$334 MILLION: Powerball jackpot rolls into the new year

Dec 31, 2015, 8:24 am (79 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

This Saturday, lottery players will have the chance to buy tickets for the largest Powerball jackpot of the year.

Of course, it's also the first Powerball jackpot of the year.

Kidding aside, when nobody won last night's $301.8 million jackpot, the new Powerball jackpot estimate for Sat., Jan. 2, grew to $334 million, which is the largest jackpot for the popular multi-state game since Feb. 2015.

The lump-sum cash payout value of Saturday's Powerball jackpot is $205 million — the 16th-largest ever recorded in United States lottery history.  (See top 25 annuity and cash values below.)

Players looking to calculate what they would receive after the initial federal and state tax withholdings can find it all pre-calculated for each Powerball jurisdiction on the Jackpot Analysis page at USA Mega, a web site devoted to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery games.

The largest Powerball jackpot ever awarded was on May 18, 2013, when Gloria C. MacKenzie of Zephyrhills, Florida, held the solitary winning ticket for a grand prize worth nearly $600 million (see Winner of record $590.5 million Powerball lottery jackpot announced, Lottery Post, June 5, 2013).

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs.  For example, the original estimate for Wednesday's drawing was $300 million, but by the time all the proceeds were counted just before draw-time, the jackpot had swelled to $301.8 million.

The mammoth prize is the result of 17 consecutive draws without a winner.  The run-up started as a $40 million prize on Nov. 7.

The winning numbers for Wednesday, December 30, 2015 were 12, 36, 38, 54, and 61, with Powerball number 22.  The Power Play number was 3.

Even though nobody won the jackpot Wednesday, 2 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 1 from California and 1 from Pennsylvania.

None of the second-prize winners purchased the Power Play option.  If they had purchased the Power Play option for an extra $1 per play, their second-prize win would have been automatically doubled to $2 million.

Power Play is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered in Power Play is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts.  By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

41 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $50,000.  Of those tickets, 5 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $150,000, and 2 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $68,739 this drawing.

Following the Wednesday drawing, the Powerball annuity jackpot estimate was raised $32.2 million from its previous amount of $301.8 million. The cash value was raised by $19.7 million from its previous amount of $185.3 million.

The next Powerball drawing will take place Saturday night at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is increased according to a fixed prize schedule, which can be found on the Powerball Drawing Detail page at USA Mega, as well as on the Powerball Prize Payouts page at Lottery Post.

Powerball is now played in 44 states, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time.  Tickets cost $2 each.

Powerball lottery results are published within minutes of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com).  The USA Mega Web site provides lottery players in-depth information about the United States's two biggest multi-state lottery games, Mega Millions and Powerball.

Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time

Saturday's Powerball jackpot currently stands as the 19th-largest lottery jackpot of all time in the United States.  That position may rise before the drawing Saturday night, as lotteries are typically conservative in their initial estimates, and brisk sales may push the jackpot estimate higher by draw time.

1. Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 - Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
  2. Mega Millions: $648 million, Dec. 17, 2013 - California, Georgia
  3. Powerball: $590.5 million, May 18, 2013 - Florida
  4. Powerball: $587.5 million, Nov. 28, 2012 - Arizona, Missouri
  5. Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 11, 2015 - North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
  6. Powerball: $448.4 million, Aug. 7, 2013 - Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
  7. Powerball: $425.3 million, Feb. 19, 2014 - California
  8. Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 - Florida, Maryland
  9. Powerball: $399.4 million, Sep. 18, 2013 - South Carolina
  10. Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 - Georgia, New Jersey
  11. Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. 4, 2011 - Idaho, Washington
  12. Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 - Nebraska
  13. The Big Game: $363 million, May 9, 2000 - Illinois, Michigan
  14. Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 - Oregon
  15. Powerball: $338.3 million, Mar. 23, 2013 - New Jersey
  16. Powerball: $337 million, Aug. 15, 2012 - Michigan
  17. Powerball: $336.4 million, Feb. 11, 2012 - Rhode Island
  18. Mega Millions: $336 million, Aug. 28, 2009 - California, New York
  19. Powerball: $334 million, Jan. 2, 2016 - Preliminary estimate, not won yet
  20. The Big Game: $331 million, Apr. 16, 2002 - Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey
  21. Mega Millions: $330 million, Aug. 31, 2007 - Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, Virginia
  22. Mega Millions: $326 million, Nov. 4, 2014 - New York
  23. Mega Millions: $319 million, Mar. 25, 2011 - New York
  24. Mega Millions: $315 million, Nov. 15, 2005 - California
  25. Powerball: $314.9 million, Dec. 25, 2002 - West Virginia

The number of jackpots in the top 25, by lottery game, are:

• Powerball: 13
  • Mega Millions: 10
  • The Big Game: 2

The Big Game is the original name of Mega Millions, from the game's first drawing on Sep. 6, 1996 through May 14, 2002.  The name was changed to Mega Millions starting with the May 17, 2002 drawing.

Top 25 cash value jackpots

Since many lottery winners collect their winnings in cash, the lump-sum payout is an important measure of what a winning ticket could be worth.

Looking at the cash value, the upcoming Powerball jackpot ranks as the 16th-largest cash value in U.S. history.

