Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Losing friendship over not joining a lottery pool. .thoughts anyone?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Teddi.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4109 Posts
Posted: October 21, 2015, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

One of my close friends just started working at a tech company about two weeks ago and was approached by a few co workers in joining in the company lottery pool. When he told them he frowned on the idea but preferred going Solo, he said that he immediately felt ostracised. I said that he should have joined in in order to " go along,  get along" at this point and maybe when his been there a while- simply quit.His take was " they expecting $10.00 per week/ $5.00 for MM- $5.00 for PB, and he plays $2-$5.00 max per week."  Could l have added more clearer advice?

Thoughts anyone, esp those who have experience in dealing with pools?

Have a Great Hump Day everyone & stay Healthy People. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #77167
    July 15, 2009
    556 Posts
    Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Your friend is playing within HIS budget and has the courage not to be bullied into exceeding it.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40571 Posts
      Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Real friends respect your decisions, even when they disagree.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
        Green Bay
        United States
        Member #169391
        October 15, 2015
        1248 Posts
        Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't consider his co-workers "friends".

Never give up.  Banana

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

apart from feeling  a chump if they ever win. He should alt least ask how its setup, who runs it, are there  copies of purchased tickets handed out and a clear   distinction off all eligible pools members. what happens of someone is off work  do they get covered? are they technically still in who decides? whats the possibilities of lawsuits? 

answer all that and ill consider joining if im happy with the answers

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49813 Posts
            Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Especially after being in the employ of the company only two weeks.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4109 Posts
              Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Your friend is playing within HIS budget and has the courage not to be bullied into exceeding it.

I Agree!.... l guess his trying to be amiable with these guys Z.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19830 Posts
                Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

One of my close friends just started working at a tech company about two weeks ago and was approached by a few co workers in joining in the company lottery pool. When he told them he frowned on the idea but preferred going Solo, he said that he immediately felt ostracised. I said that he should have joined in in order to " go along,  get along" at this point and maybe when his been there a while- simply quit.His take was " they expecting $10.00 per week/ $5.00 for MM- $5.00 for PB, and he plays $2-$5.00 max per week."  Could l have added more clearer advice?

His co-workers probably do lots of things that don't involve everybody, playing the lottery is just one of them.  They wouldn't expect him to join them at their place or worship or hang out with them at the local bar after work, why would this be any different?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4109 Posts
                  Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Real friends respect your decisions, even when they disagree.

Yes Sully,  these strong arm tactics don't sit well with him, that's the reason he told me how he felt.l wanted   to tell him that if they pissed off by little things like getting someone to join a pool, what happens if they win- more headaches? 

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4109 Posts
                    Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!..that's why l posted  " my friend ".....his " co workers". The term Friendship is a loose definition when discussing this scenario. 

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4109 Posts
                      Posted: October 21, 2015, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

His co-workers probably do lots of things that don't involve everybody, playing the lottery is just one of them.  They wouldn't expect him to join them at their place or worship or hang out with them at the local bar after work, why would this be any different?

I Agree!.  they probably thought he would go along with their suggestion. I did not delve too much into the discussion because he just brought it up offhand. 

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: October 21, 2015, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I agree w/your go along get along idea, being new on a job it's the best way, could have been a test.

I've run/been in pools but there's never been any pressure either way.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                          NY
                          United States
                          Member #121961
                          January 21, 2012
                          3157 Posts
                          Posted: October 21, 2015, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

He should do what he wants. If he wins he won't see them anymore. If they win they won't see him anymore.

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4109 Posts
                            Posted: October 21, 2015, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

I agree w/your go along get along idea, being new on a job it's the best way, could have been a test.

I've run/been in pools but there's never been any pressure either way.

I Agree!..It's the Pressure thing that bothers him.Kinda sounds like a hard & fast rule. Ten Bucks or else...

riscknight's avatar - riscknight
                              Athens
                              Greece
                              Member #133234
                              September 24, 2012
                              188 Posts
                              Posted: October 21, 2015, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

To be honest, I think the real problem is... he is the new guy that just started...

6/49 dis(assembly)