Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

IL. lottery quietly issuing checks but you cannot cash yet

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7341 Posts
Posted: November 9, 2015, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Get a picture of one of the checks and post it. At least see it with your own eyes so you can validate this is happening.

I Agree!

the [Illinois] state comptroller has said they can't make payouts over $25,000 because the state hasn't approved a budget.

If the comptroller can't make payouts, it makes no sense for them to issue NSF checks.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
    Upacreek
    United States
    Member #136306
    December 8, 2012
    431 Posts
    Posted: November 9, 2015, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Something doesn't smell right here...

would be nice...

-RC

sunsine's avatar - praying hands.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #144291
      June 30, 2013
      713 Posts
      Posted: November 10, 2015, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Post dating a check when you know you don't have the funds, is illegal in a number of states.

How illegal? Once you write a check and even post date it, it doesnt matter Federal banking regs dont recognize IOU's. The lottery is just as culpable as you are I fo writing a hot check. I would ty to cash it and take it to you SA just to bust their chops...a hot lottery check..geesh.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
        Member #142499
        May 13, 2013
        1203 Posts
        Posted: November 10, 2015, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

I found out that the IL. lottery has issued a few checks to winners last week but they were told not to cash the check till they hear it is ok via a news report, otherwise the check would bounce. The checks issued have a void after 90 days so I would tend to think there will be some sort of deal done within the 90 days to avoid the cost of re-issuing them. the reason i say quietly because the people I know of have walked into the lottery office and been issued checks, I do not know if you would get a yes come on in if you called them on the phone.

I don't doubt that you're being told this, but how can this possibly be true? If true, it's 10 times worse than winners not being given anything at all. 

What happens if this issue isn't resolved in the next 90 days? If a winner still has no access to funds won, then nothing has changed. They might as well have received monopoly money. No access to funds means lawsuits will still move forward, so again, what would be the point in doing this?

If the comptroller knows that a deal is in the works, why not just issue a statement to the winners saying "we promise you that you'll have your funds within the next 90 days". Or why say or do anything at all since they know it will be resolved shortly?

If someone is actually issuing non-cashable checks to winners, it sounds like there's a scam happening. Especially since these people would have had to have turned in their tickets to someone in order to get these do-not-cash-until-we-announce-it payout checks".

Every aspect of this story is shooting up red flags and setting off alarm bells. I wouldn't turn over my ticket to anyone for an IOU.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4945 Posts
          Posted: November 10, 2015, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

How illegal? Once you write a check and even post date it, it doesnt matter Federal banking regs dont recognize IOU's. The lottery is just as culpable as you are I fo writing a hot check. I would ty to cash it and take it to you SA just to bust their chops...a hot lottery check..geesh.

Lol huh?

J'aime La France.

rockport
            United States
            Member #165696
            April 19, 2015
            43 Posts
            Posted: November 10, 2015, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

Lol huh?

Unfortunately this Shady and Morally Bankrupted lottery will somehow make Millions and Millions on the Interest from unpaid Prize Money..

Lotteries are nothing without us.. In my eyes this is a cut and dry case of fraud on the Grand Stage!! 

People who continue buying in are just as Bad in my book!!    Such BS!!! its Sickening!!!

Chicago, Il
              United States
              Member #155131
              May 9, 2014
              28 Posts
              Posted: November 11, 2015, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Funny thing is, if des plaines and downtown office is still open. They havent been writing checks. What do these "employees" do all day then?? I remember going to one like 14 years ago, when they were all over the place. I went to the one on 87th and pulaski because i had 5 numbers on lotto and got my measely $1,100 check

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10390 Posts
                Posted: November 30, 2015, 1:02 am - IP Logged

When I went to buy a Pick 3 ticket today I noticed the lottery monitor had a guy on it who had won $811 on Lotto.

So, over $600, he gets an IOU, and they put him on the monitor.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                  Member #106923
                  February 27, 2011
                  479 Posts
                  Posted: November 30, 2015, 11:04 am - IP Logged

When I went to buy a Pick 3 ticket today I noticed the lottery monitor had a guy on it who had won $811 on Lotto.

So, over $600, he gets an IOU, and they put him on the monitor.

Bang Head

CONGRATULATIONS!  If we were paying lottery winners this is the amount you would have won! 

Thanks for playing, and remember, you too can feel like a winner by playing the Illinois lottery!

Twitch

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10390 Posts
                    Posted: November 30, 2015, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

CONGRATULATIONS!  If we were paying lottery winners this is the amount you would have won! 

Thanks for playing, and remember, you too can feel like a winner by playing the Illinois lottery!

Twitch

Good one, realtorjim.

And don't forget the Illinois lottery motto:

Anything is Possible

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                      Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #74096
                      May 2, 2009
                      23229 Posts
                      Posted: November 30, 2015, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

Are these bozos still writing bad checks?

Hold the check until we have money or until you hear it's ok to put it in via NEWS REPORTS??

I wonder how many people tried to deposit?

They can't be paid if there are no funds...the depositor will get a credit then be assessed a fee

when the credit is reversed for NSF!! Banks charge fees for bad deposits...nevermind you thought

the money was there, they don't care. 

I would be enraged if PA pulled this stunt. I love to play but this would definitely make me stop

playing.

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #130754
                        July 23, 2012
                        199 Posts
                        Posted: November 30, 2015, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Hey Illinois, remember that money that I owe you for taxes, fines or what ever,  here is a I.O.U.

We good, right?

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5142 Posts
                          Posted: December 1, 2015, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I found out that the IL. lottery has issued a few checks to winners last week but they were told not to cash the check till they hear it is ok via a news report, otherwise the check would bounce. The checks issued have a void after 90 days so I would tend to think there will be some sort of deal done within the 90 days to avoid the cost of re-issuing them. the reason i say quietly because the people I know of have walked into the lottery office and been issued checks, I do not know if you would get a yes come on in if you called them on the phone.

FE:

Congrats to the few who got themselves checks, but and WE ALL know there is a "BUT" outthere somewhere>>>>>>>>>>>why not cash the check

and let it bounce if be>>>>>>>>>>>>>>then sue state and WIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>OR get together 4A CLA$$-ACTION SUIT against the IL lottery!!!

or gofer a RICO against the CROOK'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Better gitum fast before they go belly up ^BANKRUPPTURE^

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10390 Posts
                            Posted: December 2, 2015, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Not lottery, but this goes to show how messed up this state is.

An article on the news last night stated that the state of Illinois is asking for back pay from released inmates for room and board, not chump change either one case was for $20,000, another for over $400,000.

Lep