Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

basic program

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 1 year ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
il
United States
Member #168265
August 23, 2015
3 Posts
Posted: August 23, 2015, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

New here

want to know if there are any basic programmers out there willing to help create a random number generator for pick 3 lottery game

I am a amateur programmer in basic and have developed a program that generates random numbers  I then take those numbers and use excel to further

consolidate those numbers my outcome is good but the odds are still not in my favor

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19813 Posts
    Posted: August 24, 2015, 8:53 am - IP Logged

Why would you want to redo what has already been done?  LP has a RNG for every game already.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

itpmguru's avatar - 42a4d4d8f2a4312fb8e253dd8f6ef251
      No Man's Land
      United States
      Member #164139
      February 19, 2015
      5460 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2015, 8:56 am - IP Logged

New here

want to know if there are any basic programmers out there willing to help create a random number generator for pick 3 lottery game

I am a amateur programmer in basic and have developed a program that generates random numbers  I then take those numbers and use excel to further

consolidate those numbers my outcome is good but the odds are still not in my favor

Welcome to LP.  There are MANY great tools on here that are very useful.  Here is the link to the QP generator:  https://www.lotterypost.com/quickpicks

Best of luck!

I won't get mad......I won't get even and NCEL will pay my bills :-)  - ITP
      "He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." - Muhammad Ali

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
        Dallas, Texas
        United States
        Member #4549
        May 2, 2004
        1655 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2015, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

New here

You could download one if you want to use it offline. There are tons of free random number generators.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

il
          United States
          Member #168265
          August 23, 2015
          3 Posts
          Posted: August 30, 2015, 7:52 am - IP Logged

but do they compare the outcomes for someone to track how many time that random set of numbers were generated if so can you post a link

anyone can generate random numbers but comparing them is the key in my opinion

il
            United States
            Member #168265
            August 23, 2015
            3 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2015, 7:55 am - IP Logged

all i have seen were number generators need to go to the next step and compare those numbers generated then find the pattern

i don't want to generate  50 numbers i want lets say 5000 numbers

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
              Economy class
              Belgium
              Member #123700
              February 27, 2012
              4035 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2015, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

There is a random function in Excel, why do you make life so complicated?

Dallas, Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                1655 Posts
                Posted: August 31, 2015, 12:03 am - IP Logged

all i have seen were number generators need to go to the next step and compare those numbers generated then find the pattern

i don't want to generate  50 numbers i want lets say 5000 numbers

Nothing hard about what you are wanting to do. jimmy4164 posted a pick3 program a few years back to do something like that.

I can think of a couple of ways to do it.

One would be generating a random list and then compare it to your draw results. Don't know what game your talking about, but since 1988 Illinois Cash5 has about 7000 draws.

So you could write a program that compares the random generated list with the draw results which spits out either the matches or the misses. Or have it written to third file. Not hard at all.

The second way, and the way I would do it is write the file to generate one random number and immediately check it, write it to a file denoting hit or miss. Then loop the program to generate and check the next set. And so on until the required number is reached.

Which is faster? Don't know without doing it. And depending on the amount of data you are checking, neither will be blink of eye fast.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19813 Posts
                  Posted: August 31, 2015, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

There is a random function in Excel, why do you make life so complicated?

He's a programmer not an Excel expert.

Evil Looking       

Economy class
                    Belgium
                    Member #123700
                    February 27, 2012
                    4035 Posts
                    Posted: August 31, 2015, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

Example

Copy the example data in the following table, and paste it in cell A1 of a new Excel worksheet. For formulas to show results, select them, press F2, and then press Enter. If you need to, you can adjust the column widths to see all the data.

Formula

Description

Result

=RAND()

A random number greater than or equal to 0 and less than 1 (varies)

varies

=RAND()*100

A random number greater than or equal to 0 but less than 100 (varies)

varies

Note: When a worksheet is recalculated by entering a formula or data in a different cell, or by manually recalculating (press F9), a new random number is generated for any formula that uses the RAND function.

Economy class
                      Belgium
                      Member #123700
                      February 27, 2012
                      4035 Posts
                      Posted: August 31, 2015, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

You can technically add a random value to the random result, but I think that you should not.

