Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are there people unaware of the megaplier and power play option on MM and PB?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 1 year ago by SilverLion.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
Texas
United States
Member #55889
October 23, 2007
5767 Posts
Posted: August 25, 2015, 8:53 am - IP Logged

"Like CT said, the odds are just so much better hitting 5+0 than the jackpot, and 5 million works real well."

LOL @ 18,492,204 to 1 odds being "so much better".

Here's a little test. No cheating.

Take your time. Think real hard. Here's the question......

Which number is smaller?

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

cbr$'s avatar - maren
    Cordova,Al.
    United States
    Member #104482
    January 15, 2011
    5462 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2015, 10:51 am - IP Logged

I was checking my states lottery site the other day and noticed a guy who won 2nd place in Powerball and since he won 1 million minus taxes he did not spend the extra dollar to play with the Powerplay option. A big congrats to that guy but it made me wonder how many people don't know that by spending the extra dollar on PB he would have doubled his winnings to 2 million minus taxes. The same goes for MM and with MM you really win so much more for a second place win. Now some people may just not want to spend the extra dollar since they just play for the jackpot, on the other hand there still may be people who are just unaware of what spending the extra dollar gets them. I have family and friends who had no clue about what the Megaplier or Powerplay option was and now they play that way.

Some people just don't care about this option. Since I believe in enjoy all my lottery games to the fullest. I make it worth it and play the extra dollar on both games.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2015, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

I doubt it if the clerks are like the ones where I buy my tickets.  I make out play slips for every game just the way I want to play and in spite of that the clerks always ask if I want the power play or the magaplier when I play PB or MM and the kicker when I play the local Classic Lotto.

Mine do that as well but I assume it's just out of habit.

As for why people don't pick the option, some don't know about it and many more just don't want to spend an extra $1 (or if they do, they would rather play an extra line).

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7344 Posts
        Posted: August 25, 2015, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Here's a little test. No cheating.

Take your time. Think real hard. Here's the question......

Which number is smaller?

Congratulations, you finally figured out the almost 259 million to 1 odds against winning a MM Jackpot much higher than the odds against matching five numbers!!!

A much better comparison of game odds is comparing the Lotto Texas $16.3 million cash value jackpot to the odds of matching five numbers to win $1 million. Granted the almost 26 million to 1 is 43% higher than the 18.5 million to 1, but the prize is over 16 times more.

Personally if I was looking for better odds for $1 bet, I'd play Ohio Classic Lotto, get slightly under 14 million to 1 odds, and play for a $4.85 million jackpot. The 5,153,633 to 1 PB odds against matching five numbers is better odds than what you said "are just so much better" and PB tickets are $2. Currently there are 12 state Lotto games paying more than 2 million.

While the Megaplier and Powerplay options give players better payoffs, the odds against winning those prizes stay the same.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
          Texas Panhandle
          United States
          Member #136843
          December 20, 2012
          1409 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2015, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Some people just don't care about this option. Since I believe in enjoy all my lottery games to the fullest. I make it worth it and play the extra dollar on both games.

I play the multipliers on all the games I play, too.  I'd be thrilled to win a million bucks on 5 of 5 on MM, but would be sick about leaving four million on the table b/c I hadn't played the extra dollar.  The Texas Lotto has an "Extra" option and a couple of weeks ago I got 3 numbers and  won $13 instead of $3 b/c I paid a buck for the Extra.  I got two numbers right on Saturday's drawing and won $2...but the ticket cost two bucks, so.....A tie is better than a loss, huh?  Several times I have won $5 on MM instead of just a dollar f/ getting the Mega ball.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5767 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2015, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations, you finally figured out the almost 259 million to 1 odds against winning a MM Jackpot much higher than the odds against matching five numbers!!!

A much better comparison of game odds is comparing the Lotto Texas $16.3 million cash value jackpot to the odds of matching five numbers to win $1 million. Granted the almost 26 million to 1 is 43% higher than the 18.5 million to 1, but the prize is over 16 times more.

