Welcome Guest
You last visited October 24, 2017, 7:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your stars finally align and you win, but...

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 2 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10537 Posts
Posted: July 19, 2015, 12:54 am - IP Logged

Let's face it, as has been seen in the NEWS forum on this board many times, this would come down to who gets the better lawyer.

There's been cases of long ago divorced spouses putting the bite on a jackpot winner and getting it on, despite the winner having more than enough $$$$ to hire a high powered lawyer.

There was even a case of the former spouse getting it all.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Chasing the Dream.
    Utopia- California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4604 Posts
    Posted: July 19, 2015, 12:54 am - IP Logged

Do you have a day job?

It does not seem that way.

Do you wake up thinking, "Boy I have a super Lottery scenario!" 

"Wait till the prostitutes and mafia hitmen hear this one!!!"

For someone whose been here less than 6 months-  you sure seem to have a long tail.

For someone who talks about Power Stars, Mega Stars or  Power Dwarf Mega Planets l would say you have more than enough confusion on your plate than worrying whether l have a day job* you do realise that its Saturday, don't you? l fail to see the connection between prostitutes & mafia Hitmen- unless you just woke up from a bad dream. Stay on your Meds.

Time to do something constructive, like cleaning your room & doing your laundry.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Chasing the Dream.
      Utopia- California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4604 Posts
      Posted: July 19, 2015, 1:10 am - IP Logged

Let's face it, as has been seen in the NEWS forum on this board many times, this would come down to who gets the better lawyer.

There's been cases of long ago divorced spouses putting the bite on a jackpot winner and getting it on, despite the winner having more than enough $$$$ to hire a high powered lawyer.

There was even a case of the former spouse getting it all.

Bang Head

I Agree!- l think there was a case of a couple in Germany a few years back where they had separated and either one won a jackpot and the other partner came calling for their share. The courts ruled that the party that did not have the winning ticket is entitled to a share of the prize since they had not divorced.. oh the horror. l was wondering what the outcome would be if... as l posted. The courts ruled against Lee Marvin's gf. l looked it up because that was way before my time. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10537 Posts
        Posted: July 19, 2015, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Do you have a day job?

It does not seem that way.

Do you wake up thinking, "Boy I have a super Lottery scenario!" 

"Wait till the prostitutes and mafia hitmen hear this one!!!"

SilverLion,

And what is it to you if noise-gate puts up questions that trigger discussions? Or do you have no grasp of a discussion board?

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

cbr$'s avatar - maren
          Cordova,Al.
          United States
          Member #104482
          January 15, 2011
          6701 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2015, 2:21 am - IP Logged

You give that bf/gf. Half. the winnings. So you fall out with each other, just give up half now, before a lawyer is needed. This statement of cut a check to the person for 5 million, is a insult a slap in the face. It is not out of the goodness of your heart. This is somebody asked the other person to turn the other cheek time, let me slap that one too. If we said, pool our money together we split 50/50. If we agree on that arrangement 50% is mind. It the two of you purchased your tickets for both the drawing in a week or multiple draws & one of you walk away from the relationship before all the draws were done & the ticket hit the jackpot. There other person still has a right to half the winnings. Give up the 50% like you agree to and stop the drama.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #165541
            April 12, 2015
            563 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2015, 2:53 am - IP Logged

You have been pooling your money with your bf/gf for years and you suddenly find out that you the sole winner of the $150mil MM jackpot. However there is a slight Problem : you two had a major falling out, she/he cleared their stuff out of the apartment, on the Monday, you won that very Friday.

Do you tell yourself " Well we were " close" before it hit the fan, l guess l could cut the ex a cheque for say $5 mil out of the goodness of my heart".. or do you wait for the other shoe to drop where she/he comes calling with a Lawyer? After all you reason "when you going out together whose thinking of drawing up a " contract"?  If the topic was broached at one time, you both said " hey, we trust each other ..right, love is in the air- contract be  D%^$@ ed".

This was a discussion with the Mrs & myself this morning and she said " l would want half- regardless." When l asked why Half since we terminated our relationship, she said " For the commitment of us being together. She said she was invested big-time in the relationship while it was healthy , and if l did not give half, it would show that l never took our relationship serious in the first place.. l frowned at that one- but your thoughts..

