Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Real Reason Why The Powerball Lottery Game Jackpot Will Be Impossible To Win At Odds Of 1:292M

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 1 year ago by SkyLine69.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19825 Posts
Posted: September 15, 2015, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Just eliminating numbers 70-75 from your play in MM reduces the combinations from 258,890,850 to 168,577,695, wiping 90,313,155 combinations off the table.

Of course, if a number in the 70's is drawn, well, better luck next time.

Just as effective or maybe more is eliminating numbers from position in sorted combinations.  My experiences with Ohio's Classic Lotto(6/49) have reduced the number of combinations from 14M to 7M using all 49 numbers and still having the winning combination 90% of the time.  That's like playing a 6/44 game which reduces the chances of matching 3/6 from 1:57  to 1:42 which isn't very helpful since 3/6 only pays $2.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7302 Posts
    Posted: September 15, 2015, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

"How many tickets should we buy to expect a realistic chance of winning the jackpot in either game?"

That's an interesting question and it's probably not 259M for MM or 175M for PB but still more than a single person or group could afford.  Maybe a better question would be "How many tickets should we buy to expect a realistic chance of winning the second prizes of a million dollars in either game?", that might an amount a small group of investors could afford.

Having said that the next question would be "How does one go about eliminating some of the 240M MM or 179M PB combinations that win nothing each drawing.  Knowing the answer to that question would be helpful even if you only brought 5-10 tickets per drawing.

After eliminating 7 MM bonus numbers there are still 138,075,120 combos so I'm not sure there is a realistic number of combos to play. I did some experimenting when we were discussing a 28 number wheel and got it down to about 5000 combos using a 4 if 4 wheel, but was necessary to use the Megaplier to make the play realistic. And spending $10,000 a drawing on MM may not be realistic to very many players.

On paper, keying three numbers playing a 5/39 might eventually catch a jackpot, but the investment depends on matching the three numbers more than average and of course timing. I started predicting two All or Nothing games to test a couple of wheels and while I'm averaging more than average hits, I'm not getting enough quality hits. To win a jackpot, I'll probably need 1.35 million picks, but I only made about 10%.

As for realistic chances of winning that top prize, six combos are as good as 20, but for winning something, probably 40 combos.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: September 15, 2015, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

After eliminating 7 MM bonus numbers there are still 138,075,120 combos so I'm not sure there is a realistic number of combos to play. I did some experimenting when we were discussing a 28 number wheel and got it down to about 5000 combos using a 4 if 4 wheel, but was necessary to use the Megaplier to make the play realistic. And spending $10,000 a drawing on MM may not be realistic to very many players.

On paper, keying three numbers playing a 5/39 might eventually catch a jackpot, but the investment depends on matching the three numbers more than average and of course timing. I started predicting two All or Nothing games to test a couple of wheels and while I'm averaging more than average hits, I'm not getting enough quality hits. To win a jackpot, I'll probably need 1.35 million picks, but I only made about 10%.

As for realistic chances of winning that top prize, six combos are as good as 20, but for winning something, probably 40 combos.

"And spending $10,000 a drawing on MM may not be realistic to very many players."

From many of the posts at LP I'm beginning to think many players think spending even $10 on a MM drawing is not realistic regardless of the jackpot amount.  Many of them whine about the time they brought a MM ticket and won nothing and losing their dollar.

Evil Looking       

auckland
        New Zealand
        Member #168400
        August 29, 2015
        3 Posts
        Posted: September 15, 2015, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

Power ball is just a gimmick just to get more money from players.

You will win more prizes not playing power ball and its cheaper.

Cheers

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: September 15, 2015, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Power ball is just a gimmick just to get more money from players.

You will win more prizes not playing power ball and its cheaper.

Cheers

"You will win more prizes not playing power ball and its cheaper."

Which games are you suggesting to play instead?  Or are you saying don't play lottery games at all?  And if you're not playing any games where are these prizes  you expect to win coming from?

