Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Losing friendship over not joining a lottery pool. .thoughts anyone?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Teddi.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4144 Posts
Posted: October 21, 2015, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

He should do what he wants. If he wins he won't see them anymore. If they win they won't see him anymore.

LOL..sounds about right.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4144 Posts
    Posted: October 21, 2015, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

To be honest, I think the real problem is... he is the new guy that just started...

Which should be reason enough to play it safe instead of turning it into a military operation. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19895 Posts
      Posted: October 21, 2015, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

Yes Sully,  these strong arm tactics don't sit well with him, that's the reason he told me how he felt.l wanted   to tell him that if they pissed off by little things like getting someone to join a pool, what happens if they win- more headaches? 

I remember reading about a lottery pool in a steel plant near Cleveland that won the Ohio Super Lotto some years back right after they asked a new employee to join.  Even though he paid the same amount as the other members they thought he should be willing to accept a smaller share of the jackpot since they had been playing a couple of years before he joined.  He had to sue them to get an equal share.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4144 Posts
        Posted: October 21, 2015, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

I remember reading about a lottery pool in a steel plant near Cleveland that won the Ohio Super Lotto some years back right after they asked a new employee to join.  Even though he paid the same amount as the other members they thought he should be willing to accept a smaller share of the jackpot since they had been playing a couple of years before he joined.  He had to sue them to get an equal share.

Oh Lordy RJ. That's downright awful. That's similar to a Heavyweight boxing contender whose ranked 12th  knocking out the Champion, and then being told " it does not count since they not in the top 3"..personally- l avoid lottery pools like a used syringe needle...bad analogy,  but hey!

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
          Green Bay
          United States
          Member #169391
          October 15, 2015
          1277 Posts
          Posted: October 21, 2015, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

How about the Maryland woman who was in a lottery pool with some McDonalds co-workers.  She bought a winning 105 million dollar ticket but claimed she bought it for herself.  They had some tickets locked in a safe at McDonalds for the drawing but the evening of the drawing they gave her 5 dollars to buy more on the way home.   IMO lottery pools are nothing but trouble, some people are way too greedy.  Play for yourself.  LOL

Never give up.  Banana

grwurston's avatar - 144
            Let's Go Rangers!!!
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            5097 Posts
            Posted: October 21, 2015, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

One of my close friends just started working at a tech company about two weeks ago and was approached by a few co workers in joining in the company lottery pool. When he told them he frowned on the idea but preferred going Solo, he said that he immediately felt ostracised. I said that he should have joined in in order to " go along,  get along" at this point and maybe when his been there a while- simply quit.His take was " they expecting $10.00 per week/ $5.00 for MM- $5.00 for PB, and he plays $2-$5.00 max per week."  Could l have added more clearer advice?

Thoughts anyone, esp those who have experience in dealing with pools?

Have a Great Hump Day everyone & stay Healthy People. 

It could have been a "feeling him out" kind of thing.  If your friend plays the Pick 3-4 and gets some wins, they might think he's good and ask him again. But then again, they may get jealous. I say wait till January, and if they have any playoff football pools get in, or start one. By then he'll know who's cool and who isn't.

I was asked to join an office pool once. There were 10 people, one left so I got in. Every one took a turn buying the tickets, collecting $$, making copies etc. Before long, with me being a daily player, I was asked to buy the tickets every drawing. To me, no big deal. Did it for a year and a half. I would get the tickets and make copies at work, and pass out copies the day of the drawing. One day, I woke up to car trouble and couldn't get to work but was able to get the tickets, made copies at the store and handed out the copies the day after the drawing. One person said, "how do we know these aren't copies of losers and you could have kept a winner for yourself?" So I said, after a year and a half you're going to question my honesty? If it bothered you that much, why didn't you do it? No answer. After that I said someone else can do everything. (He did apologize after the other pool members got on his case.) But nobody did. End of pool. So now, no pools for me.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3316 Posts
              Posted: October 21, 2015, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

wow, thats  just not right. i hope the judge assigned him more than his fair share, just to teach them to share.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7341 Posts
                Posted: October 21, 2015, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't consider his co-workers "friends".

Friends in work places do create on-going pools, but that can become awkward when other non-friend co-workers ask to join. At $10 a week it's an easy "thanks but no thanks and say something like he occasionally plays which would help to stop any hard feelings if he did happen to win.

