Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The odds are you won't hit a major jackpot. So...

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 months ago by GGStarlings.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Why do you play the lottery

Because its exciting. [ 7 ]  [16.67%]
I like to gamble. [ 3 ]  [7.14%]
Its a challenge. [ 4 ]  [9.52%]
Because I'd like to retire with more money. [ 5 ]  [11.90%]
Its the only way I'll pay all the bills. [ 4 ]  [9.52%]
Its like a hobby. [ 9 ]  [21.43%]
I have an expensive spouse/girl/boyfriend. [ 1 ]  [2.38%]
Other. [ 9 ]  [21.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 42 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Chicago
United States
Member #171107
December 31, 2015
77 Posts
Posted: January 23, 2016, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

I play mainly as hobby and just so there is always a chance I might get lucky

Some other people get lucky playing lotto ,, I play hoping that maybe someday I can hit and be lucky like them

Cant win if you dont play!

I play within reason and within my budget

Inland Empire
    United States
    Member #118116
    October 22, 2011
    316 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2016, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

It's a one-way ticket to escape from Hell.

United States
      Member #171734
      January 11, 2016
      127 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2016, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

For some winners it turns out to be a two-way ticket.  But you are correct that for many people, while it is very improbable that they will win, it is their only hope of getting enough money to escape from where they are at in life.   I could tell them to stick the $20/wk in a ROTH IRA for the next 30 years but people in poverty can't have money sitting around in an account they have access to so they'll raid the IRA and it would be gone too.

At least it keeps my property taxes lower than they would be without all the contributions people are making to state education via the lottery.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3854 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2016, 7:01 am - IP Logged

For some winners it turns out to be a two-way ticket.  But you are correct that for many people, while it is very improbable that they will win, it is their only hope of getting enough money to escape from where they are at in life.   I could tell them to stick the $20/wk in a ROTH IRA for the next 30 years but people in poverty can't have money sitting around in an account they have access to so they'll raid the IRA and it would be gone too.

At least it keeps my property taxes lower than they would be without all the contributions people are making to state education via the lottery.

Hasn't helped with my property taxes, it's supposed to fund education and yet

69% of my outrageous property taxes go to the school district.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
          Member #106134
          February 13, 2011
          806 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2016, 11:31 am - IP Logged

I also see it as that too! LOL

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
            Member #85037
            January 7, 2010
            252 Posts
            Posted: January 24, 2016, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Poverty mindset focuses on short term gratification rather than long term gains.  This is why they will never take your advice.  That being said, I know this, I know the odds, and still spend $40 a month when I know I would be better served saving the money.  Like someone else said, one way ticket out of hell.  When you try your darndest to make life better for yourself, years of school, buy a house, obey the law, pay your taxes and it still all turns to $#@* sometimes that's your only spark of hope.

Idaho
              United States
              Member #76087
              June 18, 2009
              859 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2016, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

I pick 1, 3 and 6.  I study the numbers, I see it as a challenge and its almost become a hobby to me.  Believe it or not, I find it kind of relaxing, coming home from work, going over the numbers and trying to hit the next drawing.  To me its fun.

Me too.  I'm an artist-photographer, and though the creative process is a meaningful and important part of my life, the making of art is not exactly really "relaxing" to me.  I will torture myself over details and trying to get things "just so"... which can be a soul-heavy, draining experience.  And then there is the feedback from others, which can sometimes fall short of satisfaction.  Too much critical work going on, really.  But working on numbers -- that is always relaxing and fun to me, which is probably why I do it every day.

La Maga Della Spaziometria

Idaho
                United States
                Member #76087
                June 18, 2009
                859 Posts
                Posted: January 24, 2016, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Poverty mindset focuses on short term gratification rather than long term gains.  This is why they will never take your advice.  That being said, I know this, I know the odds, and still spend $40 a month when I know I would be better served saving the money.  Like someone else said, one way ticket out of hell.  When you try your darndest to make life better for yourself, years of school, buy a house, obey the law, pay your taxes and it still all turns to $#@* sometimes that's your only spark of hope.

The financial side of life can be so draining.  Money has never come easy for me... like, ever.  Maybe because I was an artist?  Did other kinds of work for the daily bread, but wow, has it been exhausting.  Number work is one thing that gives me hope too.  I have skills and I use them.  I expect that someday the financial crap can take a back seat to the more important things of life.  So to all of us lottery players who need some light at the end of the tunnel, I say, DON'T GIVE UP.

La Maga Della Spaziometria