"You definitely can't win if you're not playing"

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: September 16, 2015, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

"As for realistic chances of winning that top prize, six combos are as good as 20, but for winning something, probably 40 combos."

That might be true as I've followed premium members who posted 50 lines for 6/49 or similar games and won nothing.  Perhaps they didn't have a strategy other than just playing 50 randomly picked lines.

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7302 Posts
              Posted: September 16, 2015, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

"As for realistic chances of winning that top prize, six combos are as good as 20, but for winning something, probably 40 combos."

That might be true as I've followed premium members who posted 50 lines for 6/49 or similar games and won nothing.  Perhaps they didn't have a strategy other than just playing 50 randomly picked lines.

The odds of winning something in CL is 1 in 57 so there is no guarantee even with 50 predictions. All or Nothing is 1 in 4.5 and six combos should produce at least on hit. The problem is that one hit will probably be the price of the ticket.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19825 Posts
                Posted: September 16, 2015, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

The odds of winning something in CL is 1 in 57 so there is no guarantee even with 50 predictions. All or Nothing is 1 in 4.5 and six combos should produce at least on hit. The problem is that one hit will probably be the price of the ticket.

I know but I've seen them go quite a few draws with no hits making me wonder if their overall average is worst than the calculated one.   I've seen the same thing with Rolling Cash5 but I think that's because only match3 and higher are counted, the match2 $1 wins are ignored.

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #55889
                  October 23, 2007
                  5592 Posts
                  Posted: September 16, 2015, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

I know but I've seen them go quite a few draws with no hits making me wonder if their overall average is worst than the calculated one.   I've seen the same thing with Rolling Cash5 but I think that's because only match3 and higher are counted, the match2 $1 wins are ignored.

I usually play one draw a day (sometimes more) and trust me, it is very possible to go several draws without even a $2 win, despite what the overall odds are. This month I'm doing pretty good. I've played $40, and won back $48.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7302 Posts
                    Posted: September 16, 2015, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

I stopped predicting RC5 because the $1 wins didn't count, but I can understand why it's setup that way; to level the playing field because some states pay with a free ticket.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19825 Posts
                      Posted: September 17, 2015, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I stopped predicting RC5 because the $1 wins didn't count, but I can understand why it's setup that way; to level the playing field because some states pay with a free ticket.

Ever since I matched 5/6 in OCL my prediction stats have been going down.  I occasionally get a few picks for Georgia and Texas AON games from the LP RNG to post just to keep my overall monthly stats looking decent.

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5118 Posts
                        Posted: September 17, 2015, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

Puke     You shulda>woulda>coulda> won $185 million PowerBall jackpot on 9-16-15 but,U didn't !!!

NOW:

U got $208 million for 9-19-15

Party

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: September 17, 2015, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Puke     You shulda>woulda>coulda> won $185 million PowerBall jackpot on 9-16-15 but,U didn't !!!

NOW:

U got $208 million for 9-19-15

Party

I shuldan't>wouldan't>couldan't> won $185 million PowerBall jackpot on 9-16-15 'cause I didn't play!!!

But I may play this Saturday!!!Wink

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19825 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2015, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

"All or Nothing is 1 in 4.5 and six combos should produce at least on hit. The problem is that one hit will probably be the price of the ticket."

There aren't many games that have odds of 1:4.5 of winning the price of their ticket, I would like to see more games like that rather than pushing large jackpots.  Rolling Cash5 with overall odds of 1:9 of winning a dollar is the only thing close to that in this area.  I think if Classic Lotto paid even $5 for a match3, it would be a more popular game ranking it with PB and MM in popularity.

Evil Looking       

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                              Member #142777
                              May 18, 2013
                              263 Posts
                              Posted: September 18, 2015, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

The first single ticket billion dollar powerball winner should wear a hat to their press conference that says "make america great again" and say:

"Before i open it up to questions i just want to say......and i don't mean to brag but......im very very rich!"   

"Now.....any questions?"Big Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!