$300 MILLION: Massive Powerball jackpot fuels New Year's dreams

Dec 27, 2015, 6:13 pm (87 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

Lottery players looking to start off 2016 by with a bang might want to consider purchasing a Powerball ticket this week.

For only the third time this year, the multi-state Powerball lottery jackpot has crossed the $300 million level, which traditionally triggers a substantial up-tick in lottery ticket sales.

Wednesday's $300 million jackpot was achieved after no winning tickets were sold for Saturday night's $255 million grand prize.

The lump-sum cash payout value of Saturday's Powerball jackpot is $184.2 million — the 21st-largest ever recorded in United States lottery history.

Players looking to calculate what they would receive after the initial federal and state tax withholdings can find it all pre-calculated for each Powerball jurisdiction on the Jackpot Analysis page at USA Mega, a web site devoted to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery games.

The largest Powerball jackpot ever awarded was on May 18, 2013, when Gloria C. MacKenzie of Zephyrhills, Florida, held the solitary winning ticket for a grand prize worth nearly $600 million (see Winner of record $590.5 million Powerball lottery jackpot announced, Lottery Post, June 5, 2013).

Wednesday's grand prize is the result of 15 consecutive draws without a winner.  The run-up started as a $40 million prize on Nov. 7.

The winning numbers for Saturday, December 26, 2015 were 27, 40, 44, 59, and 65, with Powerball number 20.  The Power Play number was 2.

In addition to the jackpot remaining intact Saturday night, there were also no second prize winners of $1,000,000. Second prize is won by matching the first five numbers but not the Powerball number.

21 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $50,000.  Of those tickets, 1 was purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $100,000.

Power Play is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered in Power Play is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts.  By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

Following the Saturday drawing, the Powerball annuity jackpot estimate was raised $45 million from its previous amount of $255 million. The cash value was raised by $25.8 million from its previous amount of $158.4 million.

The next Powerball drawing will take place Wednesday day night at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is increased according to a fixed prize schedule, which can be found on the Powerball Drawing Detail page at USA Mega, as well as on the Powerball Prize Payouts page at Lottery Post.

Powerball is now played in 44 states, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time.  Tickets cost $2 each.

Powerball lottery results are published within minutes of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com).  The USA Mega Web site provides lottery players in-depth information about the United States's two biggest multi-state lottery games, Mega Millions and Powerball.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

jjtheprince

Everyone is cursed with "can't win" I expect this to roll to $1,000,000,000!

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Dec 27, 2015

should be a good win for somebody or an even more curious start for the new year Party

best of luck every one

music*'s avatarmusic*

When I win it I will follow Will Rogers' advice,"I am more concerned about the return of my money than the return on it."  I will invest $50,000,000.00 of the Lump Sum into CDARS. Look at it on CDARS.com 

Good Luck to all LP Members and Staff!! Come on and win it.Party

noise-gate

This is the perfect time to hit it!

Make it happen California. 

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Dec 27, 2015

should be a good win for somebody or an even more curious start for the new year Party

best of luck every one

Green laugh

Dang hearsetrax!

That was perfect!

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I would like to split this jackpot with my mother so we can have a nice party.  Of course I can share with someone else too and my mother for a three way split $150 million for me and mom and $150 million for someone else.-weshar75

US Flag

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Dec 27, 2015

Green laugh

Dang hearsetrax!

That was perfect!

I Agree! I was thinking the same thing. Perfect response to a stupid comment.

Good luck to everyone!!!!!! It would be a fantastic way to ring in the new year

realtorjim

Quote: Originally posted by weshar75 on Dec 27, 2015

I would like to split this jackpot with my mother so we can have a nice party.  Of course I can share with someone else too and my mother for a three way split $150 million for me and mom and $150 million for someone else.-weshar75

US Flag

Make sure you get a notarized statement BEFORE the drawing stating you and your mother have equal shares in the ticket, and each of you have contributed half the cost of the tickets.  Else the IRS may be saying what you give your mother is a gift and invoke the EXTREMELY high gift tax rate.  This is AFTER it has  already been taxed to YOU as income.

music*'s avatarmusic*

weshar75, I have found that when I sleep on an irreversible decision I make a better one  the next day.

Good Luck to you and I hope there is a win it for Oregon and yourself.

I agree with realtorJim. You could use legal counsel.

jjtheprince

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Dec 27, 2015

I Agree! I was thinking the same thing. Perfect response to a stupid comment.

