Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

quiz pick-4 daily game odds

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 10 months ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
Member #59354
March 13, 2008
3985 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2016, 12:00 am - IP Logged

I started playing pick-4 a while back and while thinking about the odds I came to the conclusion

that it's not as easy as one might think.  Lets say that we match 3 of the 4 digits to the correct

position, what are the odds for doing this.  One might think matching 3 digits would be 1 in 1000

but this is not true unless you only select 3 of the 4 digits places to play.

Math odds quiz.  Straight only

What are the odds of matching 1 digit  to the correct position with 4 selections?

What are the odds of matching 2 digits to the correct position with 4 selections?

What are the odds of matching 3 digits to the correct position with 4 selections?

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
    Member #132100
    August 26, 2012
    1079 Posts
    Posted: January 22, 2016, 4:11 am - IP Logged

I started playing pick-4 a while back and while thinking about the odds I came to the conclusion

that it's not as easy as one might think.  Lets say that we match 3 of the 4 digits to the correct

position, what are the odds for doing this.  One might think matching 3 digits would be 1 in 1000

What are the odds of matching 1 digit  to the correct position with 4 selections?

What are the odds of matching 2 digits to the correct position with 4 selections?

What are the odds of matching 3 digits to the correct position with 4 selections?

RL

I don't know anything whatsoever about Math, but:

If you have 1 position and 10 possible digits the odds of getting 1 particular digit right might be 1/10 or 0.1

If you have 1 position and 3 digits then the odds of getting 3 right might be 3/10 or 0.3

if you have 2 positions and 3 digits to get right maybe 0.3 X 2 = 0.6 as you now have 2 positions and that might be you double the chances (?).

With 3 positions and the same 3 digits now you might have triple the chances, by the way this turns out to be box or any order and not straight so: 0.3 X 3 = 0.9

With 4 positions maybe: 0.3 X 4 = 1.2 chance or 4 times the chance as with only 1 position box (any-order not straight).

1 position = 30 % chance, 4 positions = 120% Chance, Any-Order or Box and Not Straight?

I am probably wrong! (?).

------------------------

1 Digit and 1 position = 1/10

1 Digits 2 positions = 2/10

1 Digit and 3 positions = 3/10

1 Digit and 4 positions = 4/10

So maybe, each one of the 3 digits might have a 4/10 % chance for all 4 positions, but I am not sure if straight or any-order, but probably Box (Any-Order).

Make it 10 positions and the chance for 1 digit right on any one position of the 10 positions  might be 100%

I am not sure about any of that!

United States
      Member #132100
      August 26, 2012
      1079 Posts
      Posted: January 22, 2016, 4:35 am - IP Logged

If you have 1 position and 10 possible digits the odds of getting 1 particular digit right might be 1/10 or 0.1

If you have 1 position and 3 digits then the odds of getting 3 right might be 3/10 or 0.3

if you have 2 positions and 3 digits to get right maybe 0.3 X 2 = 0.6 as you now have 2 positions and that might be you double the chances (?).

With 3 positions and the same 3 digits now you might have triple the chances, by the way this turns out to be box or any order and not straight so: 0.3 X 3 = 0.9

With 4 positions maybe: 0.3 X 4 = 1.2 chance or 4 times the chance as with only 1 position box (any-order not straight).

1 position = 30 % chance, 4 positions = 120% Chance, Any-Order or Box and Not Straight?

------------------------

So maybe, each one of the 3 digits might have a 4/10 % chance for all 4 positions, but I am not sure if straight or any-order, but probably Box (Any-Order).

Make it 10 positions and the chance for 1 digit right on any one position of the 10 positions  might be 100%

----------------

But because you want all 3 digits right on ANY 4 positions (Boxed?) at the same time maybe:

0.4 /3 = 0.13333333333333333 to infinity for all 3 digits on the 4 positions maybe any-order or box, but I am not sure.

United States
        Member #132100
        August 26, 2012
        1079 Posts
        Posted: January 22, 2016, 4:48 am - IP Logged

The odds of 1 digit right for 1 position will always be 1/10 or 0.1 for each straight position, but if you have 4 positions and you want the digit right on all 4 positions then maybe 1/40 chance.

If you want the digit right on any-one of the 4 positions 1 time or more times as chance might have it, but at least 1 time then maybe 4/10 or 0.4

------------

2 Digits right on 2 particular straight positions maybe (1/10) / 2 = 0.05

--------------

3 Digits right on 3 particular straight positions maybe (1/10)/3 = 0.0333 to infinity.

-------------

Maybe you really mean box for all 4 positions and not straight as you said.

If so, see my other answer before this one: (Maybe) = 0.1333

I wonder if I am right or wrong?

United States
          Member #132100
          August 26, 2012
          1079 Posts
          Posted: January 22, 2016, 5:16 am - IP Logged

------------------------

Sorry my mistake, this is not possible:

"If you have 1 position and 3 digits then the odds of getting 3 right might be 3/10 or 0.3"

If you have 1 position you can't get 3 digits right on it.

