Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are there people unaware of the megaplier and power play option on MM and PB?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 1 year ago by SilverLion.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2015, 8:38 am - IP Logged

I was checking my states lottery site the other day and noticed a guy who won 2nd place in Powerball and since he won 1 million minus taxes he did not spend the extra dollar to play with the Powerplay option. A big congrats to that guy but it made me wonder how many people don't know that by spending the extra dollar on PB he would have doubled his winnings to 2 million minus taxes. The same goes for MM and with MM you really win so much more for a second place win. Now some people may just not want to spend the extra dollar since they just play for the jackpot, on the other hand there still may be people who are just unaware of what spending the extra dollar gets them. I have family and friends who had no clue about what the Megaplier or Powerplay option was and now they play that way.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19902 Posts
    Posted: August 24, 2015, 8:48 am - IP Logged

I doubt it if the clerks are like the ones where I buy my tickets.  I make out play slips for every game just the way I want to play and in spite of that the clerks always ask if I want the power play or the magaplier when I play PB or MM and the kicker when I play the local Classic Lotto.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2015, 8:52 am - IP Logged

I doubt it if the clerks are like the ones where I buy my tickets.  I make out play slips for every game just the way I want to play and in spite of that the clerks always ask if I want the power play or the magaplier when I play PB or MM and the kicker when I play the local Classic Lotto.

I'm surprised that they would ask you that, especially if the same clerks see you regularly. I use to have a problem with a clerk at the gas station I go to who never understood how to give me a ticket with the Powerplay or Megaplier option and that was frustrating.

colonial Beach, va
        United States
        Member #168020
        August 12, 2015
        26 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2015, 9:18 am - IP Logged

They ask you every time due to the way the lottery machine is set up. When you run the card it pops the question on the screen and they can not proceed until they answer it. The clerk is not trying to be a pain...it's the way the system is set up. Lottery will take every dollar you will give.

It is what it is.....some times it's just luck.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
          JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
          Member #141034
          April 2, 2013
          1419 Posts
          Posted: August 24, 2015, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Some players just do not want to spend that extra dollar for the mplier or the pplay. They argue that they are better off purchasing an extra line/play with that dollar.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1732 Posts
            Posted: August 24, 2015, 10:09 am - IP Logged

I agree, some people do not want to spend the extra dollar on one line of numbers, that includes me.  I would rather buy more lines of numbers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: August 24, 2015, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Are there people unaware of the megaplier and power play option on MM and PB?

Yes. There are a lot of clueless people out there. They don't wanna be bothered to learn. And those are the people that seem to win Angry

That money's gone fo ever

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #129225
                June 13, 2012
                546 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2015, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

I am very much aware of the option and what it is but I NEVER play that option.  I simply feel it is a "sucker" bet and would rather use the extra dollar on additional tickets.  I only play for the jackpot I don't care about the secondary tiers.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2015, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I always play the Megaplier.....you're much more likely to hit 5 + 0 than 5 + 1.

The MM megaplier is 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'd hate to think of losing out on another 2, 3, 4, of 5 million for the sake of one dollar.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: August 24, 2015, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

^

Ooops....I meant another 2, 3, or 4 million, it wouldn't be another 5 million but 5 M total if the Megaplier was 5.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5765 Posts
                      Posted: August 24, 2015, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

When I played only one line on MM I always played the megaplier. Like CT said, the odds are just so much better hitting 5+0 than the jackpot, and 5 million works real well. Recently I've been playing 15 lines with all 15 megaballs, so playing the megaplier is too much money. Just felt like changing it up for a while. I almost never play powerplay on PB. I will for a draw or two, and then drop it. If it paid up to 5 million like MM I would always play it.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3095 Posts
                        Posted: August 24, 2015, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

September is my birth month so I will be adding the megaplier to mega millions and powerplay to powerball and kicker to megabucks because I like winning the most money available to me on my ticket.  It only costs me $80 to play all of september bye buying trio on tuesday and thursday at big apple market and then on monday just my $1 megabucks plus kicker for $2.  So $16 a week not even $20 for entertainment because trio is $7 a draw and I do not drink or smoke or do drugs.  I hardly go out to the movies or eat out anymore only once a month to a local restaurant.-weshar75

US Flag

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
                          NC
                          United States
                          Member #164399
                          February 28, 2015
                          2020 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2015, 1:52 am - IP Logged

I'd rather have one more line for the jackpot, than a chance to multply a smaller prize...IMO

"Don't waste time, it's the stuff life's made of..."

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7344 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2015, 2:00 am - IP Logged

I was checking my states lottery site the other day and noticed a guy who won 2nd place in Powerball and since he won 1 million minus taxes he did not spend the extra dollar to play with the Powerplay option. A big congrats to that guy but it made me wonder how many people don't know that by spending the extra dollar on PB he would have doubled his winnings to 2 million minus taxes. The same goes for MM and with MM you really win so much more for a second place win. Now some people may just not want to spend the extra dollar since they just play for the jackpot, on the other hand there still may be people who are just unaware of what spending the extra dollar gets them. I have family and friends who had no clue about what the Megaplier or Powerplay option was and now they play that way.

It's more likely most of the players are aware but know that 96.86% of all PB tickets and 93.21% of all MM tickets win nothing.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7344 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2015, 2:09 am - IP Logged

When I played only one line on MM I always played the megaplier. Like CT said, the odds are just so much better hitting 5+0 than the jackpot, and 5 million works real well. Recently I've been playing 15 lines with all 15 megaballs, so playing the megaplier is too much money. Just felt like changing it up for a while. I almost never play powerplay on PB. I will for a draw or two, and then drop it. If it paid up to 5 million like MM I would always play it.

"Like CT said, the odds are just so much better hitting 5+0 than the jackpot, and 5 million works real well."

LOL @ 18,492,204 to 1 odds being "so much better".