1. Mega Millions: $471 million cash, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) - Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
  2. Powerball: $384.7 million cash, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.5 million annuity) - Arizona, Missouri
  3. Powerball: $381.1 million cash, Feb. 11, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) - North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
  4. Powerball: $370.9 million cash, May 18, 2013 ($590.5 million annuity) - Florida
  5. Mega Millions: $347.6 million cash, Dec. 17, 2013 ($648 million annuity) - California, Georgia
  6. Powerball: $258.2 million cash, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.4 million annuity) - Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
  7. Mega Millions: $240 million cash, Jan. 4, 2011 ($380 million annuity) - Idaho, Washington
  8. Mega Millions: $233.1 million cash, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) - Georgia, New Jersey
  9. Mega Millions: $230.9 million cash, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) - Florida, Maryland
  10. Powerball: $227.8 million cash, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.3 million annuity) - California
  11. Powerball: $224.7 million cash, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) - Michigan
  12. Powerball: $223.3 million cash, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.4 million annuity) - South Carolina
  13. Mega Millions: $214 million cash, Aug. 28, 2009 ($336 million annuity) - California, New York
  14. Powerball: $211 million cash, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.3 million annuity) - New Jersey
  15. Powerball: $210 million cash, Feb. 11, 2012 ($336.4 million annuity) - Rhode Island
  16. Powerball: $205 million cash, Jan. 2, 2016 ($334 million annuity) - Preliminary estimate, not won yet
  17. Mega Millions: $202.9 million cash, Mar. 25, 2011 ($319 million annuity) - New York
  18. Mega Millions: $197.5 million cash, Nov. 4, 2014 ($326 million annuity) - New York
  19. Powerball: $197.4 million cash, Sep. 30, 2015 ($310.5 million annuity) - Michigan
  20. Mega Millions: $194.4 million cash, Aug. 31, 2007 ($330 million annuity) - Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, Virginia
  21. Mega Millions: $185 million cash, Nov. 15, 2005 ($315 million annuity) - California
  22. The Big Game: $180 million cash, May 9, 2000 ($363 million annuity) - Illinois, Michigan
  23. Mega Millions: $177.3 million cash, Jan. 16, 2015 ($270 million annuity) - Illinois
  24. Powerball: $177.3 million cash, Feb. 18, 2006 ($365 million annuity) - Nebraska
  25. Powerball: $170.5 million cash, Dec. 25, 2002 ($314.9 million annuity) - West Virginia

The number of jackpot cash values in the top 25, by lottery game, are:

• Mega Millions: 13
  • Powerball: 11
  • The Big Game: 1

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

gocart1's avatargocart1

Wow. What a great way to start the new year off. So will it roll over again  ? And how many times will it roll over.PartyUS FlagParty

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Dec 31, 2015

Wow. What a great way to start the new year off. So will it roll over again  ? And how many times will it roll over.PartyUS FlagParty

Opps. Sorry. Happy  New Year PartyUS FlagParty

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Dec 31, 2015

Opps. Sorry. Happy  New Year PartyUS FlagParty

Same to you!

Am thinking if Mega Millions is won tomorrow night, the Powerball will jump up even faster.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

should be most curious to see whar both pots are headed

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Disapprove hmmm. Ordinarily I would be ecstatic about a jackpot (CV) this high. However, can someone please post the ticket sales for the last 7 days to get the figures for the last two drawings?

I'm trying to figure out how the JP can have a $45 million jump from 255 to 300, but then fall back to a $34 million jump when the JP is higher. 

At this point in the game, each increase is always bigger than the previous jump. $9 million less equates to a big drop in sales from the week before.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Dec 31, 2015

Disapprove hmmm. Ordinarily I would be ecstatic about a jackpot (CV) this high. However, can someone please post the ticket sales for the last 7 days to get the figures for the last two drawings?

I'm trying to figure out how the JP can have a $45 million jump from 255 to 300, but then fall back to a $34 million jump when the JP is higher. 

At this point in the game, each increase is always bigger than the previous jump. $9 million less equates to a big drop in sales from the week before.

Probably a lot of Christmas gift tickets in the previous drawing.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Dec 31, 2015

Probably a lot of Christmas gift tickets in the previous drawing.

Can you imagine buying a Powerball/Mega Millions ticket for someone for Christmas and it winning? Eek

HoLeeKau's avatarHoLeeKau

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Dec 31, 2015

Can you imagine buying a Powerball/Mega Millions ticket for someone for Christmas and it winning? Eek

EEks!  If I ever bought tickets for someone else, I'd make sure to play the same numbers for myself.

music*'s avatarmusic*

If that Christmas gift was a winner then you would have a friend for life.

How nice and quiet the previous winners have been. Very little news about them in the media. They have learned from the past. One exception is Eddie Tipton.

Enjoy the New Year everybody!!

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

Quote: Originally posted by HoLeeKau on Dec 31, 2015

EEks!  If I ever bought tickets for someone else, I'd make sure to play the same numbers for myself.

Excellent idea.  I'm not sure I would remember to do it though.

Happy New Years!

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

I never have and never will give lottery tickets as a gift.  I also do not want to receive them as a gift!

BBLL's avatarBBLL

Where would you guys go on vacation at?

music*'s avatarmusic*

Somewhere in California. Along the Coast or into the Sierra Mountain range.Patriot

Quote: Originally posted by BBLL on Dec 31, 2015

Where would you guys go on vacation at?

