Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The "Holy Grail"

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 10 months ago by BobP.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
North Frankloin
United States
Member #62272
June 23, 2008
4 Posts
Posted: January 14, 2016, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone! I’ve been a “student” of using mathematics-based Strategies to play the lottery for close to 10 years now. I’ve tried a few and simulated many, but I’ve never found what I consider to be the “Holy Grail”. At this point I’m thinking that either I haven’t stumbled onto it yet, or my expectations relative to the “Holy Grail” are not achievable.

The “Holy Grail” I refer to is this: identify a Strategy that hits at a rate significantly greater than that you would expect based on the number of combinations the Strategy generates.

For example (using a typical Pick 3 game):

Strategy A says “select 1 at random from all Triples”. The Strategy hits at a rate of 1% ( 10/1000), and when it hits, your odds of winning are 1/10. Overall odds are 1/1000 (obviously).

Strategy B says “select 1 at random from the 10 that this super-duper mysterious Strategy generates”. Based on historical data, the Strategy hits at a rate of 3%, and when it hits, your odds of winning are 1/10. Overall odds are 1/333, so Strategy B yields odds significantly better than 1/1000.

So the question on the table is this: is Strategy B even possible? Anyone can come up with simple (or complicated) Strategies that significantly reduce the pool of numbers, but if the DOC of the Strategy HAS to go down by proportionally the same amount, the odds are still 1/1000, so isn’t it a moot point?

No matter how small the pool of numbers it generated, no Strategy I’ve ever looked at showed an improvement in odds. Please set me straight if I’m missing something . . .

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: January 14, 2016, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone! I’ve been a “student” of using mathematics-based Strategies to play the lottery for close to 10 years now. I’ve tried a few and simulated many, but I’ve never found what I consider to be the “Holy Grail”. At this point I’m thinking that either I haven’t stumbled onto it yet, or my expectations relative to the “Holy Grail” are not achievable.

The “Holy Grail” I refer to is this: identify a Strategy that hits at a rate significantly greater than that you would expect based on the number of combinations the Strategy generates.

Strategy A says “select 1 at random from all Triples”. The Strategy hits at a rate of 1% ( 10/1000), and when it hits, your odds of winning are 1/10. Overall odds are 1/1000 (obviously).

Strategy B says “select 1 at random from the 10 that this super-duper mysterious Strategy generates”. Based on historical data, the Strategy hits at a rate of 3%, and when it hits, your odds of winning are 1/10. Overall odds are 1/333, so Strategy B yields odds significantly better than 1/1000.

So the question on the table is this: is Strategy B even possible? Anyone can come up with simple (or complicated) Strategies that significantly reduce the pool of numbers, but if the DOC of the Strategy HAS to go down by proportionally the same amount, the odds are still 1/1000, so isn’t it a moot point?

No matter how small the pool of numbers it generated, no Strategy I’ve ever looked at showed an improvement in odds. Please set me straight if I’m missing something . . .

I'm curious as to why people keep approaching choosing a "consistent strategy" from the perspective of what the Odds are, and what the number pool is from which a winning number could be drawn ???

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter what the Odds are !!!  Worrying about the Odds creates a psychological barrier to winning !!! 

Likewise, if you focus on the belief that the lottery is random, coupled with the belief that there is a large pool of numbers for both Pick 3 & Pick 4 from which the winning number could be drawn, this creates yet another psychological and strategic barrier to winning !!!

If I have chosen a Pick 3 pair [12X or 11x] of numbers to play, that are very likely to hit, then the pool of numbers to be concerned about is only 10 numbers [12X (X = digits 0 - 9)], not 120 numbers !!! 

Likewise, if I am playing a particular Pick 3 Vtrac string that comes out regularly every month [v125], then the number pool to be concerned about is only 8 numbers !!! 

Same analogy for Pick 4

My Mind never considers more than 8 - 10 numbers in a Pick 3 number pool, or 10 - 16 numbers in a Pick 4 number pool, [10 = 123X (X = Digits 0 - 9); 16 = Pick 4 Vtrac like v2345]. I play Pick 4 by Triads, not Doubles !

No one should be bothered with a strategy that narrows down 120 numbers, b/c this approach  isn't Necessary !!!

Krypton
      United States
      Member #140102
      March 11, 2013
      891 Posts
      Posted: January 14, 2016, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious as to why people keep approaching choosing a "consistent strategy" from the perspective of what the Odds are, and what the number pool is from which a winning number could be drawn ???

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter what the Odds are !!!  Worrying about the Odds creates a psychological barrier to winning !!! 

Likewise, if you focus on the belief that the lottery is random, coupled with the belief that there is a large pool of numbers for both Pick 3 & Pick 4 from which the winning number could be drawn, this creates yet another psychological and strategic barrier to winning !!!

If I have chosen a Pick 3 pair [12X or 11x] of numbers to play, that are very likely to hit, then the pool of numbers to be concerned about is only 10 numbers [12X (X = digits 0 - 9)], not 120 numbers !!! 

Likewise, if I am playing a particular Pick 3 Vtrac string that comes out regularly every month [v125], then the number pool to be concerned about is only 8 numbers !!! 