Good luck to everyone!!!!!! It would be a fantastic way to ring in the new year

Hearse trax has always been my #1 hater for no good reason.

That was a smart comment too, rolling to $2,000,000,000 wouldn't even shock me with this one.

travelintrucker's avatartravelintrucker

Billion dollars before February? It's getting pretty exciting!

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Dec 27, 2015

When I win it I will follow Will Rogers' advice,"I am more concerned about the return of my money than the return on it."  I will invest $50,000,000.00 of the Lump Sum into CDARS. Look at it on CDARS.com 

Well, I'm not sure I follow it in detail, all the way, but something tells me it's a good thing.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Dec 27, 2015

I expect Michigan to clean house on this one. Hyper Hurray! Dance

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

About time somebody from LP won this thing. It is way overdue.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

US Flag

Mr./Ms. Weshar75,

I wish to apply for that opportunity.  We'll need to get in touch, if it happens.

On the same note, I make a similar offer to you, in the unlikely event that I win it.  But, I offer you .5 million of the prize, should I be the sole winner of this coming Wednesday's Powerball.

And, how I need to win it. Yes, I know, everyone says that, but I really do need it. Lotto has been a consistent focus for me, for a long, long time.

"Groppo"

duckman's avatarduckman

Can't get excited about Powerball anymore. Terrible odds, $2 ticket price, and poor lower prize payouts make it one of the worst games to play...

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on Dec 28, 2015

Can't get excited about Powerball anymore. Terrible odds, $2 ticket price, and poor lower prize payouts make it one of the worst games to play...

It's the same for systems players too since there has only been 23 drawings since the last matrix change.  They just play a line or two to just be in the game.

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

US Flag

weshar75 - I vote with you and hope you win really soon!  Hurray!

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

"I would like to split this jackpot with my mother so we can have a nice party."

How big a share, and how old is your mother? At some point in the future she's going to leave an estate, and if it's big enough the IRS is going to get a share of it. That means giving more than a relatively modest amount to parent isn't a good idea from a financial perspective. I'd suggest finding a balance between generosity to parents and the generosity to the IRS that may come with it.

Piaceri

Wooooo!!! Time for a BIG WIN!!!!!

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

1 Jackpot winner in Baton Rouge La. Book it Dano! Banana

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Dec 28, 2015

"I would like to split this jackpot with my mother so we can have a nice party."

How big a share, and how old is your mother? At some point in the future she's going to leave an estate, and if it's big enough the IRS is going to get a share of it. That means giving more than a relatively modest amount to parent isn't a good idea from a financial perspective. I'd suggest finding a balance between generosity to parents and the generosity to the IRS that may come with it.

his mother is older than dirt and wouldn't know how to start spending it anyway. the unbridled enthusiasm over powerball jackpots has waned considerably. they ruined it with the expanded matrix and cost.

travelintrucker's avatartravelintrucker

Donald Lawson in Lapeer. Julie Leach in Three Rivers. The 300+ jackpots love Michigan.

music*'s avatarmusic*

I really enjoyed Julie Leach's press interview. She made it look fun. Everyone had a good time. Big Smile

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Dec 28, 2015

I really enjoyed Julie Leach's press interview. She made it look fun. Everyone had a good time. Big Smile

l did read where Julie said she would stop by her former job from time to time to say "Hi".Personally l would invite her former pool players out to an expensive Dinner as a " Thanks for being friends" and give them all a payment gift without running into a " tax situation." 

jjtheprince

JP will likely be upped before the drawing, just saw someone put down three stacks at a c store on this drawing!  Lines for tickets are massively long too.  I'm gonna use a vending machine LOL

mrlottojackpot

Please tell me where else you can buy something for set $2 dollars and return get $184,200,000. Dont worry ill wait. Its got to be hit by someone sometime. If you dont buy ticket you are guanteed to lose 100% of time. Ill gladly spend venting machine money to win millions. There are $20,$30, and $50 scratch offs that dont even sniff that kind of money.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

If the Powerball Lottery Jackpot is hit this Wednesday. I hope it more than one jackpot winner. Let a few people start 2016 off with a bang.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by cbr$ on Dec 28, 2015

If the Powerball Lottery Jackpot is hit this Wednesday. I hope it more than one jackpot winner. Let a few people start 2016 off with a bang.

it will be two winners, uncle sam and myself. no sense in being anything less then realistic on that prediction.

