Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymity for this huge jackpot. Let's settle this right here and now.

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 11 months ago by urrutiap.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Winner$inDC's avatar - hi
Washington dc
United States
Member #171825
January 12, 2016
7 Posts
Posted: January 13, 2016, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Where I live I go pass lottery headquarters on the bus all the time. I could very well consider doing that ...... might be dangerous on the way back however and could ask a friend to do me a favor and get an Uber for me.  They won't know who they're picking up, if someone gets it out of them they'll only have the friends info.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
    Greenville, SC
    United States
    Member #169870
    November 4, 2015
    374 Posts
    Posted: January 13, 2016, 11:06 am - IP Logged

You have 180 days from the time of the draw. Plus, it'd be a good idea to wait until there's another big jackpot. That way most people are focused on that and not some past winner. Well, not as much.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #77167
      July 15, 2009
      554 Posts
      Posted: January 13, 2016, 11:34 am - IP Logged

In my case, they'd get their money before I even claim the ticket. I'd take out a substantial loan beforehand. And they wouldn't even know why they were going to whatever I'd tell them to go to. It wouldn't matter if they talked. In fact, it wouldn't be in their best interest to talk. People would know they got a piece and would be trying to hit them up for cash. I'd be in hiding after writing the checks.  I'd go public, get the publicity crap over with, and then disappear to somewhere in the world. Family and friends would only talk if they found out you won and didn't share with them.

If you win in SC you can stay anonymous.  If you choose you can go public-something I think you want to do for some reason.  I've read some other posts from you leaning in that direction.  You might want to re-think that.  Good luck to us all.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

mdmegamillplyr's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
        Baltimore, MD
        United States
        Member #67219
        November 20, 2008
        105 Posts
        Posted: January 13, 2016, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

What are the anonymity laws in Maryland?

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3850 Posts
          Posted: January 13, 2016, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Or you can do what David Edwards did:

Edwards -- who hired an armed guard to protect his

winning tickets after Saturday's drawing and traveled to Louisville for Monday's news

conference with bodyguards -- conceded his life would change drastically after winning millions.

Yesterday when buying tix I used his method where you look at the bet slip and pick the #s that "jump Out" at you.

He called it letting the #s pick you.

Other then that, and win, I don't want to do anything Edwards did.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

The land of Canals
            United States
            Member #137589
            January 7, 2013
            168 Posts
            Posted: January 13, 2016, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

What are the anonymity laws in Maryland?

You  can remain anonymous in Maryland so if you win, you should be all set!

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” 
             Steve Martin

Cool

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1182 Posts
              Posted: January 13, 2016, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

The jackpot will probably be over $1 billion in cash, Tipton was found guilty rigging the Hot Lotto game, was caught because Iowa requires the identity of whomever bought the ticket, yet we still have LP members who apparently can't comprehend why at times the identity of the winner is necessary.

Nope, sorry. I don't agree with mandating someone's identity be made public.

The whole situation with Tipton didn't happen because the state was required to release an identity to the public, it happened because the lawyer trying to make the claim was an idiot. The same questions are asked as routine in anonymous and non-anonymous states. The fact that he couldn't provide answers to any of the security questions (over the phone, btw) is what tripped this up. Then when he tried again but with a completely different story, he and that ticket were red flagged without anyone stepping foot inside a lottery office or placed in front of a camera.

The lottery wants us to believe total and complete transparency is required to keep the game honest, but they gave total and complete anonymity to one of Tipton's accomplices. A person actually involved in a multi-million dollar scam on the lottery and we, the people who buy lottery tickets aren't allowed to know that person's identity, but they need to publish a winner's identity to maintain the game's integrity. Talk about utter and complete BS. 

I've often said that once we have a billion dollar winner, we should hold the lottery responsible for any harm coming to that winner or his family just because MUSL wants their free publicity. 

The people who have suspicious minds already think the lottery is rigged, so who cares if they need to see a person's face in front of their tv screens to believe a real person won. Their need to know is of less importance than an individual's safety and peace of mind.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

South Dakota
                United States
                Member #24149
                October 19, 2005
                23 Posts
                Posted: January 13, 2016, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

If I won the Powerball, here's what I would really do

Do nothing for a whole month. Eventually the media and people will get bored of you. Then they will go nuts over the next big Powerball jackpot and next winner.

Casually go out and have fun the next month or whatever.  Bring family members so you can feel safe. Go to a McDonals or something. Seriously.

Then the next 3-5 years everyone else in america will forget about you.

Im 35 so with all the million bucks powerball jackpot ill be living well for life until the day i die of a heart attack or one of those brain anuerysm thingies.

South Dakota
                  United States
                  Member #24149
                  October 19, 2005
                  23 Posts
                  Posted: January 13, 2016, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Plus there's shady people out there, kidnappings going on etc. Better to just stay indoors for the next 5 years