex a cheque for say $5 mil out of the goodness of my heart".. or do you wait for the other shoe to drop where she/he comes calling with a Lawyer? After all you reason "when you going out together whose thinking of drawing up a " contract"?  If the topic was broached at one time, you both said " hey, we trust each other ..right, love is in the air- contract be  D%^$@ ed".

This was a discussion with the Mrs & myself this morning and she said " l would want half- regardless." When l asked why Half since we terminated our relationship, she said " For the commitment of us being together. She said she was invested big-time in the relationship while it was healthy , and if l did not give half, it would show that l never took our relationship serious in the first place.. l frowned at that one- but your thoughts..

Half or a $5 mil cheque and Hasta la Vista Baby?

*** Definitely for Entertainment Purposes Only.- Have a Great Weekend People and Stay Healthy.

Why should pooling your money for lottery tickets with a bf/gf be treated any different than pooling your money for lottery tickets with a co-worker, family member or any one else?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4106 Posts
                    Posted: July 18, 2015, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Why should pooling your money for lottery tickets with a bf/gf be treated any different than pooling your money for lottery tickets with a co-worker, family member or any one else?

.. because maybe, just maybe you two were looking to end up at the Altar, you two had a Relationship, you two were sleeping together. l seriously doubt you sleeping with family members or co-workers or anyone else.....in a manner of speaking RJ- your slip is showing.

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4106 Posts
                      Posted: July 18, 2015, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Angry We need more women LP members here to contribute to this discussion. Sometimes women are hard to understand. 

Where are you ...That Scary Chick, zinniagirl, Jani Norman and others when we need you to post your thoughts ?

Rant

Good Question Music. Lest the females forget- it is for " Entertainment Purposes- Only"Smile

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
                        NC
                        United States
                        Member #164399
                        February 28, 2015
                        1927 Posts
                        Posted: July 18, 2015, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

It would depend on whether they had "pooled" for the winning ticket....If not, then no....if yes, well, of course half would be theirs....I'm a woman....so that's my 2 cents...lol

"Don't waste time, it's the stuff life's made of..."

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4106 Posts
                          Posted: July 18, 2015, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

It would depend on whether they had "pooled" for the winning ticket....If not, then no....if yes, well, of course half would be theirs....I'm a woman....so that's my 2 cents...lol

Well Thank you for your two cents JAMORA, but would you " think" back to all the years that you did contribute toward the jackpot and " dreams for two" only to see yourself walk away from this windfall empty handed because of a blowout and say l want nothing to do with him/her or the money they have now inherited?

Imagine if you will: Some of your female friends saying " So Jamora, you broke up with .... and came away only with the clothes on your back, are you crazy girl?"

Can l get another two cents?

Candy-Lane's avatar - yocco

United States
                            Member #167255
                            July 2, 2015
                            102 Posts
                            Posted: July 18, 2015, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

If both contributed money towards the ticket that won, then yes I would voluntarily split the winnings 50/50. If not, then no. Why would I? Why would anyone? If he didn't contribute to the pool that won, then he had already quit the pool. He must have already decided to end the relationship and was making a clean sweep of things.  He would not be entitled to anything.

However, if married and he just left, it wouldn't matter if he contributed or not, he would still legally be entitled to half.  I would voluntarily split the winnings 50/50.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                              Member #165541
                              April 12, 2015
                              541 Posts
                              Posted: July 19, 2015, 12:14 am - IP Logged

Do you have a day job?

It does not seem that way.

Do you wake up thinking, "Boy I have a super Lottery scenario!" 

"Wait till the prostitutes and mafia hitmen hear this one!!!"