If it rolls there is no way I'm using a self serve, dern thing had a paper jam and when they got the paper unstuck the ticket was ruined. Our state refuses to reprint or reimburse for these incidences. At least at a clerk operated one they are more apt to call in the error and get permission to reproduce. 

The joke in my area is that its the person who is out picking up milk or refueling and they randomly buy that one ticket, I gotta lot of milk to drink !! Wink

ESR54's avatarESR54

Hello,cbr$  hope me you and afew others  as good as you are, Happy New Year .May your Family

Be bright and cheerful , MAY WE WIN PB.

music*'s avatarmusic*

May I suggest life insurance for winners. Like Term Life. This would pay the estate taxes. Term insurance is the way to go. thank you.Big Smile

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

I want to buy the car of my dreams.

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on Dec 28, 2015

Type it's your funeral with one of those .....

I still rather have something like this

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

A friend of mine husband has the 650S model, as a joke he offered me to sit in the passenger seat and it felt like i was sitting in a deep bucket. You have to be nimble and flexible to get in and out of those cars.

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Dec 28, 2015

A friend of mine husband has the 650S model, as a joke he offered me to sit in the passenger seat and it felt like i was sitting in a deep bucket. You have to be nimble and flexible to get in and out of those cars.

I'd most likely keep it in my garage and stare at it longingly.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

I'd most likely keep it in my garage and stare at it longingly.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

In a word, I don't agree.

OK, but I'll now say, yes, you have a couple good points. 

BUT still, $300 Million samolians! (before taxes)

If you win that, and all to yourself, you'll have a change of heart.

I'm certainly hoping I'll be the sole winner this coming Wednesday.

realtorjim

You are so right duckman, the odds are terrible, the price is high, and the lower level prize payouts poor.  However, I still bought a ticket because I CAN'T win it without one.

plumsage's avatarplumsage

My niece had a dream of getting $25 million.  I think she meant $300 million Wink

realtorjim

Quote: Originally posted by plumsage on Dec 28, 2015

My niece had a dream of getting $25 million.  I think she meant $300 million Wink

I chuckled on that one, plumsage.

realtorjim

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Dec 27, 2015

Good point, music.  CDARS is actually very sage advice for someone who can't stand the turmoil of higher risk investments, or someone who wants a protected large account.  My understanding, for those who are not familiar with CDARS (Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service), is one would make a deposit (say the net on a $300 million lottery win) to a CDARS network member institution.  That institution would then place the funds into CD's issued by other network member institutions, staying under $250K with each.  Thereby maintaining FDIC coverage on all of the accounts, but managed under one consolidated statement. 

There are two member banks very close to me.  I'm ready!  Dance

music*'s avatarmusic*

Please call your member banks and double check if there is a limit to how much can be covered in total. It might be $50,000,000.00 total. 

I would also ask, "can I move after opening a CDARS account?"

Thank You realtorjim for your encouragement.Cool

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by realtorjim on Dec 28, 2015

Good point, music.  CDARS is actually very sage advice for someone who can't stand the turmoil of higher risk investments, or someone who wants a protected large account.  My understanding, for those who are not familiar with CDARS (Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service), is one would make a deposit (say the net on a $300 million lottery win) to a CDARS network member institution.  That institution would then place the funds into CD's issued by other network member institutions, staying under $250K with each.  Thereby maintaining FDIC coverage on all of the accounts, but managed under one consolidated statement. 

There are two member banks very close to me.  I'm ready!  Dance

CDARS insurance caps out at 50M$.

I'm wondering if one could have multiple CDARSs by using corporations or LLCs?

realtorjim

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Dec 28, 2015

CDARS insurance caps out at 50M$.

I'm wondering if one could have multiple CDARSs by using corporations or LLCs?

How about a combination spousal account, then separate spousal accounts.  These would cover the actual value of the current PB jackpot, where my thinking presently is.  But it is an important aspect, especially if a jackpot is one billion, MM.  Thanks for mentioning it.

ekem6078's avatarekem6078

I Agree!

noise-gate

I Agree!....Spread it around!!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

By waiting until Saturday to win it, you'll have more time to do make tax decisions, so why not wait until next year to buy a ticket? Wink

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by Drenick1 on Dec 28, 2015

Easier to get into and out of, and still sexy

BMW

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 29, 2015

By waiting until Saturday to win it, you'll have more time to do make tax decisions, so why not wait until next year to buy a ticket? Wink

If you win the Powerball drawing on December 30th the taxes will be due on April 2017 not April 2016 because even if you went to lottery HQ to claim your prize on Thursday December 31, 2015 you will not get your lottery money until 2016.

