Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$ick of this USA country & will move when I HIT BIG JACKPOT

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 11 months ago by nist7seven.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What country will YOU MOVE TOO ???

Canada [ 7 ]  [21.88%]
Australia [ 3 ]  [9.38%]
Sweden [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
England [ 2 ]  [6.25%]
Norway [ 1 ]  [3.12%]
Germany [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Japan [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
New Zealand [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
France [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
none of above, see my post, to paranoid to tell [ 19 ]  [59.38%]
Total Valid Votes [ 32 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 10 ]  
AlecWest's avatar - alec
Vader, Washington
United States
Member #29697
January 5, 2006
108 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2016, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Assuming I took a lump-sum payout in my home state (Washington) - which has no state income tax - I'd be tempted to move to either Guam or American Samoa.  U.S. currency is used in both territories.  A single postage stamp would still get a letter to anywhere else in the U.S.A. (assuming it isn't "lost" in the mail, hehe).  And both territories have broadband internet available - though American Samoa is renowned for having the most expensive Internet in the U.S.A.graph of Internet costsOf course, as a lottery millionaire, I think I could afford it - as well as the cost of air-conditioning (grin).  It would be a good way to get away from the lion's share of hassles most winners face while still being "in America."

AlecWest's avatar - alec
    Vader, Washington
    United States
    Member #29697
    January 5, 2006
    108 Posts
    Posted: January 8, 2016, 11:29 am - IP Logged

Just a PS to my last post.  One of the best things a winner can do to "ditch" media hounds and others who might seek you out is to take an immediate road trip the moment you get the money.  In my case, I think my road trip would take me to Guam.  I used to live there (2 years in the 70s) and really enjoyed it.  Back then, it wasn't all that affordable.  But now, thanks to Japanese tourism (a lot), hotels end up paying most of the taxes on the island - and living there can be rather affordable.  Guam, to Japan, is like Hawaii is to Americans - the vacation destination.

I'd be highly tempted to move there.  It's a U.S. territory.  English is the norm.  U.S. currency is used.  A single postage stamp will get a letter to anywhere else in the USA.  Cable-TV offerings rival those offered on the mainland.  And people who live there have access to 50mbps residential broadband.  I did a brief search and found a real decent home with central air-conditioning for only $500k.  So, I'd probably take a road trip (by air) to Guam and spend about a month staying in one of the very nice hotels.  And during that time, I'd search for and buy a decent home ... moving there when the sale is set in stone.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
      Member #164603
      March 8, 2015
      599 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2016, 11:34 am - IP Logged

Just a PS to my last post.  One of the best things a winner can do to "ditch" media hounds and others who might seek you out is to take an immediate road trip the moment you get the money.  In my case, I think my road trip would take me to Guam.  I used to live there (2 years in the 70s) and really enjoyed it.  Back then, it wasn't all that affordable.  But now, thanks to Japanese tourism (a lot), hotels end up paying most of the taxes on the island - and living there can be rather affordable.  Guam, to Japan, is like Hawaii is to Americans - the vacation destination.

I'd be highly tempted to move there.  It's a U.S. territory.  English is the norm.  U.S. currency is used.  A single postage stamp will get a letter to anywhere else in the USA.  Cable-TV offerings rival those offered on the mainland.  And people who live there have access to 50mbps residential broadband.  I did a brief search and found a real decent home with central air-conditioning for only $500k.  So, I'd probably take a road trip (by air) to Guam and spend about a month staying in one of the very nice hotels.  And during that time, I'd search for and buy a decent home ... moving there when the sale is set in stone.

That's funny because Hawaii is already the japanese' Hawaii. And Okinawa LOL

As for road trip, I think that's a great idea, and as for moving, I think Hawaii, Alaska and the US Virgin Islands are already far enough from the spectacle.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
        Vader, Washington
        United States
        Member #29697
        January 5, 2006
        108 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2016, 11:47 am - IP Logged

That's funny because Hawaii is already the japanese' Hawaii. And Okinawa LOL

As for road trip, I think that's a great idea, and as for moving, I think Hawaii, Alaska and the US Virgin Islands are already far enough from the spectacle.

