Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unclaimed £33m UK Lotto winner!

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 months ago by savagegoose.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
Member #164603
March 8, 2015
614 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2016, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

There's nothing wrong with an impulse to claim as soon as possible. Who wouldn't like to be able to just run right over to the lottery office and  actually have all that money right now? The issue is whether you yield to that impulse or take the time to make sure you don't make any mistakes.

Income taxes are the only thing that's different between a US lottery and a UK lottery, but taxes probably shouldn't be at the top of your list of things to deal with. A US winner of a large prize could be looking at ways to reduce the 39.6% that they could pay in federal income tax, but I'm pretty sure that dealing with the 60.4% you hope to keep and other issues are a more important consideration.

And I've got no idea where you'd get the idea that the media won't bother UK winners.

The media won't bother winners because their names aren't made public and they don't have to participate in a press conference - quite simple really.

London
    United Kingdom
    Member #140684
    March 24, 2013
    566 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2016, 7:51 am - IP Logged

A women claims the ticket was "damaged in the wash" - https://uk.news.yahoo.com/womans-33m-lotto-ticket-damaged-wash-085719768.html

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Bondi Junction
      Australia
      Member #57242
      December 24, 2007
      1102 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2016, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

The recent £66m UK Lotto jackpot yielded 2 winners but one of them still hasn't claimed their £33m prize....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410460/Unclaimed-33million-Lotto-winning-ticket-sold-Worcester.html

Pretty crazy huh?

It the UK, winners have the right to remain anonymous, it is highly unlikely they will be silly enough to parade around a television studio.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
        Australia
        Member #57242
        December 24, 2007
        1102 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2016, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

The recent £66m UK Lotto jackpot yielded 2 winners but one of them still hasn't claimed their £33m prize....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410460/Unclaimed-33million-Lotto-winning-ticket-sold-Worcester.html

Pretty crazy huh?

A woman has claimed she has the missing £33 million winning lottery ticket but put it through the wash.

She came forward after Camelot announced the winning numbers had been selected in Worcester and told residents to "check down the side of sofas".

The woman, who refused to be named, claims the paper slip went through the washing machine in the pocket of a pair of jeans.

She presented the tattered remains to Ambleside News on Friday, where she said she bought it.

Natu Patel, who owns the newsagent, said: "The lady came in yesterday, she was rather nervous.

"We had to make sure she had the ticket with her. She told me the ticket had been in the wash and Camelot has said she has to send it through to them in writing.

"She showed it to me, because it's been in the wash the ticket has slightly faded but hopefully they can sort it out.

"We put the ticket in card and in plastic to protect it and she has posted it off to Camelot. It's up to them to verify it and hopefully pay her."

The ticket reportedly has the winning numbers - 26, 27, 46, 47, 52, 58 - but the date, bar code and serial number are missing.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3301 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2016, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

I have heard of  document security being  encoded with magnetic ink. i doubt that all lotto tickets would be printed and know nothing about how expensive such tec  might be,. if it was cheap enough, I can see it being used. If i was  a lottery  agency I would consider using it as a " secret ID " for ticket sales. Even the time and date of the ticket purchase and maybe a store code. something the joe public dont know about.  i mean if a ticket goes thru the wash the magnetic   signal could still be enough to  properly id the ticket. i mean the embedded  time stamp and the time stamp on the data base would be identical. So a forger would have hard time guess that, even if he knew the format and could print   similar  magnetic coding, he would still need to guess the exact second the purchase was printed

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

London
            United Kingdom
            Member #140684
            March 24, 2013
            566 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2016, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

Here's a photo of the ticket:

2016 Won/Lost

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
              Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              879 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2016, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

What is the exchange rate $$$ between British pounds and American Dollars ???  It is hard for Americans to conceptualize how much 33m pounds actually is, b/c we don't think in terms of pounds. I don't even have the pound symbol on my computer keyboard. 

How much is 33M pounds in American Dollars $$$ ???

To make the £ sign, just hold down the Alt button (on your keyboard) while pressing the numbers 0163. It's also in the "special characters" section of the message editor (it's the omega symbol Ω  ) to the right of the smile face Smiley (emoticons) button.

If you have a smart phone or search bar on your web browser, you can look up anything...even the exchange rate for British pound / U.S. dollar

United States
                Member #172489
                January 26, 2016
                43 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2016, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

That ticket looks very suspicious to me.

London
                  United Kingdom
                  Member #140684
                  March 24, 2013
                  566 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2016, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

That ticket looks very suspicious to me.

I agree, it seems to be ruined in all the right places...

2016 Won/Lost

South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #18322
                    July 9, 2005
                    1707 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2016, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

To make the £ sign, just hold down the Alt button (on your keyboard) while pressing the numbers 0163. It's also in the "special characters" section of the message editor (it's the omega symbol Ω  ) to the right of the smile face Smiley (emoticons) button.

If you have a smart phone or search bar on your web browser, you can look up anything...even the exchange rate for British pound / U.S. dollar

Thank You !!!  [ £ ] The Omega Symbol [Never noticed it before !] !!! -What a gold mine of additional symbols to work with !!!

Germany
                      Member #164603
                      March 8, 2015
                      614 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2016, 3:20 am - IP Logged

Here's a photo of the ticket:

It was folded at least twice. The wear is to intense for 1-2 wash cycles. Anything aside from the winning numbers, one QP no less, is not readable.

If one of our UK members is bored enough it would be fun if he/she folded up a losing ticket and gave it two cycles in the machine. I think I'll try that with one of mine, though the paper isn't identical.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                        Member #169277
                        October 10, 2015
                        630 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2016, 4:11 am - IP Logged

It was folded at least twice. The wear is to intense for 1-2 wash cycles. Anything aside from the winning numbers, one QP no less, is not readable.

If one of our UK members is bored enough it would be fun if he/she folded up a losing ticket and gave it two cycles in the machine. I think I'll try that with one of mine, though the paper isn't identical.

Excellent point.  And I agree, the amount of wear seems excessive.

What type of paper are the UK tickets printed on?

London
                          United Kingdom
                          Member #140684
                          March 24, 2013
                          566 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2016, 7:36 am - IP Logged

They've updated the story with this headline:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3418217/Is-scrap-paper-33m-lottery-ticket-Photocopied-slip-clearly-shows-winning-numbers-severe-damage-crucial-information-including-draw-date.html

'previously tried to claim on scratchcard she dropped in puddle'

2016 Won/Lost

Germany
                            Member #164603
                            March 8, 2015
                            614 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2016, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

They've updated the story with this headline:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3418217/Is-scrap-paper-33m-lottery-ticket-Photocopied-slip-clearly-shows-winning-numbers-severe-damage-crucial-information-including-draw-date.html

'previously tried to claim on scratchcard she dropped in puddle'

The nerve! How stupid do people think they (the lc) are?

It looks like she took the scratchy side of a sponge to her ticket and filed of all identifiers. LOL

Germany
                              Member #164603
                              March 8, 2015
                              614 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2016, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Excellent point.  And I agree, the amount of wear seems excessive.

What type of paper are the UK tickets printed on?

I think it's the same type of thermal paper the US uses, but might be from a different manufacturer and have a different "recipe".