SoleWinner21

After all taxes are paid and depending on the state. You pocket in the range of  $100 to $117 million (giver or take) from that $300. Still a crap load of money. I wouldn't even know what to spend it on.

here is my dream vacation home.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by SoleWinner21 on Dec 29, 2015

After all taxes are paid and depending on the state. You pocket in the range of  $100 to $117 million (giver or take) from that $300. Still a crap load of money. I wouldn't even know what to spend it on.

here is my dream vacation home.

That is one beautiful home.  Good luck to you SoleWinner 21!

SoleWinner21

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Dec 29, 2015

That is one beautiful home.  Good luck to you SoleWinner 21!

Thanks. Good luck too.

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Dec 29, 2015

BMW

Would be a Benz for me. And a Tesla Model S and a 300SL. Dance

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Dec 29, 2015

Would be a Benz for me. And a Tesla Model S and a 300SL. Dance

If your going to buy a junk BMW or Mercedes you should also consider getting one of these too.

DELotteryPlyr's avatarDELotteryPlyr

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Dec 29, 2015

If your going to buy a junk BMW or Mercedes you should also consider getting one of these too.

Thats Tomaters big brother

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Dec 29, 2015

I doubt a Mustang s more reliable. There is a reason fleets aren't made up of 'em.

Drenick1's avatarDrenick1

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Dec 29, 2015

BMW

Absolutely no doubt! A BMW 6 series or Mercedes SL550 would be my choice over a Mclaren 650S...my husband like most men would choose the Mclaren.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

For a $40M jackpot that might be true but for a chance to win $300M+ I don't mind spending $2.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

For a $40M jackpot that might be true but for a chance to win $300M+ I don't mind spending $2.

I Agree! I bought 2 lines this morning just to be in it. Won't be spending more than that though.

MaximumMillions

I still don't understand why people wouldn't part with 2$ a drawing to have a chance at 40M$, sure the odds aren't good, but what's the value of 2$? 2 cheeseburgers.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Dec 30, 2015

I still don't understand why people wouldn't part with 2$ a drawing to have a chance at 40M$, sure the odds aren't good, but what's the value of 2$? 2 cheeseburgers.

At $40M, there's a lot more and better competition for that $2.

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 30, 2015

At $40M, there's a lot more and better competition for that $2.

Calis SuperLotto maybe, but what other games give tens of millions of $$$ for 2$?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Calis SuperLotto maybe, but what other games give tens of millions of $$$ for 2$?

Most states lotteries have jackpots of $10-$20M with odds of 1:16M or better.  Ohio has Classic Lotto(6/49) with a jackpot of $17M for $1 and Lucky for Life(5/48+1/18) with a jackpot of $1000 a day for life for $2.

Like you, there are those who wonders why others wouldn't spend a dollar for a 1:1000 chance to win $500 with a pick3 ticket.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on Dec 29, 2015

If you win the Powerball drawing on December 30th the taxes will be due on April 2017 not April 2016 because even if you went to lottery HQ to claim your prize on Thursday December 31, 2015 you will not get your lottery money until 2016.

Is this a fact? Wasn't sure if they went by claim date or payment date. Going by payment date in the age of electronic banking makes sense, but with the IRS, I never want to make an educated guess and go with the sensible route because that might not be the way they see it. 

But if the tax really won't be due until 2017, that would be awesome. Talk about a double blessing. A big jackpot win and a 16 month breather before the rest of the taxes are due. Let a chunk earn interest just to help pay down that bill. Triple blessing!

Wouldn't you come out ahead of someone if they won the same amount in the middle of the year?

music*'s avatarmusic*

May I please add the two-word phrase, "Quarterly payments". It will be best to afford an expert like a Certified Public Accountant "CPA" when dealing with large sums of money & the IRS.

I do my best when reading anything online to take it all with a grain of salt.

A lottery winner will have expenses that I cannot even imagine. Winning will be a culture shock.

