Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Traveling out of state to buy lottery tickets?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 1 year ago by OneTrickpony.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149995
December 14, 2013
47 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2016, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

I know for sure that after Primm, Nevada, there's hardly anything in California for miles on I-15! But then again, I'm only on I-15.

If you don't see any 7-eleven, Gas Station, Wawa, Wal-mart, Grocery store? You do not have to wait for 6 hour stay in line.

It's worth to drive extra miles to get shorter line.  It's a good idea to use lotterypost app.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4146 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2016, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

"Lottery places the app is non responsive today- l get the reading off my phone that says " Unfortunately lottery-places has stopped". I drove through  Berkeley this morning and had my head on a swivel looking for vendors.  Finally found a few off University / Shattuck Ave. No lines though. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3857 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2016, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Before Primm people from Vegas went to Nipton, don't know is they still sell tickets or not.

Not too far from the border but a little off the beaten path.

For many years, Nipton had the highest sales of tickets for the California State Lottery. Because a store on the California side of Primm, Nevada began selling lottery tickets, Nipton lost top ranking, as Primm was easier and quicker to get to for Las Vegas-area residents and tourists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipton,_California

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nipton-trading-post-nipton

Yo COINTOSS,

Yea, Nipton still got tix.

in your link for the trading post, the pic. shows a sign for the 900JP

must be a recent picture.

There was a long line at Primm valley, I would just roll on by and go to Nipton.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

grwurston's avatar - 144
        Let's Go Rangers!!!
        bel air maryland
        United States
        Member #90251
        April 24, 2010
        5125 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2016, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Smile  Then your driver's license OR your ID card will show info. as to when you became a resident of the no-tax state or when you got the new driver's license.  Anyway, if that doesn't do it, the background check will and that's when they get you for sure.  I believe the background check will show even your previous name, if you changed it.  Background checks do have access to court records.

From USA MEGA.

If I live in a state that taxes prizes, but bought my ticket in a state with no tax on prizes, do I still need to pay state tax?

Yes, you do.  Think of lottery prizes as regular earned income from a job.  Just because you may work in a different state, that doesn't permit you to get away with not paying state income tax in your state of residence.  The lottery works the same way.

Whether it's income from a job or income from gambling, the state where the money is won will tax the prize first at their out-of-state tax rate (assuming the state taxes lottery winnings).  If your state of residence has the same or lower tax rate, then you won't owe anything else.  But if your state has a higher rate, you will get a credit for what you paid in the other state, and pay the difference to your state.

If the other state has no tax, you just pay the entire tax bill to your state.

The net result is that you end up paying whichever tax rate is higher between your state of residence and the state where you purchased the ticket.  Of course, the tax law is quite complex and it's possible that some condition or arrangement exists between the two states and a good tax attorney and/or accountant could discover a tax-saving loophole.  That's why we always recommend that major prize winners do not make any major decisions before first hiring a good legal and financial team.

One other option to consider, depending on how much in taxes you're looking to save: the residency requirements as they relate to prize claims, state taxes, and income reporting.  Since you aren't responsible for paying taxes until you claim the prize, perhaps there is time to establish residency in the state where you purchased the ticket before the prize claim period expires.  However, that is something you would definitely need to explore with an attorney before taking any action to assess the feasibility.  You would also need to decide if it would be worth the risk of that important little piece of paper not getting lost, damaged, or destroyed in the time you spend arranging everything.

What are the odds of winning?

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2016, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Yo COINTOSS,

Yea, Nipton still got tix.

in your link for the trading post, the pic. shows a sign for the 900JP

must be a recent picture.

There was a long line at Primm valley, I would just roll on by and go to Nipton.

haymaker,

Yeah, the second link looks loke some kind of site where people leave comments, one woman said something about lottery in Nipton and it was dated 2016.

I saw that line of people on the news and yup, it was Primm.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #165541
            April 12, 2015
            554 Posts
            Posted: January 12, 2016, 3:13 am - IP Logged

All this talk about Primm and Nipton, got me curious.  So I checked out YT.  Just some guy walking the entire line.

I couldn't but help smile and laugh.  And this was for a measly JP of $540 Million.   And I thought I was a lottery nut.

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: January 12, 2016, 3:52 am - IP Logged

There have been lots of reports in the news about people standing in long lines, waiting 2, 3, even 4 hours to buy lottery tickets because they go to a border store.

If you're going to travel to another state and buy tickets, be smart.  Use the Lottery Places app to find a store a bit farther in from the border so you're not waiting in line.

Or maybe you're near more than one other state, and you want to see and compare stores in both states at once.  The Lottery Places app can do that too, because it's the only app on the market that can find lottery retailers in every state and jurisdiction in the United States.

It's available for free download for every major platform:  iPhone (iOS), Android, Windows Phone, and Windows 8 and Windows 10 computers.  Every lottery player should have this app.

Mississippi lawmakers react to folks crossing state lines for Powerball

The promise of millions and now more than a billions dollars is prompting folks to buy Powerball tickets. But you can't do that in Mississippi.

"I don't see any difference I don't see any difference in bingo and the lottery," noted Representative Alyce Clarke-D.