Same analogy for Pick 4

My Mind never considers more than 8 - 10 numbers in a Pick 3 number pool, or 10 - 16 numbers in a Pick 4 number pool, [10 = 123X (X = Digits 0 - 9); 16 = Pick 4 Vtrac like v2345]. I play Pick 4 by Triads, not Doubles !

No one should be bothered with a strategy that narrows down 120 numbers, b/c this approach  isn't Necessary !!!

I would have to agree with DC.  Here's my logic and thoughts on random and odds.  A short story but true.  Using real names too lol

joe tells me yesterday he will never win the jackpot and the odds are in the millions.  I said "ya know Joe, your right and if you keep telling yourself that it becomes your reality"  Joe says " your always lucky" 

i couldn't agree with a Joe more.  Do I win often? You betcha. My odds are 50/50.  When I buy a ticket I'm going to win or lose.  It's as simple as that.   Once you engrave something into your sub conscience it's time to re-evaluate what your trying to accomplish.  I use the Law of Attraction to my advantage.  Did this happen over night?  No , it took almost 3 years of flat out lieing to myself lol seriously ..... IMHO the lottery is NOT random.....if it were ....why does a back digit (the ones position) repeat 100% of the time?  Yup 100%.  Now, someone prove me wrong lol. This is just 1 thing I see and there are quite a few. 

I could go on and on but I think I got my point across.  I never throw daggers so please don't take this as an attract (-: , not my style , just stating my experience and what I've seen over the years 

if you think the LOA doesn't work , take a step back at .... Let's say ..... I'm sure you love something.  Whatever that is (spouse , Car, girl friend, boy friend, stereo ) when you first saw this "whatever" you said to yourself " I've got to have this, I want this" .... So in your sub conscience you did "whatever" it took to get this "whatever" and guess what?   You have that "whatever"    IMHO you gave to treat the lotto the same way, if you don't you won't ever win 

Good Luck to all!!

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

United States
        Member #171734
        January 11, 2016
        127 Posts
        Posted: January 14, 2016, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

You aren't missing anything, there is no strategy that overcomes the mathematics of probability theory

Other than rigging the game, but that is generally illegal.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
          LAS VEGAS
          United States
          Member #47729
          November 22, 2006
          4494 Posts
          Posted: January 14, 2016, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Same analogy for Pick 4

I Agree!

Well done destinycreation.

WANTED BOTTOM LINE:  don't tell us the odds just show us how to win!

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."

- Lao Tzu
          Fortes Fortuna Juvat
          Eddessa_Knight w/Light Sun Smiley

United States
            Member #171734
            January 11, 2016
            127 Posts
            Posted: January 14, 2016, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Well done destinycreation.

WANTED BOTTOM LINE:  don't tell us the odds just show us how to win!

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."

- Lao Tzu
            Fortes Fortuna Juvat
            Eddessa_Knight w/Light Sun Smiley

I can absolutely tell you how to win, take the money you were going to put into lottery tickets in an index fund, in the bank or even under your mattress.

The lottery took in $2.6B since the last winner was drawn and paid out less than $1B.   So I guess my other advice would be, if you want to make money off lottery tickets, you want to be running the lottery not buying the tickets.

But if you want to buy lottery tickets for fun and sport, go for it and have a blast.  Dream big but don't bet your rent money because you are going to lose it.

Krypton
              United States
              Member #140102
              March 11, 2013
              891 Posts
              Posted: January 15, 2016, 4:55 am - IP Logged

I can absolutely tell you how to win, take the money you were going to put into lottery tickets in an index fund, in the bank or even under your mattress.

The lottery took in $2.6B since the last winner was drawn and paid out less than $1B.   So I guess my other advice would be, if you want to make money off lottery tickets, you want to be running the lottery not buying the tickets.

But if you want to buy lottery tickets for fun and sport, go for it and have a blast.  Dream big but don't bet your rent money because you are going to lose it.

All I can say is if it weren't for the lottery I wouldn't have been able to quit my job in 2010, spend more time with my family, take more vacations, have box seats at Cowboys stadium, buy new cars, building a new home and the best part of all of this is I cash OUT my 401k years ago and would NEVER invest in anyone other than myself (-: .  IMHO your comment above is a your opinion.  My comment is a fact (-:

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                United States
                Member #4924
                June 3, 2004
                5893 Posts
                Posted: January 15, 2016, 5:17 am - IP Logged

I would have to agree with DC.  Here's my logic and thoughts on random and odds.  A short story but true.  Using real names too lol

joe tells me yesterday he will never win the jackpot and the odds are in the millions.  I said "ya know Joe, your right and if you keep telling yourself that it becomes your reality"  Joe says " your always lucky" 

i couldn't agree with a Joe more.  Do I win often? You betcha. My odds are 50/50.  When I buy a ticket I'm going to win or lose.  It's as simple as that.   Once you engrave something into your sub conscience it's time to re-evaluate what your trying to accomplish.  I use the Law of Attraction to my advantage.  Did this happen over night?  No , it took almost 3 years of flat out lieing to myself lol seriously ..... IMHO the lottery is NOT random.....if it were ....why does a back digit (the ones position) repeat 100% of the time?  Yup 100%.  Now, someone prove me wrong lol. This is just 1 thing I see and there are quite a few. 