Half or a $5 mil cheque and Hasta la Vista Baby?

*** Definitely for Entertainment Purposes Only.- Have a Great Weekend People and Stay Healthy.

Its only entertainment. 

I dont know why its important if my starts align and I share my money with Kim Kardashian or Nicole Ricci.

I dont know, perhaps if I had a good lawyer I could decide. 

That reminds me.

Once when I was at the track, this chines guy says.  Oh bay do ra so fifty dollars exacta!!!!

So I say hmm, Can you repeat that?

He says Oh bay do ra so!!! 

And he beats his fist.

So I say sorry, next!

He says number three four exact!!! please fifty dolla!!

So i say ok.

When I give him his ticket he says.  Oh bay do ra so shi fu bu shika, I said three four two exact trifecta!  and he refuses to pay!!!

So I snatch the ticket from his hand as he stews. 

All Bets are finale goes over the loudspeaker!!!! 

He had some last word.  Oh gu ri shi pu foo!!! 

I gave the universal bird.

Wphew!!!

Horse ran four three that race.

At least I didnt work for free that day.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2652 Posts
              Posted: July 19, 2015, 4:31 am - IP Logged

You have been pooling your money with your bf/gf for years and you suddenly find out that you the sole winner of the $150mil MM jackpot. However there is a slight Problem : you two had a major falling out, she/he cleared their stuff out of the apartment, on the Monday, you won that very Friday.

Do you tell yourself " Well we were " close" before it hit the fan, l guess l could cut the ex a cheque for say $5 mil out of the goodness of my heart".. or do you wait for the other shoe to drop where she/he comes calling with a Lawyer? After all you reason "when you going out together whose thinking of drawing up a " contract"?  If the topic was broached at one time, you both said " hey, we trust each other ..right, love is in the air- contract be  D%^$@ ed".

This was a discussion with the Mrs & myself this morning and she said " l would want half- regardless." When l asked why Half since we terminated our relationship, she said " For the commitment of us being together. She said she was invested big-time in the relationship while it was healthy , and if l did not give half, it would show that l never took our relationship serious in the first place.. l frowned at that one- but your thoughts..

*** Definitely for Entertainment Purposes Only.- Have a Great Weekend People and Stay Healthy.

Premise:

1.  I have been pooling with b/f for years
              2.  I am sole winner of 150M$ j/p
              3.  However - prior to winning "we" became me & him with HIM leaving and clearing out ALL their stuff aka no more "us"

questions:

1.  When did I purchase the ticket?  was it before or after I was single?
              2.  When "we" pooled our funds for our tix - did we do it based upon being a "we" with all plans associated with "we-dom"?

If I bought the ticket AFTER my Mr. cleared out all his belongings and left me - breaking off our relationship... then I would call him and ask if he EVER saw us getting back together.  If yes, then I would split it 50/50.  If no, then I would give him a 5M$ check and say "Here's for the memories".

If I bought the ticket BEFORE my Mr. cleared out... he gets a 50/50 split.

Now if this were my HUSBAND - then he gets 50% - cuz we were still married when I won - regardless of when I purchased the tix, but of course - since I am of the "death do you part" variety - I would still end up with it all.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                67715 Posts
                Posted: July 19, 2015, 6:03 am - IP Logged

Simply put: The gf/bf gets half and this is why: Palimony is the division of financial assets and real property on the termination of a personal live-in relationship wherein the parties are not legally married.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Germany
                  Member #164603
                  March 8, 2015
                  803 Posts
                  Posted: July 19, 2015, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Yep, that's what happened. But the court also found he was scheming to cheat her out of a slice of the community property, he won when they were separated but not yet divorced and iirc waited to claim until after the divorce proceeding (which must have been a narrow window because claim period here is 13 weeks, yikes).

In your scenario you would be safe here because oral contracts are impossible to enforce and common law marriage doesn't really come to play.

But with the aggressive lawyers in the US and the way they freeze your winnings if any yokel says "we were in a group" I think you'd be better of splitting it. Or you'd spend years and millions of $ in litigation.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1339 Posts
                    Posted: July 19, 2015, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

Simply put: The gf/bf gets half and this is why: Palimony is the division of financial assets and real property on the termination of a personal live-in relationship wherein the parties are not legally married.