DELotteryPlyr's avatarDELotteryPlyr

Wonder if the jackpot will grow to more than 300 mil?

mikeintexas's avatarmikeintexas

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on Dec 29, 2015

I disagree.  Say the pay period on your job ended on Dec. 30 and they kept you a few days or a week (or more) behind before issuing your paycheck as do many companies - the salary earned was in 2015 and would be included in your return due by April 18th*.  Now, while I'm fairly certain I'm right, I'm not positive... which is why you should consult a qualified and reputable financial expert before claiming. That said,  I'd be willing to bet a JP would be just like any other income**, counted when you "earn" it, not when you get it.

*Yes,  April 18th, not the 15th as is usually the case.  Emancipation Day, a federal holiday, falls on the 16th next yr., which is a Saturday, but since it's on a weekend, the fed. govt. is "celebrating" (read:  shutting down fed. offices, including the IRS) the holiday on Friday.  We have three extra days this year to get our tax returns postmarked and I think in 2017 we'll still get a couple days more, due by April 17.

** I don't understand why jackpots are taxed as ordinary income .  (How is a win of several hundred million classified as "ordinary"?) Any large win^ + your regular income is taxed at the highest rate of 39.6%. (^over $415k+ for single filers)   It would be nice for a win to be tax-free, but barring that, it should be taxed along the lines of some flat rate (10% would be more than fair) or even like capital gains, the highest rate which is 20% for top tax bracket filers.  I'd write my representative, but....

music*'s avatarmusic*

The Lottery aims for a billion dollar jackpot. It is the players responsibility to win a $300 mil jackpot and spoil their dreams. Then fulfill your dreams.

Tonight's official jackpot will be for more than $300mil. If it rolls then watch out for the national press to report this news. That is when it really gains momentum and grows like a weed. Uncontrollable. 

Good Luck everybody!!Party

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

Tonight's jackpot will barely be more than $300M. The lottery set the advertised jackpot based on projected sales, and last estimates put actual sales for tonight's draw at or slightly below the original projections. If the jackpot rolls it will start at $334M annuity.

Assuming no winners, I anticipate it will take about 5-6 weeks to reach the big B.

realtorjim

Quote: Originally posted by mikeintexas on Dec 30, 2015

I disagree.  Say the pay period on your job ended on Dec. 30 and they kept you a few days or a week (or more) behind before issuing your paycheck as do many companies - the salary earned was in 2015 and would be included in your return due by April 18th*.  Now, while I'm fairly certain I'm right, I'm not positive... which is why you should consult a qualified and reputable financial expert before claiming. That said,  I'd be willing to bet a JP would be just like any other income**, counted when you "earn" it, not when you get it.

*Yes,  April 18th, not the 15th as is usually the case.  Emancipation Day, a federal holiday, falls on the 16th next yr., which is a Saturday, but since it's on a weekend, the fed. govt. is "celebrating" (read:  shutting down fed. offices, including the IRS) the holiday on Friday.  We have three extra days this year to get our tax returns postmarked and I think in 2017 we'll still get a couple days more, due by April 17.

** I don't understand why jackpots are taxed as ordinary income .  (How is a win of several hundred million classified as "ordinary"?) Any large win^ + your regular income is taxed at the highest rate of 39.6%. (^over $415k+ for single filers)   It would be nice for a win to be tax-free, but barring that, it should be taxed along the lines of some flat rate (10% would be more than fair) or even like capital gains, the highest rate which is 20% for top tax bracket filers.  I'd write my representative, but....

Mikeintexas, If I am thinking correctly, and there is not a guarantee that I am, you are referring to constructive receipt.  Feasibly that would occur at the point the ticket becomes a winning ticket and you would be correct.  However, for constructive receipt to be valid the money needs to have been available for use (access to the money).  Since the lottery disclosures it takes two weeks to receive each states portion to pay the winning claim, it seems constructive receipt would be at the point the money is actually able to be claimed (two weeks after the draw) and not upon the draw date itself.  As such, the tax due would then be the 2017 date.  Just something to ponder of how one day can make a difference.

mikeintexas's avatarmikeintexas

I remember reading something about that, but it was written by a lawyer and made my eyes glaze over.  As I recall, it had something to do with electing for cash value or the annuity.  Since here in Texas we have to opt for either method when we buy our tickets and cannot change when claiming, I didn't even try to make sense of it.    As you say, one day can make a difference and as I said, winners definitely need to get qualified financial advice before claiming.

Groppo's avatarGroppo

No.