Skeptical I think I'd rent a private island for a month once a year

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Dec 31, 2015

I tell my wife that we would be buying a private island in the Caribbean.

lejardin's avatarlejardin

Some place warm for several months, just disappear, maybe Tahiti.  See Ya!

Happy New Year LP members.  And of course, Good Luck for the next two major games!

Dance

travelintrucker's avatartravelintrucker

Is Powerball starting to get air time on tv? Has everyone started jumping in the game?

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Dec 31, 2015

On the one hand I really appreciate the appeal of that idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the inconveniences. Unless you're planning on a short camping trip you'll need an adequate power supply, a suitable source/supply of water, and you'll need to replenish food on a regular basis. They certainly aren't insurmountable problems, and the idea is obviously predicated on having plenty of money to pay the bills, but they're hassles you need to deal with.

Perhaps the real kicker is that there's a very good chance your private island won't really be as private as you may think. In many places all beaches are either owned by the public or there's an easement allowing the public to use the beach. The upside of having your not-really-private beach on an island is that  you won't have people just strolling by. The downside is that  anybody who  shows up will come by boat instead of walking, and that gives them easy access to the best beach on your island, which may be the one you prefer to use.

I'm inclined to think a fairly large piece of property on a larger, developed island is the better choice. It doesn't have as much romantic appeal when you're planning, but I think it's much more practical to really have. I've also considered that a boat might be an even better (or additional) choice, since it doesn't tie you to one place.

Redd55

My desires are modest. Someone won the CA SuperLotto Sat so it dropped down to the starting amount of 7 mil.  I went ahead and bought one ticket and what do you know someone won again last night. 7 mil translate into about 2.2 mil take home. Nothing to sniff at.  I wd be more than happy with a modest home and a new car.  If I won PB or Mega, I would buy a nicer house (but not too much nicer - property taxes are horrible), a truck and a car, take a vacation, and then set up charities.

BBLL's avatarBBLL

Quote: Originally posted by Redd55 on Dec 31, 2015

My desires are modest. Someone won the CA SuperLotto Sat so it dropped down to the starting amount of 7 mil.  I went ahead and bought one ticket and what do you know someone won again last night. 7 mil translate into about 2.2 mil take home. Nothing to sniff at.  I wd be more than happy with a modest home and a new car.  If I won PB or Mega, I would buy a nicer house (but not too much nicer - property taxes are horrible), a truck and a car, take a vacation, and then set up charities.

taxes are high

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

Quote: Originally posted by Redd55 on Dec 31, 2015

Who cares about property taxes when you've won Powerball/Mega Millions at the estimated prize amount they are advertised at right now.

You must already live in a mansion if you're worried about property taxes after winning millions.

Ohio has very high property  taxes. If I won I would buy a nice luxury home and could pay the property taxes off in advance for the next 30 years and still go on vacation, set up a charity, buy brand new cars and still have the majority of my millions left.

Redd55

That's the difference between you and me -- I dont want to unnecessarily give money to the gov so they can waste it. I could find much better uses for it charity wise.  I love how some people always have a bug up their butts about how others spend their imaginary winnings.  smh

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by travelintrucker on Dec 31, 2015

Is Powerball starting to get air time on tv? Has everyone started jumping in the game?

Yes, saw it on the local and national news today.  Good luck and Happy New Year!

Bleudog101

Yes, saw it on the local and national news today.  I think my favorites are from Manhattan showing hordes of people buying tickets, though hadn't seen that yet.  Good Luck and Happy New Year!

GGStarlings's avatarGGStarlings

Quote: Originally posted by HoLeeKau on Dec 31, 2015

OH YES.  Get a duplicate while you're at it.

Oh, at least a month.  In the endlessly sunny season, preferred.  Sun Smiley

But would there be wifi for electronically reporting such states of bliss to the Lottery Post forum?

jjtheprince

It won't be won until EVERY possible number combination is sold, bank on it.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Party

Happy New Year to all!

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Dec 31, 2015

Party

Happy New Year to all!

Partysame to you too,Dpoly1 Party

lets hope 2016 will be a lucky year 4 all of us

'cept for the whiners and trolls

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Just for fun- PB alternate ending-

The jp keeps rolling over until it gets to with a couple of thousand dollars of the much anticipated $1B mark and then because 'an official' is about to sing like a canary the MUSL pulls the plug on PB.

Scared

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

$400+ million if no winner Saturday.......

Not sure if they are projecting high on purpose (self-fulfilling prophecy) or if these are legitimate expectations. Given that, I would now estimate 3-4 weeks to reach the big B.

BBLL's avatarBBLL

Quote: Originally posted by lejardin on Dec 31, 2015

Some place warm for several months, just disappear, maybe Tahiti.  See Ya!

Happy New Year LP members.  And of course, Good Luck for the next two major games!

Dance

I want to go to key west

erdie

It would be great to see the funds split up more often and Maryland and Washington DC included, hey lottery post Maryland wants a slice of the pie tooSad Wavey

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Quote: Originally posted by erdie on Jan 1, 2016

It would be great to see the funds split up more often and Maryland and Washington DC included, hey lottery post Maryland wants a slice of the pie tooSad Wavey

I think Maryland has had a good piece of that pie.  If you look back at Todd's original story you will see in the top 25 jackpots Maryland took spots #1, #8 and #21. 

Happy New Year!