Yeah, lots of Japanese tourists on Hawaii, too.  But living in Hawaii is pretty expensive.  Alaska, too, for that matter (and too cold for me).  In Hawaii, tourism is one of its major industries.  On Guam, it is the number one industry ... with hotel taxes paying a lot of the taxes residents used to pay.

Anyhoo, I mentioned the Guam alternative because I used to live there ... and enjoyed it even back then.  Typhoons are no more of an issue than hurricanes would be in South Carolina or Florida.  No tornadoes (that I'm aware of, hehe).  Occasionally, they have earthquakes - though I never felt one while I lived there.  No active volcanoes (like Hawaii).  But, it is hot and humid there.  Air conditioning, in homes and cars, is not a luxury - it's a must-have item unless you're used to (and like) jungle living.  And there are several daily flights from their international airport back to the mainland - if you really want to return for a visit.

Point is, there are a lot of U.S. territories people can move to.  You don't have to become a foreigner to escape a lot of the BS winners encounter.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          599 Posts
          Posted: January 8, 2016, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, lots of Japanese tourists on Hawaii, too.  But living in Hawaii is pretty expensive.  Alaska, too, for that matter (and too cold for me).  In Hawaii, tourism is one of its major industries.  On Guam, it is the number one industry ... with hotel taxes paying a lot of the taxes residents used to pay.

Anyhoo, I mentioned the Guam alternative because I used to live there ... and enjoyed it even back then.  Typhoons are no more of an issue than hurricanes would be in South Carolina or Florida.  No tornadoes (that I'm aware of, hehe).  Occasionally, they have earthquakes - though I never felt one while I lived there.  No active volcanoes (like Hawaii).  But, it is hot and humid there.  Air conditioning, in homes and cars, is not a luxury - it's a must-have item unless you're used to (and like) jungle living.  And there are several daily flights from their international airport back to the mainland - if you really want to return for a visit.

Point is, there are a lot of U.S. territories people can move to.  You don't have to become a foreigner to escape a lot of the BS winners encounter.

The last time I saw news on Guam was that snaggle toothed guy who had a segment how Guam has no voting rights, it all looked a little poor and depressing, but that of course might have only been a snapshot of a rougher neighborhood. Plus I believe they have a snake problem and resorted to dropping poisoned rats from helicopters?

But it does look beautiful otherwise, same currency is a benefit and it's on the list.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
            Vader, Washington
            United States
            Member #29697
            January 5, 2006
            108 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2016, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

The last time I saw news on Guam was that snaggle toothed guy who had a segment how Guam has no voting rights, it all looked a little poor and depressing, but that of course might have only been a snapshot of a rougher neighborhood. Plus I believe they have a snake problem and resorted to dropping poisoned rats from helicopters?

But it does look beautiful otherwise, same currency is a benefit and it's on the list.

Hehehe, actually, one of my neighbors has snaggly teeth (grin).  Wherever you go in the United States (or its territories), you can find people "living on the edge."  Here are a couple of websites you might want to check out.  The biggest grocery store chain on Guam is Payless Supermarkets.  Here is a recent weekly grocery store ad.   Hmmm ... I can get an 8oz. jar of Folger's instant coffee cheaper on Guam than I can get one locally.  Anyhoo, this'll give you an idea of the grocery prices you'd encounter now on Guam.  And living spaces?  Here is the $500k home I mentioned earlier.  Like this home, all the decent homes are located in the hills.

This home even comes with a full-house generator in case of power-failures ... something that occasionally happens during the most severe weather.

Snakes?  Well, defining "snake problem" is relative.  The brown tree snakes currently slithering around on Guam are the only known snakes on Guam - which used to be snakeless.  But guess what, hehe?  As soon as the snakes were accidentally introduced to the island, the rat population took a nosedive - and continues to do so.  The thing that ticks off locals is that the snakes also eat native birds - which are an attraction for some people (and tourists).  Beyond that, the brown tree snake is non-poisonous - which can't be said for the diamondback rattlers I occasionally see in my neighborhood.