Uh, no. In the first place, palimony doesn't apply to every bf/gf live in relationship, even among the wealthy. Duration of the relationship and type of asset sharing during the relationship come into play. 

But as stated before, pretty much any one can make a claim on even tenuous connection and have the money frozen until the courts rule, so if things ended amicably, go ahead and share to avoid the headache.

But I'd love to know who thinks a recent ex would be entitled to anything if the windfall hadn't come from a lottery win. If 5 days after a break up your boss gave you a promotion with a huge signing bonus, or a long lost relative croaked and left you her estate, or if you went to Vegas to nurse your broken heart and won big, would anyone feel the ex should be given a cut in any of those situations? Why should anyone who is no longer in your life be given anything just because the money came from a lottery jackpot?

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                      JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                      Member #141034
                      April 2, 2013
                      1481 Posts
                      Posted: July 19, 2015, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

If you two have been living together all this time, and you have the balls to give her $5M out of $150M, rest assured that she will hand you your balls on a silver platter with relish. Scared

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: July 19, 2015, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Court: elderly sisters' gambling pact forces lottery jackpot split

8 comments

Powerball: Court: elderly sisters' gambling pact forces lottery jackpot split

The Connecticut Appeals Court has ruled a 1995 pact struck by two widowed sisters to split each other's future gambling winnings is still binding despite the fact they no longer speak to one another.

The decision paves the way for a public family feud pitting Theresa Sokaitis, 81, against Rose Bakaysa, 85, over a $500,000 Powerball jackpot Bakaysa hit on June 18, 2005, but doesn't want to share with her estranged sibling.

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/170056

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                          nc
                          United States
                          Member #99520
                          October 26, 2010
                          376 Posts
                          Posted: July 19, 2015, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Okay, here is this girls opinion:

1. If you dump me, regardless of whose money bought the ticket, i want my full share, espicially if it is our numbers that won.
                          2. if I dumped you, and the money used to purchase was all yours then it is your money, boohoo, may I have an allowance please?  If it was our money or our numbers by golly, half is mine!

share and share alike.

I would share simply to be do with it.  Half the prize and you out of my life for good, priceless!

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #92330
                            June 5, 2010
                            887 Posts
                            Posted: July 19, 2015, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

If the win was after the break-up, and didn't include any of the money that was pooled, I see no reason the other person would get anything. Just because you two dated and now you've won the lottery, they are just as entitled to a share of that money as that guy down the street you've never even talked to.

Now, if it was using funds you two pooled together, then they deserve half, no matter what the relationship status is.

I think the basic rule is that you don't discuss sharing lottery winnings with anyone unless you have something signed, especially if that person isn't your wife/husband. If I won Friday's draw, various people in my family would have received a share of the winnings, but none of them know that. If I were to win a rollover jackpot they would receive less of a share than they would with a huge jackpot, and if they only knew I'd share a good amount with them if I won a huge jackpot I know they would expect a similar share percentage with a smaller amount. I don't understand why people feel the need to tell everyone around them that if they win the lottery they'll share it with them. That's just setting yourself up for a lawsuit, no matter how close you are with friends, family, or current romance. I don't know if people feel like it's just talk so it doesn't matter, but that simple statement has been used numerous times to give people a share of the winnings.

I guess if you MUST tell your family members you'd share with them, write up a contract with something along the lines of; I, _____, as the sole purchaser of my lottery tickets, agree to share a portion of the winnings with the following: ______  That way, you make it clear that you didn't pool your winnings with others and you are only agreeing to share "a portion", meaning it could something as simple as $1,000.

Just prevent the headaches you might have and either sign a contract, or don't agree to share winnings.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3329 Posts
                              Posted: July 20, 2015, 6:29 am - IP Logged

you -are talking less than a week , id give half and be happy we won. and so long i got a life and a load of cash. no needs for drama half the jackpot suits me. now 6 months later, id be feeling a little different.

" Still swinging, still missing "
                              2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596: JAN= -

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318: JAN= -39