Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why does it have to be so impossible to win the lottery?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Stack47.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3501 Posts
Posted: September 28, 2015, 12:55 am - IP Logged

"why can't the odds be better for more people to have a chance to win the 2nd prize"

You need a course in basic probability. And therapy. Lots and lots of therapy.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4146 Posts
    Posted: September 28, 2015, 1:00 am - IP Logged

Why does it have to be so impossible to win the lottery?.. because...

Image result for if it was easy everybody would do it

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19901 Posts
      Posted: September 28, 2015, 9:11 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

The last time I looked the odds of winning a Ohio Classic Lotto jackpot is much better than winning $1 million playing MM. Complaining about it must be some type of a personal reverse psychology thing.

The odds of winning a million dollars playing MM are 1:18,499,208 and the odds of winning the Ohio Classic Lotto jackpot are 1:13,983,816 and it's $11.7M or $5.8M cash.

Players who claim they play MM in hopes of winning the second prize of a million dollars aren't fooling anyone except maybe themselves because most state lotteries have jackpots that size with better odds of winning them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5762 Posts
        Posted: September 28, 2015, 9:46 am - IP Logged

The odds of winning a million dollars playing MM are 1:18,499,208 and the odds of winning the Ohio Classic Lotto jackpot are 1:13,983,816 and it's $11.7M or $5.8M cash.

Players who claim they play MM in hopes of winning the second prize of a million dollars aren't fooling anyone except maybe themselves because most state lotteries have jackpots that size with better odds of winning them.

I wish that was the case in Tx. Our Lotto is 6/54. I really wish it was 6/49.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

olplugger's avatar - moon2
          Mechanicsville, VA
          United States
          Member #84145
          December 23, 2009
          1523 Posts
          Posted: September 28, 2015, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Your question should be "why do people like to play games they think are impossible to win" when there are plenty of local games with better odds and smaller prizes. 

States join MM and PB because they know their large jackpots will attract players and hope those players will also play the local games.  If MM and PB were easier to win then they couldn't generate those large jackpots and without large jackpots there would be no reason for them to exist.

I agree!  Play for fun.....you might win a considerable sum on the smaller prizes offered.

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

olplugger's avatar - moon2
            Mechanicsville, VA
            United States
            Member #84145
            December 23, 2009
            1523 Posts
            Posted: September 28, 2015, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Thanks for posting!  I agree.

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

United States
              Member #35335
              March 16, 2006
              116 Posts
              Posted: September 28, 2015, 9:59 am - IP Logged

They have to make it harder to keep the games from going bankrupt.  It's way too easy for winners to win.

What conversations (and promises) were made between lawmakers and lotto officials?  Let's play devil's advocate and assume there were promises made about how much cash the state would receive.  And, let's also say that those promises aren't holding.  I can easily imagine lawmakers applying pressure to get the cash flow going again.  (State budget wrangling aside.)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19901 Posts
                Posted: September 28, 2015, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I wish that was the case in Tx. Our Lotto is 6/54. I really wish it was 6/49.

And I wish Ohio had a game like Texas's All or Nothing with overall odds of 1:4.5 of winning something, the closest we have to that is Rolling Cash5 with overall odds of 1:8.7.  The grass always look greener some where else. Wink

Evil Looking       

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3857 Posts
                  Posted: September 28, 2015, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I see the odds of the OCL are the same as the Jersey Pic6 so I guess that is a 6/49 game ?

What is the starting JP ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19901 Posts
                    Posted: September 28, 2015, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

I see the odds of the OCL are the same as the Jersey Pic6 so I guess that is a 6/49 game ?

What is the starting JP ?

Yes, OCL is a 6/49 game with a starting jackpot of $1M that increases at least $100K after each drawing.  The cash option is fixed at 50% of the JP.

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7344 Posts
                      Posted: September 29, 2015, 1:16 am - IP Logged

And I wish Ohio had a game like Texas's All or Nothing with overall odds of 1:4.5 of winning something, the closest we have to that is Rolling Cash5 with overall odds of 1:8.7.  The grass always look greener some where else. Wink

I've predicted 160 Texas All or Nothing combos, 40 each drawing 6 days a week for almost two years and very seldom "won" more than I "wagered" for even one day. That being said it's still a fun game, but don't expect to win over the long run.

homestead
                        United States
                        Member #158182
                        August 14, 2014
                        138 Posts
                        Posted: September 29, 2015, 3:05 am - IP Logged

Excitement at 9 digit jackpots has faded.

