Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a major multi-million dollar jackpot...

Topic closed. 61 replies. Last post 10 months ago by levijean.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Where would you move to?

Hawaii [ 7 ]  [10.45%]
West coast [ 10 ]  [14.93%]
East coast [ 5 ]  [7.46%]
Down south [ 14 ]  [20.90%]
Alaska [ 1 ]  [1.49%]
Mexico [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Central America [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
South America [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Europe [ 1 ]  [1.49%]
Same area but a nicer home [ 29 ]  [43.28%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
Texas
United States
Member #150797
December 31, 2013
815 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2015, 6:55 am - IP Logged

I've often "joked" that I wouldn't move north of the city limits sign.  I voted "South", but would want to stay here in Texas. I wouldn't want to move so far south as to have to deal with the humidity, but most likely someplace east of Dallas in the Quitman (home of Sissy Spacek) or Winnsboro area, both small towns but since there's several large lakes nearby, they have enough tourism - fishermen and boaters-  allowing for a wide selection of shops and restaurants.  It's fairly wooded in that area with some contour to the land and lots of live water/springs.  There are still distinct seasons and it usually snows there during the winter but not a lot.  Not much oil/gas production and not much of a pollution problem from that or other industries.   There are also very few tornadoes.

The best thing is it's close enough to my family to allow for the occasional weekend visit, but far enough away to preclude them from dropping in on me unannounced. Wink

"The best thing is it's close enough to my family to allow for the occasional weekend visit, but far enough away to preclude them from dropping in on me unannounced. Wink"

Hee hee!  I watch a lot of those "house hunter" type TV shows, and you would be surprised how often that is a consideration!

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5613 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2015, 11:01 am - IP Logged

I always tell my wife we would buy an island in caribbean somewhere. She doesn't like water, so that's probably out. Then I found property for sale out in the middle of nowhere about 50 miles east of El Paso. And I mean in the middle of nowhere. Well, she emphatically said no to that. Do we see a pattern here? I want seclusion. She, not so much. LOL.

So, we both like the hill country if it's close to a town like Fredericksburg. Very very likely to stay in Texas. Frankly, very very UNlikely to win millions. But, I keep trying.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1534 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2015, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

I would move to Rancho santa fe, California (San Diego area)  Great weather and a nice place to live.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
        Member #118609
        November 4, 2011
        939 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2015, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

I would move to Rancho santa fe, California (San Diego area)  Great weather and a nice place to live.

Nice year round temperatures.  I have seen some of your home links and they are very nice.

I found this one place that sold for $11 million and is now listed for $18 mil, not a bad investment if it sells for that!! 

It would take a HUGE lottery win the buy, clean and upkeep it.  It is way too big for me but I love the view, the outside grounds and property.  Inside not bad either lol.

http://www.priceypads.com/thousand-oaks-villa-27500000/

(Thanks Hearsetrax for the website, I love looking at the beautiful mansions everywhere).

The property is extraordinary.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2659 Posts
          Posted: December 18, 2015, 7:00 am - IP Logged

Nice year round temperatures.  I have seen some of your home links and they are very nice.

I found this one place that sold for $11 million and is now listed for $18 mil, not a bad investment if it sells for that!! 

It would take a HUGE lottery win the buy, clean and upkeep it.  It is way too big for me but I love the view, the outside grounds and property.  Inside not bad either lol.

(Thanks Hearsetrax for the website, I love looking at the beautiful mansions everywhere).

not a problem, lejardin

just wishes I could remember which one of the critters here showed that site to me first jejeje

as for my .02 on the main topic ......

not sure whar I'd relocate to , all I know thars the few shops near whar I live I don't think I could ever replace nore the few friends as well

United States
            Member #106134
            February 13, 2011
            806 Posts
            Posted: December 18, 2015, 9:02 am - IP Logged

Cayman Islands, because even South Florida is an arctic wasteland for 3 months out of the year.

Arizona
              United States
              Member #165073
              March 24, 2015
              220 Posts
              Posted: December 18, 2015, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Winter home in the Phoenix area, summer home in the high country of northern Arizona. Avoids both the cold and the heat.

United States
                Member #145267
                August 1, 2013
                1534 Posts
                Posted: December 19, 2015, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Hi Lajardin,

Nice, but pricey, My low end is around 2,500,00 and high end would be around 5,000,000 depending on how large the jackpot is.  I would take the cash amount and multiply that by 51%, than take the sum and subtract that by the cash amount.  That's your take home jackpot,  than I subtract 8,000,000 or 9,000,000 from the take home jackpot ( home = 3,500,000+property taxes for 41years, poss. 3 cars/ furniture and all of the up front buys)= 8,000,000 .  Than give money to family and pay the 30% taxes for the family.  Than would be my plan.

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1534 Posts
                  Posted: December 19, 2015, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Another example of a Rancho Santa fe home.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/ca/rancho-santa-fe/17332-circa-del-norte/pid_9217740/

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1186 Posts
                    Posted: December 19, 2015, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

I've been following this house for about 5-6 years now, and if we go from past trends, this will not bring the $7 million profit the current owners are going for. 

It sat on the market for YEARS with no takers. It had shades of the Stone Mansion in Alpine, NJ with a whiff of desperation-marketing thrown in. 

It's been featured on Million Dollar Rooms, Beautiful Homes and Great Estates, and other adverts masquerading as info-shows. I've always thought the house and grounds were stunning, but I don't see a home in this price range and public exposure sitting on the market for that long unless there's a drawback we don't know about. 