Please, just let it be one honest person who will do good things with it, and re-instate confidence in the human race.

For instance, should I be the sole winner, I will make contributions totalling to about 3 million  (yes, if I win the 185 million after taxes)

.75 (x 2) million to childrens' hospitals, and then some to the Gaylon twins, who were joined at the chest at birth. Those twins, still living, are about 58 years old. Imagine dealing with that.  I believe they live with a sibling, at their Ohio home.

I don't wish to "poo-poo" on what people, especially tonight's winner has planned for the loot.  So, whoever wins it, wins it.

But, if you are the sole winner, and you happen to be reading this post-reply, please cut me in for .4 (< half a million) million. OK? Honestly, it would be just for me. Please, that's all I'll ever want from a lotto.   Then, I can get a modest little home, and live there, with a cat or two. Thanking you in advance.

Mr. Groppo

(boy, I sound like a real sap, don't I?)

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by mrlottojackpot on Dec 28, 2015

Please tell me where else you can buy something for set $2 dollars and return get $184,200,000. Dont worry ill wait. Its got to be hit by someone sometime. If you dont buy ticket you are guanteed to lose 100% of time. Ill gladly spend venting machine money to win millions. There are $20,$30, and $50 scratch offs that dont even sniff that kind of money.

Yes, I agree. And I only want a little part of it.
So, I know, like you said, eventually someone will hit it. And to that person, I ask for just a fraction.

Yes, I know that if that happens, they may be swamped, but gee,  I've been playing for so doggone long.

realtorjim

Quote: Originally posted by Groppo on Dec 30, 2015

So, I know, like you said, eventually someone will hit it. And to that person, I ask for just a fraction.

Yes, I know that if that happens, they may be swamped, but gee,  I've been playing for so doggone long.

Amazing, Groppo!  You must know I am currently reading your last two posts, and you also must know my Powerball ticket for tonight is a jackpot winning ticket!  A straight out gift would have a terrible backlash to me tax wise, thus I would not be taking that approach.  However, the tax laws do have certain reprieves and as such I have an intention for a LP current member sweepstakes as a way to share a little within our LP family.  This would give you an equal chance at a little part of it.  Smiley

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by Groppo on Dec 30, 2015

Speaking of playing for so long.

I've been cleaning out my garage and I came across a box containing old tax returns. Old as in 1985. No idea why I kept them this long. Anyway, in that year's tax return was an envelope full of Ohio lotto tickets. Printed by dot matrix printers. About 2 inches high, and maybe 10 inches long. Left to right long, not top to bottom. I forgot how they used to print them. Back then, those tickets cost $1 for 2 plays. As I recall, the jackpot was $250,000. That year, I got 5 out 6 numbers which paid $898.

Moral of the story....

I've been playing at least 30 years, probably longer. And the best I have done is $898.

So when I have an urge to spend $10, $20 on MM, PB, or some other lotto game with stupid odds. I just think back over 30 years and $898.

I'm in tonight's PB with 1 tic. Good luck to ME.

ArizonaDream's avatarArizonaDream

Mega Millions is currently at 117  130 million, only $1 to play and slightly better odds.  Illinois lotto is also a buck, 18+ million right now. Those two games are where my lottery spending went this week. 

Best wishes to those who did play PB.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that income is taxed based on when it is received, not when it is earned.

ArizonaDream's avatarArizonaDream

Quote: Originally posted by LottoMetro on Dec 30, 2015

Tonight's jackpot will barely be more than $300M. The lottery set the advertised jackpot based on projected sales, and last estimates put actual sales for tonight's draw at or slightly below the original projections. If the jackpot rolls it will start at $334M annuity.

Assuming no winners, I anticipate it will take about 5-6 weeks to reach the big B.

334 it is

$205 Million Cash Value

dearlord

Hmmm.  Didn't it go from a 45 million increase to a 34 million increase?  Did they over jump it just to get it to 300 million?  And really you thinking 10 more rollovers til it hits a billion?  I'd say 4 more, max.  Next one would be 380isd i'm sure.  Then what... 450 which would easily bump to 500 before the drawing.  Then katie bar the doors if it doesn't hit then.

Quote: Originally posted by mikeintexas on Dec 30, 2015

As noted elsewhere, constructive receipt (sometimes "economic benefit") is the relevant doctrine. It can get complicated in some situations, but for most things it's fairly simple. At least as a practical matter you have constructive receipt when you first have the ability to get the money.

