Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The ugly side of the win. How would you deal with close family and friends who...?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 10 months ago by maoer!.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #50273
March 3, 2007
348 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2016, 8:52 am - IP Logged

The ugly side of the win.  How would you feel and deal with very close family and friends who've been normal for as long as you've known them who now all of a sudden, want to spend, count, and control your new wealth? Because they are so close to you, they believe they are entitled to a MUCH larger "gift" than you were thinking of giving them.  They also think just because you all are so  close, you MUST invest in whatever hair brained scheme they come up with, because, after all, you are rich and that (insert $$$ amount here) they are asking for is nothing for someone like you.

Or your mother, father, or brothers or sisters, or even children thinking you should DIVIDE the entire jackpot evenly amongst the family.  How would you handle that?  Remember, these are folks who for all intents and purposes are there for you all your life.  But you feel their new requests are a bit much and selfish.

Would love to hear your responses.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

New Jersey
    United States
    Member #50273
    March 3, 2007
    348 Posts
    Posted: January 18, 2016, 9:03 am - IP Logged

I believe this is a HUGE part of why so many jackpot winners go broke within a few years.  Their family and friends all think they won too and they are quick to try and guilt you into spending your money the way they want to.  When you buy a house, they want a new house too.  When you buy a car, they want a new car too.  When you go shopping, of course, they want to tag along and of course they will want stuff too. 

I don't mean the normal people who wouldn't accept anything in excess or be sitting there with a puppy dog face or trying to guilt you into buying the same Rolex for them that you just bought for yourself.  I'm talking about the other kind of people.  The ones with the greedy gimmies.

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #140684
      March 24, 2013
      566 Posts
      Posted: January 18, 2016, 9:44 am - IP Logged

Nope, no way I am giving any 'loans' or gifts to anyone......

The only person I would gift something to is my Mum.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3300 Posts
        Posted: January 18, 2016, 9:51 am - IP Logged

I have already promised cars to 2 people, i guess  ill know how much of a win  they  consider large enough to get that car, im thinking the US power ball jackpot. I dont have any close family or friends who my money is any of their business now,. ill give what i give, which is $1m trust money paying them a monthly  allowance. and thats just family. ohh and thats also based on a massive powerball win, AUST or US powerball

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #50273
          March 3, 2007
          348 Posts
          Posted: January 18, 2016, 10:19 am - IP Logged

I have a distant cousin who came into a $300k windfall (from an accident lawsuit) when she was 17.  Her mother, who everyone thought was the sweetest and most kindest person you'd ever meet, completely guilted my cousin into blowing it all.  Her mother RENTED a home for $2500 per month (this was in the early 90's), bought a brand new Nissan maxima, furnished that house with furniture rented from Rent a Center, bought herself a new wardrobe and jewelery, and lavished her no good boyfriend (whom my cousin absolutely hated) with gifts as well.  She bought my cousin (with her money) a few new outfits and that's it.  To this day, my cousin doesn't speak to her mom.

London
            United Kingdom
            Member #140684
            March 24, 2013
            566 Posts
            Posted: January 18, 2016, 10:23 am - IP Logged

I have a distant cousin who came into a $300k windfall (from an accident lawsuit) when she was 17.  Her mother, who everyone thought was the sweetest and most kindest person you'd ever meet, completely guilted my cousin into blowing it all.  Her mother RENTED a home for $2500 per month (this was in the early 90's), bought a brand new Nissan maxima, furnished that house with furniture rented from Rent a Center, bought herself a new wardrobe and jewelery, and lavished her no good boyfriend (whom my cousin absolutely hated) with gifts as well.  She bought my cousin (with her money) a few new outfits and that's it.  To this day, my cousin doesn't speak to her mom.

Greed changes people... Unhappy

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
              South Carolina
              United States
              Member #77167
              July 15, 2009
              556 Posts
              Posted: January 18, 2016, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Just tell the ones who are bold enough to ask-I'm sorry, I took the annuity and all requests are being handled my attorney Algonquin J. Calhoun. Wink  and then I'd see if they are silly enough to try to find him--Green laugh

The ones I want to give something will get the $14,000 gift.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #50273
                March 3, 2007
                348 Posts
                Posted: January 18, 2016, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Just tell the ones who are bold enough to ask-I'm sorry, I took the annuity and all requests are being handled my attorney Algonquin J. Calhoun. Wink  and then I'd see if they are silly enough to try to find him--Green laugh

The ones I want to give something will get the $14,000 gift.