Prob988

In spite of all the enthusiasm for it, the real record set by this lottery sequence is the lowest ever observed expectation values for jackpots exceeding 300 million annuity.    For this drawing it is a very, very, very, very modest 0.51, meaning it's not even close to a "good bet."

Before the massive worsening of odds in both MM and Powerball, expectation values were often in the range of 0.9 (close to Casino odds) and even from time to time exceeded 1.00.

Calculating sales expectations from the current jackpot, as currently defined by the lottery for the $334M annuity jackpot of roughly $65M representing 32.5M tickets sold, the probabilities for various numbers of winners are given in this table below:

k, number of winners p(m,k)
0 89.07%
1 10.31%
2 0.60%
3 0.02%

From these figures we see that the highest probability, 89%, is that 32.5 million tickets will not produce the dream jackpot for any purchaser.

The shift to low expectation values with ever higher odds against winning, by the way, seems not to be working as intended.   In both MM and Powerball, sales are way down.

It is highly probable that the jackpot will roll again this time, and likely that it will roll several times.   It is possible that the expectation value will go higher, but it's nowhere near a "good bet" right now.  The fact is that now it will generally take more than 20 draws, ten weeks (or more) in order for a Powerball jackpot to enjoy "good bet" status.    Any jackpot doing so would need to set a new record.

As we talk about one billion, we can expect, given current trends, for the Powerball odds to rise again and again until they are one in a billion and roll over for years and yeras while people continue to lose interest in the game.

I hope that this is not too much of a downer for anyone enjoying a fantasy, but if you buy a ticket - and I confess I bought one - that's what you're paying for, a fantasy and nothing else.

travelintrucker's avatartravelintrucker

That would suck!

Quote: Originally posted by Prob988 on Jan 1, 2016

In spite of all the enthusiasm for it, the real record set by this lottery sequence is the lowest ever observed expectation values for jackpots exceeding 300 million annuity.    For this drawing it is a very, very, very, very modest 0.51, meaning it's not even close to a "good bet."

Before the massive worsening of odds in both MM and Powerball, expectation values were often in the range of 0.9 (close to Casino odds) and even from time to time exceeded 1.00.

Calculating sales expectations from the current jackpot, as currently defined by the lottery for the $334M annuity jackpot of roughly $65M representing 32.5M tickets sold, the probabilities for various numbers of winners are given in this table below:

0 89.07%
1 10.31%
2 0.60%
3 0.02%

From these figures we see that the highest probability, 89%, is that 32.5 million tickets will not produce the dream jackpot for any purchaser.

The shift to low expectation values with ever higher odds against winning, by the way, seems not to be working as intended.   In both MM and Powerball, sales are way down.

It is highly probable that the jackpot will roll again this time, and likely that it will roll several times.   It is possible that the expectation value will go higher, but it's nowhere near a "good bet" right now.  The fact is that now it will generally take more than 20 draws, ten weeks (or more) in order for a Powerball jackpot to enjoy "good bet" status.    Any jackpot doing so would need to set a new record.

As we talk about one billion, we can expect, given current trends, for the Powerball odds to rise again and again until they are one in a billion and roll over for years and yeras while people continue to lose interest in the game.

I hope that this is not too much of a downer for anyone enjoying a fantasy, but if you buy a ticket - and I confess I bought one - that's what you're paying for, a fantasy and nothing else.

lol.....I think the days of "fair bet" jackpots are over.....

Advertised annuity would be roughly $1.5 billion before the after-tax cash could be considered "fair bet"

There was a paper written several years ago, forget the author, but he derived a constant for rollover jackpot games that determines the optimal prize/sales which maximizes the expectation for all players. For the new PB it is roughly when 1.1 billion tickets have been sold, or a cash jackpot around $745 million far beneath the threshold for being considered a fair bet after taxes, so one may conclude that you shouldn't play PB ever.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Partysame to you too,Dpoly1 Party

lets hope 2016 will be a lucky year 4 all of us

'cept for the whiners and trolls

I Agree!

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Dec 31, 2015

I don't see why not. Islands are cheap, especially if there's nothing on it. Countries who own the islands are eager to sell because you have to pay them property taxes for land that would otherwise just be sitting idle. 

There are a lot of islands out there that already have resort-type accommodations and villas on them, so you can rent out the villas when you're not using the island and generate income. And no, you don't have to share the island with anyone. It's your private property just like any other residential land purchase. 

Sometimes, the owning country will practically give away an island in exchange for you building it up for tourism  (think Necker island), but those are few and far between, and unless you want it solely for investment, you just avoid those.

"Advertised annuity would be roughly $1.5 billion before the after-tax cash could be considered "fair bet""

With odds of about 290 million to 1 against, and a $2 ticket price you'd need to net $580 million for an expectation value of 1.0. Figuring federal taxes and a mid-range state tax of 5% the advertised jackpot would have to be about $1.715 billion. I believe that's entirely possible under the current matrix, but there's a major catch.

The increases are significantly smaller than they used to be, but at some amount over 350 or 400 we'll see some very large sales. I'm guessing that we need a rollover at something between 600 and 700 to each a billion in one shot. If it gets to the 1.7 range I'm figuring there will be at least 500 million tickets sold, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was much higher. In that case there's a very good chance that there will be multiple winners, and the expectation value of 1.0 didn't really exist.

