Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Great places to lay low after a jackpot win.

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 10 months ago by mikeintexas.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lakerben's avatar - spherewall
New Mexico
United States
Member #86099
January 29, 2010
11119 Posts
Posted: February 2, 2016, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Tucumcari, NM

Bottineau, ND

Zzyzx, CA

I Agree!

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
    Greenville, SC
    United States
    Member #169870
    November 4, 2015
    374 Posts
    Posted: February 2, 2016, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

I want to eat at the big Texan restaurant. I've passed it many times. I have been to the Cadillac Ranch twice. I never thought of both of those places.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

Greenville, SC
      United States
      Member #169870
      November 4, 2015
      374 Posts
      Posted: February 2, 2016, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, Texas is a small country full of a whole lot of nothing. I've been over most parts. I like Dumas, and Wichita Falls.

Greenville, SC
        United States
        Member #169870
        November 4, 2015
        374 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2016, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

I forgot about Oregon. Gorgeous state! I love traveling there out of Cali on I-5. I also like the Hermiston area.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
          Oregon
          United States
          Member #168137
          August 17, 2015
          124 Posts
          Posted: February 3, 2016, 12:23 am - IP Logged

I forgot about Oregon. Gorgeous state! I love traveling there out of Cali on I-5. I also like the Hermiston area.

Pacific Northwest is kind of a babe.

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3475 Posts
            Posted: February 3, 2016, 3:34 am - IP Logged

I'd have to pull a Dave Edwards...I'd be in Palm Beach Florida. A multimillionaire hiding among other multimillionaires and billionaires. Like he said his money didn't stand out from them and that does make a difference. Why live somewhere where there is only a couple people like you in the city, go where there's a glut of them and try and blend in 

Unless you're stupid enough to put it on display your money won't stand out no matter where you are. You, OTOH, may stand out like a sore thumb. Frequently when the newly rich move into a wealthy neighborhood the other residents don't accept them as equals. Of course that can be a good thing if they ignore you.

Do you really think this guy wouldn't stand out no matter where he went?

CALI
              Afghanistan
              Member #118735
              November 6, 2011
              134 Posts
              Posted: February 3, 2016, 4:52 am - IP Logged

Big DAVE EDWARDS lived like a Pimp...died like a Pauper.

what can I say. I went thru about 1 Million in a 20 years time span

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                Texas Panhandle
                United States
                Member #136843
                December 20, 2012
                1282 Posts
                Posted: February 3, 2016, 7:44 am - IP Logged

Yeah, Texas is a small country full of a whole lot of nothing. I've been over most parts. I like Dumas, and Wichita Falls.

Actually, if Texas was a country, it wouldn't even come close to being a small one, not in size nor on the economic scale.  (the last I saw, Texas would rank 14th or 15th in world GDP ranking)  "...full of a while lot of nothing" is pretty insulting. 

Were you asleep when you drove through Wichita Falls?  I've lived in quite a few places in Texas and been to most parts of it and when I think of places I'd like to live, Wichita Falls wouldn't even make the top 100 in the state alone.  It's miserably hot and dusty dry during the summer and horribly cold during the winter, what with the north wind sweeping down from Canada and funneled directly through there.  While it doesn't have as many tornadoes as other places here in Texas, when it does have them, they're sometimes massive.   While it's not totally lacking in "things to do", you can do them all in a week or less, I'd bet.   I'd rather live in Old Mobeetie than Wichita Falls.