"Mississippi is in the center of the Bible belt," explained Representative Gary Chism-R. "You know, even though we've got gaming. I think that we've got enough."

Money talks and video of cars coming from Mississippi into Delta, Louisiana, proved that folks will drive to get a ticket. That video was shown to different lawmakers who then reacted to that much money leaving the state.

"Sure a lot of suckers ain't it?," said Chism.

"I saw the line," described Rep. Alex Monsour-R. "I couldn't get off on that exit because there's no way to do it. So, I went a little further down the road."

"A lot of people dreaming, that's what I see," added Senate President Pro-Tempore Senator Terry Burton-R.

"We could be taking that same money that were taken to Louisiana and Tennessee and doing something for our children or for our roads," said Rep. Clarke.

Rep. Alyce Clarke has filed bills for more than a decade to get the lottery in Mississippi. She's never been successful.

"In states where they use it, they use it for education or they use it for the general fund," she explained.

Rep. Gary Chism thinks it's a waste of money.

"All it's going to do is be a sucker bet and it's going to take your money that might've gone for food, might've gone for other things," Chism noted.

When asked if he bought a ticket or had someone buy one for him, Chism replied, "No, I'm a Baptist. I didn't do either."

In 1992, the people of Mississippi voted in favor of a constitutional amendment to lift the ban establishing lotteries.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: January 12, 2016, 3:57 am - IP Logged

Mississippi lawmakers react to folks crossing state lines for Powerball

The promise of millions and now more than a billions dollars is prompting folks to buy Powerball tickets. But you can't do that in Mississippi.

"I don't see any difference I don't see any difference in bingo and the lottery," noted Representative Alyce Clarke-D.

"Mississippi is in the center of the Bible belt," explained Representative Gary Chism-R. "You know, even though we've got gaming. I think that we've got enough."

Money talks and video of cars coming from Mississippi into Delta, Louisiana, proved that folks will drive to get a ticket. That video was shown to different lawmakers who then reacted to that much money leaving the state.

"Sure a lot of suckers ain't it?," said Chism.

"I saw the line," described Rep. Alex Monsour-R. "I couldn't get off on that exit because there's no way to do it. So, I went a little further down the road."

"A lot of people dreaming, that's what I see," added Senate President Pro-Tempore Senator Terry Burton-R.

"We could be taking that same money that were taken to Louisiana and Tennessee and doing something for our children or for our roads," said Rep. Clarke.

Rep. Alyce Clarke has filed bills for more than a decade to get the lottery in Mississippi. She's never been successful.

"In states where they use it, they use it for education or they use it for the general fund," she explained.

Rep. Gary Chism thinks it's a waste of money.

"All it's going to do is be a sucker bet and it's going to take your money that might've gone for food, might've gone for other things," Chism noted.

When asked if he bought a ticket or had someone buy one for him, Chism replied, "No, I'm a Baptist. I didn't do either."

In 1992, the people of Mississippi voted in favor of a constitutional amendment to lift the ban establishing lotteries.

“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.”

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: January 12, 2016, 4:13 am - IP Logged

I know for sure that after Primm, Nevada, there's hardly anything in California for miles on I-15! But then again, I'm only on I-15.

Some states,such as Nevada, don’t have lotteries, which leads to strange scenes of people who drive miles and line up to buy tickets. Nevada’s loss is California’s gain, all that revenue leaving the state to fund education in California.

I like the Massachusetts lottery, the revenue raised is distributed to local governments and they can spend it as they wish. It is also the only US lottery that offers subscriptions throughout the United States, including in the states that don’t have state lotteries.

Gambling, right or wrong, is part of the human condition. It is far better to harness that desire and use the revenue for the public good. Let’s not make the perfect the enemy of the good.

Portland, OR
                    United States
                    Member #145973
                    August 20, 2013
                    226 Posts
                    Posted: January 12, 2016, 9:10 am - IP Logged

All this talk about Primm and Nipton, got me curious.  So I checked out YT.  Just some guy walking the entire line.

I couldn't but help smile and laugh.  And this was for a measly JP of $540 Million.   And I thought I was a lottery nut.

I just watched that video.  WOW!  Don't know what to say.  It is just sad.  Seen lines around here but 20 people the most.  There are convenience stores all over.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

United States
                      Member #34931
                      March 9, 2006
                      98 Posts
                      Posted: January 12, 2016, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

"Nevada’s loss is California’s gain"

Another option.

Tami333's avatar - winifrid
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #139344
                        February 20, 2013
                        1191 Posts
                        Posted: January 12, 2016, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

OMG!!  Wonder what would happen if you offered the guy in front $100 to take cuts.  LOL  You would probably get beat up!

OneTrickpony's avatar - thought

United States
                          Member #167657
                          July 25, 2015
                          71 Posts
                          Posted: January 13, 2016, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

OMG!!  Wonder what would happen if you offered the guy in front $100 to take cuts.  LOL  You would probably get beat up!

I wonder if some entrepreneurial spirit with $200 has driven a little further into California, bought 100 single $2 tickets, drove back to Primm Valley and started selling them to the back of the line for $5 a pop?