I could go on and on but I think I got my point across.  I never throw daggers so please don't take this as an attract (-: , not my style , just stating my experience and what I've seen over the years 

if you think the LOA doesn't work , take a step back at .... Let's say ..... I'm sure you love something.  Whatever that is (spouse , Car, girl friend, boy friend, stereo ) when you first saw this "whatever" you said to yourself " I've got to have this, I want this" .... So in your sub conscience you did "whatever" it took to get this "whatever" and guess what?   You have that "whatever"    IMHO you gave to treat the lotto the same way, if you don't you won't ever win 

Good Luck to all!!

"IMHO the lottery is NOT random.....if it were ....why does a back digit (the ones position) repeat 100% of the time?"

I agree with this assessment, can you go in to detail about the statement in red?

United States
                  Member #171734
                  January 11, 2016
                  127 Posts
                  Posted: January 16, 2016, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

All I can say is if it weren't for the lottery I wouldn't have been able to quit my job in 2010, spend more time with my family, take more vacations, have box seats at Cowboys stadium, buy new cars, building a new home and the best part of all of this is I cash OUT my 401k years ago and would NEVER invest in anyone other than myself (-: .  IMHO your comment above is a your opinion.  My comment is a fact (-:

I provided a way to absolutely win.

One of about every 12 million Powerball tickets will result in someone winning $1M before taxes, but it also leaves the other 12 million ticket buyers $2 poorer for a net loss to lottery players of $23million.

The lottery is not a way to make money, though 1 in every 12 million tickets do make someone a fair amount of money and one in every 292 million makes someone some very wealthy.

That is a fact, not an opinion.

Which isn't to say there is anything wrong with throwing down $2 and hoping you get struck by lightning, it just isn't a sound financial plan.

SF Bay Area
                    United States
                    Member #172141
                    January 16, 2016
                    2 Posts
                    Posted: January 16, 2016, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

I provided a way to absolutely win.

One of about every 12 million Powerball tickets will result in someone winning $1M before taxes, but it also leaves the other 12 million ticket buyers $2 poorer for a net loss to lottery players of $23million.

The lottery is not a way to make money, though 1 in every 12 million tickets do make someone a fair amount of money and one in every 292 million makes someone some very wealthy.

That is a fact, not an opinion.

Which isn't to say there is anything wrong with throwing down $2 and hoping you get struck by lightning, it just isn't a sound financial plan.

Just for reference, per the NOAA, the chances of getting struck by lightning are approximately 1 in 1,190,000 (see www dot lightningsafety dot noaa dot gov slash odds.shtml - new member, can't post links)

Therefore, you are approximately 245 times more likely to be struck by lightning this year than winning the Powerball lottery if you purchase 1 ticket. Purchase 245 tickets this year, and your odds are about equal...

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #126774
                      April 16, 2012
                      1434 Posts
                      Posted: January 23, 2016, 3:15 am - IP Logged

"IMHO the lottery is NOT random.....if it were ....why does a back digit (the ones position) repeat 100% of the time?"

I agree with this assessment, can you go in to detail about the statement in red?

I don't get it? Back digit, of the pair, or the 3rd digit in a Pick 3? Ones position? Can you give an example please.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                        ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                        United States
                        Member #4924
                        June 3, 2004
                        5893 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2016, 4:21 am - IP Logged

I don't get it? Back digit, of the pair, or the 3rd digit in a Pick 3? Ones position? Can you give an example please.

Haven't got a response yet, SM.

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
                          Member #51269
                          April 3, 2007
                          529 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2016, 6:14 am - IP Logged

Same analogy for Pick 4

It is random.  Period.  It's just that humans have the ability to see patterns, even where there are none and thus these "patterns" can be followed.  It's an illusion of non-randomness.  For example, if you keep seeing Micky Mouse in cloud formations every other day, eventually you'll be able to guess that a Micky Mouse cloud will appear a day from now.  It doesn't mean the cloud formations aren't random.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                            Dump Water Florida
                            United States
                            Member #380
                            June 5, 2002
                            3102 Posts
                            Posted: January 23, 2016, 9:27 am - IP Logged

It's a closed number universe, the odds can not change no matter what you do.

A strategy improves the odds in some draws balanced by making it impossible to win in others.

You decide when to apply a strategy, the choices you make determine whether you win or lose.

BobP

United States
                              Member #171734
                              January 11, 2016
                              127 Posts
                              Posted: January 23, 2016, 10:50 am - IP Logged

It's a closed number universe, the odds can not change no matter what you do.

A strategy improves the odds in some draws balanced by making it impossible to win in others.

You decide when to apply a strategy, the choices you make determine whether you win or lose.

BobP

the odds can not change no matter what you do.

Two logically inconsistent statements

The second being factually incorrect

Describe a Powerball/Pick-3/...  strategy that makes it "impossible to win".