Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Don't post pictures of winning numbers!

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 9 months ago by Luminus.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What prize amount will you not post on LP?

$10k [ 8 ]  [38.10%]
$50k [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
$100k [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
$250k [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
$1M-$2M [ 3 ]  [14.29%]
$2M+ [ 2 ]  [9.52%]
PB/MM Jackspot [ 5 ]  [23.81%]
Total Valid Votes [ 21 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
Jacksonville, Florida
United States
Member #140364
March 17, 2013
195 Posts
Posted: February 11, 2016, 6:08 am - IP Logged

With threads like "Post your winning tickets here" and discussions of staying out of the spot light if you ever win the big one, and then various amounts of top prizes on the state lotteries my question to you is, "What amount will you not post on the LP that you won a vast amount of money?"

Lets not forget people have been murdered for far less than the MM/PB jackpot

Jan Powerball pool contributions -$194 + $38 win = - $156 Net;  Feb -$320 TBD

Roanoke, VA
    United States
    Member #133540
    October 2, 2012
    8279 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2016, 6:19 am - IP Logged

I probably wouldn't post anything over 5k, not because other members but because the US government is garbage and the IRS is unconstitutional

headcrack's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
      boogiedown
      United States
      Member #95878
      August 19, 2010
      2887 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2016, 7:08 am - IP Logged

interesting... at one point it was ok to post a win cause it was believed that the i.r.s. was not going to come after small winners. but i remember what stop all that for me. it was around the time the government said they could go after people avoiding taxes and it somehow seemed to include lottery winners.. it had something to do with tracking money .. i think. .. overseas betting etc... but the story eluded to the government being able to hold a person liable if they found proof of winnings... and  that's when it all ended.. if i post my wins the government can match my username to me and go after me.... yup i remember posting about it and after that i might say i won like last nights 512 but you cant prove if im telling the truth.. i didnt win ..but with a pic of the ticket guess what theres a paper trail.. if i win 5 times a year.. the gov might have the urged to say hey u made over 1000 for the year i want my cut... its like a salary bonus.. it says the bonus is for 1500 but after taxes your bonus is 750.... yup thanks 1199 for teaching me the bonus take home pay...lol

067. 158. 568. 379. 248

358. 168. 467. 012. 036.

Ice Cube "shake em up shake em up shake em up shake em." Today was a good day

Four-Five-Six--Ciello--Five-Five-Six--Headcrack!   Bash

Jacksonville, Florida
        United States
        Member #140364
        March 17, 2013
        195 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2016, 8:31 am - IP Logged

But the question pertains more to top prize in a game.  $10k or more is automatically reported to Uncle Sam anyways.

Slovenia
          Member #172924
          February 9, 2016
          46 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2016, 8:35 am - IP Logged

But how does the US irs work? Don't they know about your winnings already? In my country the lottery house is required by law to report all significant wins to the irs. When you claim the winnings the house also takes the tax amount away automatically and wires it to the municipality that you live in. Is it not the same in the US?

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #150273
            December 18, 2013
            495 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2016, 8:48 am - IP Logged

There is a reason why here in Indiana you can not cash in winnings over $599 at retailers..you have to cash it in at a regional lottery office or Headquarters. It's so they can document and report your winnings and automatically take out "a portion" of taxes you owe. You may still owe at tax return time and the fed and state will already know about your winnings due to the lottery office reporting your winnings.

From my understanding..your only taxed per winning not total wins for the year of "small wins combined" that were not taxable winning amounts at the time of winning. I could be wrong on that though.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4525 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2016, 9:12 am - IP Logged

A picture is no longer worth a thousand words. Only one word comes to mind- "Winner!".

I am a rational realist. Most winning  tickets posted can be from someone other then the person who posted it. I can go to my local pop shop , snap a pic from the winners board, and Post it here, proclaiming that I won it. Luckily our state has the regulations to list winners (first or last name only) of claims that produce taxable filing. I personally could care little about the picture, its the legitimacy of the claim that is noteworthy.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

MsLottery's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                0% State Tax State
                United States
                Member #172909
                February 9, 2016
                16 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2016, 9:15 am - IP Logged

There is a reason why here in Indiana you can not cash in winnings over $599 at retailers..you have to cash it in at a regional lottery office or Headquarters. It's so they can document and report your winnings and automatically take out "a portion" of taxes you owe. You may still owe at tax return time and the fed and state will already know about your winnings due to the lottery office reporting your winnings.

From my understanding..your only taxed per winning not total wins for the year of "small wins combined" that were not taxable winning amounts at the time of winning. I could be wrong on that though.

That's why you always hang on to loosing tickets, to offset the taxes on a win reported by the lottery commission.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #150273
                  December 18, 2013
                  495 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2016, 9:21 am - IP Logged

mslottery i keep all of my losing tickets precisely for that reason Thumbs Up

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #61435
                    May 22, 2008
                    907 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2016, 10:26 am - IP Logged

But the question pertains more to top prize in a game.  $10k or more is automatically reported to Uncle Sam anyways.