BTW, on voting rights, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_in_Guam for a clarification.  To me, this would be a non issue ... especially when it comes to the Presidential election.  For my views on that, see my (snicker) Presidential campaign website (and realize that I put it up, tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek, hehe).

East of Columbus, OH
              United States
              Member #120843
              December 28, 2011
              447 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2016, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Wife has already decided that we are leaving Ohio and moving to Key West, FL when we win the Powerball on Saturday.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                Vader, Washington
                United States
                Member #29697
                January 5, 2006
                108 Posts
                Posted: January 8, 2016, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

Wife has already decided that we are leaving Ohio and moving to Key West, FL when we win the Powerball on Saturday.

Another good choice.  Your wife is wise (grin).

One additional note on the brown tree snakes on Guam - from Wikipedia, quote, "Currently, the brown tree snake population on Guam is declining with an equilibrium population size predicted to be roughly 30 to 50 snakes per hectare (2.5 acres).[16] The decline in snake population may be identified as a result of depleted food resources, adult mortality and/or suppressed reproduction.[16] That is, the brown tree snake population on Guam has exceeded the carrying capacity of the island."

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                  Member #59354
                  March 13, 2008
                  3962 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2016, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

If I won the current PB jackpot I would stay here in the US and spend about half on ranch and farmland and start a few processing

plants with all products going to help the poor.   I have no desire to be rich and would do as much with it as possible.  I would set

the other half aside as operating capital.  I also think I would start several car donation places that would buy auctioned cars cheap

then fix them up to give away to people who need basic transportation to improve there status.  When funds depleted I would sell

off each asset little by little to help fund one the remaining projects until everything was gone.  I figure doing this I might be able to

go through it all by the time I die.   

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                    Vader, Washington
                    United States
                    Member #29697
                    January 5, 2006
                    108 Posts
                    Posted: January 8, 2016, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

If I won the current PB jackpot I would stay here in the US and spend about half on ranch and farmland and start a few processing

plants with all products going to help the poor.   I have no desire to be rich and would do as much with it as possible.  I would set

the other half aside as operating capital.  I also think I would start several car donation places that would buy auctioned cars cheap

then fix them up to give away to people who need basic transportation to improve there status.  When funds depleted I would sell

off each asset little by little to help fund one the remaining projects until everything was gone.  I figure doing this I might be able to

go through it all by the time I die.   

RL

A laudable and good plan.  Like you, I prefer not "living large."  Perhaps the first thing I'd do is take a "financial planning" course online - to be my own financial planner.  After setting aside enough money to realistically see me through the rest of my life, I'd put the remaining money into a charitable trust - to be given away to certain needy people/causes in perpetuity (even after I die).  I've always thought that too much money in the hands of one person is a bit obscene.

wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
                      Philadelphia, PA
                      United States
                      Member #153774
                      March 24, 2014
                      849 Posts
                      Posted: January 8, 2016, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Oh wow.  Interesting poll.  I would buy a house in Las Vegas somewhere,  CA in the countryside,  Orlando Fl, stop by where my buddy is at in Aiken SC and buy a few homes and from there.   Go to springbreak.  Someone is going to have a heart attack.  Scary it is.

KCMO
                        United States
                        Member #163681
                        February 7, 2015
                        56 Posts
                        Posted: January 8, 2016, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Oh wow.  Interesting poll.  I would buy a house in Las Vegas somewhere,  CA in the countryside,  Orlando Fl, stop by where my buddy is at in Aiken SC and buy a few homes and from there.   Go to springbreak.  Someone is going to have a heart attack.  Scary it is.

Yeah staying in the USA here too, no way I'm moving anywhere else. 

I'd just buy a relatively nice home in the nice part of town here where I live. 

Honestly for me it's probably too much work/hassle to own multiple homes. There are plenty of NICE hotels and vacation rentals on VRBO and whatnot to be perfectly suit your millionaire tastes if you go to Vegas/LA/NYC/Miami/London/France/Hong Kong/Hawaii/etc.