As far as going to The Big Texan; sure, stop there some time, if for nothing else than to get a postcard to send back home.  It's pretty nice for a tourist trap and its main claim to fame is the free 72 oz. steak...if you eat it and all the trimmings within an hour.   The last time I went, the rattlesnake wasn't too bad, but I've had better calf fries fresh and semi-raw just off the branding iron stove. (no salt for it except for the sweat that poured off my brow as I hungrily gnawed through the testicles that had been attached to the young bull not but ten minutes before) I'd recommend sticking with a cheeseburger or chicken fried steak, but there are much better places to eat in Amarillo.  If you do ever stop there, be sure and tip the fiddler when he comes around and you request a tune; he's a friend of mine.  His rendition of "Faded Love" will bring a tear to your eye...does to me, anyway.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
                 - George Orwell

Texas Panhandle
                  United States
                  Member #136843
                  December 20, 2012
                  1282 Posts
                  Posted: February 3, 2016, 7:54 am - IP Logged

Ill be on my porch surrounded by hundreds of acres, with many fences and gates that require keys and openers. They already have surveillance installed on "my ranch" ... I'll have plenty of No Trespassing signs... and in Oregon when it comes to ranches- you don't cross those fences because your apt to hear gun shots and be met with a very stern warning. So... I wont be doing any laying low. I'll be enjoying every minute of the freedom there! 

If I felt like I needed to lay low though, it'd be no trouble to hook up to our travel trailer and just go "camping".

Same here.  If they ignore the "No Trespassing" signs and somehow manage to overcome the state of the art security system and get through the door or windows and THEN avoid getting a fang hung in 'em from my shepherd, then I'm sure I'll be awake from the noise of the entry and the dog barking and they'll get two in the chest, one in the forehead.   I'll then sue their next-of-kin for the price of the ammo and for the cost of getting the blood out of my carpet.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                    Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #168137
                    August 17, 2015
                    124 Posts
                    Posted: February 3, 2016, 8:27 am - IP Logged

Same here.  If they ignore the "No Trespassing" signs and somehow manage to overcome the state of the art security system and get through the door or windows and THEN avoid getting a fang hung in 'em from my shepherd, then I'm sure I'll be awake from the noise of the entry and the dog barking and they'll get two in the chest, one in the forehead.   I'll then sue their next-of-kin for the price of the ammo and for the cost of getting the blood out of my carpet.

Hahaha! You are forget the guard chickens... they are black belts!

I havent ever been a millionaire thats being hounded by media. I can absolutely see how it could be a problem, but really, does it have to be?

How many people are really going out of their way to tresspass to beat down the door in a small town? Cant you get your interview(Or claiming with a trust or however you're doing that suits you) out of the way and just get on with it? How many days should I expect to be trapped inside my house because news vans and every Tom, Dick and Harry are at my door?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5614 Posts
                      Posted: February 3, 2016, 8:33 am - IP Logged

Actually, if Texas was a country, it wouldn't even come close to being a small one, not in size nor on the economic scale.  (the last I saw, Texas would rank 14th or 15th in world GDP ranking)  "...full of a while lot of nothing" is pretty insulting. 

Were you asleep when you drove through Wichita Falls?  I've lived in quite a few places in Texas and been to most parts of it and when I think of places I'd like to live, Wichita Falls wouldn't even make the top 100 in the state alone.  It's miserably hot and dusty dry during the summer and horribly cold during the winter, what with the north wind sweeping down from Canada and funneled directly through there.  While it doesn't have as many tornadoes as other places here in Texas, when it does have them, they're sometimes massive.   While it's not totally lacking in "things to do", you can do them all in a week or less, I'd bet.   I'd rather live in Old Mobeetie than Wichita Falls.

As far as going to The Big Texan; sure, stop there some time, if for nothing else than to get a postcard to send back home.  It's pretty nice for a tourist trap and its main claim to fame is the free 72 oz. steak...if you eat it and all the trimmings within an hour.   The last time I went, the rattlesnake wasn't too bad, but I've had better calf fries fresh and semi-raw just off the branding iron stove. (no salt for it except for the sweat that poured off my brow as I hungrily gnawed through the testicles that had been attached to the young bull not but ten minutes before) I'd recommend sticking with a cheeseburger or chicken fried steak, but there are much better places to eat in Amarillo.  If you do ever stop there, be sure and tip the fiddler when he comes around and you request a tune; he's a friend of mine.  His rendition of "Faded Love" will bring a tear to your eye...does to me, anyway.

