Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How often P3 digit repeats on top next draw?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 months ago by dr san.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Edibs3's avatar - not found.png
Saint Martinville
United States
Member #155819
May 30, 2014
283 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2016, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Your first problem is getting to the point where you could assume that one of the numbers will repeat and assume that it will be a double. If you somehow knew that would happen in advance then yes, you have improved your odds with a filter. However, my view of reality is that the past draws do not affect the future draws, so I am not sticking down 42, 48, 126, or 144 plays in a single draw based on the initial assumption.

What would you consider a good gamble?

Gambling by it's very nature is assumption and risk. 

"My view of Reality"  The House odds are the stricter reality.

The State government's Pick 3house odds and payouts are worse than bad.

Their game and their rules, but that's the gambler's reality.

The house odds are just like "Aunt Bee's pickles."  Like sheriff Andy Taylor says,"we just have to learn to love em' ".

Gamblers start at the top of those odds and attempt to work their way down.

Madison, WI
    United States
    Member #172977
    February 11, 2016
    515 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2016, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

What would you consider a good gamble?

Gambling by it's very nature is assumption and risk. 

"My view of Reality"  The House odds are the stricter reality.

The State government's Pick 3house odds and payouts are worse than bad.

Their game and their rules, but that's the gambler's reality.

The house odds are just like "Aunt Bee's pickles."  Like sheriff Andy Taylor says,"we just have to learn to love em' ".

Gamblers start at the top of those odds and attempt to work their way down.

I was just expressing my own opinion. It doesn't take long to realize that many people on here believe that past results do affect future results. Maybe they are right. I was just making clear my belief so as to explain my reason to be sceptical of buying in to your theory. That way you can discount my scepticism if you so choose for the right reason.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but this is the mathematics forum so I feel  like I should be able to counter a theory using math. The math simply doesn't change based on past draws, unless the draws are not actually random. I have yet to see any evidence that they are not random so I'm not going to be sinking a load of cash into a theory based on the draws not being random.

I play because I find it entertaining and exciting to check the numbers each draw with the hope of winning. I'm interested in using mathematics to gain some kind of advantage because I enjoy mathematics, I just haven't been convinced of anything yet.

Saint Martinville
      United States
      Member #155819
      May 30, 2014
      283 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2016, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I was just expressing my own opinion. It doesn't take long to realize that many people on here believe that past results do affect future results. Maybe they are right. I was just making clear my belief so as to explain my reason to be sceptical of buying in to your theory. That way you can discount my scepticism if you so choose for the right reason.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but this is the mathematics forum so I feel  like I should be able to counter a theory using math. The math simply doesn't change based on past draws, unless the draws are not actually random. I have yet to see any evidence that they are not random so I'm not going to be sinking a load of cash into a theory based on the draws not being random.

I play because I find it entertaining and exciting to check the numbers each draw with the hope of winning. I'm interested in using mathematics to gain some kind of advantage because I enjoy mathematics, I just haven't been convinced of anything yet.

Past draw history wasn't part of the demo at all, so it was confusing when mentioned. 

Everything up to now has only been about ODDS and how to best use those odds.

The only draw history used here so far has been, sometimes its a double, and sometimes it's a single.   72%,27%,1% 

The odds and payouts of Pick 3 are not good, but we have to know what they are. We have to make the best of them, and play within those limits.

Odds are hard facts and they never change regardless of past draws. 

We should know were the lines are.

The demo was for whatever happens regardless of out come.

History does tell us it will be Heads or Tails next draw. Both were options in the examples. 

Change of subject briefly

That said, using probability after we finish considering all the ODDS. That's a horse of a different color.

Now then, before we bet, Probability evaluations are key.

Yes, we do go there. Ultimately,we bet on it.

Probability, "is the man behind the curtain".   

Madison, WI
        United States
        Member #172977
        February 11, 2016
        515 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2016, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Past draw history wasn't part of the demo at all, so it was confusing when mentioned. 

