Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Traveling out of state to buy lottery tickets?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 1 year ago by OneTrickpony.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23351 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

There have been lots of reports in the news about people standing in long lines, waiting 2, 3, even 4 hours to buy lottery tickets because they go to a border store.

If you're going to travel to another state and buy tickets, be smart.  Use the Lottery Places app to find a store a bit farther in from the border so you're not waiting in line.

Or maybe you're near more than one other state, and you want to see and compare stores in both states at once.  The Lottery Places app can do that too, because it's the only app on the market that can find lottery retailers in every state and jurisdiction in the United States.

It's available for free download for every major platform:  iPhone (iOS), Android, Windows Phone, and Windows 8 and Windows 10 computers.  Every lottery player should have this app.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
    Greenville, SC
    United States
    Member #169870
    November 4, 2015
    374 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2016, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

I know for sure that after Primm, Nevada, there's hardly anything in California for miles on I-15! But then again, I'm only on I-15.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
      Oregon
      United States
      Member #168137
      August 17, 2015
      125 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2016, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

My other half drives truck and is up and down the I-5 usually, so I occasionally have him pick up tickets in CA... and if he is headed there before Wednesday, I will likely have him pick a few... maybe in WA too if he hits both by wednesday!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2016, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

I know for sure that after Primm, Nevada, there's hardly anything in California for miles on I-15! But then again, I'm only on I-15.

Before Primm people from Vegas went to Nipton, don't know is they still sell tickets or not.

Not too far from the border but a little off the beaten path.

For many years, Nipton had the highest sales of tickets for the California State Lottery. Because a store on the California side of Primm, Nevada began selling lottery tickets, Nipton lost top ranking, as Primm was easier and quicker to get to for Las Vegas-area residents and tourists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipton,_California

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nipton-trading-post-nipton

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:42 am - IP Logged

Welcome to Nipton, CA -- a historic Mojave Desert town.

This roadside town serves as a gateway to the Mojave National Preserve and is conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. Well, that's what it feels like when you're driving those 10 miles of winding, hilly terrain off of Interstate 15.

travelintrucker,

From the last link above Nipton is 10 miles off of I-15 and they still sell tickets. It was fun to go there from Vegas, nice escape.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Ignatius's avatar - 437 1832-large.jpg
            Springfield, IL
            United States
            Member #127541
            May 3, 2012
            12 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2016, 7:11 am - IP Logged

I live in Illinois a few miles from the Indiana border and almost always buy tickets in Indiana. Why?

1. Taxes are lower on winnings
            2. I worked for the Illinois government for 9+ years and I don't trust them to do a good job getting me any winning money in an easy fashion.
            3. If you win in Indiana you can withdraw your winnings from any Key bank location 2.5 hours after completing claim at central lottery office.

Frankly I would prefer to have anonymity upon winning but it takes 3 hours to drive to Ohio, oh well!

Portland, OR
              United States
              Member #145973
              August 20, 2013
              226 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2016, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

When you file taxes in your state, you'll be taxed for that income anyway.   There is no advantage in playing lottery in a no-tax state other than maybe "some" anonymity.  Unless you are a resident of the no-tax state, you still have to pay state taxes on the windfall.  I just learned that anyway.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

United States
                Member #171734
                January 11, 2016
                127 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

When you file taxes in your state, you'll be taxed for that income anyway.   There is no advantage in playing lottery in a no-tax state other than maybe "some" anonymity.  Unless you are a resident of the no-tax state, you still have to pay state taxes on the windfall.  I just learned that anyway.

If you have the winning lottery ticket from another state that charges no tax on lottery winnings I would suggest you pack your bags and move there prior to cashing it in.  Kiss your old high tax state goodbye.

So I do think there is an advantage to buying your tickets out of state if you aren't in a low tax state if you believe you are going to beat the 300 million to 1 odds.

Portland, OR
                  United States
                  Member #145973
                  August 20, 2013
                  226 Posts
                  Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

If you have the winning lottery ticket from another state that charges no tax on lottery winnings I would suggest you pack your bags and move there prior to cashing it in.  Kiss your old high tax state goodbye.

So I do think there is an advantage to buying your tickets out of state if you aren't in a low tax state if you believe you are going to beat the 300 million to 1 odds.

Smile  Then your driver's license OR your ID card will show info. as to when you became a resident of the no-tax state or when you got the new driver's license.  Anyway, if that doesn't do it, the background check will and that's when they get you for sure.  I believe the background check will show even your previous name, if you changed it.  Background checks do have access to court records.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

brees2012's avatar - animal whale.jpg

United States
                    Member #125177
                    March 26, 2012
                    181 Posts
                    Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I live in Illinois a few miles from the Indiana border and almost always buy tickets in Indiana. Why?

1. Taxes are lower on winnings
                    2. I worked for the Illinois government for 9+ years and I don't trust them to do a good job getting me any winning money in an easy fashion.
                    3. If you win in Indiana you can withdraw your winnings from any Key bank location 2.5 hours after completing claim at central lottery office.

Frankly I would prefer to have anonymity upon winning but it takes 3 hours to drive to Ohio, oh well!

Illinois making lotto winners , wait for their money . It's not secret , it's been on the news .