As far as a regular paycheck the easiest thing to do is just go with whatever is on your W-2 or 1099, which should reflect what you were paid during the calendar year. If you don't get your paycheck for the work you do the last week of December until the following year your employer won't have a deductible expense until the paycheck is issued, and the income from that check should be reflected in the W-2 or 1099 for the year in which the check is issued. On the off chance the check is dated for 2015 but not  given to employees until 2016, or it bounces, or anything else that's not your own fault prevents you from cashing the check in 2015 you can file your return using the income you actually collected. You'd need to include a note explaining why your claimed income and W-2/1099 don't agree, but it's doable. I suppose that could theoretically cause the IRS to adjust your employer's return, which presumably  includes that income as a deduction. That might make things at work unpleasant, so it may not be worth it for a modest sum of money. By the time you file you'll know if you got the money eventually, and how much are you likely to earn by investing the taxes for another year?

The lottery is one of the things where constructive receipt can get complicated. I used to consider a lottery ticket to be rather like a check dated the day of the drawing. Until the drawing it's a check for $0.00, and as soon as the drawing is completed it may be a check for millions of dollars. Having read more about constructive receipt, including opinions from some legal cases, I've got a different opinion. Of course it's an opinion about the law, and only a bad attorney would offer absolutes in a legal opinion under any circumstances that aren't very straightforward. My current opinion is that, at least for the federal government, constructive receipt of a large lottery prize doesn't occur until the claim has been validated and the money has been irrevocably transferred. One of the requirements for constructive receipt is that the money is irrevocably set aside for the payee. In theory the lottery (or multiple lotteries in the case of multi-state games) could electronically transfer the money to an account dedicated to the winner just minutes after they have the drawing result, but until they validate the claim they can't do it irrevocably.

I think we're all inclined to view the IRS as trying to collect taxes ASAP. There may be some truth to that, but they also want to maximize collections. As it happens, there's at least one case involving a dispute between a lottery winner and the IRS over when the winner had constructive receipt of his winnings. The drawing was in mid-December, and winner claimed the income was taxable that year. The IRS claimed they were taxable until the following year, when a higher tax rate was in effect. The IRS prevailed, based on two points. One was that the money hadn't been transferred irrevocably to an account for the winner's benefit. The other was that the winner wasn't a winner until the validation process was completed. Those two issues are interrelated. Until the claim was validated there was a possibility that something would result in the claim being denied, and therefore the money could be returned to other accounts, used to pay creditors, or whatever, and never be paid to the winner.

Based on that I figure the IRS shouldn't offer a legal argument that you've won in one year if the claim isn't validated and the money irrevocably transferred in that year. Since the ticket can't possibly be validated until presented that would mean you can sit on it until the last possible day and owe taxes based on the date of validation or money transfer. Of course just because the IRS presented one argument in the past doesn't guarantee they won't offer a different legal theory when you win the lottery. A state government doesn't need to worry about a previous IRS argument, because (unless there's a similar state case I haven't found) the state can have a completely straight face while telling the court "we never thought that was how it works". Whether it's a state or the IRS I'm fairly confident that the IRS' prior argument is valid, but if the state or IRS isn't cooperative you'll need at least one judge to agree.

"I don't understand why jackpots are taxed as ordinary income ."

Because there's no category for extraordinary income, whether it's from being a grossly overpaid CEO, a grossly overpaid entertainer, or from something that is unique to one particular year. I totally get the idea that there are unusual situations in which somebody earns far more in one particular year than they earn in other years and see the sense of offering some kind of break to those people, but that's just not how it works. While I understand how it must be painful to send the IRS $40 million even if you're keeping $60 million I can't really muster any sympathy (for other people, that is; if it happens to me I'm sure I'll feel the pain much more), because it's still enough to live very comfortable without ever needing some other income ever again. Where I do feel sympathy for others is when somebody wins a relatively modest amount.

In the past income averaging offered a bit of help, by treating the income as if it had been earned over 5 years. As a simplification, if you had typical income of 50k and won $1 million you'd have a total income of $1.25 million over 5 years, for an average of 250k, and the taxes would be 5 times the amount owed on 250k. You tax brackets would vary depending on the actual amount, but more of the money would be taxed at lower rates. That was repealed quite some time ago, though there's still a program for farmers and fishermen. If you win now you'll just have to deal with pocketing less than the advertised amount of the prize.

