Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Spending Amounts - Jan 9 2015 Drawing

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 11 months ago by lcoleman.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How much did you spend on Powerball for the Saturday Jan 9 2015 drawing?

$0 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$2 - $3 [ 7 ]  [14.89%]
$4 - $9 [ 10 ]  [21.28%]
$10 - $19 [ 7 ]  [14.89%]
$20 - $49 [ 15 ]  [31.91%]
$50 - $99 [ 3 ]  [6.38%]
$101 - $200 [ 4 ]  [8.51%]
$201 - $300 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$301 - $999 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$1000 or more [ 1 ]  [2.13%]
Total Valid Votes [ 47 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Member #128906
June 5, 2012
591 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2016, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Considering $880 million was wagered trying to match 5 of 69 numbers and 1 of 26 numbers, nobody won the jackpot, and 65% of the tickets matched 0 numbers and didn't match the bonus number either, maybe a better questions is "how many tickets are necessary to get a reasonable chance of winning the jackpot".

Very true, I hope this backfires... I'll play 2 lines, that's all.  We had 50 lines for a workpool and didn't win anything back.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
    Member #142499
    May 13, 2013
    1183 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2016, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

That reminds me of the time when the Euro was £126m, I was pretty excited and started looking at houses/apartments & cars online just for the hell of it then when the draw happened I obviously didn't hit a thing and it was back to work the next day haha.

I haven't used those online services before but I may look into it, not sure how I feel about them to be honest.

Hope you hit the JP!

Maybe it's matter of having gotten excited so many times before only to have people like Marie Holmes win it. LOL. Or the winners I despise the most, the ones who change nothing. Stay in the same house, drive the same car, wear the same clothes, still go in to the same job, and hate to travel. ThudThose winners are right up there with the ones who squander everything then claim the lottery is a curse on mankind. 

I picked out my dream home over a year ago (my previous dream home was sold) and I've already redecorated it in my head. I have a pretty solid plan of how to choose my legal and financial team, and everything about how my charity will work and who it will help are things I figured out a while back. But lately, I've sorta been of the mindset that it isn't the prepared who win. Hence the much lower excitement level for me right now.  Seems as is if the people who stand a better chance of winning are those who never plan, don't know what to do, don't want to create a lasting legacy, or the ones who have people around them that they allow to suck them dry.

I may not be jackpot fatigued so much as I'm stupid winner fatigued.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Arizona
      United States
      Member #165073
      March 24, 2015
      220 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2016, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Considering $880 million was wagered trying to match 5 of 69 numbers and 1 of 26 numbers, nobody won the jackpot, and 65% of the tickets matched 0 numbers and didn't match the bonus number either, maybe a better questions is "how many tickets are necessary to get a reasonable chance of winning the jackpot".

It takes 202.4 million tickets for there to be a better than 50% chance of a PB winner.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
        Member #169277
        October 10, 2015
        630 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2016, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

"Stay in the same house, drive the same car, wear the same clothes, still go in to the same job, and hate to travel." 

Would it be OK with you if I still wore the same clothes, so long as I get a new house and a couple of new cars?  And no job, definately no job. 

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7314 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2016, 4:04 am - IP Logged

Very true, I hope this backfires... I'll play 2 lines, that's all.  We had 50 lines for a workpool and didn't win anything back.

I can't think of a sound playing strategy for winning the jackpot and I really doubt any of the "experts" have one either. If anything this jackpot run should prove to all the players just how difficult the game really is. I don't even play PB or MM until the jackpot reaches what I believe is a reasonable chance that is will be won and this will be the third consecutive drawing for me.

I getting five tickets with powerplay and use the same bonus number on each. Good Luck!

mightwin's avatar - questns

United States
            Member #103786
            January 5, 2011
            486 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2016, 5:10 am - IP Logged

Spent $40 on Saturday, zero return... its all good though

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
              South Carolina
              United States
              Member #77167
              July 15, 2009
              556 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2016, 7:12 am - IP Logged

Will be playing the same 2 quick pick tickets on the 13th.  Hope I have better luck this time.  Smile

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                Brooklyn, NY
                United States
                Member #169723
                October 29, 2015
                878 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2016, 10:31 am - IP Logged

It takes only ONE ticket to win! It just has to be that 1 of the 292 million to 1 possibilities available.

You have the same odds in winning the jackpot with 1 ticket as you do with 20, 50, 100, 1000, or even 1,000,000. The odds of winning don't change with the amount of tickets you purchase.

What does change is only the amount of chances you have of winning a prize. And, you can't win anything if you don't buy at least 1 ticket.

Anyone remember the movie "Willy Wonka & the chocolate factory"? All those kids bought lots and lots of chocolate bars to find the GOLDEN TICKET, And poor little Charlie bought just ONE! That's how it is with the lottery!

You have to be at the right place, at the right time and have the numbers that are printed on your ticket match those that are drawn. Simple....right? US Flag

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
                  Member #170889
                  December 22, 2015
                  29 Posts
                  Posted: January 11, 2016, 11:31 am - IP Logged

It takes only ONE ticket to win! It just has to be that 1 of the 292 million to 1 possibilities available.

You have the same odds in winning the jackpot with 1 ticket as you do with 20, 50, 100, 1000, or even 1,000,000. The odds of winning don't change with the amount of tickets you purchase.

What does change is only the amount of chances you have of winning a prize. And, you can't win anything if you don't buy at least 1 ticket.

Anyone remember the movie "Willy Wonka & the chocolate factory"? All those kids bought lots and lots of chocolate bars to find the GOLDEN TICKET, And poor little Charlie bought just ONE! That's how it is with the lottery!

You have to be at the right place, at the right time and have the numbers that are printed on your ticket match those that are drawn. Simple....right? US Flag

First part is wrong... any increase in chances of winning increases the odds of winning. If you buy 1M tickets your odds of winning are almost about 1/293 instead of 1/293000000. That's the simplified model. It's really (1,000,000-#ofDuplicateLines)/293,000,000.

Your odds of winning per ticket would not increase. But when you buy multiple tickets in a draw you sum the probabilities to get your overall probability.

"You have to be at the right place, at the right time and have the numbers that are printed on your ticket match those that are drawn"

This isn't exactly true if you want to get into some interpretations of how quantum mechanics affect the universe on a macroscale. What you propose would only be possible if we assume we live in a world that can be defined purely by classical physics laws.