Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Very good time to win the mega millions tonight

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 11 months ago by AlecWest.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
Nutley, New Jersey
United States
Member #131058
August 1, 2012
875 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2016, 5:34 am - IP Logged

if you win saturdays powerball jackpot and take the lump sum your're really going to end up with about 200 million after 25% federal withholding and state taxes plus the 39.6% youre going to owe next april

No. Not next April. Since the income is made in 2016 the income tax will be due in April 2017.

Portland, OR
    United States
    Member #145973
    August 20, 2013
    226 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2016, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Here are some of the books Alec is most likely a fan of:  Smile

-  The 48 Laws of Power

-  The 50th Law

-  Outwitting The Devil

All on Youtube by the way, for those interested.

Good job Alec.  I came across your site through Google about a week ago.  Landed on a different page about anonymity I believe.   Love your suggestions.  I live in Washington too now.  It is messed up what they did to Michele and Michael Villegas back in Yakima.  Thanks bud.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

Portland, OR
      United States
      Member #145973
      August 20, 2013
      226 Posts
      Posted: January 9, 2016, 10:27 am - IP Logged

if you win saturdays powerball jackpot and take the lump sum your're really going to end up with about 200 million after 25% federal withholding and state taxes plus the 39.6% youre going to owe next april

I don't think that's accurate.  the "plus the 39.6%" part.  Federal withholding will be 25% plus you'll owe 14.6% (federal) in April, 2017 (depending on what you did with the money) plus state taxes.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10348 Posts
        Posted: January 9, 2016, 10:33 am - IP Logged

With everybody dreaming about the 800 million powerball jackpot now its the perfect time to stay anonymous even if your state doesnt allow it by winning the mega millions tonight. I mean whos gonna care who won tonight when theres almost a billion dollars on the line tommorow?

How right you were!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          604 Posts
          Posted: January 9, 2016, 10:57 am - IP Logged

People CAN stay anonymous, regardless of whether the state allows it.  Click on my username to see my profile - and visit my "Lucky You" website shown on the profile page to find out how.

There is some great advice on your site!

However, you can't really stay anonymous with a name change, that is more "claiming under an assumed name" than anonymous, and not everyone has that option. Over here you can't just file for a name change and take out an ad. But for those who can it's a great strategy!

Portland, OR
            United States
            Member #145973
            August 20, 2013
            226 Posts
            Posted: January 9, 2016, 11:29 am - IP Logged

Problem with name change, more in this particular case, is that if reporters really want to find out who you really are, they easily can.  They just have to look in court records for name changes or recent newspaper announcements, the latter depending on the state.  In Washington state it cost between $150-$200 to change your name.  I don't think the newspaper announcement is required.

I think maybe another option would be to move immediately to another county in your state if you win the lottery.  First change your driver's license to reflect the new address.  Go to the courthouse in the new county and change your name.  Hire a good lottery lawyer and claim the ticket after your name is approved and you updated all your records.  Now, I don't know if that's considered "fraud".  You are changing your name to deceive an entity.  I think so but I could be COMPLETELY wrong.

"The Petition should also state that you are not changing your name for fraudulent purposes and that changing your name will not be detrimental to the interests of any other person."

Fraud:  A broad term that refers to a variety of offenses involving dishonesty or "fraudulent acts". In essence, fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain.

Regarding background checks and having to wait two weeks for your money, that's if you claim the jackpot right after you win it.  If you claim it after the first two weeks, the money will hit your bank account overnight.

Robert Greene

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: January 9, 2016, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Thanks Alex, I've been planning to change my name but was a little confused about the logistics.  Any suggestions on name changes in a smaller community if you have a fairly distinctive name?  I think the change has to be published in a local newspaper for several weeks.  That would make it really easy for an enterprising reporter or a snoopy Mrs Kravitz with nothing better to do to just read back through notices looking for the name of the lottery winner to see what my name was previously. 

I was thinking about taking the time to have it changed in another state because I've been told California only has a 6 week residency requirement to do it there.

But that would require more logistics as far as DL goes.  I guess I would need to get a DL in Calif, then come back to Idaho and get a new one here.

EDIT:  Oops I see One-Day posted while I was composing.  Sorry for the duplicate concerns/questions.

Germany
                Member #164603
                March 8, 2015
                604 Posts
                Posted: January 9, 2016, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Alex, I've been planning to change my name but was a little confused about the logistics.  Any suggestions on name changes in a smaller community if you have a fairly distinctive name?  I think the change has to be published in a local newspaper for several weeks.  That would make it really easy for an enterprising reporter or a snoopy Mrs Kravitz with nothing better to do to just read back through notices looking for the name of the lottery winner to see what my name was previously. 

I was thinking about taking the time to have it changed in another state because I've been told California only has a 6 week residency requirement to do it there.

But that would require more logistics as far as DL goes.  I guess I would need to get a DL in Calif, then come back to Idaho and get a new one here.

EDIT:  Oops I see One-Day posted while I was composing.  Sorry for the duplicate concerns/questions.

Different states have different rules. If you do it in one of the corn field states I doubt the interest will be high. And if you go wuth a common name such as Smith/Miller/Singh/Patel that makes it even easier for you.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                  Member #169277
                  October 10, 2015
                  630 Posts
                  Posted: January 9, 2016, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I would not have the patience to wait for a name change before claiming.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #94283
                    July 17, 2010
                    2284 Posts
                    Posted: January 9, 2016, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

I would not have the patience to wait for a name change before claiming.

It would be hard, but for someone with my personality, and with my sketchy relatives, it would SO be worth it.  I'd just have to keep my eye on the future, and keep in the front of my mind the repercussions of what would happen if I didn't stay anony.