Quote: Originally posted by dearlord on Dec 31, 2015

Hmmm.  Didn't it go from a 45 million increase to a 34 million increase?  Did they over jump it just to get it to 300 million?  And really you thinking 10 more rollovers til it hits a billion?  I'd say 4 more, max.  Next one would be 380isd i'm sure.  Then what... 450 which would easily bump to 500 before the drawing.  Then katie bar the doors if it doesn't hit then.

For any given advertised prize sales vary a bit for Wednesday or Saturday drawings, so that may explain some of it. Still, I thought from the start that the increase to 300 was a bit optimistic. Maybe a calculated risk, since the psychological value of advertising 300 instead of 295 is worth more than just the real difference of $5 million.

Accepting the $300 million figure as realistic I was guessing conservatively that the progression might be along the lines of 300, 340, 400, 500, 650, 850. That 340 figure may not be conservative enough, but it may turn out that the currently advertised value is conservative and it will reach 340 by Saturday evening. I'm not sure anybody, including MUSL, can really be sure just what happens after that.

Counting tonight, 10 more rollovers to reach (or pass) $1 billion means an average increase of just $70 million. The new matrix and jackpot fatigue may be serious factors, but I think 70 is extremely conservative. I'm virtually positive that my guess at 650 > 850 is on the low side, and think 500 > 650 is probably also low. 2 1/2 years ago we had a jump from $350 > 590, but a year ago we got 394 > 564. That's an increase of only 72% as much despite starting from a bigger jackpot. If the rate of increase is even lower today, which seems very likely, my 400>500 might be fairly realistic, but at some point I expect people will still get crazy. I'd figure at least 3 more (after tonight), probably 4 or 5, and maybe 6. My best guess would be 5, and I'd expect that to take us well past $1 billion.

I haven't done the math, but we may already be at the point where there's a better chance of reaching $1 billion then ever before. We'll just have to wait to see if we get the rollovers that tell us what the increases really will be.

Skeptical

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

My estimate was quite conservative but also considerate of other factors such as national weather and Mega Millions. Based on appetite in the last Powerball runs near this level I think it will take longer than many think. Don't forget that MUSL can elect to take up to 5% of sales for the reserve pool (starting end of January this is changing to a value that depends on the size of the prize).

It actually turns out that Wednesday had a slight last-minute boost in sales that pushed the numbers a bit over the original projections. It put the annuity at something like $301.8 million. Christmas bonuses must have been good this year Wink

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by travelintrucker on Dec 27, 2015

Billion dollars before February? It's getting pretty exciting!

Well, more than likely, if it does get there, then we have to consider how many splits there will be : ( 

I don't like splits (except when talking about investments, of which I currently have none).

I want the lotto prize to go to one person who will have half a mind, and do good things with it.

(and please, if you are the sole winner of this Saturday's PowerBall, please, please, please, I ask for just half a million .5 million ($500,000). I will spend it on the following items:  1) A modest house 2) Ram 3500 with Cummins diesel engine 6-speed  3) the rest of the money will go for bills, fuel, etc.

If this happens, I depend on the kindness of the winner, and their realization that I have nothing to give, and would further ask that I not be obligated for receiving your kind gift.)

(sounds like I should add a "pa rum papum pum", at the end of that, huh)

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by ArizonaDream on Dec 30, 2015

Mega Millions is currently at 117  130 million, only $1 to play and slightly better odds.  Illinois lotto is also a buck, 18+ million right now. Those two games are where my lottery spending went this week. 

Best wishes to those who did play PB.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that income is taxed based on when it is received, not when it is earned.

I sure hope the last line in your comment is true.   I drive a short distance from the the state in which I live, to the tax-free-lotto state where I play.

Should I be the sole winner, I plan to move to the 0% lotto-tax state, in which I'll have gotten my new apartment, driver's license, bank account, etc.

Then, it's party time.

(and on average, the young, white women there have considerably larger kazungas)

Groppo's avatarGroppo

Quote: Originally posted by dearlord on Dec 31, 2015

Yeah, your figures are about as right as anyone's guess.

But, remember, back in 2011, when one of the lottos got up to 635 or something? 

It went up, like 100,000,000 (one hundred million) in one day, waiting for the next drawing.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

I'll bet anyone $50 bucks the jackpot reaches 900 mill.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story