Quote: Originally posted by erdie on Jan 1, 2016

I'd rather have the money for myself, but if you want to buy a ticket with the winning numbers I won't hold a grudge. Well, maybe if they're the same numbers I played.

MaximumMillions

0 89.07%
1 10.31%
2 0.60%
3 0.02%

Thanks for the calculations, at 10% probability of being hit I can see the jackpot roll a long time.

Somebody referenced some calculations on how many winners to expect at a given time, but couldn't remember the link.

I think this might be it, though it's based on the old PB structure:

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-when-math-says-you-should-start-to-care-about-powerball-2013-9?IR=T

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Jan 1, 2016

I don't see why not. Islands are cheap, especially if there's nothing on it. Countries who own the islands are eager to sell because you have to pay them property taxes for land that would otherwise just be sitting idle. 

There are a lot of islands out there that already have resort-type accommodations and villas on them, so you can rent out the villas when you're not using the island and generate income. And no, you don't have to share the island with anyone. It's your private property just like any other residential land purchase. 

Sometimes, the owning country will practically give away an island in exchange for you building it up for tourism  (think Necker island), but those are few and far between, and unless you want it solely for investment, you just avoid those.

I end up on Vladi Private Islands quite often, can spend hours scoping ut the most attractive islands I can't buy. Though I have found some crazy price developments, like one island sold in 2008 for 3M$ now going for 60M$ Sulk Off

Prob988

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jan 1, 2016

"Advertised annuity would be roughly $1.5 billion before the after-tax cash could be considered "fair bet""

With odds of about 290 million to 1 against, and a $2 ticket price you'd need to net $580 million for an expectation value of 1.0. Figuring federal taxes and a mid-range state tax of 5% the advertised jackpot would have to be about $1.715 billion. I believe that's entirely possible under the current matrix, but there's a major catch.

The increases are significantly smaller than they used to be, but at some amount over 350 or 400 we'll see some very large sales. I'm guessing that we need a rollover at something between 600 and 700 to each a billion in one shot. If it gets to the 1.7 range I'm figuring there will be at least 500 million tickets sold, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was much higher. In that case there's a very good chance that there will be multiple winners, and the expectation value of 1.0 didn't really exist.

To be clear, my calculations of expectation values are pre-tax.

I'm not an anarchist; I therefore believe in paying taxes.   

It's amazing how many people despise paying taxes when mentioning their lottery fantasies here.    When I hear this stuff, I kind of wonder how secure their new wealth would be if they lived in a place like, say, Somalia or Syria or Iraq, where tax collections, such as they are, are more easy to avoid assuming you can hire your own militia.   Personally, I'd rather just pay taxes than hire my own militia to protect my wealth.

I love my country and my system of government, and it's one of the things for which I enjoy paying.

Bilionario's avatarBilionario

Quote: Originally posted by LottoMetro on Dec 31, 2015

$400+ million if no winner Saturday.......

Not sure if they are projecting high on purpose (self-fulfilling prophecy) or if these are legitimate expectations. Given that, I would now estimate 3-4 weeks to reach the big B.

Watch this space...

0 89.07%
1 10.31%
2 0.60%
3 0.02%

All of that is ok for those that wish to decide whether PB, or MM, or ANY lottery jackpot game is a "good" bet. Frankly, none of them are a good bet. But it really doesn't matter. Because none of us, (well, me anyway), don't plunk down our money based on a good bet or a bad bet. We place our bets because we hope to win a jackpot.

I would quite happy to win second prize. It would set up my retirement nicely. Yeah I would still have to work a few more years, but, the future would look a lot brighter.

And....someone, somewhere, IS going to win sometime.

It's amazing how many people despise paying taxes when mentioning their lottery fantasies here.    When I hear this stuff, I kind of wonder how secure their new wealth would be if they lived in a place like, say, Somalia or Syria or Iraq, where tax collections, such as they are, are more easy to avoid assuming you can hire your own militia.   Personally, I'd rather just pay taxes than hire my own militia to protect my wealth.

I love my country and my system of government, and it's one of the things for which I enjoy paying.

I'd really, really like to pay taxes on an income of 300 million dollars, because it would mean I had $160ish million to keep for myself.

The way I view expectation value is that ignoring the smaller prizes, everybody but the winner(s) will have risked and lost the full $2 price of the ticket, and the winner(s) will lose 40 to 50% of the prize to taxes. Over the long term players should to spend $584 million (292 million tickets @ $2 each) to win one jackpot, and that jackpot will return about $200 million before taxes and $100 to $120 million after taxes. In order for the players to get back the $584 they've spent the advertised jackpot therefore needs to be about 5 to 5.8 times as big.

music*'s avatarmusic*

KY, How did you come up with $160 million and you live in NY? I live in California and my State does not tax lottery winnings but I only get $131,000,000.00 after all, deductions and taxes are paid. I can go into detail if you would like me too. 

I am hoping that our fearless leader Todd Northrop updates this Power Ball jackpot from $334,000,000.00 to a higher number.

Good Luck everyone!!

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jan 2, 2016

KY, How did you come up with $160 million and you live in NY? I live in California and my State does not tax lottery winnings but I only get $131,000,000.00 after all, deductions and taxes are paid. I can go into detail if you would like me too. 

I am hoping that our fearless leader Todd Northrop updates this Power Ball jackpot from $334,000,000.00 to a higher number.

Good Luck everyone!!

