Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where are the two winners?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 10 months ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #106134
February 13, 2011
806 Posts
Posted: February 11, 2016, 8:32 am - IP Logged

Lost tickets I'm almost 99.9% certain.

Come on!  It doesn't take MONTHS to get all your ducks in a row.  I'd be ready to claim within 3 weeks at most.  Who would want to risk waiting till time ran out to claim?

MsLottery's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
    0% State Tax State
    United States
    Member #172909
    February 9, 2016
    16 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2016, 8:48 am - IP Logged

Come on!  It doesn't take MONTHS to get all your ducks in a row.  I'd be ready to claim within 3 weeks at most.  Who would want to risk waiting till time ran out to claim?

I tell you what, if the news media starts the countdown to ticket expiration stories, lottery buffs across the country will be losing their collective minds!

CrazyThudCrazy

Slovenia
      Member #172924
      February 9, 2016
      46 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2016, 8:55 am - IP Logged

I also think I'd wait till the last moment. Before I know what to do with the money, it has no business being in my bank account. What if the bank just happens to go bankrupt at that moment? In my country, payout from the multi-national lottery is guaranteed by the all the organizers, whereas payout from the bank is guaranteed only by the bank itself except the tiny state insured amount.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
        Green Bay
        United States
        Member #169391
        October 15, 2015
        1248 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2016, 9:12 am - IP Logged

Maybe they're being held by a bloodsucking financial attorney Scared

Ha ha good one RC.  You may be right.  Boxing

Never give up.  Banana

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
          Happy California
          United States
          Member #157856
          August 2, 2014
          1522 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2016, 10:38 am - IP Logged

In Calif, your name and town is released period. There is no way  to get around it. However, that shouldnt mean you have to do free or paid advertising for the lottery, i.e., press conferences, photos, statements.  After you collect the winnings, it can then be put into trusts that cant be traced back to you.

What bugs me is seeing people's names on computer screens at every place that sells tickets. That goes on for years and that does fall under advertising and you shouldnt be forced into it. 

About a year ago, the superlotto was won but I never saw the name. After months of looking, I finally found it on the lotto website. They gave the name and said the family needed privacy. I think the winners were able to demonstrate that there was a safety issue. I dont think I could even find their name anymore in that it was "buried" i. e., there is a way to manipulate search engines to make people very difficult to find.

When the lottery officials ask you to do the grip and grin photo and the press conference it is too easy to say Yes. I am not alone on this. The winner must give a firm NO. It is your right. Stand up for your family, friends, and anyone else that you want to protect. The word NO is not used enough in America. 

You will become a leader and watched for your intelligent money wisdom.

Use this Lottery Post site to develop your lottery playing and your plans to win. We do not want to see any more Rags to Riches to Rags lottery stories. Especially among us here.

Where else can you do this?

Coffee

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
            Texas Panhandle
            United States
            Member #136843
            December 20, 2012
            1284 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2016, 10:42 am - IP Logged

I also think I'd wait till the last moment. Before I know what to do with the money, it has no business being in my bank account. What if the bank just happens to go bankrupt at that moment? In my country, payout from the multi-national lottery is guaranteed by the all the organizers, whereas payout from the bank is guaranteed only by the bank itself except the tiny state insured amount.

In Texas, we have to go to Austin to claim and since I live in the Panhandle, that means either driving a long way there or going to Amarillo and taking a flight.  While I am sure it would be a slim chance, it would still make me worry a little bit that, having made pre-arrangements for the wire transfer to my bank, the manager might think "Madagascar, here I come!" (or to any other country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S.)

I think I could be ready to go claim in a matter of a couple of weeks, but I wouldn't do it before I had those proverbial yellow waterfowl marching in a straight line. (Or line dancing, then it would be a George Strait line) OTOH, with a huge sum like these as-of-yet unknown winners are due to receive, they're missing out on a significant amount of interest by waiting so long.  I guess a hundred grand or more wouldn't be all that significant compared to several hundred million, though, and they might be thinking it's better to be safe than sorry.    I dunno what I'll do for sure;  guess I'll cross that bridge if/when.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
             - George Orwell

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
              Happy California
              United States
              Member #157856
              August 2, 2014
              1522 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2016, 11:01 am - IP Logged

In Texas, we have to go to Austin to claim and since I live in the Panhandle, that means either driving a long way there or going to Amarillo and taking a flight.  While I am sure it would be a slim chance, it would still make me worry a little bit that, having made pre-arrangements for the wire transfer to my bank, the manager might think "Madagascar, here I come!" (or to any other country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S.)

I think I could be ready to go claim in a matter of a couple of weeks, but I wouldn't do it before I had those proverbial yellow waterfowl marching in a straight line. (Or line dancing, then it would be a George Strait line) OTOH, with a huge sum like these as-of-yet unknown winners are due to receive, they're missing out on a significant amount of interest by waiting so long.  I guess a hundred grand or more wouldn't be all that significant compared to several hundred million, though, and they might be thinking it's better to be safe than sorry.    I dunno what I'll do for sure;  guess I'll cross that bridge if/when.

LOL "Madagascar, here I come!"  Your proverbial ducks in a row. You also must be more concerned about the return of your money than the return on it, a Will Rogers quote I believe.

Now, How do we get the winners to slow down for the rest of their lives? Your new home, new car, and your investments are not going anywhere. I will start with CDARS.com . I will buy $50 million worth of CD's this way and wait for at least three months. While waiting, I will grow through this culture shock from moving from rags to riches. 

Your favorite charities will still be there in three months.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1248 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2016, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

Where are the two winners?  Hiding from Bernie Sanders!  Argue

Never give up.  Banana

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3475 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2016, 12:01 am - IP Logged

"Madagascar, here I come!"

You know they're not going to send real dollar bills through that wire, right? The manager can go ahead and embezzle money, but unless there was a screw up on your end the records will show that the money should have gone to your account. That means that as long as the bank has enough money you'll get what's yours. I'm inclined to think that most embezzlers try to hide the embezzlement itself, and hiding the money is a secondary consideration. It's definitely not as easy to hide millions in real life as it is in the movies.

Of course there's still a very good reason to be picky about where you have the money transferred to. For most of my banking I use a modest local bank that has total assets of under $1 billion. I've got no problem with owning 1% of their total assets, but I certainly wouldn't use them even as a brief parking spot for 5% or more. I'd guess that the lottery might not be willing to transfer a sizable amount to them even if I asked them to.

Compare that to Chase, which is the biggest US bank. They've got about $2.6 trillion in assets. Even if you'd been the sole winner of the record PB and got a wire transfer of $740 million or so, that would be less than 0.3%. Even if somebody at the bank  got their hands on all of it and not a dime was recovered and not a dime was insured, the loss would be spread over the entirety of those assets. You'd still have a bit more than 99.97% of your billion dollars. You'd lose about 210k, which would be pretty meaningless in the scheme of things.

WV
                    United States
                    Member #107175
                    March 2, 2011
                    100 Posts
                    Posted: February 12, 2016, 12:26 am - IP Logged

You stated it doesn't take months to get all your ducks in a row. It has not been months since they won it. Its been just under a month since it happened. My guess would be that they are waiting for things to die down a bit more and looking into ways to try to remain as anonymous as possible and meeting with financial advisers lawyers etc. I just hope neither winner has done what i have done twice over the years. Had the ticket in my back pocket of my pants and forgot to remove it before i did my laundry. Thankfully neither time there was a big winner from where i live.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10354 Posts
                      Posted: February 17, 2016, 1:14 am - IP Logged

The Florida winners are going to be announced later today, 2-17-2015.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.