Personally if I was looking for better odds for $1 bet, I'd play Ohio Classic Lotto, get slightly under 14 million to 1 odds, and play for a $4.85 million jackpot. The 5,153,633 to 1 PB odds against matching five numbers is better odds than what you said "are just so much better" and PB tickets are $2. Currently there are 12 state Lotto games paying more than 2 million.

While the Megaplier and Powerplay options give players better payoffs, the odds against winning those prizes stay the same.

Yeah dude I had it figured out before you even thought about it. As for Lotto, I play it too. And right now it's a good jackpot. But I can retire on 5 million as well as 16 million. Even 1 million sets me up by paying off the rest of my debt and mortgage. 

So, I'm already ahead of you on how it works. Now run along and find a nest of yellow jackets and play with 'em.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19903 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2015, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

I was checking my states lottery site the other day and noticed a guy who won 2nd place in Powerball and since he won 1 million minus taxes he did not spend the extra dollar to play with the Powerplay option. A big congrats to that guy but it made me wonder how many people don't know that by spending the extra dollar on PB he would have doubled his winnings to 2 million minus taxes. The same goes for MM and with MM you really win so much more for a second place win. Now some people may just not want to spend the extra dollar since they just play for the jackpot, on the other hand there still may be people who are just unaware of what spending the extra dollar gets them. I have family and friends who had no clue about what the Megaplier or Powerplay option was and now they play that way.

I too wonder if some players are aware that some players play more than one line.  So many of them speak of an extra dollar like it covers all their plays but for players who play 10-20 lines an extra dollars doesn't cover much and 10-20 extra dollars every time they play is expensive.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3502 Posts
                Posted: August 26, 2015, 1:39 am - IP Logged

You're wondering if some people who play the lottery might be uninformed? Even some of the people who don't play the lottery are uninformed.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7344 Posts
                  Posted: August 26, 2015, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Yeah dude I had it figured out before you even thought about it. As for Lotto, I play it too. And right now it's a good jackpot. But I can retire on 5 million as well as 16 million. Even 1 million sets me up by paying off the rest of my debt and mortgage. 

So, I'm already ahead of you on how it works. Now run along and find a nest of yellow jackets and play with 'em.

You're missing the humor in stating the obvious, "the odds are just so much better hitting 5+0 than the jackpot" as if it's the "holy grail" of lottery knowledge. The only real difference between matching five numbers, winning $1 million and winning the jackpot is the latter matched the correct bonus number out of 15.

I went to the more realistic and conventional retirement planning route, but I suppose if matching five MM numbers is your route, using the Megaplier option is the better way to go.

"So, I'm already ahead of you on how it works."

Have you actually won a jackpot or are just one those day dreamers?

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #165541
                    April 12, 2015
                    554 Posts
                    Posted: August 26, 2015, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Are there people unaware of the megaplier and power play option on MM and PB?

Yes. There are a lot of clueless people out there. They don't wanna be bothered to learn. And those are the people that seem to win Angry

Are those the same clueless people who vote for neo-cons?

I might have to vote for Trump.  He might be the best Democratic Republican there is.

JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                      North Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #53121
                      June 24, 2007
                      6521 Posts
                      Posted: August 26, 2015, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Some players just do not want to spend that extra dollar for the mplier or the pplay. They argue that they are better off purchasing an extra line/play with that dollar.

great answer...

what if he only bought 2 lines...

and he won on the second line...

if he only powerplayed the 1st line, then he would have not won anything...

i like more chance to win, unless you only have 1 line

then maybe he wasn't ( is now ) a rich man who is on a budget

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                        Member #165541
                        April 12, 2015
                        554 Posts
                        Posted: August 26, 2015, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I am sure many people are not aware.  I have only become aware due to people posting on LP, and I dont really want to waste extra money on "tonites" pipe dream.  I would rather save that dollar for next Saturday.  As for people who win a million dollars but are still bitter and angry because they didn't double down?, they should revisit a thread created by JJ the Prince, about angry losers.

No offense Shyguitar, but you sound like an angry loser!!!  I could be wrong.

After all, sometimes its hard to plunk an extra dollar an another lottery ticket, when there are so many tasty bags of chips around.