Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many marriages did the lottery destroy?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 months ago by lotterybraker.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you leave your spouse if you won?

Yes [ 7 ]  [15.22%]
No [ 33 ]  [71.74%]
Not sure [ 6 ]  [13.04%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 13 ]  
LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
Green Bay
United States
Member #169391
October 15, 2015
1248 Posts
Posted: December 6, 2015, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

I remember a story about a lottery winner years ago.  They were a married couple and after they won millions in the lottery they separated.

Never give up.  Banana

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
    JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
    Member #141034
    April 2, 2013
    1409 Posts
    Posted: December 6, 2015, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I remember a story about a lottery winner years ago.  They were a married couple and after they won millions in the lottery they separated.

Marriages and friendships are sometimes negatively impacted, when people know that you have suddenly come into a financial windfall. Attitudes change, and some people even think that they are entitled to your windfall. As for marriages, if a major windfall breaks you apart, instead of making your marriage stronger, then that marriage must have been on a shaky foundation to start with.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: December 6, 2015, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

I really doubt the lottery destroyed that marriage.  It was probably already gone.

I personally know 2 couples who only stay together because they can't afford to divorce.  Staying together in spite of being miserable is NOT a good thing.  None of the 4 parties are happy.  All are miserable knowing they are going home to someone they don't like and who doesn't like them either.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
        Greenville, SC
        United States
        Member #169870
        November 4, 2015
        374 Posts
        Posted: December 6, 2015, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

I'm currently single. It would depend on if I was happy with the person I'm with. I wouldn't show signs of wealth to new applicants. I thought about Julie Leach (the last Powerball winner before the matrix change). There was a piece in the news that she may leave her long-time boyfriend.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

Baton Rouge, LA
          United States
          Member #4602
          May 7, 2004
          699 Posts
          Posted: December 6, 2015, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

My wife and I have been married for 14 years and we have a strong marriage. We are always truthful with each other and we keep no secrets. We've been through some things together that have tested our marriage, and it has survived. If I were to win, I'd look forward to the two of us having a happy life together, but of course, it will be that way even if I don't ever win.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7322 Posts
            Posted: December 6, 2015, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

I read a statistic where over 50% of all marriages will end in divorce and lots of them ended because of some type of problem gambling. But compared to other forms of gambling, lottery games causing divorces are probably a very low percentage.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
              Texas
              United States
              Member #150797
              December 31, 2013
              815 Posts
              Posted: December 7, 2015, 7:39 am - IP Logged

I think winning the lottery could introduce stresses that might crack a stable marriage.  Maybe one partner wants fame/publicity while the other wants privacy or one wants to spend, spend, spend and the other wants to preserve the money to last for future generations. Could lead to some heated "discussions".

Maybe they would work it out, or maybe it is easier to split the money and go their separate ways.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4110 Posts
                Posted: December 7, 2015, 11:41 am - IP Logged

How many did it destroy? Don't know, don't care.  Conventional wisdom tells us that it's " best to date" for as long as possible before turning pro, if during those dating years your better half sticks around through good & bad times- you can rest assured that he/ she would still be at your side when you win the jackpot. A good relationship can withstand any physical or mental onslaught that is brought to bear on it.

Point being- when you look to your side with only pennies in your pocket, he or she ought to be there.Big Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
                  Member #106134
                  February 13, 2011
                  806 Posts
                  Posted: December 7, 2015, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

A divorce would definitely be in my best interests if I ever won.  The main reason is that NO ONE is going to ever tell me what to do again, or how to spend my money.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                    Member #106923
                    February 27, 2011
                    478 Posts
                    Posted: December 7, 2015, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

A divorce would definitely be in my best interests if I ever won.  The main reason is that NO ONE is going to ever tell me what to do again, or how to spend my money.

Are you kidding, the spouse is the only one who I could really trust.  Anyone else, probably just after the $$$$.  I'd rather have someone telling me what to do while keeping my cash, than some bombshell snatching my cash till I was broke then high tailing it.  Keep in mind I am quite adept at being able to manage a huge amount of cash, but I also know all common sense can have a way of bypassing the logic highway when it comes to women. 

Lover... Love... Sad Wavey...Oogle... Bang Head

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3475 Posts
                      Posted: December 7, 2015, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

"I really doubt the lottery destroyed that marriage."

Amen. I'm sure that plenty of marriages have been destroyed (at least in part) by losers trying to win th lottery. If a marriage ends because somebody actually wins the lottery it's probably because the money gives one of them the courage to pull the trigger after wishing they had the nerve for a long time.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                        Member #106923
                        February 27, 2011
                        478 Posts
                        Posted: December 7, 2015, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

It sounds like Paradise by the dashboard light by Meatloaf should be your theme song jj;

I swore I would love you to the end of time
                        So now I'm praying for the end of time
                        To hurry up and arrive
                        'Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you
                        I don't think that I can really survive
                        I'll never break my promise or forget my vow
                        But God only knows what I can do right now
                        I'm praying for the end of time

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40572 Posts
                          Posted: December 7, 2015, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

Does she cook your meals ?

Does she clean your house ?

Does she wash your clothes ?

Does she put out ?

Does she have your babies ?

Does she put up with your family ?

Is she there when your sad ?

Does she share hopes, dreams, thoughts and ideas with you?

Does she lay in your arms at night just because she knows that's a really good place to be ?

Did you ever consider that it is you who doesn't understand the meaning of sharing a life together?

Would she be heartbroken to read such unkind words.?

Maybe you need to do some soul searching, why did you marry her?

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4110 Posts
                            Posted: December 7, 2015, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Don't get sucked into his vortex of despair. Notice how he always says things like " these jackpots are so easy, they need to be made harder".. now its " A divorce would definitely be in my best interests if I ever won.".. 

You letting him into your head. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                              Lavender Rocket

United States
                              Member #124616
                              March 16, 2012
                              2642 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2015, 1:40 am - IP Logged

I dont recall reading any divorce filing where one of the compelling reasons was a lottery win or a lottery loss.  I've read some pretty odd things listed as reasons for"divorce a mensa et thoro" but maybe its time we have a "lottery" reason as standard.  It sure would make me chuckle.