-------

Forget about this  also:

"if you have 2 positions and 3 digits to get right maybe 0.3 X 2 = 0.6 as you now have 2 positions and that might be you double the chances (?).:

-------------

Forget about that whole post it is probably all wrong!

bgonçalves
            Brasil
            Member #92564
            June 9, 2010
            2126 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2016, 5:27 am - IP Logged

We also have the question of repetition of a draw the last digit to the next
            Draw, but not in the same position example
            He repeated the digit 8 but not same position
              In pick 4 we also have the twins digits = 00-99
            That may be carried forward in pick4 in 6 positions
            1,2 1,4 2,3 2,4 3,4 1,3
            The other two digits lack seen in the vertical position of each frequency and Statistics

United States
              Member #132100
              August 26, 2012
              1079 Posts
              Posted: January 22, 2016, 5:41 am - IP Logged

RL

I was wrong, this is way beyond me!

United States
                Member #132100
                August 26, 2012
                1079 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2016, 5:52 am - IP Logged

I was wrong, this is way beyond me!

"Lets say that we match 3 of the 4 digits to the correct position, what are the odds for doing this."

Maybe my question would be:

How many Straight pick 3 numbers are there on a pick 4 game?

OXXX

XOXX

XXOX

XXXO

I wonder if that is right?

If it is then:

1000 X 4 = 4000 Straight Pick 3 numbers On  A Straight Pick 4 Game.

So maybe to have 1 particular straight pick 3 right on a straight pick 4 = 1/4000

So maybe the odds of 3 straight digits right on 4 straight digits =  1/4000

Am I right or am I wrong again?

United States
                  Member #132100
                  August 26, 2012
                  1079 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2016, 6:03 am - IP Logged

"Lets say that we match 3 of the 4 digits to the correct position, what are the odds for doing this."

Maybe my question would be:

How many Straight pick 3 numbers are there on a pick 4 game?

OXXX

XOXX

XXOX

XXXO

I wonder if that is right?

If it is then:

1000 X 4 = 4000 Straight Pick 3 numbers On  A Straight Pick 4 Game.

So maybe to have 1 particular straight pick 3 right on a straight pick 4 = 1/4000

So maybe the odds of 3 straight digits right on 4 straight digits =  1/4000

Am I right or am I wrong again?

At my age right now and with as little formal education as I have, doing that took a lot out of me and was very hard, I am not used to thinking too much and mostly now-days, I can't even predict the pick 3 boxed any more as I used to.

I just no longer have the energy and the free time that I need.

It is a good thing that when I want to, I just don't give up, if I did, I would have never broken the boxed pick 3 game as I did so many years ago in so very many ways and How many people have done that? Educated or not?

United States
                    Member #132100
                    August 26, 2012
                    1079 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2016, 6:23 am - IP Logged

Even if it was a pick 3 game, getting 1 straight pick 3 number right out of 1000 pick 3 numbers with only 1 straight pick 3 number is very hard to do, if it wasn't hard, Would there still be pick 3 games?

It is not impossible, people have done it even with only 1 straight pick 3 number, but not very often.

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      3985 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2016, 7:02 am - IP Logged

Let's say that we start with 4 positions.  Each position has 1 in 10 odds for selecting the correct digit.

If we hit 3 digits in the correct positions and miss one then what are the odds of doing so.   Remember

that we don't know which 3 are correct until after the drawing.  We have 4 possible outcomes.

A+B+C

A+B+D

A+C+D

B+C+D

A______    B______    C______    D_______

Hint.  We get 4 choices to hit 3 correct, the problem is further complicated by the fact that any 1 of the 4 can

be the one that is missed.  Each position has odds of 1 in 10. 

Mind twister.

RL

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        3985 Posts
                        Posted: January 22, 2016, 7:17 am - IP Logged

Teaser.

The odds for hitting a pick-3 straight are 1 in 1000, so the odds for hitting 3 of 4 in a pick-4 should be less than 1 in 1000.

True or false.

RL

United States
                          Member #59354
                          March 13, 2008
                          3985 Posts
                          Posted: January 22, 2016, 7:24 am - IP Logged

Even if it was a pick 3 game, getting 1 straight pick 3 number right out of 1000 pick 3 numbers with only 1 straight pick 3 number is very hard to do, if it wasn't hard, Would there still be pick 3 games?

It is not impossible, people have done it even with only 1 straight pick 3 number, but not very often.

In around 18 attempts I hit 3ea 3 of 4 digit straights playing less than 5 lines or less with a minimum

of 2 lines.

To evaluate my system I needed to know the odds for hitting 3 correct positional digits out of 4.  The

odds for a pick-4 straight are 1 in 10K.  My first thought was that I could expect to hit 3 positional out

of 4 around 1 in 1000 plays.

RL

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            3985 Posts
                            Posted: January 22, 2016, 7:38 am - IP Logged

The solution is simple.

RL

United States
                              Member #41846
                              June 23, 2006
                              460 Posts
                              Posted: January 22, 2016, 7:48 am - IP Logged

RL

What are the odds of matching 1 digit  to the correct position with 4 selections?  10% * 4  40%

What are the odds of matching 2 digits to the correct position with 4 selections?    1% * 3    3%

What are the odds of matching 3 digits to the correct position with 4 selections?     .01% *2  .02%