Mike, you really know your Texas history. That was a fascinating read.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Texas Panhandle
                        United States
                        Member #136843
                        December 20, 2012
                        1282 Posts
                        Posted: February 3, 2016, 9:02 am - IP Logged

Mike, you really know your Texas history. That was a fascinating read.

Thanks, RCB.  I don't know if they still do, but when I went to school we had a semester of Texas History in jr. hi.  I also did a lot of research over the last couple of years to counter the people who object to the secession movement here (never mind there are quite a few others in several other states) and say Texas couldn't survive w/out the rest of the U.S.  I've proved to them it's closer to the other way around.  I don't think we would or SHOULD secede, but we'd do just fine and probably better than we are now.  (Texas is one of the states that doesn't get back what we pay in taxes -  something like .92 cents for every dollar we send to Washington)

I made a mistake in quoting trucker - "WHOLE lot of nothing."  I was banging that out, not for sure if he meant it to be an insult or not, then hit the table cell function, erasing nearly the entire post then Ctrl-Z to erase the last step and erased more of my post and had to redo nearly all of it.  Oh well.  I haven't got this new keyboard broken in yet...or got Windows 10 figured out yet, either.

I didn't mean to insult anyone from Wichita Falls, either.  I used to stop there to eat and get gas (sometimes I'd get the latter at the former! <grin>) on my way down to Denton and the folks always treated me nice...just like most everywhere else I've been in Texas.

Texas Panhandle
                          United States
                          Member #136843
                          December 20, 2012
                          1282 Posts
                          Posted: February 3, 2016, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Hahaha! You are forget the guard chickens... they are black belts!

I havent ever been a millionaire thats being hounded by media. I can absolutely see how it could be a problem, but really, does it have to be?

How many people are really going out of their way to tresspass to beat down the door in a small town? Cant you get your interview(Or claiming with a trust or however you're doing that suits you) out of the way and just get on with it? How many days should I expect to be trapped inside my house because news vans and every Tom, Dick and Harry are at my door?

We used to have some "neighbors" when I lived out in the country and they had guineas...they were better than any watchdog for calling out an alarm.

I don't know about Oregon, but people here pretty much mind their own business.  I was at the theater once when the guy in front of me in line was getting a lot of looks.  I thought it might have been because he had the whitest head of hair I'd ever seen, but no....  He turned and I saw it was Steve Martin, staying in town when he was filming "Leap of Faith" nearby.  No one bugged him for an autograph, but after he got his tickets, he went on into the show and some people spoke to him, but that was it.  Same thing almost when Tom Hanks was filming the last scene of "Cast Away" which was set not but little way from here. (He was getting something to drink at a convenience store)   I once bumped into Janine Turner in Denton...or rather, she turned and bumped into me and I recognized her.  I had been leaning in a little too close and sniffing...she smelled fantastic, an intoxicating aroma of White Diamonds perfume, a little bit of fresh perspiration and just a whiff of horse flesh. (She was wearing jeans and a country shirt and boots - she had a small horse farm nearby at the time)  I just stammered out " 'Scuse me." and she melted me with a million dollar smile.  I wouldn't have bothered her, though.

A few yrs. back I went over to take some photos at The Cross of Our Lord in Groom, Texas and decided I'd go to Claude where they filmed the Paul Newman classic flick "Hud" and get some pics for my blog and as I was getting onto I-40 from the on-ramp, I saw some older green Bronco pull over to the other lane to give me room to get on the highway....and it was Paul McCartney!(or his doppelganger) I waved in appreciation, he waved back and the woman with him - his wife or g/f,  I figured - smiled and waved too.  I wasn't for sure about it until I read an article the next day that he had stopped in Amarillo while touring  the old Route 66 across the country.  It just made me think that if that had been somewhere else, someone might have chased him down the road.  Not me....there's so much space in Texas, we reckon everyone deserves their own little chunk of it.