Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 11:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why does it have to be so impossible to win the lottery?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2015, 7:43 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

i have been coming to this site for a long time and appreciate all of Todd's hard work in creating a site like this and how hard it must be to maintain this site daily.  Why does the lottery need to continue to change the matrix on games like MM and soon PB? It was already impossible to win the jackpot and even impossible to win the second prize. Before the matrix change I played MM more but having to get 5 numbers out of 75 numbers makes it truly impossible to get a second place prize. I never really expected to hit the main jackpot and was always striving for the 2nd place prize on MM and PB but making the game impossible for myself and everyone else just seems so unfair. The lottery is all about keeping revenues and not about being fair to players. Realize no one is making us play but why can't the odds be better for more people to have a chance to win the 2nd prize on PB and MM. It's not just draw games but scratchers too. Even though I've stayed on budget, the times through the years that I played scratchers, the most I won was 200 dollars on a ticket. More losers than winners and even a win would most likely just be the price I paid for that ticket. Would it really hurt the lottery if they were more fair to it's players? The lottery has revenues in the billions and more people might play if the odds of winning were better so it would still be a win for lotteries. Will continue to play but my realism is back to the forefront and I can play for the rest of my life and most likely never win more than a few hundred dollars.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2015, 8:28 am - IP Logged

Your question should be "why do people like to play games they think are impossible to win" when there are plenty of local games with better odds and smaller prizes. 

States join MM and PB because they know their large jackpots will attract players and hope those players will also play the local games.  If MM and PB were easier to win then they couldn't generate those large jackpots and without large jackpots there would be no reason for them to exist.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5761 Posts
      Posted: September 27, 2015, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

i have been coming to this site for a long time and appreciate all of Todd's hard work in creating a site like this and how hard it must be to maintain this site daily.  Why does the lottery need to continue to change the matrix on games like MM and soon PB? It was already impossible to win the jackpot and even impossible to win the second prize. Before the matrix change I played MM more but having to get 5 numbers out of 75 numbers makes it truly impossible to get a second place prize. I never really expected to hit the main jackpot and was always striving for the 2nd place prize on MM and PB but making the game impossible for myself and everyone else just seems so unfair. The lottery is all about keeping revenues and not about being fair to players. Realize no one is making us play but why can't the odds be better for more people to have a chance to win the 2nd prize on PB and MM. It's not just draw games but scratchers too. Even though I've stayed on budget, the times through the years that I played scratchers, the most I won was 200 dollars on a ticket. More losers than winners and even a win would most likely just be the price I paid for that ticket. Would it really hurt the lottery if they were more fair to it's players? The lottery has revenues in the billions and more people might play if the odds of winning were better so it would still be a win for lotteries. Will continue to play but my realism is back to the forefront and I can play for the rest of my life and most likely never win more than a few hundred dollars.

There's plenty of games to play that are easier to win. The jackpots or payouts may not be millions, but if you want millions, then naturally it's going to be harder to win.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #77167
        July 15, 2009
        569 Posts
        Posted: September 27, 2015, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Your question should be "why do people like to play games they think are impossible to win" when there are plenty of local games with better odds and smaller prizes. 

I Agree!

United States
          Member #35335
          March 16, 2006
          116 Posts
          Posted: September 27, 2015, 10:29 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Excitement at 9 digit jackpots has faded.

The daily pick 3 typically pays 500 on odds of 1:1000 (000-999).  Depends on where you play, legal or otherwise I suppose.  We all know this and it's awesome odds if you ask me.  Theoretically, over time you can only win back half of what you play.  Whoops, forgot taxes.  Yikes.  I'm not going to make a living or retire playing the daily.  It's like a Toyota, in that it's common, dependable and predictable.  I'm not saying predictable in what the numbers will be, but predictable-ish in the payout.  Cold and hot streaks aside, it all balances out.  I always see people playing stacks of daily numbers.  Getting gas at the same gas station at roughly the same time of day after work, you tend to see the same people playing the daily as a regular thing.  It brings in steady revenue to the state, but little else from what I've read.

Playing Megamillions (my fave, still a buck) at odds of 1:258,890,850 has astronomically bad odds for winning, but the windfall can be absolutely life changing.  My theory is that playing $1 per draw (twice a week), means I'm sure to hit MM at least once in a little over 129 million weeks (~2.5 million years).  I can cut that down to winning once every 1/2 million years by playing $5 per draw.  Ha ha, foolproof or foolish retirement plan?  Foolish for sure.  It's like the world's fastest race car in it's rarity, excitement and danger.  People show up in droves at the lottery sellers when record level jackpots arrive.  Thus, if people lose interest in the routine $300 million plus draws, the lotto has little choice but to ramp up the odds to increase the jackpots and keep people interested/playing.  Can you imagine the mayhem when a lotto hits $1 billion plus in the US?  I will make one prediction about that lotto draw:  record numbers of people will call in sick to stand in hours long lines to buy hundreds of QP/EP tickets, even people that have never played before.

Not related, but the most money I've ever won is playing horses at the track.  Short legs for sprints.  Long legs for distance.  Lightweight jockey.  Got it.  Watching the horses warm up is 90% of my method.  I watched a trainer punch a favored horse once.  Kept that to myself teehee.  I bet against that horse and won big time lol.  Probably never happen again.  It was a bad day for the horse but a good day for me.

Here's my perspective:

If I paid $1 for a chance to win the daily, it's like paying $1 at the door, going into a 25x40 foot room (1000 sq ft), and standing on the correct tile to win.  That's not so bad.  I can see that.

