Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unclaimed £33m UK Lotto winner!

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 months ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
London
United Kingdom
Member #140684
March 24, 2013
566 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2016, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

The recent £66m UK Lotto jackpot yielded 2 winners but one of them still hasn't claimed their £33m prize....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410460/Unclaimed-33million-Lotto-winning-ticket-sold-Worcester.html

Pretty crazy huh?

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2016, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

The recent £66m UK Lotto jackpot yielded 2 winners but one of them still hasn't claimed their £33m prize....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410460/Unclaimed-33million-Lotto-winning-ticket-sold-Worcester.html

Pretty crazy huh?

What is the exchange rate $$$ between British pounds and American Dollars ???  It is hard for Americans to conceptualize how much 33m pounds actually is, b/c we don't think in terms of pounds. I don't even have the pound symbol on my computer keyboard. 

How much is 33M pounds in American Dollars $$$ ???

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #140684
      March 24, 2013
      566 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2016, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

What is the exchange rate $$$ between British pounds and American Dollars ???  It is hard for Americans to conceptualize how much 33m pounds actually is, b/c we don't think in terms of pounds. I don't even have the pound symbol on my computer keyboard. 

Around 47m USD.

2016 Won/Lost

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23259 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2016, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Pretty crazy huh?

Only crazy in the UK, where players feel a strange impulse to claim their prize instantly.  In the US it is common (although not universal) to wait until you have some idea of how you're going to manage your windfall before claiming the jackpot.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          599 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2016, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+much+is+33M+pounds+in+American+Dollars

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
            Member #164603
            March 8, 2015
            599 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2016, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Only crazy in the UK, where players feel a strange impulse to claim their prize instantly.  In the US it is common (although not universal) to wait until you have some idea of how you're going to manage your windfall before claiming the jackpot.

I don't find the impulse to claim as soon as possible strange.

Wouldn't you say US winners need to plan longer for reasons specific to us lotteries? Especially in non-anonymous states.

Keep in mind UK winners don't need to find lawyers for tax optimization as winnings are tax free and the media won't bother you.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2016, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Wouldn't you say US winners need to plan longer for reasons specific to us lotteries? Especially in non-anonymous states.

Keep in mind UK winners don't need to find lawyers for tax optimization as winnings are tax free and the media won't bother you.

yeah here in aust. there is a check box on the back of the ticket; near where you fill out name and address,  marked NFP*  It stands for not for publication.

but still people go public

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2016, 3:19 am - IP Logged

A lottery ticket worth £33 million - half of the UK's biggest-ever Lotto jackpot - was bought in Worcester, it was revealed today.

Camelot revealed the city where the unclaimed ticket was bought as it urged players to "check, double-check and triple-check their tickets."

Twelve days after the headline-hitting draw, the winner has left lottery bosses baffled over a failure to claim riches beyond imagination.

But news that the winner came from the picturesque Midlands city may help prompt some more players to check their numbers again.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2016, 4:21 am - IP Logged

A lottery ticket worth £33 million - half of the UK's biggest-ever Lotto jackpot - was bought in Worcester, it was revealed today.

Camelot revealed the city where the unclaimed ticket was bought as it urged players to "check, double-check and triple-check their tickets."

Twelve days after the headline-hitting draw, the winner has left lottery bosses baffled over a failure to claim riches beyond imagination.

But news that the winner came from the picturesque Midlands city may help prompt some more players to check their numbers again.

Lotto: Worcester is where the lucky winner picked their numbers

A National Lottery spokeswoman said: “Our player services team are on standby waiting for the ticket-holder to come forward and claim their prize.

"They have great expertise in helping winners embrace life-changing wins and making sure that they are able to start to enjoy their new found wealth as quickly as possible.

"They will be on hand every step of the way to guide the ticket-holder through the winning experience.

“We’re desperate to find this mystery ticket-holder and unite them with their winnings and we’re urging everyone to try checking in the pockets of clothing, in wallets, bags, down the back of the sofa and anywhere a missing ticket could be hiding.

"Someone out there could literally be sitting on a fortune! We have the champagne on ice and our fingers crossed that the lucky winner comes forward to claim their win.”

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23259 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2016, 8:40 am - IP Logged

The lack of tax on lottery prizes does take one thing off the table you need to plan for, but certainly is not the only thing.  There are many people in the UK who blow through their winnings in spectacular fashion.  I think if they planned better they wouldn't.  It happens in the US also -- by people who don't plan.  Those who DO plan typically don't blow it all.

So I will double-down on thinking it's strange that people claim their jackpots instantly in the UK.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2016, 11:16 am - IP Logged

yeah , I was thinking that too Todd. that the lack of need for tax planning encourages UK claims to be made too soon.  I imagine the spending starts, even before a financial plan is even  entered into their thoughts. hopefully nothing major  would be spent by me before i know what my annual income will likely to be. keeping in mind every purchase will need Maint. insurance, and ongoing costs.I sure know many people i talk to when we are day dreaming about a big win ; whose spending plans  never account for ongoing costs. There is never talk what sort of annual income can be expected. So to sum up anonymity and maybe  no need for a finance plan, prob induce early claims in the UK.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

London
                        United Kingdom
                        Member #140684
                        March 24, 2013
                        566 Posts
                        Posted: January 22, 2016, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

This guy is pretty much the 'what not to do when you win £10m on the UK Lotto' - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102582/Michael-Carroll--9m-Lotto-lout-stole-sandwich-Strongbow-worth-11.html

He's broke now after spending it all on drugs, prostitutes, alcohol and cars............

2016 Won/Lost

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                          Happy California
                          United States
                          Member #157856
                          August 2, 2014
                          1503 Posts
                          Posted: January 22, 2016, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

This guy is pretty much the 'what not to do when you win £10m on the UK Lotto' - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102582/Michael-Carroll--9m-Lotto-lout-stole-sandwich-Strongbow-worth-11.html

He's broke now after spending it all on drugs, prostitutes, alcohol and cars............

Michael Carrol is a rags to riches to rags story. He is still alive. He was active and strong before his win which helped him survive his ordeal.

Where are all his friends now? His entourage was quite expensive.

Argue

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Arizona
                            United States
                            Member #165073
                            March 24, 2015
                            220 Posts
                            Posted: January 22, 2016, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

The question is whether it was worth it. In the words of another Brit: "I spent 90% of my money on women, drink, and fast cars. The rest I wasted."

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3471 Posts
                              Posted: January 22, 2016, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

There's nothing wrong with an impulse to claim as soon as possible. Who wouldn't like to be able to just run right over to the lottery office and  actually have all that money right now? The issue is whether you yield to that impulse or take the time to make sure you don't make any mistakes.

Income taxes are the only thing that's different between a US lottery and a UK lottery, but taxes probably shouldn't be at the top of your list of things to deal with. A US winner of a large prize could be looking at ways to reduce the 39.6% that they could pay in federal income tax, but I'm pretty sure that dealing with the 60.4% you hope to keep and other issues are a more important consideration.

And I've got no idea where you'd get the idea that the media won't bother UK winners.