Everything up to now has only been about ODDS and how to best use those odds.

The only draw history used here so far has been, sometimes its a double, and sometimes it's a single.   72%,27%,1% 

The odds and payouts of Pick 3 are not good, but we have to know what they are. We have to make the best of them, and play within those limits.

Odds are hard facts and they never change regardless of past draws. 

We should know were the lines are.

The demo was for whatever happens regardless of out come.

History does tell us it will be Heads or Tails next draw. Both were options in the examples. 

Change of subject briefly

That said, using probability after we finish considering all the ODDS. That's a horse of a different color.

Now then, before we bet, Probability evaluations are key.

Yes, we do go there. Ultimately,we bet on it.

Probability, "is the man behind the curtain".   

Past history was part of your demo, because your proposed strategy started with assuming that there is a repeat in the next draw and that it is a double. With the assumption, you are basing your pick selection on that last draw, in some kind of attempt to improve your odds for the next draw.

TBH, I'm having kind of a difficult time getting to what your points are in some of your posts, so it is difficult to respond to it all either agreeing or disagreeing.

Saint Martinville
          United States
          Member #155819
          May 30, 2014
          283 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2016, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Past history was part of your demo, because your proposed strategy started with assuming that there is a repeat in the next draw and that it is a double. With the assumption, you are basing your pick selection on that last draw, in some kind of attempt to improve your odds for the next draw.

TBH, I'm having kind of a difficult time getting to what your points are in some of your posts, so it is difficult to respond to it all either agreeing or disagreeing.

" because your proposed strategy started with assuming that there is a repeat in the next draw and that it is a double."

Oh well, the attempt was to show both sides using 2 demos and present both ways. Will it have a repeat digit next or not?

Will it, or will it not be a double or single? Which one of the options have the best chances to win according to the odds? 

The example of 012 was an arbitrary choice. However, the subsequent options/odds shown in the 2 demos were valid. Regardless of any 3 unlike digits.

Wisconsin my friend, thanks again for the math help. 

Madison, WI
            United States
            Member #172977
            February 11, 2016
            515 Posts
            Posted: February 15, 2016, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

" because your proposed strategy started with assuming that there is a repeat in the next draw and that it is a double."

Oh well, the attempt was to show both sides using 2 demos and present both ways. Will it have a repeat digit next or not?

Will it, or will it not be a double or single? Which one of the options have the best chances to win according to the odds? 

The example of 012 was an arbitrary choice. However, the subsequent options/odds shown in the 2 demos were valid. Regardless of any 3 unlike digits.

Wisconsin my friend, thanks again for the math help. 

IMO, your best chances according to the odds are the same no matter what the last draw was. Picking singles is twice as likely to hit as doubles if you are playing box because there are twice as many ways the singles can be arranged. Of course, generally, you win twice as much on the double. So, half the chance, double the reward.

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
              New Mexico
              United States
              Member #86099
              January 29, 2010
              11119 Posts
              Posted: February 15, 2016, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

IMO, your best chances according to the odds are the same no matter what the last draw was. Picking singles is twice as likely to hit as doubles if you are playing box because there are twice as many ways the singles can be arranged. Of course, generally, you win twice as much on the double. So, half the chance, double the reward.

What's your point?  Nothing anyone had spent too much time explaining  to you does any good.  Why not play the way you prefer instead of all the verbage?!

Drum

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

Madison, WI
                United States
                Member #172977
                February 11, 2016
                515 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2016, 11:46 am - IP Logged

What's your point?  Nothing anyone had spent too much time explaining  to you does any good.  Why not play the way you prefer instead of all the verbage?!

Drum

This is the mathematics forum. The OP was inquiring how the math looks in various circumstances and my point was to try to answer those questions.