Algonquin J Calhoun...  I swear that made my day!  I'm laughing soooo hard over here!

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #150273
                  December 18, 2013
                  495 Posts
                  Posted: January 18, 2016, 11:28 am - IP Logged

I really do hate these kinds of threads..they always assume the worst in people and don't like reading how winners are going to stick it to them and set them straight. A lot of people, yes your family and friends, are struggling and having a hard time..it's only natural if you win millions or even a billion that they could only  hope you would help them out...that doesn't make them a bad person for hoping you will or asking.

All too often we never hear about those kinds of friends and family members...it's alway those other ones who a potential lottery winner will set straight. It's just a debbie downer to read the negative attitudes towards those less fortunate.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                    Happy California
                    United States
                    Member #157856
                    August 2, 2014
                    1522 Posts
                    Posted: January 18, 2016, 11:31 am - IP Logged

Sudden money changes people. 

Here in the U.S., you are allowed by the IRS to gift $14,000.00 to anyone gift tax free. If you are married then that amount doubles to $28,000.00  When you give more than that you will owe gift tax which could be 40% or more.

This is when you need professional help from Tax Attorneys, accountants, and Certified Public Accountants. Just call the IRS if you have questions.

It has been noted before that 70% of lottery winners run through their winnings within five years. We can now count Cynthia Stafford as another statistic. She has declared bankruptcy.

It took ten years for Sharon Terrabassi from Canada to blow it all. She is now taking the bus to a low wage job. 

Why? Why do sane winners do this to themselves?

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: January 18, 2016, 11:44 am - IP Logged

I had to look up Sharon.  Sounds like other people had a big hand in the demise of her bank account including the parties and handouts and loans which weren't repaid.

It happened to Sharon Tirabassi, a 35 year-old resident of Hamilton, Ontario. Nine years ago, The Hamilton Spectator reports, Tirabassi cashed a check from the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. for $10,569,00.10 (Canadian). Today, after spending almost all her winnings -- "big house, fancy cars, designer clothes, lavish parties exotic trips, handouts to family, loans to friends" -- she's back in the working class: riding the bus, working part-time, living in a rented house.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49784 Posts
                        Posted: January 18, 2016, 11:51 am - IP Logged

I really do hate these kinds of threads..they always assume the worst in people and don't like reading how winners are going to stick it to them and set them straight. A lot of people, yes your family and friends, are struggling and having a hard time..it's only natural if you win millions or even a billion that they could only  hope you would help them out...that doesn't make them a bad person for hoping you will or asking.

All too often we never hear about those kinds of friends and family members...it's alway those other ones who a potential lottery winner will set straight. It's just a debbie downer to read the negative attitudes towards those less fortunate.

I Agree! Without first hand experience the suppositions are nothing more than fiction.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: January 18, 2016, 11:52 am - IP Logged

On one of the TLCML shoes a jackpot winner said she gave several people $1M each.......and every one of them blew it all and came back asking for more.

Candlelight777,

Sometimes when people come into a major score people that aren't really hurting will act like they are to put the bite on the person who came into the money.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                            South Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #77167
                            July 15, 2009
                            556 Posts
                            Posted: January 18, 2016, 11:55 am - IP Logged

When I play the lottery I'm not doing it to bail out all of my family and friends.  I have over 30 first cousins.  I don't know how large your family is.  My sister, brother, daughter I would share with.  The cousins I'm close to will get the $14,000.  A lot of lottery winners are broke helping family and friends.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #50273
                              March 3, 2007
                              348 Posts
                              Posted: January 18, 2016, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

Sorry for the negative vibe.  However, I've seen this happen before with my cousin, and my best friend who won $10,000 on a scratch off (I didn't ask for a penny!).  Again, it was only $10k and his cousins were asking him to throw parties and bbq's and planning NY shopping trips all with HIS money.  It was painful to see. So I'm a little leary about how people around me would behave if I won, especially a minimum jackpot.  I absolutely would help my immediate family and best friends, but maybe not the amount some would expect.  Tis all, not trying to assume everyone is a gremlin and that there aren't good folks out there.  :-)

Edit: I also have a very large family.  I know for a fact I'd have cousins whom I've never met asking for money.