The $11 million is below what it cost to build the house in the first place so all things being equal, the current buyer got it for a steal. But for him to turn around and jack the price up without making any improvements or changes to the property appears pretty ridiculous. He didn't even bother to commission new photos. Just used the ones from the original listings. If it couldn't sell for $15 million before, I don't see how he'll sell it for $18 million now.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2659 Posts
                      Posted: December 19, 2015, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

I've been following this house for about 5-6 years now, and if we go from past trends, this will not bring the $7 million profit the current owners are going for. 

It sat on the market for YEARS with no takers. It had shades of the Stone Mansion in Alpine, NJ with a whiff of desperation-marketing thrown in. 

It's been featured on Million Dollar Rooms, Beautiful Homes and Great Estates, and other adverts masquerading as info-shows. I've always thought the house and grounds were stunning, but I don't see a home in this price range and public exposure sitting on the market for that long unless there's a drawback we don't know about. 

The $11 million is below what it cost to build the house in the first place so all things being equal, the current buyer got it for a steal. But for him to turn around and jack the price up without making any improvements or changes to the property appears pretty ridiculous. He didn't even bother to commission new photos. Just used the ones from the original listings. If it couldn't sell for $15 million before, I don't see how he'll sell it for $18 million now.

SkepticalI don't see much a point in spending big bucks on some one else's big dream and then try to make it one's own

I know for myself I still can't begin to validate spending more then $130k for a temp home nore more then $750k for my fully spec'd dream house 

of course lot depends one type of dream house base would cost etc etc etc

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4110 Posts
                        Posted: December 19, 2015, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Nice, but No Thanks. The landscapers guys would be going at their leaf blowers and running those suckers for quite a spell clearing out the leaves etc. Hate the noise they presently generate in my neighborhood since they start at 8.00am out here.  Would also exchange the smog & pollution hanging over the city below for an ocean view. Not much to ask for, but hey.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                          Republic of Texas
                          United States
                          Member #57557
                          January 9, 2008
                          1095 Posts
                          Posted: December 19, 2015, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Oh I'd definitely stay in Texas. No sense in living elsewhere. Big Grin Santa

I'd probably have weekend places, though nothing too pricey. Maybe a condo in the mountain ski country. Possibly Utah since Colorado seems to have gone to pot. Maybe some place on the coast, Port Aransas/Mustang Island (Redneck Riviera), for quick get aways that aren't more than a few hours drive.  I'd love a place on one of the Highland Lakes, probably LBJ.  But to live every day, where I'm at is fine. There's plenty of diversity to blend in what with Bentleys in the Walmart parking lot and valet parking at both malls. Plenty of restaurants and concert venues, too. Decent security and several gated neighborhoods to choose from, including two that are manned 24/7. International airport nearby. Plus the big city is a short drive, as long as you keep up on the freeway, long drive if you don't. LOL.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Delaware
                            United States
                            Member #93503
                            July 1, 2010
                            453 Posts
                            Posted: December 20, 2015, 3:19 am - IP Logged

Either stay where I'm at or move to Portland/Seattle.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                              Member #118609
                              November 4, 2011
                              939 Posts
                              Posted: December 21, 2015, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Hi Lajardin,

Nice, but pricey, My low end is around 2,500,00 and high end would be around 5,000,000 depending on how large the jackpot is.  I would take the cash amount and multiply that by 51%, than take the sum and subtract that by the cash amount.  That's your take home jackpot,  than I subtract 8,000,000 or 9,000,000 from the take home jackpot ( home = 3,500,000+property taxes for 41years, poss. 3 cars/ furniture and all of the up front buys)= 8,000,000 .  Than give money to family and pay the 30% taxes for the family.  Than would be my plan.

Hi bigbear29, YES it is very pricey but very, very beautiful.  As I said, it is way too big for me and the upkeep and yards and grounds would be an everyday occurrence and not sure I would would want that.  Exactly what Teddi said (and I want to respond to her next) it was a STEAL for the purchaser at $11 million but to list it for $18 million as it is for sale right now is outrageous and IMO just plain greedy especially in light it does not appear the purchaser did ANY improvements. 

What I do, numbers wise, is go to Todd's sister site, USAMega.  It shows by state the cash value and then the NET after taxes.  The only thing I deduct is the tithe and also deduct a bit more for MORE taxes as Uncle Sam is spending so fast I am sure a new tax is coming down the pipeline.  I too, would like to keep the housing max about $5 mil but there are so many wonderful estates and of course location, location, location makes a huge difference.  I like the idea of paying the taxes for 41 years and not be bothered with it, but I also assume the tax collector would come knocking for tax increases even though it may have been paid for years.  Obviously I dont like our government.  I also agree a new(er) car and a truck and furniture.  Family and a few friends will be taken care of but not via cash, I wont and dont want to be penalized the taxes.  This government has WAYYYY too much control over us and I dont like it.  Not many do I assume.

Your link to the newest home is gorgeous, love that outdoors.  I grew up in Southern California and most homes are adobe/spanish style I guess the reason I so love the French Country $18 million estate.  I know the area of Hidden Hills, Valley/Westlake and also lived in Thousand Oaks so I know the area well.  Funny how you always want to go "home".  I have two "homes" and both are very expensive places to live so the only way home is via a lottery.  Good luck to me and all of us.