Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 11:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is Powerball Jackpot Electronically Deposited or Do They Give You a Physical Check

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Redd55.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Maryland
United States
Member #162434
January 2, 2015
942 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2016, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

They pay the jackpot with bags of pennies. So you need to have about 100 armored trucks ready to go.

Over 10 years ago I was in the lobby of a small local bank and a lady came in crying asking the bank for help.  Her X paid her $1500 in back child support in PENNIES!! The bank that issued them to the X wouldn't take them back as the girl-friend worked there!! 

I helped the tellers & lady unload the trunk. The bank she was at exchanged it for bills, and didn't charge her anything.  One of the tellers said the FED will charge the bank money to return all the change to them. 

United States
    Member #171734
    January 11, 2016
    127 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2016, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

If you decide to take your winnings in cash you would end up with a cube of $100 bills about 30ft on a side (Assuming a $600M cash payout after federal withholding)

To put that $600M cash award into persepective, the US National Debt grows at twice that amount every day.  Roughly $500B in 2016 is the expected deficit.

So if you are feeling generous and just want to donate the rest of your winnings that Uncle Sam didn't already take, you will be covering only 12 hours of Uncle Sams overdraft for the day.

Wollongong
      Australia
      Member #164435
      March 2, 2015
      30 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

And when you present the oversized cheque at the bank's teller,it takes two bank workers to apply the bank's huge stamp on the cheque.

Wollongong
        Australia
        Member #164435
        March 2, 2015
        30 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

Over 10 years ago I was in the lobby of a small local bank and a lady came in crying asking the bank for help.  Her X paid her $1500 in back child support in PENNIES!! The bank that issued them to the X wouldn't take them back as the girl-friend worked there!! 

I helped the tellers & lady unload the trunk. The bank she was at exchanged it for bills, and didn't charge her anything.  One of the tellers said the FED will charge the bank money to return all the change to them. 

Who saves up that much coin? A Penny Pincher?

United States
          Member #162003
          December 18, 2014
          43 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2016, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Who saves up that much coin? A Penny Pincher?

The dude that gave her all the pennies obviously did it on purpose. Especially if his current girlfriend worked at the bank where they came from.

Maryland
            United States
            Member #162434
            January 2, 2015
            942 Posts
            Posted: January 12, 2016, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

The dude that gave her all the pennies obviously did it on purpose. Especially if his current girlfriend worked at the bank where they came from.

Correct.  That bank gave him the pennies but then wouldn't take them back due to the cost of selling them to the fed. 

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #104962
              January 23, 2011
              1075 Posts
              Posted: January 12, 2016, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

That is definitely some sweet payback on that.

Trump 2016!

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                Member #165244
                March 30, 2015
                229 Posts
                Posted: January 12, 2016, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Do you keep the big Happy Gilmore check? Probably not something you want laying around the house when your new neighbors bring over a fruit basket to welcome you to the neighborhood...

LOL...That would be great to keep..

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                  PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: January 15, 2016, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I would want to keep the big check as a souvenir it would be an important part of the memory. I would put in my trophy room on the wall. What is the lottery going to do with it? Probably throw it out. I doubt they keep them all unless they have a big room for them.

Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #4170
                    March 27, 2004
                    103 Posts
                    Posted: January 15, 2016, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

I am curious if I can ask them to throw the big check out? I do not want to carry it around or keep it

DEE88's avatar - animal doggy2.jpg
                      PA
                      United States
                      Member #69849
                      January 18, 2009
                      15097 Posts
                      Posted: January 15, 2016, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!   he was mad cause he got nailed having to pay back child support...the system caught up with him..

2079    1085   8841    7227   3305   4651

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: January 17, 2016, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

I am curious if I can ask them to throw the big check out? I do not want to carry it around or keep it

No you must walk around town holding it up for at least an hour, and yelling "Look who won bitches!" before they do that. LOL

United States
                          Member #164725
                          March 12, 2015
                          367 Posts
                          Posted: January 17, 2016, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

All she had to do is inform the family court. The judge would have B-slapped the guy.