Burlington, VT
                  United States
                  Member #173303
                  February 25, 2016
                  17 Posts
                  Posted: February 26, 2016, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

The probability of one of the three digits from the last draw being in the next draw depends on whether the previous draw had 3 distinct digits, 2 distinct digits, or just one (e.g., 555). If it's 555, then the probability the next draw will have a 5 in it is 1-0.9^3=27.1% (a bit less than 3/10 because the result could have 2 5's or 3 5's). 2 distinct digits is more likely, and 3 is even more likely.

Because probability theory only works for future events, let's calculate the probability of the 2nd drawing from now having a digit that is one of the three in the next draw.

prob(repeat given 3 distinct digits)=1-0.7^3=0.657

prob(next draw having 3 distinct digits)=0.72

prob(repeat given 2 distinct digits)=1-0.8^3=0.488

prob(next draw having 2 distinct digits)=0.27

prob(repeat given 1 distinct digit)=1-0.9^3=0.271

prob(next draw having 1 distinct digit)=0.01

prob(next draw having 3 distinct digits AND repeats in the next draw)=0.72*0.657=0.47304

prob(next draw having 2 distinct digits AND repeats in the next draw)=0.27*0.488=0.13176

prob(next draw having 1 distinct digit AND repeats in the next draw)=0.01*0.271=0.00271

Add these together and you get 0.60751.

This is a bit less than 65.7% because the 65.7% is based on the next draw having 3 distinct digits. But it might not, and when that happens, the probability of the 2nd draw having a repeat drops, and so the overall probability of a repeat in the 2nd draw from now is 60.751%.

bgonçalves
                    Brasil
                    Member #92564
                    June 9, 2010
                    2122 Posts
                    Posted: February 27, 2016, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

Hello tucker, how likely repeat a 1 digit of the previous draw in the same position
                    Example
                    Next draw gave 158 repeated the digit 8 in the same position

Madison, WI
                      United States
                      Member #172977
                      February 11, 2016
                      515 Posts
                      Posted: February 27, 2016, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

Hello tucker, how likely repeat a 1 digit of the previous draw in the same position
                      Example
                      Next draw gave 158 repeated the digit 8 in the same position

I believe each line would have a 1 in 10 chance of repeating. The chance of one or more repeating in the same position would be:

1-(.9*.9*.9) as a percentage. 27.1%.

bgonçalves
                        Brasil
                        Member #92564
                        June 9, 2010
                        2122 Posts
                        Posted: February 27, 2016, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

ok perfect=, 27% then 73% are not repeated. the repetition of the condition of a digit in the last draw for the next is better not to play in the same position position are 73% / 27%
                        The best thing is to play not repeating the position !!

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #1340
                          April 6, 2003
                          2450 Posts
                          Posted: March 1, 2016, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

1 in 10 for a repeat in any position, if a repeat is what you are favoring.

1 in 100 for doubles to repeat on the next draw in the same position.

for three single repeats, 1 in 10 twice, not 1 in 100, but 2 separate events of 1 in 10.

No need to get any fancier than that. if they draw a 7, there is one chance the next draw to get a 7, 9 chances to NOT get a 7.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Madison, WI
                            United States
                            Member #172977
                            February 11, 2016
                            515 Posts
                            Posted: March 1, 2016, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

ok perfect=, 27% then 73% are not repeated. the repetition of the condition of a digit in the last draw for the next is better not to play in the same position position are 73% / 27%
                            The best thing is to play not repeating the position !!

Eh.. I dont go that far with it. The fact is that the chance of a repeat is the same as the chance of predicting the result. When you look at repeats, you are effectively "picking" the same number as the last draw for the next draw. Your chance of getting at least one number in the correct position is 27.1% with either the same numbers or new numbers. The only way the odds are much different is if you are trying to predict the repeat before the first of the two draws.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                              Economy class
                              Belgium
                              Member #123700
                              February 27, 2012
                              4035 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2016, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

-> homepage -> daily 3 -> last 10 -> button repeaters

Look at it!