Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 2:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly To The Powerball Rolling Over...

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 1 year ago by LottoMomma.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
Michigan
United States
Member #100025
November 4, 2010
158 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2016, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Well, the drawing was an hour ago.. still awaiting results.  What are the ramifications? 

1.   If it rolls over.. we have to buy tickets AGAIN!  UGH.

2.   If it rolls over.. yes, another chance that you/me/I may be a winner!  YEAH!!!

3.   The jackpot has been one by ONE person.  What does one person need with $900M dollars, who may end up broke in 5 or  10 years.   I mean seriously.  How much do you need to be able to quit your job and enjoy an easy life? 

My personal opinion.. when the jackpots get high like this.. I think they should pull more tickets so there is more winners.. like 10. 20, 50 or even 100 for $900M.   Why not spread the wealth so there is more millionaires. 

Just sayin..

Anyone else with me on this one???  Just a curiosity.

Like to see your responses...

Thanks for playing...

Lottomomma

See Ya!

ny, new york
    United States
    Member #170896
    December 23, 2015
    7 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2016, 1:22 am - IP Logged

i think when you have the powerball rolling into the billions the odds of winning should be increased in the players favor. i would rather see 100 people win a million dollars each than one or two geezers winning the whole pot.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10391 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2016, 1:23 am - IP Logged

A lot of people want to see more winners but exactly how would it be done?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Glendale
        United States
        Member #151252
        January 11, 2014
        8 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2016, 1:30 am - IP Logged

CNBC says no one won. $1.3 Billion is the new jackpot

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1131 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2016, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Well, the drawing was an hour ago.. still awaiting results.  What are the ramifications? 

1.   If it rolls over.. we have to buy tickets AGAIN!  UGH.

2.   If it rolls over.. yes, another chance that you/me/I may be a winner!  YEAH!!!

3.   The jackpot has been one by ONE person.  What does one person need with $900M dollars, who may end up broke in 5 or  10 years.   I mean seriously.  How much do you need to be able to quit your job and enjoy an easy life? 

My personal opinion.. when the jackpots get high like this.. I think they should pull more tickets so there is more winners.. like 10. 20, 50 or even 100 for $900M.   Why not spread the wealth so there is more millionaires. 

Just sayin..

Anyone else with me on this one???  Just a curiosity.

Like to see your responses...

Thanks for playing...

Lottomomma

See Ya!

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/298074/4426870

Please see: https://www.lotterypost.com/news/298074/4426875 for the ramifications.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #100025
            November 4, 2010
            158 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2016, 1:32 am - IP Logged

A lot of people want to see more winners but exactly how would it be done?

Why couldn't those who pull the "winning numbers" to begin with just pick more numbers til the decided amount of winners is selected per the jackpot amount. 

Say if it is a $100M jackpot.. 2 winners are picked, if $200M 4 winners, etc.. and so on. Would have to be a mandated and voted change to the lottery system for PM and MM by the powers to be. Seems only fair. 

When you think of all the people who could benefit from all those different jackpots from over the years and some doing with the money the right or wrong thing.

Over the years we have heard of the ones who lost it all, squandered it, hoarded it, murdered over it,  shared it and then those that contributed to those less fortunate.

Save the children, the animals, the disabled vets, etc.  There is certainly allot more deserving people out there for $900M than on person to just p-------ed it all away.. but that's just my opinion.

I would love to win so I could help the animals that are abused, the children in St. Judes, our vets who are living in streets and more than just the $19 or $20 per month annual donation. Enough to make a diff and make one feel really good about themselves about how they really made a diff!

Just seems like such a waste and gluttony.

Again, just sayin...

LottoMomma

See Ya!

Portland, OR
              United States
              Member #145973
              August 20, 2013
              226 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2016, 1:38 am - IP Logged

I TOLD YOU SO!  She was gonna roll.  People were saying not a chance.   Wednesday Jackpot will be $1.5B + I bet.  This will get out of hand.  People will throw even the kitchen sink to the Powerball these next few days.  I see the feds putting a stop to the party somehow.   They are party poopers.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10391 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2016, 2:07 am - IP Logged

LottoMomma,

[i]"Say if it is a $100M jackpot.. 2 winners are picked, if $200M 4 winners, etc.. and so on. Would have to be a mandated and voted change to the lottery system for PM and MM by the powers to be. Seems only fair. "[/i]

As it is now there can be 2 or 4 winners, if they have the right numbers. With one set of numbers such a change would be hard to do.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #121961
                  January 21, 2012
                  3159 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2016, 2:15 am - IP Logged

I was hoping #1 wouldn't repeat but that's the deal.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5759 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2016, 10:15 am - IP Logged

There WERE 28 second prize winners last night.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10391 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2016, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Think they'll get triskaidekaphobia?

Scared

Lep

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                        Nutley, New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #131058
                        August 1, 2012
                        875 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2016, 10:55 am - IP Logged

MUSL tried spreading the wealth before with the Monopoly Millionaires Club and that failed miserably.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
                          Greenville, SC
                          United States
                          Member #169870
                          November 4, 2015
                          374 Posts
                          Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:14 am - IP Logged

LottoMomma, you can buy multi-draw tickets. I hope the people standing in those long lines on the Nevada/Cali line are. Also, I just posted this in another thread. I think, if it keeps rolling over, less than devout players will drop out of the game. I mean, the people whom never played the lottery before now. They'll probably think it's just a joke. A dangling carrot. Regular players will play regardless of the jackpot amount.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            4081 Posts
                            Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Power ball is a high stakes game and is what it is.  Changing the number of lines drawn would

devalue the game and we would not have such large jackpots.  You would be better off to play

another game with lower odds.  Here where I live we have a 6-44 that starts at 1 million and

grows until someone wins. 

6-44 $1.00 play = 2 lines  $3,529,526  expected cost to win

5-69+1of26 *$2.00 play = $584,402,676  expected cost to win

$584,402,676 / $3,529,526 = 165.575

One could expect to win the 6-44, 165 times to every 1 Power ball win.  You would be better off

playing another game.  The big games should be played as entertainment only and only invest

a couple dollars each game.   The jackpot is expected to grow to 1.3 billion and if we do the math

we can see that more tickets have been sold then it would take to buy the game out with no winner. 

Where else can one have a chance at winning so much for a $2.00 bet.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                              Member #106923
                              February 27, 2011
                              479 Posts
                              Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Think they'll get triskaidekaphobia?

Scared

13 was my son's jersey number through high school and college.  My wife played it as the PB.  She hit one number plus the PB.  This is only the second time she has played the lottery and didn't realize one number plus the PB pays the same as just the PB.  I don't think Todd would let me post her response to that one!

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!