I too am really surprised I haven't seen a bump. But then, I have yet to see this make our local news and I haven't seen any lines anywhere for tickets. 

Not that I'm complaining. Fewer people in a frenzy, the better my chances I won't have to share with anyone.

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

I hope it continues to roll and set a new Power ball record jackpot.

mikeintexas's avatarmikeintexas

I'm one of those who have griped about taxes, but it's not about PAYING them, it's paying SO MUCH, esp. on a JP win where it's classified as "ordinary income" and taxed at the highest rate.  As has been brought up in here at least a hundred times before, other countries have lotteries that are tax-free.  If you opt for the C/V of tonight's PB JP, the federal taxes you pay wouldn't run the U.S. govt. for ten minutes.  Be that as it may, the worst thing is that out of that huge sum, only a tiny amount would trickle down to the area where you live.    Most of that money would be wasted while getting there, too.  I could do more good and help more people with a quarter of that amount than the feds could with all of it. 

Back in the 80's, the taxpayer funded NEA shelled out something like 20 grand to the artist who took a crucifix and put it in a jar of urine and called it "art".  $20k could have been better spent at the local military museum, probably paying their utility bills and other expenses for a couple of years.  It's the govt.'s use of funds for things such as that which infuriate me.

Since I don't live in Somalia, Syria or Iraq, I don't have to worry about it.  In fact, if I lived in one of those countries, I doubt I'd know anything about U.S. lotteries and instead of worrying about paying taxes on the win, would be more concerned about keeping my family safe or getting gasoline for my Toyota pickup and ammo for the .50 caliber mounted in back and where the infidels were I wanted to kill.   Not sure why you brought that up, but it was a silly example and had nothing to do with paying taxes HERE.

I also love my country and while I think our system of govt. is good, it's certainly not evolved as our Founding Fathers intended.  I do not enjoy paying taxes, but I understand they're necessary.  What I do despise is paying for the bloated, inefficient bureaucracies with many multiple levels of employees that make more and do less than the levels below them and those govt. agencies that can hand down regulations and mandates that have the force of law.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

im already planning what income i will have  based on the investment of the cash payment.  all i can say is WOOOOT oh wait still the small detail of winning

HoLeeKau's avatarHoLeeKau

I don't have a problem paying federal taxes, but it chaps my rear that the state takes more.

They're already making millions per year on a voluntary tax that we lottery players pay.  I don't even have kids, and I'm giving major funding to the schools.  I think that's enough and they should not double tax me if I should ever win.

Prob988

Quote: Originally posted by mikeintexas on Jan 2, 2016

I'm one of those who have griped about taxes, but it's not about PAYING them, it's paying SO MUCH, esp. on a JP win where it's classified as "ordinary income" and taxed at the highest rate.  As has been brought up in here at least a hundred times before, other countries have lotteries that are tax-free.  If you opt for the C/V of tonight's PB JP, the federal taxes you pay wouldn't run the U.S. govt. for ten minutes.  Be that as it may, the worst thing is that out of that huge sum, only a tiny amount would trickle down to the area where you live.    Most of that money would be wasted while getting there, too.  I could do more good and help more people with a quarter of that amount than the feds could with all of it. 

Back in the 80's, the taxpayer funded NEA shelled out something like 20 grand to the artist who took a crucifix and put it in a jar of urine and called it "art".  $20k could have been better spent at the local military museum, probably paying their utility bills and other expenses for a couple of years.  It's the govt.'s use of funds for things such as that which infuriate me.

Since I don't live in Somalia, Syria or Iraq, I don't have to worry about it.  In fact, if I lived in one of those countries, I doubt I'd know anything about U.S. lotteries and instead of worrying about paying taxes on the win, would be more concerned about keeping my family safe or getting gasoline for my Toyota pickup and ammo for the .50 caliber mounted in back and where the infidels were I wanted to kill.   Not sure why you brought that up, but it was a silly example and had nothing to do with paying taxes HERE.

I also love my country and while I think our system of govt. is good, it's certainly not evolved as our Founding Fathers intended.  I do not enjoy paying taxes, but I understand they're necessary.  What I do despise is paying for the bloated, inefficient bureaucracies with many multiple levels of employees that make more and do less than the levels below them and those govt. agencies that can hand down regulations and mandates that have the force of law.

Well, Mike, you say you love your country but wished it evolved like the Founding Fathers intended.   Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the world they envisioned, where lots of human beings were treated like farm animals, for one thing among many others.    The people who founded the country had huge disagreements among themselves, and I'm sure they didn't regard themselves as infallible and thus were careful to include provisions in their constitution that would correct their self acknowledged imperfections, as was specifically stated in the Federalist papers, specifically and unambiguously in Federalist #85.

Federalist #85

But I have no doubt that you still would prefer living in the 18th century; and I'm happy that even though you won't win the lottery, that if you did, your first purchase would be horses and a real wonderful plantation with porcelain seats in the outhouses, just like the ones James Madison had. 

I'm quite sure too, while you don't live in Iraq, you feel nothing at all for the fact that tax dollars were used to blow the lives of human beings living there to little bits, because of your ex-Governor had something to work out with his Daddy.   I assume the children there who had their arms or heads blown off were just casualties of your Christian love.

Some of us feel otherwise about all of that; we actually value human beings in reality, and not in the mindless chanting in churches about love and peace until we can get outside the door to shoot the neighbors we just said we loved full of holes.  We feel that when simpletons blow things apart with no plan to build things to replace them, they are making the lives of everyone on the planet more dangerous.