United States
                      Member #171734
                      January 11, 2016
                      127 Posts
                      Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

Like I said, change your state of residence.

That means a new address and a new driver's license.  It doesn't matter than you used to live in the other state if you weren't a resident there when you earned the income.  The income is not earned until you cash the ticket. 

Example, you live in NYC until Jan 13th and earn $5000 from your job there.  On the 14th you pack up and move to California and take up residence there.  For the rest of the year you have a job in California that pays you $100,000.  New York and NYC only collect income taxes on $5000.  California only collects income tax on $100,000.  Now cash in a $800M lottery ticket on Jan 20th you purchased in California  on Jan 13th and you pay no income tax on that in California and New York has no claim on it either as you didn't earn that income until Jan 20th.

If you have a winning lottery ticket from a drawing in Dec it is often smart to wait until Jan to cash it in to move the income to the following year.  The same is true with your state of residency. 

Now if you bought a ticket in New York and cashed it in New York you can't claim the income isn't in New York even if your residence was in California when you cashed in the ticket or even when you bought the ticket.  They hand you the money in New York, it is income in New York.

Likewise if your residence is in New York and you fly to California to cash in a ticket you purchased there, New York is going to tax you on it because you were a New York resident at the time your earned the income and they tax the income of residents wherever the income is earned.

So don't be a resident of New York when you cash your ticket and don't buy it in New York so you don't have to cash it there.

United States
                        Member #171734
                        January 11, 2016
                        127 Posts
                        Posted: January 11, 2016, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

One more comment, a driver's license or ID card does not show when someone became a resident of a state. 

Your state of residence is not dependent on having an ID card or a driver's license at all and failing to get a new drivers license when you change your state of residence does not mean you aren't a resident of the new state.

But, as always, anyone who wins $800M should get competent legal advice while recognizing that buying a lottery ticket from a state that has no tax on lottery proceeds will never be a disadvantage (other than the potential costs of getting your tickets from there).

United States
                          Member #157567
                          July 23, 2014
                          2 Posts
                          Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

Like I said, change your state of residence.

That means a new address and a new driver's license.  It doesn't matter than you used to live in the other state if you weren't a resident there when you earned the income.  The income is not earned until you cash the ticket. 

Example, you live in NYC until Jan 13th and earn $5000 from your job there.  On the 14th you pack up and move to California and take up residence there.  For the rest of the year you have a job in California that pays you $100,000.  New York and NYC only collect income taxes on $5000.  California only collects income tax on $100,000.  Now cash in a $800M lottery ticket on Jan 20th you purchased in California  on Jan 13th and you pay no income tax on that in California and New York has no claim on it either as you didn't earn that income until Jan 20th.

If you have a winning lottery ticket from a drawing in Dec it is often smart to wait until Jan to cash it in to move the income to the following year.  The same is true with your state of residency. 

Now if you bought a ticket in New York and cashed it in New York you can't claim the income isn't in New York even if your residence was in California when you cashed in the ticket or even when you bought the ticket.  They hand you the money in New York, it is income in New York.

Likewise if your residence is in New York and you fly to California to cash in a ticket you purchased there, New York is going to tax you on it because you were a New York resident at the time your earned the income and they tax the income of residents wherever the income is earned.

So don't be a resident of New York when you cash your ticket and don't buy it in New York so you don't have to cash it there.

A little new to this forum so excuse quoting your whole post.

I don't believe you are going to be able to cash in a ticket bought from one state to another. If you bought the ticket in NY, you're going to have to cash it in NY. Some states even charge a non residents tax. Like someone else said if you bought it out of state for tax or anonymity reasons, move to that state before cashing it in

Portland, OR
                            United States
                            Member #145973
                            August 20, 2013
                            226 Posts
                            Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

One more comment, a driver's license or ID card does not show when someone became a resident of a state. 

Your state of residence is not dependent on having an ID card or a driver's license at all and failing to get a new drivers license when you change your state of residence does not mean you aren't a resident of the new state.

But, as always, anyone who wins $800M should get competent legal advice while recognizing that buying a lottery ticket from a state that has no tax on lottery proceeds will never be a disadvantage (other than the potential costs of getting your tickets from there).

"One more comment, a driver's license or ID card does not show when someone became a resident of a state."

No, but it gives the lottery the date you obtained the driver's license.  At least in Washington state.  So they know whether you moved to the state after the drawing to claim the pot or not.  Anyway, the background check usually confirms all of that.  But you could be right.  It could be a good strategy, but I would pass it through a tax professional first as this seems to be a gray area.  I'm sure the IRS will want to have their say.

Robert Greene

United States
                              Member #171734
                              January 11, 2016
                              127 Posts
                              Posted: January 11, 2016, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

A little new to this forum so excuse quoting your whole post.

I don't believe you are going to be able to cash in a ticket bought from one state to another. If you bought the ticket in NY, you're going to have to cash it in NY. Some states even charge a non residents tax. Like someone else said if you bought it out of state for tax or anonymity reasons, move to that state before cashing it in

I didn't say otherwise.

If you are a NYC resident, buy your lottery tickets from California and if you hit the jackpot move there and take up residency there before cashing in your ticket