Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Update from "Weaning myself off of the lottery"

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 1 year ago by haymaker.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
Member #154519
April 19, 2014
246 Posts
Posted: October 11, 2015, 11:54 am - IP Logged

Hi, I wanted to give an update to my original thread about weaning myself off of the lottery (Original thread here).  I went ahead and disconnected my internet and tv to recoup my losses (I spent $200 in 2 days on scratchers).  I didn't hit my goal of 2 months without service but I made it 1.5 months and now my urge to gamble is a lot less.  I now associate scratchers with me not having any tv or internet.  I still have a very small urge to gamble and I have stuck with spending $2 a week on the number games (FL lottery and Mega Millions).  I'm proud to say that I feel in control of my gambling and I now carry my debit card with me (I had to leave it at home before because I would withdraw money and buy tickets).

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
    Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1550 Posts
    Posted: October 11, 2015, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

Thank You morgothaod for your good news.  Congratulations !! 

Are you living one day at a time?

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51178 Posts
      Posted: October 11, 2015, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Hi, I wanted to give an update to my original thread about weaning myself off of the lottery (Original thread here).  I went ahead and disconnected my internet and tv to recoup my losses (I spent $200 in 2 days on scratchers).  I didn't hit my goal of 2 months without service but I made it 1.5 months and now my urge to gamble is a lot less.  I now associate scratchers with me not having any tv or internet.  I still have a very small urge to gamble and I have stuck with spending $2 a week on the number games (FL lottery and Mega Millions).  I'm proud to say that I feel in control of my gambling and I now carry my debit card with me (I had to leave it at home before because I would withdraw money and buy tickets).

After living a lavish life style it's difficult to go back to a simple life style, however with resolve you can accomplish your goal!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
        Member #154519
        April 19, 2014
        246 Posts
        Posted: October 11, 2015, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

Thank You morgothaod for your good news.  Congratulations !! 

Are you living one day at a time?

No, not really… I think that my mindset changed after I "punished myself" for gambling so much money.  The feeling to buy a ticket is very, very small now.  I guess the negative association with gambling (Not having tv and internet) is still very strong in my mind.  I just don't want to fall into the hopeless feeling of buying a $20 scratcher, losing, buying another to make up for the loss, lose again, and keep buying tickets to just break-even.  I guess I didn't really have a strong gambling addiction.  For the most part, I spent maybe $30 a month, however, once every other month or two, I would have a day where I could lose $100.  I'm not rich, so I didn't want to see myself spend that much money. I can't say for certain that I will continue on this path.  However, I'll try my best to do so.

CALI
          Afghanistan
          Member #118735
          November 6, 2011
          134 Posts
          Posted: October 11, 2015, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

No, not really… I think that my mindset changed after I "punished myself" for gambling so much money.  The feeling to buy a ticket is very, very small now.  I guess the negative association with gambling (Not having tv and internet) is still very strong in my mind.  I just don't want to fall into the hopeless feeling of buying a $20 scratcher, losing, buying another to make up for the loss, lose again, and keep buying tickets to just break-even.  I guess I didn't really have a strong gambling addiction.  For the most part, I spent maybe $30 a month, however, once every other month or two, I would have a day where I could lose $100.  I'm not rich, so I didn't want to see myself spend that much money. I can't say for certain that I will continue on this path.  However, I'll try my best to do so.

I spend about $400 on Scratcher= I buy 1 entire book every month and still haven't nailed anything major

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
            Member #165244
            March 30, 2015
            229 Posts
            Posted: October 12, 2015, 10:50 am - IP Logged

I spend about $400 on Scratcher= I buy 1 entire book every month and still haven't nailed anything major

Do you at least break even?  Or come close...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19901 Posts
              Posted: October 12, 2015, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

Do you at least break even?  Or come close...

How can he if states keep 50% of sales for themselves.  A roll of tickets by design is only going to pay out 50% of their cost on average.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

addai1516's avatar - lib
                Newyork City NY / westland michigan
                United States
                Member #93153
                June 23, 2010
                4087 Posts
                Posted: October 18, 2015, 7:29 am - IP Logged

congratulations !!Dance

< God bless all  ,family, love, happiness > 

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3857 Posts
                  Posted: October 22, 2015, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Good for you !

You be the master, don't let it be the master

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.