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  700 Posts
                  Posted: October 21, 2015, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

One of my close friends just started working at a tech company about two weeks ago and was approached by a few co workers in joining in the company lottery pool. When he told them he frowned on the idea but preferred going Solo, he said that he immediately felt ostracised. I said that he should have joined in in order to " go along,  get along" at this point and maybe when his been there a while- simply quit.His take was " they expecting $10.00 per week/ $5.00 for MM- $5.00 for PB, and he plays $2-$5.00 max per week."  Could l have added more clearer advice?

Thoughts anyone, esp those who have experience in dealing with pools?

Have a Great Hump Day everyone & stay Healthy People. 

I think that's wrong. I once asked a new employee if he wanted to join the pool I'm running and he said he wasn't interested, and that was the end of it. I did tell him if he changes his mind just let me know, and he said "ok." It's a matter of personal choice as far as I'm concerned and if someone doesn't want to be in, that's up to them.

I have been running a pool for around 10 years and I only charge $4/payday(every two weeks) and I buy a mix of MegaMillions, Powerball, and Lotto tickets for the 4 drawings that take place between paydays. We currently have 11 members, but we've gone as high as 13 in the past. We haven't hit it big yet, but we keep trying.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7341 Posts
                    Posted: October 21, 2015, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

I believe that happened when the Lottery only issued one check after deducting taxes instead of giving members of a group equal shares. The Lottery now splits jackpot prizes, but only in equal amounts.

CALI
                      Afghanistan
                      Member #118735
                      November 6, 2011
                      134 Posts
                      Posted: October 22, 2015, 12:27 am - IP Logged

I think that's wrong. I once asked a new employee if he wanted to join the pool I'm running and he said he wasn't interested, and that was the end of it. I did tell him if he changes his mind just let me know, and he said "ok." It's a matter of personal choice as far as I'm concerned and if someone doesn't want to be in, that's up to them.

I have been running a pool for around 10 years and I only charge $4/payday(every two weeks) and I buy a mix of MegaMillions, Powerball, and Lotto tickets for the 4 drawings that take place between paydays. We currently have 11 members, but we've gone as high as 13 in the past. We haven't hit it big yet, but we keep trying.

Our group has 10 people, been going on now for 4 Years.

In it for the long Haul, I guess...

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
                        Member #57793
                        January 19, 2008
                        2367 Posts
                        Posted: October 22, 2015, 6:32 am - IP Logged

No No  Do not Play Lottery on Company Time...

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                          Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #129225
                          June 13, 2012
                          546 Posts
                          Posted: October 22, 2015, 7:10 am - IP Logged

How about the Maryland woman who was in a lottery pool with some McDonalds co-workers.  She bought a winning 105 million dollar ticket but claimed she bought it for herself.  They had some tickets locked in a safe at McDonalds for the drawing but the evening of the drawing they gave her 5 dollars to buy more on the way home.   IMO lottery pools are nothing but trouble, some people are way too greedy.  Play for yourself.  LOL

We will never forget Mirlande Wilson she will go down as the "biggest hoax" of all times.  She came out and said she won it but then misplaced the ticket, then said that she paid off the Three Amigos to collect the ticket.  She was greedy alright but NO WINNER!!

Noisegate I think your friend did the right thing in not going into a lottery pool that he didn't want to play!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19895 Posts
                            Posted: October 22, 2015, 10:22 am - IP Logged

I believe that happened when the Lottery only issued one check after deducting taxes instead of giving members of a group equal shares. The Lottery now splits jackpot prizes, but only in equal amounts.

That might have been but even then groups that won lottery jackpots could fill out some federal tax forms to share the tax burdens among its members and reduce the overall tax amount.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Baton Rouge, LA
                              United States
                              Member #4602
                              May 7, 2004
                              700 Posts
                              Posted: October 22, 2015, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

Our group has 10 people, been going on now for 4 Years.

In it for the long Haul, I guess...

I guess so. Running the pool can be a lot of work at times. When they change the matrix and multi draw gets suspended, that's a pain in the backside, along with having to find new playslips after they make the changes. Sometimes the stores don't put them out right away.

We've been playing a long time, something needs to break sooner or later.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"