One more question I've been trying to find out.  What kind of lawyer would be the best to contact first?  Which specialty?  The first thing I'd need to have done for me is to contact the lottery and find out if there are certain circumstances under which they would grant anonymity.  It's been done in other states, including the recent one in Oregon for a foreign winner whose family would be in serious danger.  If there was no way I could stay anony, this lawyer would then have to guide me through setting up a blind trust, or changing my name, or whatever it takes to make sure most people have no idea who I am.  I have no idea what type of lawyer could do that for me.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                      Vader, Washington
                      United States
                      Member #29697
                      January 5, 2006
                      108 Posts
                      Posted: January 9, 2016, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

Here are some of the books Alec is most likely a fan of:  Smile

-  The 48 Laws of Power

-  The 50th Law

-  Outwitting The Devil

All on Youtube by the way, for those interested.

Good job Alec.  I came across your site through Google about a week ago.  Landed on a different page about anonymity I believe.   Love your suggestions.  I live in Washington too now.  It is messed up what they did to Michele and Michael Villegas back in Yakima.  Thanks bud.

Thanks.  Not sure about those books, though (grin).  My operative mantra in all things lottery-related is a quote from the movie, "Catch 22," where Alan Arkin said, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really coming after you." (grin).

You'll notice that my site doesn't mention the Villegas couple by name ... only the case that screwed them out of their anonymity.  Sadly, their names have had more than their fair share of publicity.  For those who don't know what we're talking about, HERE is the news story on it.  Of course, as the saying goes, "When there's a will, there's a way."  Hindsight is a bugger for sure.  But it occurred to me that, if they'd suspected this might happen, they could have still retained anonymity by going one step further.  Consider this.

What if the Villegas couple legally changed their last names to Gordon first and then had the attorney draw up the trust papers?  The "Gordons" could have then opened up a UPS Store mailbox (in Seattle) showing it as their home address on the trust papers.  If you've not had one before, UPS mailbox addresses look a lot like apartment addresses.  On the UPS side, they could have listed their home address as "c/o the attorney."  Their lawyer could have claimed the jackpot in the name of the trust.  The media hounds would have requested a records release on the trust - and ended up following the lead to the UPS store (grin).  And if they paid a UPS store employee to release the Gordon's home address to them, they'd end up with the "c/o the attorney" address.  Point is, by the time the media hounds got to that point, the Villegas couple would have gotten their money and closed the trust account by having their attorney cut a check for its full value to the Villegas's - and started the name-change process to reclaim their original name.

Legal name changes are handled county by county ... and sometimes in one of two jurisdictions (a District Court or a Superior Court).  So if a media hound wanted to find out who the Gordons really were, they'd have to check the records of every county in the state - probably starting with King County since that's the address shown on the trust papers.  It might take them a heckuva long time before they checked Yakima County records.  And a media hound's boss might tell them to stop wasting their time, throwing the newspaper's money away and move on to a newer story.  Old news is bad news - and time is money.

I can't see "fraud" being an issue.  A legal name-change is not subterfuge, it's a matter of public record.  And there's no requirement that trust accounts mention a physical address.  I suspect most trust addresses are PO Boxes (or UPS mailboxes) anyway.

FWIW, I once did a legal name change myself in Vancouver.  I had a choice of filing the papers in Clark County District Court or Clark County Superior Court.  I chose District Court because they were cheaper.  No, I didn't do it because I'd won a lottery (grin).  I was born "James Alec West."  But my stepdad adopted me in the 4th grade, changing my last name to his last name.  In 1992, I legally changed it back (long boring story).

On getting your money "overnight" if you simply wait two weeks to redeem the ticket, I'd find that hard to believe.  They won't dole out the money until the background checks are complete ... and they can't start the checks until they have a name and Social Security Number to run the checks on.  In fact, if someone legally changed their name first, I'd guess the background check process would take longer - since they'd have to reconcile two identities - the former name and the new "legal" name.

Germany
                        Member #164603
                        March 8, 2015
                        604 Posts
                        Posted: January 9, 2016, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

It would be hard, but for someone with my personality, and with my sketchy relatives, it would SO be worth it.  I'd just have to keep my eye on the future, and keep in the front of my mind the repercussions of what would happen if I didn't stay anony.

One more question I've been trying to find out.  What kind of lawyer would be the best to contact first?  Which specialty?  The first thing I'd need to have done for me is to contact the lottery and find out if there are certain circumstances under which they would grant anonymity.  It's been done in other states, including the recent one in Oregon for a foreign winner whose family would be in serious danger.  If there was no way I could stay anony, this lawyer would then have to guide me through setting up a blind trust, or changing my name, or whatever it takes to make sure most people have no idea who I am.  I have no idea what type of lawyer could do that for me.

Tax and estate Lawyer should be the one. He can ask to grant anonymity and if they decline he can plan and set up trusts and llcs.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                          Vader, Washington
                          United States
                          Member #29697
                          January 5, 2006
                          108 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2016, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

There is some great advice on your site!

However, you can't really stay anonymous with a name change, that is more "claiming under an assumed name" than anonymous, and not everyone has that option. Over here you can't just file for a name change and take out an ad. But for those who can it's a great strategy!

Sadly, yes.  My site's advice was meant primarily for U.S. residents.  Foreign residency (and foreign lotteries for that matter) are a whole different can of worms.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                            Vader, Washington
                            United States
                            Member #29697
                            January 5, 2006
                            108 Posts
                            Posted: January 9, 2016, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Click HERE to visit the Idaho Bar Association "lawyer referral request" page.  The cost for a half-hour initial consultation is only $35 ... which I think is pretty much the same as other bar associations in other states.  You'd need to ask them to refer you to a lawyer who specializes in lottery law and trusts.  As much as I researched my site, I'm sure that lawyers probably have other (and possibly better) tricks up their sleeve.