And you're right, the entire lottery sales for the entire history of the lottery wouldn't pay very much for the two trillion good time party we had between 2000 and 2008 blowing up "infidels."

Basically, you and I may live in the same country - and I question whether you really love it although I'm sure you wave the flag a lot - and I definitely see that you do, in fact, want to form your own militia of one with 50 calibre ammunition on a Toyota truck.

It's a lucky thing you won't win the lottery, and you won't.   You wouldn't last three weeks before someone with the same mentality blew you away in a gun battle, probably taking down lots of innocent people in the cross fire.

This is the disturbing thing about the lottery at the end of the day; anyone can win it; even fools and nothing is worse than a fool with power.

As for the people who work in Government, many of them are highly educated and hard working.   Somehow I doubt that you are actually their equal in working for this country or for the world.    I've had lots of interactions with government employees, my children's teachers for instance, who love their country and work hard for it in ways that you are clearly incapable of imagining.

You don't know jack squat about me and you've just written the most ignorant piece of crap I've read this week. 

Give it time, though, there's still the rest of the day.

"did you come up with $160 million"

Easy. I said an income of $300 million. I didn't say anything about a fictitious prize of $300 million.

"Fewer people in a frenzy"

Even the people who post here haven't managed to get past page 4 yet.

Deo-nonfortuna

Rent? Why rent when u can buy your own island with that kind of money.

Quote: Originally posted by Deo-nonfortuna on Jan 2, 2016

Rent? Why rent when u can buy your own island with that kind of money.

if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Jan 1, 2016

I end up on Vladi Private Islands quite often, can spend hours scoping ut the most attractive islands I can't buy. Though I have found some crazy price developments, like one island sold in 2008 for 3M$ now going for 60M$ Sulk Off

A $57 million mark up just for their development? What exactly was the development? Hotels? A mini-theme park? Diamond mining?

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/int/private-island-type#eng/sales/int/private-island-type

These are much more reasonable. Buy a Cay from the Bahamas and save yourself tens of millions by building exactly what you want.

Stratogee's avatarStratogee

The Powerball win is already mine so you all can stop playing or continue playing adding to the jackpot.  I'll invite all LP players to a big party to celebrate.  Todd can be the master of ceremonies.

Quote: Originally posted by Prob988 on Jan 2, 2016

Well, Mike, you say you love your country but wished it evolved like the Founding Fathers intended.   Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the world they envisioned, where lots of human beings were treated like farm animals, for one thing among many others.    The people who founded the country had huge disagreements among themselves, and I'm sure they didn't regard themselves as infallible and thus were careful to include provisions in their constitution that would correct their self acknowledged imperfections, as was specifically stated in the Federalist papers, specifically and unambiguously in Federalist #85.

Federalist #85

But I have no doubt that you still would prefer living in the 18th century; and I'm happy that even though you won't win the lottery, that if you did, your first purchase would be horses and a real wonderful plantation with porcelain seats in the outhouses, just like the ones James Madison had. 

I'm quite sure too, while you don't live in Iraq, you feel nothing at all for the fact that tax dollars were used to blow the lives of human beings living there to little bits, because of your ex-Governor had something to work out with his Daddy.   I assume the children there who had their arms or heads blown off were just casualties of your Christian love.

Some of us feel otherwise about all of that; we actually value human beings in reality, and not in the mindless chanting in churches about love and peace until we can get outside the door to shoot the neighbors we just said we loved full of holes.  We feel that when simpletons blow things apart with no plan to build things to replace them, they are making the lives of everyone on the planet more dangerous.

And you're right, the entire lottery sales for the entire history of the lottery wouldn't pay very much for the two trillion good time party we had between 2000 and 2008 blowing up "infidels."

Basically, you and I may live in the same country - and I question whether you really love it although I'm sure you wave the flag a lot - and I definitely see that you do, in fact, want to form your own militia of one with 50 calibre ammunition on a Toyota truck.

It's a lucky thing you won't win the lottery, and you won't.   You wouldn't last three weeks before someone with the same mentality blew you away in a gun battle, probably taking down lots of innocent people in the cross fire.

This is the disturbing thing about the lottery at the end of the day; anyone can win it; even fools and nothing is worse than a fool with power.

As for the people who work in Government, many of them are highly educated and hard working.   Somehow I doubt that you are actually their equal in working for this country or for the world.    I've had lots of interactions with government employees, my children's teachers for instance, who love their country and work hard for it in ways that you are clearly incapable of imagining.

Holy crap. What the f are you talking about. You just wrote the biggest pile of tripe in all of LP. 50 call in the back of a Toyota truck here?

YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

Since you are still in your parent'so basement why don't you go tell your mama she's calling you for dinner.

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Jan 2, 2016

A $57 million mark up just for their development? What exactly was the development? Hotels? A mini-theme park? Diamond mining?

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/int/private-island-type#eng/sales/int/private-island-type

These are much more reasonable. Buy a Cay from the Bahamas and save yourself tens of millions by building exactly what you want.

lol....the advantage of owning real estate is that you can list it for whatever you want....doesn't mean someone will pay it.