The daily pick 3 typically pays 500 on odds of 1:1000 (000-999).  Depends on where you play, legal or otherwise I suppose.  We all know this and it's awesome odds if you ask me.  Theoretically, over time you can only win back half of what you play.  Whoops, forgot taxes.  Yikes.  I'm not going to make a living or retire playing the daily.  It's like a Toyota, in that it's common, dependable and predictable.  I'm not saying predictable in what the numbers will be, but predictable-ish in the payout.  Cold and hot streaks aside, it all balances out.  I always see people playing stacks of daily numbers.  Getting gas at the same gas station at roughly the same time of day after work, you tend to see the same people playing the daily as a regular thing.  It brings in steady revenue to the state, but little else from what I've read.

Playing Megamillions (my fave, still a buck) at odds of 1:258,890,850 has astronomically bad odds for winning, but the windfall can be absolutely life changing.  My theory is that playing $1 per draw (twice a week), means I'm sure to hit MM at least once in a little over 129 million weeks (~2.5 million years).  I can cut that down to winning once every 1/2 million years by playing $5 per draw.  Ha ha, foolproof or foolish retirement plan?  Foolish for sure.  It's like the world's fastest race car in it's rarity, excitement and danger.  People show up in droves at the lottery sellers when record level jackpots arrive.  Thus, if people lose interest in the routine $300 million plus draws, the lotto has little choice but to ramp up the odds to increase the jackpots and keep people interested/playing.  Can you imagine the mayhem when a lotto hits $1 billion plus in the US?  I will make one prediction about that lotto draw:  record numbers of people will call in sick to stand in hours long lines to buy hundreds of QP/EP tickets, even people that have never played before.

Not related, but the most money I've ever won is playing horses at the track.  Short legs for sprints.  Long legs for distance.  Lightweight jockey.  Got it.  Watching the horses warm up is 90% of my method.  I watched a trainer punch a favored horse once.  Kept that to myself teehee.  I bet against that horse and won big time lol.  Probably never happen again.  It was a bad day for the horse but a good day for me.

Here's my perspective:

If I paid $1 for a chance to win the daily, it's like paying $1 at the door, going into a 25x40 foot room (1000 sq ft), and standing on the correct tile to win.  That's not so bad.  I can see that.

Contrast that tiny room against paying $1 for a chance to win MM, you pay the same $1 at the door, but now you walk into a room that is a little over 3 miles square (~5 km), then standing on the correct tile to win.  What?  It would take me one hour just to walk to the other corner of the room!  Yupp.  Kinda depressing odds if you ask me.  If I were in one corner, and somebody in the opposite corner, would I even see their feet considering curvature of the Earth?  Still, at a bargain $1 compared to greedy ole Powerball at $2, I still play.  (5280 ft/mi * 3.05mi)^2 is roughly equal to the odds of MM.  I hardly see people play the jackpot games much, unless it's a record, then there will be line for sure.

Imagine if you spent $100(100 tickets) on The Daily 3 with the same one set of 3 numbers on all the tickets? That's $50,000 right there if your numbers are drawn. From there, if you put in $2K(2000 tickets) into the daily 3 with the same number set? That's $1 Million, provided that your state's lottery has a liability limit of $10 Million.. The Daily 3 is the only way to win $1 Million with better odds than the regular Pick-6 State Lotto...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19901 Posts
                          Posted: September 29, 2015, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

I've predicted 160 Texas All or Nothing combos, 40 each drawing 6 days a week for almost two years and very seldom "won" more than I "wagered" for even one day. That being said it's still a fun game, but don't expect to win over the long run.

That's true for any lottery game.  At least for OCL(6/49) and Super Lotto(6/49+1) before it.  Before I retired I was in a work pool that played SL+ regularly and we matched 5/6 four times and I even matched 5/6 on my own after retiring.  When OCL replaced LotoPlay I started playing again and matched 5/6 once in 2013 but since have had only an occassional 3/6.

I still follow the game and play it when the jackpot is decent but this week with PB at $300M+ I'll play it instead before its matrix changes.

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7344 Posts
                            Posted: September 29, 2015, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

That's true for any lottery game.  At least for OCL(6/49) and Super Lotto(6/49+1) before it.  Before I retired I was in a work pool that played SL+ regularly and we matched 5/6 four times and I even matched 5/6 on my own after retiring.  When OCL replaced LotoPlay I started playing again and matched 5/6 once in 2013 but since have had only an occassional 3/6.

I still follow the game and play it when the jackpot is decent but this week with PB at $300M+ I'll play it instead before its matrix changes.

I too was in was in a Super Lotto pool and drove to WVA to get tickets for "The Big Game" when that jackpot was huge. Back in those days, Ohio Super Lotto and the pick-3 were very popular and the televised live ball drawings were well watched. Times have changed and scratch-offs, MM, and PB are the new games of choice and probably why some state lotteries are considering going to RNG drawings.

PB will be one of the few lottery games I've won more than I wagered and that's because I hardly played and won $400 with PowerPlay before the last matrix change.