Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball reaching record jackpots due to the odds just got harder?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 months ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: January 19, 2016, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

The Robinson's didn't care about the probability of not winning, yet they won. So probability does not always mean much.

Arizona
    United States
    Member #165073
    March 24, 2015
    220 Posts
    Posted: January 19, 2016, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

As hard as it is to win it seems logical and more "probable"  now than before. Can you prove otherwise? I didn't think so. Whatever it does it does but with the higher odds it would make sense. I would not be surprised if it was back up there by March-April.

More probable now than before, yes. But not that much more likely.

PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2016, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

MM needs to stay the same as I play that more because it is a dollar and better odds. I would just not play both games even less if they changed it, especially the price. I would stick to smaller jackpot games. I like to play MM until the PB gets so astronomically high that I feel it is then worth spending $2.00. Why not just add 50 more white balls and 20 more red balls then and get trillion dollar jackpots? Would just get even more ridiculous.

PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2016, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

I guess they don't know much about probability either because the reason that they changed the matrix was to create Billion dollar jackpots. And that they did, a lot quicker than they had thought as they were hoping by 2022. Since they made it harder you are going to see more higher jackpots now, and Billion dollar jackpots more often as that was the reason they changed it.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5586 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2016, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I guess they don't know much about probability either because the reason that they changed the matrix was to create Billion dollar jackpots. And that they did, a lot quicker than they had thought as they were hoping by 2022. Since they made it harder you are going to see more higher jackpots now, and Billion dollar jackpots more often as that was the reason they changed it.

There was a winner 9 draws after they changed the matrix last year. Then the big run. So it's hard to tell how often we'll see billion dollar jackpots.

I'm sure there will be more, but....how often???

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Arizona
            United States
            Member #165073
            March 24, 2015
            220 Posts
            Posted: January 19, 2016, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

There was a winner 9 draws after they changed the matrix last year. Then the big run. So it's hard to tell how often we'll see billion dollar jackpots.

I'm sure there will be more, but....how often???

Two or three per decade, maybe less. As time goes on and people get used to seeing 500M jackpots, and we no longer have everyone rushing out to buy lots of tickets, it may take one more rollover to reach the billion-dollar mark, which will make getting there less likely.

PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2016, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Yeah but the first one could have been the "fluke" also. The harder odds seems to favor more up in that range over time. I highly doubt it will be only 3 in 10 years. They will change the matrix again if they don't see it going up more often. We will definitely be seeing it in the middle to upper hundred millions more often.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3471 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2016, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Yeah but the first one could have been the "fluke" also. The harder odds seems to favor more up in that range over time. I highly doubt it will be only 3 in 10 years. They will change the matrix again if they don't see it going up more often. We will definitely be seeing it in the middle to upper hundred millions more often.

"As hard as it is to win it seems logical and more "probable"  now than before."

Of course it is, but that's not what you said earlier. Murgatroyd said billion dollar jackpots are likely to happen 2 or 3 times per decade, and you said that you think they'll be "much more frequent than that now".

"I highly doubt it will be only 3 in 10 years."

You can doubt it as much as you like, but that doesn't change reality. You've obviously got no clue about the actual probability. If you think I can't prove that it's unlikely to be more common than that you must not understand probability at all. The numbers are different, but calculating the chances of a billion dollar jackpot is the same as calculating the chances of getting 6 heads in a row.

"first one could have been the "fluke" also."

Just more proof that you don't actually know. You think it might or might not have been a fluke, but you don't have the knowledge to do anything more than make an uninformed guess. It's about the same as saying that you think that 2+2 is pretty close to 5.

"they changed the matrix was to create Billion dollar jackpots"

They changed the matrix in the hopes of increasing total ticket sales. They don't actually care how big the jackpots are, except for marketing hype and the correlation between sales and the size of the jackpot.