I have been looking at rentals in my area and I inquired about a house that is over 30 years old and property value assessed at only a couple hundred Ks. I couldn't believe the realtor is asking $3K a month to rent this place. It doesn't even have a garage. She claimed it has a market value of half a million. Would you believe people are actually stupid enough to pay the asking price to rent this place? The reason, apparently, is that it is located in a good school district.

On an unrelated note, I bought my first lottery ticket of the year today and won 3x my money (2x profit). No Powerball for me :)

BBLL's avatarBBLL

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on Jan 2, 2016

I hope it continues to roll and set a new Power ball record jackpot.

I want it to roll to a billion dollars

Todd's avatarTodd

Uh oh, looks like birthday numbers were drawn tonight... I don't know anything at this point, but my guess is a winner.  Winning numbers are 5-6-15-29-42, and the Powerball is 10.

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 2, 2016

Uh oh, looks like birthday numbers were drawn tonight... I don't know anything at this point, but my guess is a winner.  Winning numbers are 5-6-15-29-42, and the Powerball is 10.

Yep, my birthday is on the 42nd of the month Big Grin

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 2, 2016

You may be onto something....looks like actual annuity @ $359,300,000 and cash @ $219,900,000.....so with sales higher than expected and birthday numbers....

We'll see

Edit:

Rolling :-)

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Whoa...$400 million. 

Rolling rolling rolling

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Jan 3, 2016

Whoa...$400 million. 

Rolling rolling rolling

Rawhide!

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

And now the insanity shall really start.

Bang Head

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 3, 2016

And now the insanity shall really start.

Bang Head

Heeeeerrre we go....!  Ha  Drum

I didn't play it but I will watch the rollovers with some amusement.

Interesting, the 5-15-29 also came up in our Wild Card game (Idaho).

let it roll till it hits $600 million then let ME win it all

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Jan 2, 2016

I didn't make it clear, the only development was the price as far as I can tell. There was a small house on it but I think it was there before.

Bahamas has the added benefit of tax savings. Good thinking there!

Nice to see it rolling again.

dr65's avatardr65

No winner. Time to buy a ticket with powerplay. What do you think it will roll to now?

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Jan 3, 2016

No winner. Time to buy a ticket with powerplay. What do you think it will roll to now?

so long as I don't have to share it !! 

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Jan 3, 2016

I didn't make it clear, the only development was the price as far as I can tell. There was a small house on it but I think it was there before.

Bahamas has the added benefit of tax savings. Good thinking there!

Nice to see it rolling again.

Okay, you've got to give me the links to these properties, because I have GOT to see this. Did you check? Maybe there is a diamond mine on the property.

Something's got to be going on...I hope. Because there are just too many private islands out there for sale to warrant this price jump for no apparent reason...again, I hope.

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by Teddi on Jan 3, 2016

Okay, you've got to give me the links to these properties, because I have GOT to see this. Did you check? Maybe there is a diamond mine on the property.

Something's got to be going on...I hope. Because there are just too many private islands out there for sale to warrant this price jump for no apparent reason...again, I hope.

I looked it up again and it is now up for 3M$ at one broker and the broker who had it as "60M$" now has it as "price upon request". so I'm guessing they tried to flush a whale or wanted to disparage development as luxury condos or whatever.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by LottoMetro on Jan 2, 2016

lol....the advantage of owning real estate is that you can list it for whatever you want....doesn't mean someone will pay it.

I have been looking at rentals in my area and I inquired about a house that is over 30 years old and property value assessed at only a couple hundred Ks. I couldn't believe the realtor is asking $3K a month to rent this place. It doesn't even have a garage. She claimed it has a market value of half a million. Would you believe people are actually stupid enough to pay the asking price to rent this place? The reason, apparently, is that it is located in a good school district.

On an unrelated note, I bought my first lottery ticket of the year today and won 3x my money (2x profit). No Powerball for me :)

Well that's definitely true. When I see ridiculous mark ups on properties for no apparent reason than the seller's greed, I know I'd personally shy away from doing any business with that person. I wouldn't be inclined to negotiate the price down, I'd simply look for something else. Making a great profit is good business. But when a mark up is to the point where it borders on insanity? I see that as so far north of greed that I question how ethical the seller is and what other unethical things might happen during the sale.

Now, higher than the norm prices for terrible properties because it's in a fantastic school system? That I get. I've seen enough obsessive parents do financially ridiculous things to get their kids into the best schools they can, so those prices in a high demand school district don't surprise me at all. 

Watched an episode of House Hunters some years back and saw these people willing to spend over a million dollars for a 3 bedroom 1 bath tiny, unbelievably dated house just because of the school district. I thought they must be nuts. But I keep seeing stuff like that happen so that's what they're willing to pay. They aren't paying for the property, they're solely paying for the location.

Teddi's avatarTeddi

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Jan 3, 2016

I looked it up again and it is now up for 3M$ at one broker and the broker who had it as "60M$" now has it as "price upon request". so I'm guessing they tried to flush a whale or wanted to disparage development as luxury condos or whatever.

Hmm, now that's just weird. Could one price the cost for the land and the other the cost with it developed by a builder? Still don't know what they'd be building on a small island for $57 million but at least that would make more sense. To simultaneously have two different prices for the same property with no variation of what's being offered on the property would be insane. Well whatever, let's stick with a Bahamian cay or if you don't mind the cold, Canada always has a lot of islands for sale at really cheap prices. Might not have the same tax benefits, but at those prices it might even out.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story