Contrast that tiny room against paying $1 for a chance to win MM, you pay the same $1 at the door, but now you walk into a room that is a little over 3 miles square (~5 km), then standing on the correct tile to win.  What?  It would take me one hour just to walk to the other corner of the room!  Yupp.  Kinda depressing odds if you ask me.  If I were in one corner, and somebody in the opposite corner, would I even see their feet considering curvature of the Earth?  Still, at a bargain $1 compared to greedy ole Powerball at $2, I still play.  (5280 ft/mi * 3.05mi)^2 is roughly equal to the odds of MM.  I hardly see people play the jackpot games much, unless it's a record, then there will be line for sure.

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1723 Posts
            Posted: September 27, 2015, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi shyguitar,  the lottery is a business to make money and tax money for the state.  It is not design to put money into the pockets of the people.  And yes, it is an extremely unfair game.  Do you remember for your state when they was promoting the lottery,  the big seller was, schools will benefit from the lottery.  And in most places the schools are not benefiting from the lottery.  Unless you live in a rich area where the schools do not need the money.

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              51138 Posts
              Posted: September 27, 2015, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

An avid desire for the gain of wealth!

At the U.N.: Pope Condemns Greed!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
                Member #145267
                August 1, 2013
                1723 Posts
                Posted: September 27, 2015, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

The Pope might as well go home instead of changing the greed mentality in the United States.  The United States grow on greed and it will fail on greed.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                  TX
                  United States
                  Member #121193
                  January 4, 2012
                  1637 Posts
                  Posted: September 27, 2015, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

The Pope might as well go home instead of changing the greed mentality in the United States.  The United States grow on greed and it will fail on greed.

The USA and its greed ???  hmmmm  Interesting, gotta look this up. So I went to the global humanitarian assistance dot org site and found these statistics;
                  In 2013
                  United States of America  gave a total of $30.9 Billion in assistance
                  UK
                  gave $17. 7 Billion Assistance
                  United Arab
                  Emerates gave 5.1 Billion
                  China
                  GAVE & RECIEVED   6.6 Billion
                  Russia
                  gave $543 Million-----WITH AN M not a B

Well crap, lets go to our neighbors to the north and the south shall we ?

Canada gave $5 Billion
                  Mexico
                  gave $ OH CRAP, it doesn't show they gave anything !

Other Countries;
                  Saudi Arabia
                  gave in 2012 $ 1.3 Billion

India GAVE & RECIEVED   $ 1.1 Billion
                  European Union
                  gave $15.2 Billion

So the USA gives more than double(except the U.K but its close to double) and certainly 5 or 6 or 25 times as much as some the above named countries and we have "greed mentality" ???

I don't claim this site is the end all and exact right down to the penny but I do find it interesting that it doesn't claim to be funded by the"greed mentality" of the USA.
                  *** GHA is funded by Canada,Netherlands,Sweden and U.K***According to their website.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
                    Member #106134
                    February 13, 2011
                    806 Posts
                    Posted: September 27, 2015, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

They have to make it harder to keep the games from going bankrupt.  It's way too easy for winners to win.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5761 Posts
                      Posted: September 27, 2015, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

The USA and its greed ???  hmmmm  Interesting, gotta look this up. So I went to the global humanitarian assistance dot org site and found these statistics;
                      In 2013
                      UK
                      United Arab
                      China
                      Russia

Canada gave $5 Billion
                      Mexico

Other Countries;
                      Saudi Arabia

European Union
                      gave $15.2 Billion

So the USA gives more than double(except the U.K but its close to double) and certainly 5 or 6 or 25 times as much as some the above named countries and we have "greed mentality" ???

I don't claim this site is the end all and exact right down to the penny but I do find it interesting that it doesn't claim to be funded by the"greed mentality" of the USA.
                      *** GHA is funded by Canada,Netherlands,Sweden and U.K***According to their website.

Lol. Hey Dana youre letting facts get in the way of his bs.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                        TX
                        United States
                        Member #121193
                        January 4, 2012
                        1637 Posts
                        Posted: September 27, 2015, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Lol. Hey Dana youre letting facts get in the way of his bs.

Perhaps he's just ....just....how does Obama put that ?  Oh yeah, now I remember....Misspoke
                        That's it, he misspoke.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19901 Posts
                          Posted: September 27, 2015, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

They have to make it harder to keep the games from going bankrupt.  It's way too easy for winners to win.

It always looks easier for winners but before they won it was just as hard for them to win as the losers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7344 Posts
                            Posted: September 28, 2015, 12:14 am - IP Logged

States join MM and PB because they know their large jackpots will attract players and hope those players will also play the local games.  If MM and PB were easier to win then they couldn't generate those large jackpots and without large jackpots there would be no reason for them to exist.

I Agree!

The last time I looked the odds of winning a Ohio Classic Lotto jackpot is much better than winning $1 million playing MM. Complaining about it must be some type of a personal reverse psychology thing.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3502 Posts
                              Posted: September 28, 2015, 12:55 am - IP Logged

In 2013
                              UK
                              United Arab
                              China
                              Russia

Canada gave $5 Billion
                              Mexico

Other Countries;
                              Saudi Arabia

European Union
                              gave $15.2 Billion

Here. I fixed your data.

United Arab
                              Emirates $540 per person
                              UK gave $279 per person
                              Canada gave $141 per person
                              United States of America  gave a total of $96 per person

I also showed it by GDP, but that doesn't change the order.

United Arab Emirates gave 1.27% of GDP
                              UK gave 0.66% of GDP
                              Canada gave 0.27% of GDP
                              United States of America  gave 0.18% of GDP

On the bright side, what we lack in greed we make up for in stupidity.