Dallas, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #4549
                        May 2, 2004
                        1655 Posts
                        Posted: August 31, 2015, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Example

Copy the example data in the following table, and paste it in cell A1 of a new Excel worksheet. For formulas to show results, select them, press F2, and then press Enter. If you need to, you can adjust the column widths to see all the data.

Formula

Description

Result

=RAND()

A random number greater than or equal to 0 and less than 1 (varies)

varies

=RAND()*100

A random number greater than or equal to 0 but less than 100 (varies)

varies

Note: When a worksheet is recalculated by entering a formula or data in a different cell, or by manually recalculating (press F9), a new random number is generated for any formula that uses the RAND function.

I use Excel.  But not for stuff like this. If everybody threw away their code and started using Excel, there wouldn't be any new ideas. Everything would be rote routine, nothing new.

Programming requires logic and thought. Excel requires "stick this here and fill in the blank." No thought in that. Truth be told the programmers add a lot of ideas and methods to Excel. So no, he should finish the program.

He's not that far from having it complete. And even if he chooses not to share it is an accomplishment he can take pride in.

So he already has a random number generator. The next decision is:

1) write my numbers to a file, or 2) open my draw result file and check it against the history?

I still like option two. And giving it some thought, it would be faster. By writing the random numbers to a file, and then comparing two files, you have to write a COMP program. Then the COMP program would write a third file with the hit or misses. Essentially you have one program to write the random number file, a second program to compare the random numbers to the draw file which in turn writes a result file.

That's two programs and three files (random number generated numbers, Draw results, hit/miss file).

Writing the random number generator and the comparator together, you generate the number, check the number against the draw file and write the hit or miss to a result file.

One program, two files (Draw results, hit miss file).

There is no benefit in doing any of this in Excel.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19813 Posts
                          Posted: September 1, 2015, 11:39 am - IP Logged

I use Excel.  But not for stuff like this. If everybody threw away their code and started using Excel, there wouldn't be any new ideas. Everything would be rote routine, nothing new.

Programming requires logic and thought. Excel requires "stick this here and fill in the blank." No thought in that. Truth be told the programmers add a lot of ideas and methods to Excel. So no, he should finish the program.

He's not that far from having it complete. And even if he chooses not to share it is an accomplishment he can take pride in.

So he already has a random number generator. The next decision is:

1) write my numbers to a file, or 2) open my draw result file and check it against the history?

I still like option two. And giving it some thought, it would be faster. By writing the random numbers to a file, and then comparing two files, you have to write a COMP program. Then the COMP program would write a third file with the hit or misses. Essentially you have one program to write the random number file, a second program to compare the random numbers to the draw file which in turn writes a result file.

That's two programs and three files (random number generated numbers, Draw results, hit/miss file).

Writing the random number generator and the comparator together, you generate the number, check the number against the draw file and write the hit or miss to a result file.

One program, two files (Draw results, hit miss file).

There is no benefit in doing any of this in Excel.

If he is a programmer and has written his own lottery software a routine to compare a play file with a historical data file was probably one of the first routine he included in his program.  Any decent lottery software you buy probably includes that routine.

Evil Looking       

Dallas, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #4549
                            May 2, 2004
                            1655 Posts
                            Posted: September 1, 2015, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

If he is a programmer and has written his own lottery software a routine to compare a play file with a historical data file was probably one of the first routine he included in his program.  Any decent lottery software you buy probably includes that routine.

Don't know. Maybe its homework?

Maybe he wants to add his own wrinkle?

Maybe the answer is, "post what you have and we'll see what we can do to help" like a programming site.

I don't know the answer. All I know is he wrote a random number generator and now wants to compare the generated numbers to the historical data.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19813 Posts
                              Posted: September 1, 2015, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

Don't know. Maybe its homework?

Maybe he wants to add his own wrinkle?

Maybe the answer is, "post what you have and we'll see what we can do to help" like a programming site.

I don't know the answer. All I know is he wrote a random number generator and now wants to compare the generated numbers to the historical data.

"Maybe the answer is, "post what you have and we'll see what we can do to help" like a programming site."

Most poster don't mind sharing their ideas but when it comes to sharing what they have, that's different.  Either they have nothing they consider worth sharing or what they have includes information they would rather keep to themselves until they had time to develop it.

Evil Looking