Not true. IRS notified if over $600 winnings.  Over $10,000.00 is the amount they are notified of when it comes to withdrawing cash.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                      Happy California
                      United States
                      Member #157856
                      August 2, 2014
                      1513 Posts
                      Posted: February 11, 2016, 11:28 am - IP Logged

But how does the US irs work? Don't they know about your winnings already? In my country the lottery house is required by law to report all significant wins to the irs. When you claim the winnings the house also takes the tax amount away automatically and wires it to the municipality that you live in. Is it not the same in the US?

elios311, Keep using Lottery Post.com and USAmega.com and most of your questions will be answered.

I have no idea where Slovenia is in Europe. I am guessing that it is in the Balkans. The former Yugoslavia?

America has a population of over 350,000,000 and still growing. So, we must be different from your country.

The IRS here is huge. Lottery winners are almost always audited. Depends on how big your jackpot was.

Disney

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                        Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #168137
                        August 17, 2015
                        124 Posts
                        Posted: February 11, 2016, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

In order to have a better opinion, I'd first like to win something more than I could claim at customer service at the grocery store. 

Slightly off topic,

I have always been curious though, what amount limit would someone post about here. (Maybe not a picture, but about a win in general) I would be happy to hear about someone here winning a large amount, but I figured, if anyone here won a larger jackpot, we would probably either: never hear from them again, or they wouldn't disclose amount/reveal their win.

Do you think there are large jackpot winners amongst us?....

Slovenia
                          Member #172924
                          February 9, 2016
                          46 Posts
                          Posted: February 11, 2016, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

elios311, Keep using Lottery Post.com and USAmega.com and most of your questions will be answered.

I have no idea where Slovenia is in Europe. I am guessing that it is in the Balkans. The former Yugoslavia?

America has a population of over 350,000,000 and still growing. So, we must be different from your country.

The IRS here is huge. Lottery winners are almost always audited. Depends on how big your jackpot was.

Disney

Yes former YS. I know how the irs and the taxation of lotteries works in my country. I'm only curious about the US. Given the fact that some people would hide their winnings, I'm led to believe that your irs isn't always notified? Which is strange as here, the irs is notified automatically and the 15% tax is deducted automatically. You don't have to lift a finger and the state takes all your lottery taxes away including the smallest ones so there is nothing to hide.

Jacksonville, Florida
                            United States
                            Member #140364
                            March 17, 2013
                            195 Posts
                            Posted: February 11, 2016, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes former YS. I know how the irs and the taxation of lotteries works in my country. I'm only curious about the US. Given the fact that some people would hide their winnings, I'm led to believe that your irs isn't always notified? Which is strange as here, the irs is notified automatically and the 15% tax is deducted automatically. You don't have to lift a finger and the state takes all your lottery taxes away including the smallest ones so there is nothing to hide.

Here in the US, You can make up to $600 per year without being taxed by the IRS, after that you pay taxes.  I'm not sure about other states, but here in Florida you you can collect your winnings under $600 at any store that has the lottery. Anything over that you have to fill out a claim form and it gets reported to the IRS. Anything up to $5,000 no taxes are withheld but you will end up having to owe taxes. Any winnings over $5,000 you will have taxes withheld. 

But people kind of got off topic. The question was, what prize amount would you not say on here, just for the sake of privacy, because the IRS is already going to have your info from when you claim.

Wyomissing, PA
                              United States
                              Member #161050
                              November 15, 2014
                              301 Posts
                              Posted: February 11, 2016, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I probably wouldn't post anything over 5k, not because other members but because the US government is garbage and the IRS is unconstitutional

Any time one files a lottery claim for a $600+ win, the IRS is eventually notified. I suppose posting a large series of smaller winners (ie. 20 $500 Pick 3 tickets) could be an issue, it's highly doubtful the IRS is going to notice. They've got bigger fish to fry.

If one is truly concerned about avoiding the IRS, don't play tickets with jackpots over $500 and stick to claiming slowly over time to avoid unwanted attention. Once one is the $5K league, it's going to be reported, and the IRS will match the amount on the 1099 come tax time. Matching is the easiest way for the IRS to catch people seeking to avoid paying tax.

In short, the IRS is the least of one's worries when posting $600+ winners.

A bigger concern is taking measures to avoid showing the ticket serial number (retailers can manually enter that) nor the 2d barcode (ie. under the "scratch to cash" box in PA) until after it has been successfully claimed and payment received. Ideally, one should always block out such data before posting / sharing such images...

In PA, and presumably some other states too, one can cash instant tickets at self-service terminals by simply scanning the 2d barcode. Also, with a bit of effort, one can likely cash out numbers tickets that way too by copying the ticket, resizing, and printing out a duplicate to put into the slot - not sure if that would actually work, but probably will.

As for posting large winners, there's little worry, if one has taken some simple, basic precautions. The infamous Mike Dee on YouTube posted a $200K jackpot winner not that long ago with apparently no issues. He wisely waited to post the video until after his claim was accepted and acknowledged by the NJ Lottery.